The Night Vision Fanatics Thread

cabowabo

I use the tenderloins for sausage for gosh sakes. Some hogs have little fat caps, some don’t. I’ll add fat when I need to. I would never use beef tenderloin to make jerky, but when you have a shit load of hogs to shoot, why not?

On 1/24/2020 at 8:34 AM, HOOKEM4 said:

Shooting deer at night is illegal. You said "I want to hunt white tail, other deer or pigs at night." I just want to make sure you know this fact. Wouldn't want you getting hung up by the game warden out of ignorance.

And keeping aquatic rodents, you know, within city limits, uh, well, that ain’t legal either...

Got it in today.

I could easily pick up trees in the backyard and I have one of those green electrical metal boxes 125ish yards away and it was glowing, I could also see the sticker on the box for some reason. You would think the temperature would be the same. Comparing to YT videos with guys running FLIR 5k scopes, yea, big difference. No animals or people to see yet, i scanned for squirrels and coons but none to be found. (Would have seen them, i could see leaves)

Give me a few weeks to do a better review, probably going to the lease in the next 2 weeks. But so far, impressed for the absolute king of entry level thermal scopes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Got it in today.

I could easily pick up trees in the backyard and I have one of those green electrical metal boxes 125ish yards away and it was glowing, I could also see the sticker on the box for some reason. You would think the temperature would be the same. Comparing to YT videos with guys running FLIR 5k scopes, yea, big difference. No animals or people to see yet, i scanned for squirrels and coons but none to be found. (Would have seen them, i could see leaves)

Give me a few weeks to do a better review, probably going to the lease in the next 2 weeks. But so far, impressed for the absolute king of entry level thermal scopes.
@markstanco Full report Sargeant!

• 3 weeks later...

I’m also kind of finding out that a brand is really only as good as a warranty and the person constructing the unit. It sounds like for civilian use, everyone is buying the same internal components and assembling into either their housing or common housings. Chatting with this guy in Tulsa it sounds like I can get into a green PSV14 for 3k. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lat22 said:

We have a helmet mounted PVS14.  It's really cool and works great for short distances.  If you're wanting to scan a field for hogs or coyotes, you won't see anything much past 100 yards. 

I’m pairing with an Illuminator which I was told gets you about 150. 

• 2 months later...

My wife is awesome at buying great gifts but terrible at keeping anything a secret. She bought me a base model atn thermal. I think it is the one stanco posted above.. Supposed to be here just in time for me to take it for a spin on my newly overhauled suppressed 300bo sbr. I am geeking out like a kid before Christmas. Hope to get some video of dead pigs come next weekend.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got my first double last night.  These two pigs appeared at different locations in the pasture as I was climbing my hog stand.  When I sat down, they saw each other and started snorting, etc.  They then ran to each other and I figured they were either gonna fight or fuck.  Before I could get my popcorn and lube out (for either scenario), the got lined up perfectly and I took them both out.   

• Hook 'Em 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 3:03 PM, cabowabo said:

Got my first double last night.  These two pigs appeared at different locations in the pasture as I was climbing my hog stand.  When I sat down, they saw each other and started snorting, etc.  They then ran to each other and I figured they were either gonna fight or fuck.  Before I could get my popcorn and lube out (for either scenario), the got lined up perfectly and I took them both out.   

This is amazing.  I’m on a new lease with pigs coming by the dozen after dark.  That Thor 4 384 looks amazing and I’m trying to think of why I shouldn’t buy it and I’m coming up blank.  Is there anything better for the price for < 150 yd pig hunting? 

• 2 weeks later...