The Night Vision Fanatics Thread

cabowabo

3 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I took delivery of a Bering Optics Super Hogster this afternoon and hope to be able to obtain some hog shot video this evening. Early impressions are very positive. Much prefer this form factor than the ATN Thor 4 which I will be selling. Also, much lighter than the ATN. Standby.....

PS: And don't make fun of my God damn chair.

28532b2d27a73f81781f4a5485a5d827.jpg

Dat carpet doe...

Well, on Monday night I passed on a group of hogs because there was still a little daylight and I wanted to christen this thing in the darkness.  I figured they would hang at the feeder until the sun went down, but they caught wind of something and hauled ass never to return.  I did get some nice footage of a deer at the feeder.  Last night, I was able to squeeze in a hunt before the rain came.  The drizzle started coming down (not good thermal conditions) when 2 pigs walked out.  I dispatched one, but very clearly missed the one running off.  So far, so good.  The PQ is better through the eyepiece than video.  Comparing it to my Thor 4 as far as PQ, they are pretty close.  The Thor does have a great picture.  One thing I noticed with the Hogster is that is a flash of horizontal lines that appear on the screen very briefly during a gunshot.  I've seen this with other thermals, but it seems pretty pronounced.  My Thor has more of a flash when the trigger is pulled.  Can't say I notice these lines on the Hogster through the eyepiece, but I'm not exactly paying attention to that sort of thing when I am conducting business through the scope. I recorded the audio with my phone and spliced it in using iMovie.  I have a Sony voice recorder and have ordered a lapel mic so I can get professional and shit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I'm 99.999% pig #2 did not escape unscathed.
So, Wabo, when it whites out for a few seconds here and there is that the humidity/drizzle causing it?
Inquiring minds...
Negative. That was me closing the front scope cover trying to keep it dry until they were in position to take fire. I am going to call Bering Optics on the lines and distortion that occurs with each shot. To me it seems excessive. Will update accordingly.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/20/2021 at 7:52 AM, cabowabo said:

Well, on Monday night I passed on a group of hogs because there was still a little daylight and I wanted to christen this thing in the darkness.  I figured they would hang at the feeder until the sun went down, but they caught wind of something and hauled ass never to return.  I did get some nice footage of a deer at the feeder.  Last night, I was able to squeeze in a hunt before the rain came.  The drizzle started coming down (not good thermal conditions) when 2 pigs walked out.  I dispatched one, but very clearly missed the one running off.  So far, so good.  The PQ is better through the eyepiece than video.  Comparing it to my Thor 4 as far as PQ, they are pretty close.  The Thor does have a great picture.  One thing I noticed with the Hogster is that is a flash of horizontal lines that appear on the screen very briefly during a gunshot.  I've seen this with other thermals, but it seems pretty pronounced.  My Thor has more of a flash when the trigger is pulled.  Can't say I notice these lines on the Hogster through the eyepiece, but I'm not exactly paying attention to that sort of thing when I am conducting business through the scope. I recorded the audio with my phone and spliced it in using iMovie.  I have a Sony voice recorder and have ordered a lapel mic so I can get professional and shit.

I'm pretty sure you nailed the second pig at least twice if not three times. You might could track it the following morning.  

Edited by Mdhorn

59 minutes ago, cabowabo said:
1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:
I'm pretty sure you nailed the second pig at least twice if not three times. You might could track it the following morning.  

Yeah, he did look like he took a hit there late. I did drive around and gave a look but didn't see any sign of it.

WhY dO YoU NeeD mORe ThaN OnE BuLleT!? Looks like you had 2 good shots on piggie for sure.

Went out for hogs last night and had some coyotes come out.  Notice the hog way in the background right before I pull the trigger.  Should have had two of these bastards, but I had missed my last 3 or 4 coyote shots, so I'll take one.  Worthy adversaries they are.  Also managed to work in a malfunction and some sweet ass coyote callin.

Edited by cabowabo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Went out for hogs last night and had some coyotes come out.  Notice the hog way in the background right before I pull the trigger.  Should have had two of these bastards, but I had missed my last 3 or 4 coyote shots, so I'll take one.  Worthy adversaries they are.  Also managed to work in a malfunction and some sweet ass coyote callin.

I follow you on Youtube now. I need to bust your balls and ask if that was Ray Charles behind the trigger. Not like I could do any better.

Glad you are enjoying the Hogster.

CHIEF

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

Once my Nox comes in, the next big get is going to be this for my drone --

zenmuse-xt.jpg

CHIEF Jr. has the DJI mini 2, but we have a buddy with the Phantom 4. He is a frack consultant for Pioneer, just the kinda guy we can talk into getting this for his drone. You could actually go to the hogs, not wait for them to come to you.

CHIEF

Yeah.  I’ve got a place down near Bigfoot that I could cover nicely with a thermal on my Mavic 2.  A lot of videos I’ve watched the drone pilot and will use the thing to actually heard the pigs to the shooters. 

Hounds to the hunters...

9EC9BF06-267B-4EFA-A605-27BCF667B099.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Got a buddy who owns Ranger Firearms here in SA.  They arrange helicopter hog erradications for ranches in SoTex.  He says it's pretty common to get two to three hundred over a weekend.

Got a friend of a friend with a big time last name that does this a few times a year on their mega average ranch. It seems to be a blast. I have not been able to weasel myself into that one, yet.   

We are “lucky” that we don’t have a bunch on our lease down in Jim Wells county. They are there and we catch a few, but you would think with the way they breed we’d be overrun. I bet we kill less than 10/yr at feeders and they are rarely on the cameras. One of our members is actually thinking about picking up a cheap East Tx lease in addition so he can get his hog killing fill met.  The math doesn’t work but these fuckers aren’t hitting the feeders. We are high fenced on 3 sides.  Don’t know where they are going. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Got a buddy who owns Ranger Firearms here in SA.  They arrange helicopter hog erradications for ranches in SoTex.  He says it's pretty common to get two to three hundred over a weekend.

My frack consultant buddy goes at least once a month on a helicopter hog hunt, they usually get about 300 or so. All the hunts are between Albany, Wichita Falls, and Throckmorton. I was going to take CHIEF Jr. on one, till I saw it is $4300 per man.

CHIEF

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Jet Copter fuel ain't cheap, is it?

That, and they also provide the ARs and ammo. He said you will go through 1000-1200 rounds. They have catch bags that catches about 90% of the brass, they have their own commercial reloading facility that reloads 30k rounds on a heavy week. It's high quality reloads non-FMJ, so you don't waste ammo on a hog that's dead, but just doesn't know it yet. It's quite the operation. A lot more goes into it than I thought.

CHIEF

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

That, and they also provide the ARs and ammo. He said you will go through 1000-1200 rounds. They have catch bags that catches about 90% of the brass, they have their own commercial reloading facility that reloads 30k rounds on a heavy week. It's high quality reloads non-FMJ, so you don't waste ammo on a hog that's dead, but just doesn't know it yet. It's quite the operation. A lot more goes into it than I thought.

CHIEF

They also can't have brass going into the tail rotor.  My cousin used to fly his helicopter on these hog hunts but then he wadded it up after he hooked onto a Nilgai.  He was OK but he's out of the helicopter game.

14 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

They also can't have brass going into the tail rotor.  My cousin used to fly his helicopter on these hog hunts but then he wadded it up after he hooked onto a Nilgai.  He was OK but he's out of the helicopter game.

Don't blame him. Fool me once.

CHIEF

3 hours ago, Lat22 said:

An I confused? What does hooking onto a Nilgai mean. It got caught up in his landing gear?? 

The guy that contracts to AEP in my brothers AO does hog hunts. He’s always chasing coyotes with the helicopter too.

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm surprised those things hold up to the 50 BMG recoil, but I guess the semi auto ones aren't too terrible.

The guy is shooting a bolt action in the video I posted.

Also,  just in case you want to see the aftermath of shooting flesh with a 50 cal at fairly close ranges.

I guess I didn't pay close enough attention. This is mine shooting one of those protein syrup tubs for cattle that's been filled up with water. I never realized just how much of a push it is until watching video of me shooting it. It's not a very sharp recoil because of the muzzle brake, but I'd imagine a big old can hanging off the end kind of negates the effect of the brake.

spacer.png

Had a little activity tonight.  The second video is less than 10 minutes after I launched 18 .308 rounds at those bastard.  I drove over to the feeder (yeah that was it going off mid firefight) to change the timer.  After I was done, I did a quick scan with my handheld and saw the hog walking not far away.  Scrambled to get my gun up and phone recording audio.  I hit him with the last round in my magazine.  Good times.

• Hook 'Em 2