The Night Vision Fanatics Thread

cabowabo

NOX guy I ordered from now telling me that I can expect March delivery instead of Feb. 

"NVision having hard time getting 35mm lenses...", yada yada.  

I am ready to send some pig souls go CROM and I'm hearing about gotdamned lense shortages?  Tom Herman running this shit or what?

• Rage+1 1

So is there a decent digital night vision scope out there in the $500-$750 range? East Texas woods, so don't need anything outside of 100 yards. 50-75 yards would be more the norm. If it can survive the recoil of a .50 BMG that would be a nice plus. 

What the hell are you doing with a .50 inside 100 yards? Lol

43 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

What the hell are you doing with a .50 inside 100 yards? Lol

Well, I may or may not have one from back in the day when I was single without kids and had money to spend on fun stuff, and I may also have some pigs. It would be nice if there were any digital night vision that works well enough in those ranges that also has programmable sights for swapping out between rifles. I mean, who hasn't wondered what a .50 would do to a pig shot head on at 50 yards? Also the ability to record video is a plus.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

I always put $500 glass on a $5000 gun. I don't see the issue.

You can get in the 50 cal game for much less than half that. Or at least you used to be able to. The whole spend what you spend on the gun on glass or whatever is way overkill for the range I'm talking about.

Oh I am sure you can.  I am certain there are some "Remington 870" models for sale for half the price. But if I was going to get a 50, I would start with Barrett and go up.  I could go pick one up right now at the local gun shop.  I just have no idea what I would do with it. 

They had a bolt action .50 at the gun shop in New Boston back when I was single. Nearly got it, but couldn’t figure out what to use it for.

18 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

They had a bolt action .50 at the gun shop in New Boston back when I was single. Nearly got it, but couldn’t figure out what to use it for.

That is where I was talking about.  They had one on the counter a few weeks ago.

Also, they have some 300AACs in stock as of yesterday. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 12:13 AM, jofus said:

Comparing it to the ATN 384 2x8 I had, the Hogster is the better scope.  It’s $600 more brand new, but it’s worth it. PQ is better, but the ATN is pretty good too. What I like most about the Hogster over the ATN is the form factor. It is so much smaller and lighter than the ATN. It would work perfectly as a handheld scanner. The ATN was just gigantic and heavy as shit. Happy to have that off my rig.

What prompted me to make the switch was that I had my ATN freeze up on my twice after pulling the trigger on a pig. No bueno.  Serious operators need to be able to rely on their equipment and I could no longer trust it.  This was not an uncommon problem on the ATN Facebook groups discussions.   I know ATN customer service gets a bad rap, but they were excellent. They sent me a FedEx label (2 day shipping) for me to send it in for warranty work. I received emails and text throughout the repair process with an ETA on its return, and then they shipped it back to me FedEx two day shipping. It might have taken 3 weeks total, which is acceptable to me.  

I sold the ATN on GB last week for $1800. Assuming it continues to work, that is a great scope for $1800. As far as ATN, I wish they would concentrate more on perfecting basic operations rather than trying to add all the gimmicky bullshit to their scopes. I really don’t think one needs a ballistic calculator on a thermal scope, or the ability to map and track your friends while hunting.  It’s stupid as fuck to hunt with rifles with people spread out over an area anyway. It seems like the people running that company are a bunch of tech geeks in The Peoples Republic of California who have never hunted in their lives.  Anyway, that my Hogster/ATN analysis. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This was not an uncommon problem on the ATN Facebook groups discussions

Yep, just about every forum I visited in doing thermal research yeilded the same commentary on ATN's.  It can have the greatest picture ever and every gimmick known to man slapped on, but if at the moment of truth the f'n thing janks up, it's time to move on.

Which you did.

Edited by Cajun

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

Got dang it took some shots sighting in the thermal.

Grabbed some hot hands to put on the target since it was 42 degrees today. They showed up well in the thermal. I kept over-compensating windage. Finally got it. Fun day nonetheless.

Adding to this, some dumbassery happened as well.  And no, alcohol was not involved.  When bore sighting the rifle with a bore laser, take out the laser before you pull the trigger.  Got dang that will take your breath away after it happens.  

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I’m going to start with the Pulsar XM 30.
Seems like a good entry level scope.

That should be fine for the swine killing on our place in Mt Vernon and the coyotes in Wichita Falls.

Dude, my cousins and I (and I know we're not unique) used to duct tape those big ass D-Cell battery silver flashlights to our Ruger .22s.  

We're all waaaaay ahead of the game.

😉

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 9:56 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

My order went from shipping in 10-19 days to back ordered. Friggin pissed since we have the hog tourney coming up in just under 2 weeks.

I was supposed to get the NOX 35mm in "late January or early Feb".

Here we are nearly half way through April and I just got this --

Image 4-8-21 at 1.52 PM.jpg

• Rage+1 1