The Night Vision Fanatics Thread

cabowabo

GODDAMNIT Handcruser!

I’m going this weekend. I don’t have NV yet but my buddy does. I did buy a nice green light that lights up the pond pretty good. I can use that if I see some hogs.

But man is it fun. Pitch black, walking around, calling hogs, listening to coyotes, etc.

I can’t wait to get a NV scope. But I’m a covid casualty so it must wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Hook 'Em 1

GODDAMNIT Handcruser!

You’re also going to save 7k in maintenance expenses by switching to the newer boat.

I mean, it’s kind of disgusting how much you’re saving. The economy needs you.

Self care + stimulating the economy is really a win-win.

3 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

You’re also going to save 7k in maintenance expenses by switching to the newer boat.

I mean, it’s kind of disgusting how much you’re saving. The economy needs you.

Self care + stimulating the economy is really a win-win.

You make excellent points that I find difficult to argue against.

What sorcery is this?

8 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Have you used yours yet? Also, check your pm.

Not yet.  However I am going to south texas with a friend in about 3 weeks for a deer hunt.  I am not released to shoot a large caliber rifle yet but my AR I can handle.  So, I will put it on there and shoot the pigs. 

From the gun owner's thread: Anyone running a thermal optic they'd recommend? I was poised to purchase an ATN ThOR 4 but the Amazon reviews have scared me off. My buddy has a FLIR but it looks like they're out of the consumer market. Budget is $2000-$3000.

What would I lose if I went instead with a lower priced optic like the ATN 3-14x X-Sight 4K Pro that Lat22 posted on Page 1?  

Not finding a really good balance between price and features.  Host gun will be a bolt action 300BLK suppressor purchase pending authorization.  Nocturnal hog and coyote elimination out to 200YDS.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigshark88 said:

From the gun owner's thread: Anyone running a thermal optic they'd recommend? I was poised to purchase an ATN ThOR 4 but the Amazon reviews have scared me off. My buddy has a FLIR but it looks like they're out of the consumer market. Budget is $2000-$3000.

What would I lose if I went instead with a lower priced optic like the ATN 3-14x X-Sight 4K Pro that Lat22 posted on Page 1?  

Not finding a really good balance between price and features.  Host gun will be a bolt action 300BLK suppressor purchase pending authorization.  Nocturnal hog and coyote elimination out to 200YDS.  

I had an X-Sight Pro before I went thermal.  They work good, but you're gonna want a thermal, so you might as well put that $500 to $700 towards a thermal now.  I have an ATN Thor 4 384 2x8 and mine has worked well.  I got mine for $2,049, and ATN was running a rate for $200 at the time, so ultimate price was $1,849.  For that price, I have enjoyed mine and have no complaints.  For the $2699 they sell for direct from ATN, I might look at other options.  Maybe the Pulsar Thermion XQ38 (if you can find one) for $3,300.  Or if onboard video recording is not a big deal, I don't think you could go wrong with the Bering Optics Hogster R 25mm ($2,295) or Hogster R 35mm ($2,675).  Plenty of YouTube videos on these two optics.  And, you can add a DVR for recording if you want to do that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Thank you for replying. I spent some time on YouTube this afternoon and picked up on the NV / Thermal dichotomy.

The same ATN optic you describe above is $2500 on Amazon right now. The first 12 reviews basically consistently say that the unit is a dud and ATN is/was unresponsive.

I may park the rifle in the back of the safe and wait for the market to get back to normal before putting this project together. In a year or so I will have the can and I will hopefully be able to get ammo at the local shops. I could go a different direction with the bolt gun at that point if we're still in crazy land.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol at 300BO shooting 220’s out to 200 yards.

That’s a bad idea.

I've got a hog problem:
Pigs1-jpeg.png
Pigs2.png
Pulled the trigger and bought an ATN Thor 4, used PayPal credit, 6 months no interest, I can hide that from Mrs. CHIEF. But first things first, CHIEF Jr. and I are gonna take turns watching each other fart.
CHIEF
Please post an ATN in-field report after you wring it out.

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2020 at 9:55 AM, CHIEF said:

Got the ATN mounted. Gonna go get it zeroed, then, should be good to go. It was really easy to get familiar with. ATN has great videos on YouTube that explains things better than the written instructions:

ARThor4.png

CHIEF

That ATN looks good on there.  It's almost like you can hear the scary black gun saying - tumblr_mqdp08TGS71sp9fcho1_500.gif

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

And for Chief >>> Advantages of having no Mrs. Cajun.

I fessed up, but got no grief. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I think she is going to do a little night hunting as well. She has never been shy on slinging some lead. But yeah, having a no Mrs. Cajun makes for nicer toys.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

Lol at 300BO shooting 220’s out to 200 yards.

That’s a bad idea.

Umm, supersonic would shoot that far. He didn’t mention subs.

That said, I’m not sure I’d shoot a deer at 200 with mine. A pig or coyote would be ass out. Might not actually hit him though.

Umm, supersonic would shoot that far. He didn’t mention subs.

That said, I’m not sure I’d shoot a deer at 200 with mine. A pig or coyote would be ass out. Might not actually hit him though.

Yeah I’m not sure where I got the 220 from. Sorry about that.

200 yards is on the extreme end for me with supers. 150 and in I feel good.

• Like 1

Staked out at the 6 acres, 1:30 in the morning. Can hear ‘um, can’t smell ‘um. On the board with you assholes. Awful Surly. Almost in a neighborhood, think I heard a domestic dispute, might ruin the night. 

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

4 hours ago, Cajun said:

Well, 2020 strikes again.  Thought I'd have this right after Xmas, but just got this forwarded to me by the seller.  FUUUUUUURK!!!  Meanwhile, Charlie's out there getting stronger, more dug in -

Image 12-22-20 at 10.26 AM.jpeg

Get you a Super Hogster for less than half the price of the Nox and commence operations.  You'll save a pile of cash (ie...profit) and don't have to be a beta tester for a new to market thermal scope.  Mi dos centavos.

I hear ya CW, I really do.  Thought about that one, along with a few others, and I considered the very points you're making.  After having bought the first year that Ford went to the 6.0 Powerstroke and having endured that money pit of a mistake for years because "I just love my black truck!", I am sensitive to the whole "Beta tester" point you've so delicately made here.

Couple of things brought me back to the Nox.  

First, and to your "beta" objection, the Nox has the same guts (internal components) as their Halo series stuff, which are very well vetted and highly regarded.  Still a roll of the dice to some extent, but I've been told by several retailers (who have other things to sell, and some more expensive) that NVision is as good as they come when it comes to backing up their products.  In fact, the pic below is the seller's personal Halo that he dropped on the concrete floor of his garage.  He sent it back into NVision and they replace it no questions asked.  Now, he does sell a lot of their procucts and I don't, so...

Second, I don't believe the Hogster has a model that can be swapped off a helmet onto a weapon in just a few seconds.  That was a big selling point for me.

Third, I guess, is I'm just stupid this way.

Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 4.37.37 PM.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, so I pulled the trigger and ordered one of these last night from a seller on Amazon. 

https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-monocular-ots-hd-640-2-5x-25x

Seems like the price has come down a tiny bit from the fall now that it's after Christmas and the model is discontinued. 

I figure a monocular is a better starting point and more practical and versatile than a rifle scope for general usage and if I decide I like it and see opportunities to shoot after dark on my place, I can go ahead and get a rifle scope later. I'm sure this will likely happen within a week, but I trying to be methodical here LOL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I took delivery of a Bering Optics Super Hogster this afternoon and hope to be able to obtain some hog shot video this evening. Early impressions are very positive. Much prefer this form factor than the ATN Thor 4 which I will be selling. Also, much lighter than the ATN. Standby.....

PS: And don't make fun of my God damn chair.

28532b2d27a73f81781f4a5485a5d827.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1