The Night Vision Fanatics Thread

cabowabo

Funny thing about this thermal unit is I was very intimidated about the idea I had of how difficult it would be to operate.  It's actually quite simple.

Now, the little DVR unit that I ordered to connect to it?

Sheeeeeeeiiiiiiiit....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:
4 hours ago, CHIEF said:
It wasn't killing them, but definitely put them out of commission. 5.56 subsonic out of a can?
CHIEF

Looked like too much drop for 556. Something heavier imo

Figured a 7.62 would have carried enough energy and mass for a kill shot. A 5.56 at 1050 ft/sec would knock them down, but both were able to hobble away.

CHIEF

Well, if it was FMJ (which it probably was) might of just been punching holes straight through.  My guess would be it was definitely something larger than 5.56mm, but that's only a guess.

But just b/c they hobbled away doesn't mean they didn't give up the ghost within a minute or two later.

• 2 weeks later...

It is and shamefully I haven’t had any time to take it out. I put a QD mount for it but haven’t even used it yet.
Did you consider the Hogster 35 as an alternative? Was there something that pushed you towards the Pulsar over other, competitive options?

We sat at a buddy of our's feeder the other night waiting on a hog that can jump over panels, about a 250 lber. The hog didn't show up, but there was 250 lbs. of coons at the feeder. I bet they eat more than the hog. They were huge, looked like baby bears.

Coonsat-Feeded.jpg

CHIEF

What goggles or binocular(s) would you recommend for someone (female friend) who lives surrounded by trees and gets scared when the dogs bark at something outside for long periods?  Something that she could just use to see if she's being watched or stalked.  

What goggles or binocular(s) would you recommend for someone (female friend) who lives surrounded by trees and gets scared when the dogs bark at something outside for long periods?  Something that she could just use to see if she's being watched or stalked.  

A man.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Trying to help @Speedtrucker

15 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

So I’m finally gonna bite the bullet and get a NV scope for varmint and hog hunting.

My BiL already has a bering optics Hogster thermal so for me that means I just need to be able to better see what I’m shooting at.

Currently I use a combo of green lights on my feeder and a green light in my firearms.

Which of the Sightmark Wraith HD and ATN Xsight would be better money spent? I’m using my fantasy football winnings on it so I’ve gotta keep it around $500, other suggestions are welcome.

Kinda like that sightmark is a Texas company.

(Cross posting this in the hunting thread for max views)

I have an ATN that my wife bought me. My review is so so. I have killed a few pigs with it and honestly prefer the feeder light and gun light. My biggest issue is keeping it sighted in and it is too bright even turned way down. It kills any night vision I would otherwise naturally have to see some movement. Maybe if I coupled it with some NV binos it would be better.

For the price, it isn't bad at all, but it has become a bit of a hassle to use it, imo. I am thinking about selling it and stepping up to a real NV setup.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 1

Well Lanbo’s armory had the Sightmark Wraith HD 2-16x28 for $399 so I opted for the Texas company over ATN, read a lot of horror stories dealing with ATN so I was tentative to go that route.

Should be here tomorrow or Friday, that’ll give me this weekend to sight it in to go hog hunting the following weekend.

5 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Well Lanbo’s armory had the Sightmark Wraith HD 2-16x28 for $399 so I opted for the Texas company over ATN, read a lot of horror stories dealing with ATN so I was tentative to go that route.

Should be here tomorrow or Friday, that’ll give me this weekend to sight it in to go hog hunting the following weekend.

I had an ATN X sight before I went thermal and it served me well.  I would definitely go with a Wraith now over ATN.  Also, you might as well start shopping for thermal because its inevitable if you are a true nighttime operator.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Yeah my BiL has a Bering optics Hogster. It’s part of the reason I needed some NV. It was awkward sitting in the dark as he followed them in and had to let them get near my feeder so the lights would trigger.

It’ll be in the cards eventually

Two is one, one is none.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...