11.18.19 Coach Herman press conference (noon)

bigup2dahorns

41 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I mean, that's all true, but then our record is inflated by last second FG wins over KU and KSU.  And the fact they're consistently winning one score games and we're not points to our seasons not being "eerily similar" and to them being better coached than we are.

That's a dig at Tom, not at you.  And I agree that Baylor's played slightly over their heads.  They look to me like a 9-3 team that might go 11-1.  But we look like a 7-5 team that's gonna go 7-5.

Yeah, I’m not defending the part about Herman saying our season is like Baylor’s.  
We’re 3-3 in one score games and actually played a quality opponent, so our record is indicative of our performance more or less. 

Baylor’s combination of schedule and luck is an absolute outlier and inflates their record by about 2 - 3 games.

But even if we had the same record as Baylor right now, Rhule would still be massively out coaching Herman when you look at talent levels of the programs, both now and when they took over.

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

we will never know what was said on the sidelines but we didn't need to "go for the block".  you risk a running into the kicker as well.  let the dude try to make a 42 yard FG and if he does we have 2 minutes to win it.  If he was not to told "do not jump, do not jump, we don't need the block" then it was a pure coaching failure.

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

While the onfield stuff is yikes right now, he does have a truly excellent off-field staff/apparatus:

Fuk that fegass bull-shite! I wanna beat tha shit outta other football playin teams, no need for any gay-ass debatin trofies.

NTTAWWT

gigem

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I mean, that's all true, but then our record is inflated by last second FG wins over KU and KSU.  And the fact they're consistently winning one score games and we're not points to our seasons not being "eerily similar" and to them being better coached than we are.

That's a dig at Tom, not at you.  And I agree that Baylor's played slightly over their heads.  They look to me like a 9-3 team that might go 11-1.  But we look like a 7-5 team that's gonna go 7-5.

I think it's worse than that.

For me this season has felt like we're a 4-8 team that's stolen 2 wins to be 6-4 and about to go 6-6.

• Like 4

Herman isn't wrong that a lot of luck can go into who wins 1 score games.  The answer isn't to lament having worse luck than baylor.  The answer is to blow teams out instead of going into a shell anytime you have a lead from the 2nd quarter on.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:33 PM, UTEX90 said:

What has he seen this year that make him have any confidence we would be able to run the ball successfully, especially given the fact that Iowa St. knew we would be running the ball. 

Herman has yet to have an offense that could run the ball with anything but the QB. And that's basically gone now that teams have adjusted. As bad as Strong was, at least we developed an ability to run the ball with RBs. Of course he recruited awful backs, so it wasn't sustainable after foreman left...

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I think it's worse than that.

For me this season has felt like we're a 4-8 team that's stolen 2 wins to be 6-4 and about to go 6-6.

It also really makes those what, 8? one score wins last year look like lucky accidents rather than progress. 

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Herman isn't wrong that a lot of luck can go into who wins 1 score games.  The answer isn't to lament having worse luck than baylor.  The answer is to blow teams out instead of going into a shell anytime you have a lead from the 2nd quarter on.

5-1 in one-score games versus 3-3 is a combination of luck and coaching. 

For instance, Matt Rhule's team is disciplined enough not to jump offsides on a FG attempt that would have left us enough time to re-take the lead. 

Matt Rhule's team doesn't seem to go into a shell on the first fucking drive and not show up offensively for half a game (LSU and OU and ISU, which almost pitched a first half shutout if not for an amazing catch). 

The only knock on Rhule's 2019 team so far is they got shutout in the 2nd half of the OU game.  

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The only knock on Rhule's 2019 team so far is they got shutout in the 2nd half of the OU game.  

Tech lost to Baylor because of a horrible officiating mistake -- so the knocks on the 2019 Baylor season are more than just a bad 2nd half against blOU.

Rhule got lucky in his victory against a TECH team that Baylor should not lose to this year in Waco...

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Tech lost to Baylor because of a horrible officiating mistake -- so the knocks on the 2019 Baylor season are more than just a bad 2nd half against blOU.

Rhule got lucky in his victory against TECH.

Yeah, I’m not here to knock Rhule, but they blew a 21 point lead at home because they couldn’t score a point against an average OU defense. An impressive feat. 

Edited by Ricky Butler
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Rhule got lucky in his victory against a TECH team that Baylor should not lose to this year in Waco...

Tech lost to Baylor because of 2 horrible officiating mistakes. The 1st happened 8 yards deep in the end zone when Brewer was going to be sacked and the DE was tackled in front the official, no call.

I think a lot of you will be really disappointed if you're expecting some massive coaching overhaul.  I'm guessing some changes with a couple of assistant coaches will happen, but I can't imagine Beck or Orlando being let go.  I think Orlando has earned some time to get everything sorted out.  Maybe Beck gets axed and Fedora comes on as OC, but I doubt it.  I think Herman believes his comment about having a similar season to Baylor and because of that he must think we are close.

• Like 1

Tex is right, UNLESS there are multiple losses of more than one score, or we finish 6 and 7.   Picture going from top 10 preseason to 7 losses.  One side of the ball will have to give up multiple coaches, I think.   It all comes down to how bad do tech and Baylor want to beat us.   Pretty sure Baylor is highly motivated and knows our offensive plays, of course. 

Tech? Don’t have a clue. 

Tex is right, UNLESS there are multiple losses of more than one score, or we finish 6 and 7.   Picture going from top 10 preseason to 7 losses.  One side of the ball will have to give up multiple coaches, I think.   It all comes down to how bad do tech and Baylor want to beat us.   Pretty sure Baylor is highly motivated and knows our offensive plays, of course. 
Tech? Don’t have a clue. 
Tech has had a shitty season under their new coach and could use a "signature win" to feel like they wrap the season on a high note.

If they somehow manage to beat Kansas State, the game will be for bowl eligibility for them.

Their players and coaches will be dialed in on this game bc it's either their last of the season or their key to a bowl.

Do you believe our players and coaches will be equally dialed in and ready? Particularly considering the likely outcome against Baylor?

1 hour ago, Girdwood said:

They are terrible. We should win convincingly.

Define terrible?  They had one really bad game against ou in their 1st Big12 game, but since then they've performed about as well as Texas.

Against all Big12 teams they are averaging 31.1 ppg and giving up 34.9 ppg.  Texas is averaging 32.9 ppg and giving up 32.4 ppg.

Taking out both teams worst loss...ou for Tech and TCU for Texas, the numbers are:

Texas - 33.8 ppg scored, and 31.7 ppg given up; with a standard deviation of 9.9 and 8.3 respectively 

Tech - 33.7 ppg scored, and 31.5 ppg given up; with a standard deviation of 6.6 and 8.6 respectively 

So not only are we about the same as tech statistically, but they have been more consistent.  

I think we will beat Tech because it's a home game, and senior night, but if this were in Lubbock I wouldn't be so confident.  

43 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Define terrible?  They had one really bad game against ou in their 1st Big12 game, but since then they've performed about as well as Texas.

Against all Big12 teams they are averaging 31.1 ppg and giving up 34.9 ppg.  Texas is averaging 32.9 ppg and giving up 32.4 ppg.

Taking out both teams worst loss...ou for Tech and TCU for Texas, the numbers are:

Texas - 33.8 ppg scored, and 31.7 ppg given up; with a standard deviation of 9.9 and 8.3 respectively 

Tech - 33.7 ppg scored, and 31.5 ppg given up; with a standard deviation of 6.6 and 8.6 respectively 

So not only are we about the same as tech statistically, but they have been more consistent.  

I think we will beat Tech because it's a home game, and senior night, but if this were in Lubbock I wouldn't be so confident.  

whoosh