The Night Vision Fanatics Thread

cabowabo

OK, about to pull the trigger on my first NV scope. Figured I'd save some cash going NV over Thermal initially, especially since most of my hunting is going to be done with pretty significant brush (which I'd assume limits what you're seeing with a thermal).

Down to a few options here and wanted to get pushed in the right direction:

- ATN 4k  - ton of really bad reviews on reliability/freezing issues - $630

- Sightmark Wraith HD - decent reviews - $500

- Sightmark Photon RT - the deal listed above. Still have one available that I could get a family member to pick up in San Antonio - $300

Digital night vision, which requires a infrared light, is not going to work well in brush because the IR light will reflect off brush and produced a washed out picture. In open areas, it works fine at 100 yards or so and under. I had an ATN 4K and I never had any problems with it. The 4k records video and audio, whereas the Wraith only records video. Both of these record daytime video in color. The Photon does not record daytime video in color, only black and white. If all you’re doing is night hunting, and you can get one for $300, that may be the route to go.  I sold my 4k and have gone thermal.  Thermal is the way to go for night hunting if you can swing it. 

• Like 1

Digital night vision, which requires a infrared light, is not going to work well in brush because the IR light will reflect off brush and produced a washed out picture. In open areas, it works fine at 100 yards or so and under. I had an ATN 4K and I never had any problems with it. The 4k records video and audio, whereas the Wraith only records video. Both of these record daytime video in color. The Photon does not record daytime video in color, only black and white. If all you’re doing is night hunting, and you can get one for $300, that may be the route to go.  I sold my 4k and have gone thermal.  Thermal is the way to go for night hunting if you can swing it. 

Christmas bonus has arrived. Why should I not buy this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pulsar-Xq50-Thermal-Night-Vision-Rifle-Scope-W-mount-Handled-NOT-USED/223798272090?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D52a132ba89804e4db0fcd4ee2113cae7%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D14%26sd%3D223798272090%26itm%3D223798272090%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ace578fbd-2367-11ea-a1d0-74dbd180041a%7Cparentrq%3A2502bbea16f0ad3c58d569feff9f961c%7Ciid%3A1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Okay, I go ahead and admit my stupid, but I didn't see my question answered above.

Thor offers what I have gathered is essentially 3 models with varying magnification in each.

Thermal (lowest cost)

Thermal Smart (mid range)

Thermal Smart Sensor (mid to high)

I've gathered the Smart sensor has the ability to more ballistics data and has essentially faster/more powerful processing of the thermal image for what ultimately results in a clearer image. I have a foot in the camera professionally world and toe in ballistics data. Additionally, the later two can record video.

Okay, so hypothetical, I don't give a shit about the recording. I want to hunt white tail, other deer or pigs at night. Ranges will be varied but normally under 150-200.

I care about clean shots. Money is no object but I'm leaning heavily toward Thor.

What's the best option of the 3 above and what am I missing?

What type of magnification is best for that use?

What State are you hunting in?  With that information, I'll decide if you're worthy of my expertise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife told me earlier this month to "go buy some night vision for your birthday" to deal with the hogs on our little farm... so I kind of have permission to spend money. Problem is, what I think I really need is both thermal binoculars and a thermal riflescope and that would cost a pretty good amount of cash. 

Also, not shooting any deer at night. Want to make that clear. You know, for any undercover narcs on this board.

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

How does a man with no land go about killing some hogs? Know someone with land? 
you can pay for the privilege, find some friends or go on public land.
So zero actual feedback and input.
Awesome thread is awesome. Thanks all!

You might try this over in Ar15.com. They have a dedicated Night vision forum.

On 1/17/2020 at 8:20 PM, Jkwellborn said:

you can pay for the privilege, find some friends or go on public land.

You might try this over in Ar15.com. They have a dedicated Night vision forum.

I just went over there and couldnt find it.  I found an optics sub, but not night vision. Can you help a brother out?  

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I just went over there and couldnt find it.  I found an optics sub, but not night vision. Can you help a brother out?  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Night-Vision/18/

Here are a couple of other good ones.

https://forum.snipershide.com/forums/sniper-s-hide-night-vision-devices/

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=3&page=1

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

You could do that. You’d have to be fairly quick and make sure you remounted it in the same spot. Seems like it would be a bitch in the dark.

Wonder if you could put some kind of luminescent markings on your rail to make that process a little less clumsy.

Wonder if you could put some kind of luminescent markings on your rail to make that process a little less clumsy.
Serious question. Have you ever tried to put one on? I’ve got one on my magnifier and I won’t lie, I couldn’t put it on it a hurry in the daylight. I could practice and get better, but in this situation, I’d prefer to use my rifle and just load it when I saw something. I can do that with my eyes closed.
Naples? How random.

There is a place called HuntCo down there. They used to sell guns and all kinds of other stuff. They quit a few months ago but I think they still rent NV and thermal. Ive got a buddy in Longview that rents it too.

There is a place called HuntCo down there. They used to sell guns and all kinds of other stuff. They quit a few months ago but I think they still rent NV and thermal. Ive got a buddy in Longview that rents it too.
I couldnt find the particular one in Naples on google, but found a bunch of them. Good Lord, 95 to 150 per day. That's crazy. I'd do it for say $200 a weekend but friday till monday is 600. I havent paid 150 a day for a $35K car rental.

I think I am going to order one of those atn deals and see if it works. I have had decent luck using nothing but a green light, but it would be nice to have the ability to aim and see what is currently on the fringe of the lighting I use. Would that scope work with a gun mounted ir light and feeder light at the same time? Does it get washed out possibly?

13 hours ago, lonestar3 said:

Riddle me this @cabowabo: If you were to pair one of these thermal scopes with, say, a LaRue quick disconnect mount system, would it be completely unheard of to detach your scope, scan, spot and then reattach the scope to shoot?

People on the interwebs have talked about doing this. As mentioned, I think it would be a challenge.  Also probably depends on what you are hunting. I think it would be easier to do hunting hogs than coyotes.   Also, the ATN Thor 4 and Pulsar Thermions (that use scope rings) are hefty and long, so they aren’t gonna make real comfortable and ergonomic scanners.  I bought my Thor and decided I needed a handheld, so I bought the PTS233 which is really a scope but works great as a scanner 

• 2 months later...

That's a lot of bacon. Do they go and pick them up and donate them to a food bank or keep them for themselves or just leave them?  When they cull deer here they go to food banks and restaurants.  Seems like a waste otherwise.  Was at the Great Trinity Forest park in Dallas and saw the last few pigs of a herd.  A ranger came by and showed me video of the whole herd or sounder (just learned)--said he counted more than 50.  I couldn't imagine walking in the open when a herd of 50 wild pigs crossed.  

22 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

That's a lot of bacon. Do they go and pick them up and donate them to a food bank or keep them for themselves or just leave them?  When they cull deer here they go to food banks and restaurants.  Seems like a waste otherwise.  Was at the Great Trinity Forest park in Dallas and saw the last few pigs of a herd.  A ranger came by and showed me video of the whole herd or sounder (just learned)--said he counted more than 50.  I couldn't imagine walking in the open when a herd of 50 wild pigs crossed.  

Wild pigs feed a lot on acorns, which are very bitter.  The meat is inedible except cooked some special ways.

It does seem like a waste, but the pigs are really, really destructive and breed really, really fast.  Kind of unusual to have a pest animal that's so large, but there it is.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Wild pigs feed a lot on acorns, which are very bitter.  The meat is inedible except cooked some special ways.

It does seem like a waste, but the pigs are really, really destructive and breed really, really fast.  Kind of unusual to have a pest animal that's so large, but there it is.

I've seen the destruction they've wrought and won't argue their merits.  Just was hoping they'd have some kind of way of being prepared.  They don't really have many predators here so their large litters pretty much grow up quick to reproduce more.   This is a pretty good blog for finding birds and animals in the DFW area: https://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2014/12/03/chris-jacksons-dfw-urban-wildlife/what-is-the-great-trinity-forest/  But I've seen quite a few feral hogs in some of these areas.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

I've seen the destruction they've wrought and won't argue their merits.  Just was hoping they'd have some kind of way of being prepared.  They don't really have many predators here so their large litters pretty much grow up quick to reproduce more.   This is a pretty good blog for finding birds and animals in the DFW area: https://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2014/12/03/chris-jacksons-dfw-urban-wildlife/what-is-the-great-trinity-forest/  But I've seen quite a few feral hogs in some of these areas.  

I mountain bike at Goat Island Preserve, down there, fairly often.  It's not a super-challenging trail, but is more "in the woods" than any other in Dallas and therefore kind of cool.  It runs by Trinity Lock & Dam No. 2.  One of the loops is called "wild hogs," but I've never seen any. 

Plenty of people eat wild hogs. I’ve had quite a few and they’re fine.
  • Like 2