The Best College Town In Every State

Vic Mackey

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

Well, all I can say is I'm sorry. Its a top five college town on the planet.

Well brah, you and I will have to disagree about what makes a real college town.

Top 5 ?  are you smoking crack or something ?  Now if you wanna say top 5 food towns in America, or historic areas, or scenic areas you'll get my vote on a couple of those.  Charlestons social scene might revolve around a particular school, but that doesn't make it a top college town when compared to the rest of the country.  Not even gonna go planet wide....

Without a football team or at least major college basketball program it's just a city (any city USA) with a college in its midst.  Now keep that pinky erect while yer sipping' yer expresso......

16 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A great college town is the town that lives thru the school it surrounds IMO. 

Take Boulder off this list then.

15 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Well when you read the methodology used, small size, cheap rent, lots of bars, and low college entrance requirements seem to score a town pretty high.

Again, Boulder is disqualified. 

8 minutes ago, Buffsoldier said:

Take Boulder off this list then.

Again, Boulder is disqualified. 

Why else call it a college town if the college isn't a central thing ?  Boulder seems like it's more of a college tow than some others that get play.  I don't follow the cheap rent thing at all.  Nothing cheap about colleges now.

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So UT is disqualified because it’s in Austin instead of round rock. 
hell, Arlington is disqualified because of municipality size. 
but Denton or Georgetown should win over college station. 

the town you're looking for is san marcus.

Edited by elfenix

6 hours ago, G650 said:

The only thing I've gleaned from this is you don't have any understanding about Charleston or Columbia.

So, my kid is now a Drill Sgt. at Ft. Jackson.   He needed some gear, so he goes into a "military surplus" store in Columbia.  He says to the guy hey...you don't carry the shit that I expect a military store to carry.  The guy says "this is a college town...we cater to the frats and sororities.  They have stupid parties every few months where they dress in camo, and they come in here and clean out our entire inventory".  

38 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Why else call it a college town if the college isn't a central thing ?  Boulder seems like it's more of a college tow than some others that get play.  I don't follow the cheap rent thing at all.  Nothing cheap about colleges now.

Boulder stopped having the college being a central feature of the town sometime in the late 90's/early 2000's.  It might be KNOWN for the college, but it's not a central feature thereof.  Tech companies, pharma companies and to a limited extent financial companies have become the central features.  Hell, I would go so far as to say that the college is now TOLERATED by the residents rather than being a focus of them.

The college and the associated campuses and other items still have an enormous footprint in the town, and always will, but it ain't the raison d'etre for the town anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

The guy says "this is a college town...we cater to the frats and sororities.  They have stupid parties every few months where they dress in camo, and they come in here and clean out our entire inventory".  

Sounds about par for the course.