Millennials & Gen Xers better than Boomers...

Armybrat

1 hour ago, F250 said:

I never got the significance of avocado toast. It wasn't even a new concept, it was something you made when there were no tortillas available.

My wife ate avocado toast for breakfast growing up in California 30 years ago. She told me that before it ever became a “thing” (and I thought it was weird at the time).

The broad statements on what the various generations think and how they act doesn’t work with the people born on the fringes. I was born in 62 and I have little in common with other boomers born from 46 to the early to mid 50’s. The hippies of the 60’s were boomers and I thought they were worthless.

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Back in the 80s and early 90s the only “craft beer” in Austin was of course Shiner Bock. A six pack cost 3 bucks which was cheaper than a six pack of coors, Miller, etc. It also tasted great. That’s why everyone here drank it unless you were so poor or cheap you couldn’t even afford that and went with a collectively bought keg of natty light, the beast, or keystone instead. 

Sometime in the 90s they raised the price and changed the formula so not only was it twice the price but didn’t taste as good. Now of course you can buy so many different brands that I haven’t bought a shiner in years and even then, it’s only for nostalgia. 

I would say celis was more “craft-like” than shiner

16 minutes ago, HouTex said:

The broad statements on what the various generations think and how they act doesn’t work with the people born on the fringes. I was born in 62 and I have little in common with other boomers born from 46 to the early to mid 50’s. The hippies of the 60’s were boomers and I thought they were worthless.

This is true. If you were born in the early 60s you have much more in common with Gen X than you do with boomers born in ‘45-49. It’s why we can at least try to claim Obama, because that’s about as close to the White House as our generation is gonna get. Next presidential election in 2024 there will probably be 15 mayor Pete’s running and the millennials will officially take over. 

5 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Categorizing groups into arbitrary generational divides for the purposes of generalizing and assigning stereotypes is silly pseudoscientific bullshit.  We recognize that it's useless and even unethical to do so with ethnicity, nationality, horoscope sign, and other criteria outside of one's control.  But year of birth within a 10 year radius?  We can plumb the depths of one's psyche and know their thoughts and motives with that information.  

Individually? Of course not. But collectively? Sure you can. 

Do you think the average experience of a 7 year old today in 2019 is the same or even similar as say a seven year old in 1980? It’s totally different and it ultimately effects your opinions, attitudes, and worldview, at least to some extent. 

Does anyone remember the Bennigan's Beer program where you had to buy a hundred beers from around the world in the mid 90's?

Looking back, I remember a lot of people were seeking beer outside of the big macrobreweries in the 90's. Imported beer was the goto back then but was eventually replaced by local microbreweries as the "premium" beer in the 2000's.

1 hour ago, Axiom of Choice said:

You can do whatever you like.  You can also read their horoscope and their palms while you're at it.  Doing something doesn't make it useful or ethical.  Do you think the average experience of a person from one ethnicity is the same as a person from another ethnicity?  Does this mean we should use this information to generalize the groups?  

Well Chinese people in my observation tend to eat more Chinese food than people from Sweden. So is that observation “unethical?”

However I once knew a dude named “Billy” who would have totally looked Chinese, except he always wore boots, wrangler jeans, a cowboy hat and spoke like the biggest redneck you ever met. So I guess that proves your point. 

Thank you for allowing me to do whatever I like, including reading palms.

Does anyone remember the Bennigan's Beer program where you had to buy a hundred beers from around the world in the mid 90's?
Looking back, I remember a lot of people were seeking beer outside of the big macrobreweries in the 90's. Imported beer was the goto back then but was eventually replaced by local microbreweries as the "premium" beer in the 2000's.

I turned 21 in ‘93 and was definitely into imports immediately. All because of Double Dave’s beer selection. Shiner and Celis were beers I drank early on. Shiner Premium was probably around age 17. Waterloo Brewing, then Bitter End and Lovejoys were early bastions of austin craft beer. Shit, I guess I’ve been a beer snob since I became a legal drinker.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Categorizing groups into arbitrary generational divides for the purposes of generalizing and assigning stereotypes is silly pseudoscientific bullshit.  We recognize that it's useless and even unethical to do so with ethnicity, nationality, horoscope sign, and other criteria outside of one's control.  But year of birth within a 10 year radius?  We can plumb the depths of one's psyche and know their thoughts and motives with that information.  

Millennial or boomer?

2 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

OK, Boomer

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

Yeah, "Generations" classifications are lazy shit... when all the "Millennials  want X Y Z out of life" articles first came out, my reaction was "That's what I wanted in 1979."

Guess I'm like an old Millennial who knows shit without checking his phone.

(Though I really would have liked bumming around 1920s Paris. Or 1950s Mexico City.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I turned 21 in ‘93 and was definitely into imports immediately. All because of Double Dave’s beer selection. Shiner and Celis were beers I drank early on. Shiner Premium was probably around age 17. Waterloo Brewing, then Bitter End and Lovejoys were early bastions of austin craft beer. Shit, I guess I’ve been a beer snob since I became a legal drinker.

I turned 14 in '84 and was definitely into Mickey's Big Mouth...  then in college it was Natural Lite by the keg... so same! 

• Like 1

I really lack a generation-born in early ‘96... I’m too young to remember the world without computers, but old enough to remember the world with dial-up internet being the standard. I’m old enough to remember 9/11 vividly (I was in kindergarten and there were kids in my school system that had loved ones killed), but wasn’t politically aware enough to pay attention to the Saddam/WMDs hoopla.

My parents are much the same way... Born in 1963, they technically fit into the boomer generation (usually defined as ‘46-‘64)... However, each had vastly different childhood experiences. My mom is the daughter of a WW2 Officer (graduated West Point in January ‘43 and deployed to Italy in ‘44 and ‘45), with three older brothers, the oldest of which was born in 1947. One of her brothers was a draft dodger during Vietnam, etc... So in many ways, she had a very traditional Boomer experience.

On the other hand, my dad is the oldest of five, with four sisters who are definitively Gen X. His parents are part of the “lost generation,” born in the late 1930’s-they were elementary school kids during WWII... 

3 hours ago, RiceOwl said:

I really lack a generation-born in early ‘96... I’m too young to remember the world without computers, but old enough to remember the world with dial-up internet being the standard. I’m old enough to remember 9/11 vividly (I was in kindergarten and there were kids in my school system that had loved ones killed), but wasn’t politically aware enough to pay attention to the Saddam/WMDs hoopla.

My parents are much the same way... Born in 1963, they technically fit into the boomer generation (usually defined as ‘46-‘64)... However, each had vastly different childhood experiences. My mom is the daughter of a WW2 Officer (graduated West Point in January ‘43 and deployed to Italy in ‘44 and ‘45), with three older brothers, the oldest of which was born in 1947. One of her brothers was a draft dodger during Vietnam, etc... So in many ways, she had a very traditional Boomer experience.

On the other hand, my dad is the oldest of five, with four sisters who are definitively Gen X. His parents are part of the “lost generation,” born in the late 1930’s-they were elementary school kids during WWII... 

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

You sound like the girlfriend, she was born in June 96. She doesn't remember anything about the twin towers, but does remember how internet was always in her life.

Her parents were both 17 when they had her, so they're both gen Xs.

get off my internet's lawn.

• Like 1

Yeah,  I remember being in my 20s (mid 1990s) and going to the Austin Homebrew Supply to buy ingredients and there were all these styles and types of beer that I had only seen in Europe, and then "riffs" or "variations" on them.  "Do you want to make a Raspberry Porter?"  "What the fuck is that?  What does it taste like?"
I probably made 10-12 different types of beer just to try them and see what they tasted like.  Took 3-6 weeks and a lot of work. Then Central Market came along, and the bigger stores started taking their beer seriously, and there was all this shit from all over the world I could just buy.  I was all "How can it get better?"  But a lot of that was just the slightly better equivalent of big corporate beer, or it was so old and stale by the time it got here, or it was just stupid expensive.
Then the whole "craft brewer" thing popped up.  It's just hard to wrap my head around.  First it was a bunch of macro-size craft brew companies from around the country selling the kind of stuff I used to make just to try.  Lots of weird, interesting shit.  Lots of really good, different beers.  Again, "How can it get better?"  I can drink this from Portland, this from Kansas City, and this from Colorado.  All of them different and all of them interesting.  Most of them good.
Now I can go to Dallas and see a whole wall of beers, in all kinds of styles, from companies who brew within 15 miles of the store.  Go to Houston and it's the same thing, only the companies and styles are all different.  Austin, same thing.  Denver, same thing.  You could destroy your liver trying everything made within 200 miles from your house.  How can it get better?
It's a bit of hubris, but I wish I hadn't stopped brewing when I did.  I know three guys who opened breweries in the last decade and a half, all of which were just scaled-up homebrewing operations.  All of them are doing well without day jobs.  

I learned there were other kinds of beer besides Shiner (thanks freshman year!), Keystone and Bud Light when Central Market opened.

My time at UT was worth it for this alone.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I learned there were other kinds of beer besides Shiner (thanks freshman year!), Keystone and Bud Light when Central Market opened.

My time at UT was worth it for this alone.

Yup.  Maybe the best thing I learned in college.  Start of semester, discovering strange shit like pumpkin beer (no, not pumpkin spice).  And introduced to other stuff like hefeweizen, stouts, etc.  Thanks, >21y/o dormies.

10 hours ago, RiceOwl said:

You're like my younger cousins.  I guess that's the age range I tend to think of for peak Millenials.  IE, the first group of people to enter college already well versed in social media.

17 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The greatest generation ruined domestic beer. They implemented shortcuts in the 60s, making some pretty damn good beers (Schlitz, for example) into what we have today.

At least that’s what I was told by my dad and his friends. 

Allegedly the reason Grain Belt is so much better now than it was when my old man was younger (late 70's) is because when Schell's bought the brand, they went back to an original recipe, that preceded the shortcuts (usually rice as a grain) that came along in the 60's.

I used to walk to that beer place on the corner of 28th and Rio Grande (lived right over there) and pick up Franziskaner and other random beer back in '92 and '93.  I tended to either drink that kind of beer or Keystone Light/Coors Light at fraternity parties.  Gen-X was ahead of the curve (on everything).

Yeah, I'm down with avocado toast.  Tastes great, nutritious and you can make it a ton of different ways.  

39 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I used to walk to that beer place on the corner of 28th and Rio Grande (lived right over there) and pick up Franziskaner and other random beer back in '92 and '93.  I tended to either drink that kind of beer or Keystone Light/Coors Light at fraternity parties.  Gen-X was ahead of the curve (on everything).

Yeah, I'm down with avocado toast.  Tastes great, nutritious and you can make it a ton of different ways.  

35th and Ave. G, holla.  Shipe park pool in the summer with the gf.  Head over to that shop you mention (my roommate worked there, so discounted always), then maybe Texas French Bread in the morning.  Maybe a haircut at the shop with the guy who stocked Playboys on the magazine rack.  

Life was pretty much perfect.  

1 hour ago, Axiom of Choice said:

I was born on a generational cusp, so it takes a bit more work to calculate my personality traits.  It's still doable, though.  Just like when one is born on a zodiac cusp and they take on astrological traits of both.  Another contributing factor to who I am is the number type of the year I was born, which happens to be semi prime.  This makes it difficult for me to make decisions.  My brother, on the other hand, was born in a prime number year and so obviously he is a real black and white type of guy.   

lol.  Given your username, and prior posts, you at least seem like a sharp guy - so I assume this is all shtick.  If not, you definitely share the common millennial and boomer trait of being too egocentric to see the forest for the trees.  Of course an individual, especially one as unique as yourself, cannot be pigeonholed based on year of birth.   When discussing general behavior patterns of large groups, however, year of birth is an excellent indicator.  Equating that to astrology or palm reading is intellectually dishonest at best.  I'm sorry you don't like whatever it is people say about folks your age.  I've never met anybody who says, "Yep, those stereotypes about my generation are spot on and describe me perfectly!"   

You're like my younger cousins.  I guess that's the age range I tend to think of for peak Millenials.  IE, the first group of people to enter college already well versed in social media.

That's the very end of the millennial generation. The line between gen Z and millenials is generally drawn somewhere between 1996-2000. Peak millennial is the current late 20s/early 30s crowd.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That's the very end of the millennial generation. The line between gen Z and millenials is generally drawn somewhere between 1996-2000. Peak millennial is the current late 20s/early 30s crowd.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

All the olds think everything is because of Millennials. That "ok boomer" shit is from Gen Z, not Millennials.

• Like 3

Yeah but only the Gen X guys are triggered by it.  
It’s a little overplayed but the people all up in arms about it are exactly the reason for that.  I think of it like the horns down, if people didn’t get their panties all in a wad about it it would’ve died out long ago.