aggy-King Ranch Coach Fired

Nueces River Rat

This used to be a damn good program once upon a time. 

https://javelinaathletics.com/news/2019/11/18/roach-announces-change-in-javelina-football-leadership.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1zK9yFOwDHtYruGNRUF3jX-q4ZpTuFaUo4mr-ZZ9XDFhC8tTAOxSpaW0U

KINGSVILLE, Texas - Texas A&M University-Kingsville Executive Director of Athletics and Campus Recreation Steve Roach announced a change in the football leadership on Monday, as head coach Daren Wilkinson will not be retained following the conclusion of the 2019 season.

"We appreciate Coach Wilkinson's commitment and dedication to the Javelina football program and the positive impact he made on this community," said Roach. "However, at this time, we felt it was best to make a change in the leadership of the football program.

"Javelina football has a proud tradition and rich history, and I am confident we will find the next head coach to lead us back to that prominence."

The Javelinas ended the season with a 70-14 loss to UT Permian Basin over the weekend to bring their record to 2-9 overall with a 1-7 mark in Lone Star Conference games.

Wilkinson concluded his fifth year at the helm of the program with a 21-35 overall record that included an 11-28 mark in LSC games. TAMUK claimed its first win of the year at 72-0 over Sul Ross State on September 14, the 126th shutout in program history, and added a 44-30 win over Western New Mexico on November 2.

The matchup against Tarleton on October 26 featured a record-breaking performance from senior Koy Detmer Jr. (Somerset, Texas) as the transfer from BYU went 37-for-65 through the air for 450 yards and three touchdowns in the 45-33 loss to the Texans. It was the fourth 400-yard game in program history as Detmer Jr. finished with the second-most passing yards all-time, tied the single-game record for pass attempts and broke the record for pass completions.

The Hogs finished with identical 4-7 records in 2017 and 2018, including a 2-6 mark in conference games, and turned in a 9-3 record in the 2016 season that featured a 24-17 win over No. RV Southern Arkansas in the Live United Bowl on December 3. The team finished 2-9 in 2015, Wilkinson's first year at the helm of the program.

Wilkinson's tenure included three All-America selections, including a second-team nod for Brandon Jones in 2016 from D2Football.com. 10 Javelinas gathered All-Super Region IV accolades, headlined by Torrey Thomas as the lone first-team honoree in 2016, while another 59 were named to the All-LSC teams.

The Javelinas also gathered five individual awards from the conference office as Jordan Thomas was named the 2017 LSC Receiver of the Year for the most recent honor. 2016 featured the remaining four individual accolades handed out by the league at the conclusion of the regular season as Wilkinson was named 2016 LSC Coach of the Year, and was joined by the Offensive Player of the Year in Myles Carr, and the Defensive Player of the Year and Defensive Lineman of the Year in Brandon Jones.

A national search for a new head coach will commence immediately and will be conducted by Parker Executive Search.

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep. They were better when they were A&I.

I did some undergrad work there when they were A&I  while they were making the transition to aggy-Kingsville and they still had some darn good teams up until around 2010 as they made some good and deep playoff runs missing the D2 title game by one game  a few times in the early 2000's.   Since I live in Corpus, I'd make it  to games a few times a season until the recent suckage which really began around 2013.   SInce then, I've might have gone to two or three games because it was almost like watching a high school team going up against a college team and it was very hard to watch.

Really if someone wants to write a book or a  research project  on how to self destruct or sabotage a football program,  they did it well down there.  An AD took over around 2010 and decided to redirect scholarship dollars in order to shore up his credentials at building up women's programs so it would look good on his resume for his next job.  On top of that, the football facilities look like a relic from the Sugarland Express movie.  Getting kids down there to play ball has always been a task, but they always gave some of these guys a second chance and the fact they had some very good success attracting NFL attention was major selling point, so the quality of facilities was secondary.  Since then, they have tightened admission standards somewhat and are not automatically taking anyone and they have to go out and recruit kids who actually try in the classroom.  So when they get down there and see the facilities and compare it to their high school's, they say never mind.   At the very least they are going to have to significantly upgrade their football facilities or rebuild them from the ground up to help with recruiting.    Tarelton, West Texas -aggy, East Texas- aggy  and Angelo all have new or upgraded facilities and that's who TAMUK has to recruit against in the LSC.  Even Prairie View A&M who used to be a laughing stock has some very nice new bling to show too.  

19 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I would, too, but that doesn't change the fact that Kingsville is a really fucked up little town.

It has it's good points , but it's like most towns south of San Antonio not named Rockport or a handful of others and it does have problems.   The King Ranch oil/gas production going down significantly back in the 80's hurt.  

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I picture him in a V6 Camaro blasting The Scorpions on a pair of Rockford Fosgate speakers mounted in a homemade box. A road soda in the cup holder and a spitter in the other. Idling outside of Kingsville Junior High waiting for the ladies to get out of class.

The Camaro and the Scorpions are pure Kingsville, no doubt. But that picture has about 95% too many trees in it, and the grass is too green. I think most of the trees in town are still around the cemetery next door to Memorial Junior High, though, so, yeah, that part's money, too.