The Night Vision Fanatics Thread

cabowabo

7 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

You’re friends with MJ Fox and you let him try out your new nv scope?

Next video I'll have it on a tripod and will get some steady shots.  It's impossible to hold the thing steady by hand while toggling the different buttons.

Sorry, no tripod, but I used the truck window to get a scan of our lake bed from the damn and caught quite a bit of activity for a short stint last night.  Image quality is degraded down to 720P (Thanks Vimeo), but you get the idea of this optic's capabilities here.  Keep in mind the humidity was about 80% while I was shooting this--- 

I decided to make the jump from 384 to 640. Just bought an iRay Rico Mk1 V2 to replace my Super Hogster. Took delivery yesterday and got a pig that night. My shooting left a lot to be desired, so that video will not be made public. Lol.  Did better tonight.  Quick review on the scope.  This thing is built like a tank. A lot longer and heavier than the SH.  I normally run black hot, but white hot looks best on this scope for some reason. The audio mic on this scope is pretty damn good. A lot better than audio from other integrated scopes I’ve heard on YouTube. Look forward to killing more shit with it soon. I’m selling my SH if anyone is interested. Great scope. 

Edited by cabowabo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 2/7/2024 at 7:50 AM, Cajun said:

Sorry, no tripod, but I used the truck window to get a scan of our lake bed from the damn and caught quite a bit of activity for a short stint last night.  Image quality is degraded down to 720P (Thanks Vimeo), but you get the idea of this optic's capabilities here.  Keep in mind the humidity was about 80% while I was shooting this--- 

Whats up with the range finder being on 268 yards for all those scans?

23 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Whats up with the range finder being on 268 yards for all those scans?

I think what you're seeing there is that there are two yardage readings.  The one in the middle of the screen is static from when I hit the "range" button and then if you look early on when the bobcat was stalking up in the right hand corner you'll see the fluid, real-time range on whatever is inside the box in the reticle.

If I'd hit the "range" button again a few times you'd see different yardage values in the middle of the screen.  It's a way to mark a spot, so to speak.  If I've got that correct, the kitty was 180ish yards out in the beginning and and the brush line behind it was 268ish.

I'm still learning here, but that's what I think.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

Not sure on the distance.  50 to 75 yards. PSA 300 BLK pistol with 8.5 in barrel. SilencerCo Hybrid 46 can. It was louder because I was standing under a covered porch. In my underwear. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been having a group of three adult and three juvenile hogs showing up at my feeder for several weeks.  My thought was initially to not blast them until the little ones are old enough to thrive (and fuck) on their own so they can create more hogs for me to shoot down the road.  You see, I am a true steward of wildlife.  I went out the other night with the intention of opening up on them, but when I saw the little hogsters gleefully running towards the feeder from a tree line about 400 yards away eagerly anticipating the 8pm feeder distribution time I got soft hearted and decided to spare them for another night.  This is the third time I have spared this group of swine.  

Anyway, since I was not going to shoot, I decided to turn on my e-caller which has a pig in distress call on it.  Upon turning this on, one of the three adults looked up and made a bee line towards the e-caller which was situated right under my 10 foot stand.  He looked around a little while and proceeded further to investigate.  The video below is from the others looking towards the investigating pig to find out what was going on.

Point 1 of my post:  I've seen people call on hogs on YouTube but have not tried myself.  This proves to me that the bastards will come to one of these callers, so I may have to try this method soon.  

Point 2 of my post:  What the hell am I doing sparing the lives of these swine because of these cute little piglets?  If this gets out, it could really damage my reputation as the Brooks County Hog Slayer, although it might help my reputation with the libtards who frequent the cloak room.  I need to return to being the hardened killer I once was.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, cabowabo said:

So I've been having a group of three adult and three juvenile hogs showing up at my feeder for several weeks.  My thought was initially to not blast them until the little ones are old enough to thrive (and fuck) on their own so they can create more hogs for me to shoot down the road.  You see, I am a true steward of wildlife.  I went out the other night with the intention of opening up on them, but when I saw the little hogsters gleefully running towards the feeder from a tree line about 400 yards away eagerly anticipating the 8pm feeder distribution time I got soft hearted and decided to spare them for another night.  This is the third time I have spared this group of swine.  

Anyway, since I was not going to shoot, I decided to turn on my e-caller which has a pig in distress call on it.  Upon turning this on, one of the three adults looked up and made a bee line towards the e-caller which was situated right under my 10 foot stand.  He looked around a little while and proceeded further to investigate.  The video below is from the others looking towards the investigating pig to find out what was going on.

Point 1 of my post:  I've seen people call on hogs on YouTube but have not tried myself.  This proves to me that the bastards will come to one of these callers, so I may have to try this method soon.  

Point 2 of my post:  What the hell am I doing sparing the lives of these swine because of these cute little piglets?  If this gets out, it could really damage my reputation as the Brooks County Hog Slayer, although it might help my reputation with the libtards who frequent the cloak room.  I need to return to being the hardened killer I once was.  

Extremely soft.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 4:45 PM, cabowabo said:

Wtf? Kill all hogs with extreme prejudice. They aren't your playthings to let breed just so you can kill some more. If you run out of pigs, good. There are plenty of other predators to go after. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Wtf? Kill all hogs with extreme prejudice. They aren't your playthings to let breed just so you can kill some more. If you run out of pigs, good. There are plenty of other predators to go after. 

I didn't spend all this money recently upgrading my thermals to shoot coons and tlacuaches.  Coyotes are worthy adversaries, but they don't show up consistently for me.  I have to manage the swine heard wisely to ensure a target rich environment for myself and future generations.

I did take down one of the adults the other night and shot and missed the second adult while running off.  I did let the piglets run off with Momma for the reasons enunciated above.  Video evidence below.  The pig I dropped in the video got up and ran off after being on the ground about 2 or 3 minutes. I was unable to place a running shot on him.  My only thought is that I hit him in the head area with a non lethal round and it knocked him silly.  There were no birds feasting in the area yesterday so it ran off somewhere.  The pig family did show up on the game camera last night and only two adults were with the three juveniles, so that hog must be dead or laid up convalescing somewhere. Side note:  Those are Nilgai in the background.  Yes, I know I could shoot them at night, but they are like my pets now, so they get a pass.