Jump to content
Armybrat

Millennials & Gen Xers better than Boomers...

Recommended Posts

The reason they refuse to retire is because they can’t. Their narcissism caused many of them to burn through retirement savings, expecting others to shoulder the burden.

Don’t forget multiple divorces. They were really good at that. That’ll cost ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Counterpoint:  Gen X is so apathetic that it has done jack shit to clean up the messes created by the boomers (who we can all agree are the worst).  We will have a millennial president before we have a Gen X one.  

And? What’s your point? Ain’t nobody arguing with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

those motherfuckers refuse to die and go the hell away.

Fify but otherwise spot on post. These people are a pain in the ass even when they retire. A truly narcissistic generation with a few good ones sprinkled in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Armybrat said:

... brewing craft beer. 

Back in the day a half century ago there were very few craft beers around, with Shiner Bock being about the only option I was aware of in central Texas. Schlitz, Bud, Pearl, Pabst, & Lone Star were the go to brands.

Mexican beer such as Corona, Tecate, DosX and the like were considered swill and hard to find in the state. Bohemia was good, but not available north of the Nueces.

So hats off to all the young skilled entrepreneurs who are brewing some damn good product in wide varieties.

 

I'm glad you like what we're making these days. It's a shame it took this long to get beer innovation in this country to the point it's at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was born smack dab in the middle of Gen X and don't really give a fuck what the uninitiated have posted before this.

I put myself through school and took care of things on my own, and created the technology others claim to be "edgy" about. Whatever- I've got shit to do that doesn't involve you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Counterpoint:  Gen X is so apathetic that it has done jack shit to clean up the messes created by the boomers (who we can all agree are the worst).  We will have a millennial president before we have a Gen X one.  

Obama is technically a boomer but Gen X in spirit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

GenX will always be the apex of board white suburban garage hobbies turned businesses

And half of us went to law school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

I was born smack dab in the middle of Gen X and don't really give a fuck what the uninitiated have posted before this.

I put myself through school and took care of things on my own, and created the technology others claim to be "edgy" about. Whatever- I've got shit to do that doesn't involve you.

Have a nice craft beer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

Gen X is the absolute best generation. Everyone else is a bunch of slap dick ass clowns.

Last generation to grow up without the internet. We also know how to fuck chicks with or without internet assistance. We can fix your computer but also know when to ignore them. We also didn’t use our student loan money to travel the world and then bitch how we shouldn’t have to pay it back.

Gen X is the most well rounded when it comes to employment, pussy, beer, and drugs. We respect others, aren’t snowflakes, work hard, and created great music.

Fight me.

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I give hipster Millenials credit for the Coffee and Beer renaissance in the US.  Sure some times they went off the rails but that enthusiasm also led to Bourbon Barrel aged Coconut/Coffee Porter and for that they get a pass on a lot of other stupidity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I think it's clear that the Greatest Generation spawned the Worst Generation.  Reboot time. 

Because the GG endured the Depression, then the war, then unprecedented prosperity, many of them made the common mistake of overindulging their children.  And I think it could be said that society and the social environment produced by those events overindulged them, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

17 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

Gen X is the absolute best generation. Everyone else is a bunch of slap dick ass clowns.

Last generation to grow up without the internet. We also know how to fuck chicks with or without internet assistance. We can fix your computer but also know when to ignore them. We also didn’t use our student loan money to travel the world and then bitch how we shouldn’t have to pay it back.

Gen X is the most well rounded when it comes to employment, pussy, beer, and drugs. We respect others, aren’t snowflakes, work hard, and created great music.

Fight me.

 

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

 

(except for the student loan part-- I did spend large chunks of it traveling the world and banging chicks. I paid it all back myself though).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a millennial and I have kids. What interests me more than rehashing the same generational cool contests that have been going on for literally a decade now, is to look at how the younger generations are changing or trending. Just my perspective, but I see the millennial's as being more dynamic than GenX who have largely became who they are and stayed that way (for good, bad or indifferent). Millennial's, maybe by necessity (recession, etc.), seem to have adapted and are more flexible and prone to evolving (or devolving, as it were) over time.

This interests me in a political way too because I can see millennial's taking on the persona of Boomers the older they get, the more status and wealth they achieve, and youthful idealism gets passed down further the supply chain to their children's generation.

I guess my thesis is that Millennial's are baby Baby Boomers and just don't know it yet. 

Edited by Rougarou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

his interests me in a political way too because I can see millennial's taking on the persona of Boomers the older they get, the more status and wealth they achieve, and youthful idealism gets passed down further the supply chain to their children's generation.

This has been going on forever.

Socialist at 20, no heart.  Conservative at 40, no brain.  blah, blah, blah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drank several cubic tons of natural light when I was a homeless couch surfing loser. Now I drink lone star and whiskey every day in an effort to kill myself with booze.

What was the question?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Beer talk not showing up.

Yeah,  I remember being in my 20s (mid 1990s) and going to the Austin Homebrew Supply to buy ingredients and there were all these styles and types of beer that I had only seen in Europe, and then "riffs" or "variations" on them.  "Do you want to make a Raspberry Porter?"  "What the fuck is that?  What does it taste like?"

I probably made 10-12 different types of beer just to try them and see what they tasted like.  Took 3-6 weeks and a lot of work. Then Central Market came along, and the bigger stores started taking their beer seriously, and there was all this shit from all over the world I could just buy.  I was all "How can it get better?"  But a lot of that was just the slightly better equivalent of big corporate beer, or it was so old and stale by the time it got here, or it was just stupid expensive.

Then the whole "craft brewer" thing popped up.  It's just hard to wrap my head around.  First it was a bunch of macro-size craft brew companies from around the country selling the kind of stuff I used to make just to try.  Lots of weird, interesting shit.  Lots of really good, different beers.  Again, "How can it get better?"  I can drink this from Portland, this from Kansas City, and this from Colorado.  All of them different and all of them interesting.  Most of them good.

Now I can go to Dallas and see a whole wall of beers, in all kinds of styles, from companies who brew within 15 miles of the store.  Go to Houston and it's the same thing, only the companies and styles are all different.  Austin, same thing.  Denver, same thing.  You could destroy your liver trying everything made within 200 miles from your house.  How can it get better?

It's a bit of hubris, but I wish I hadn't stopped brewing when I did.  I know three guys who opened breweries in the last decade and a half, all of which were just scaled-up homebrewing operations.  All of them are doing well without day jobs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That has more to do that Boomers were always a bigger voting block and millennial's will be a bigger voting block then Gen X by the time boomers die off. 
There is a point that Gen X can be the swing vote between those two groups though. 


Just because they were a smaller voting block doesn’t excuse the lack of give-a-shit. I suppose I’m technically a millennial (1984), but I don’t fit the mold of the group at all. It’s fallen on “our” generation to deal with Boomers, attempt to educate them, and if all else fails, shame them. We sure could’ve used some help from the true Gen Xers so that the boomers wouldn’t be so far down the path that very few can take any sort of criticism. They’ve been surrounded by yes men (Gen X) their whole lives, and now they’re too set in their ways to accept anything less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

 


Just because they were a smaller voting block doesn’t excuse the lack of give-a-shit. I suppose I’m technically a millennial (1984), but I don’t fit the mold of the group at all. It’s fallen on “our” generation to deal with Boomers, attempt to educate them, and if all else fails, shame them. We sure could’ve used some help from the true Gen Xers so that the boomers wouldn’t be so far down the path that very few can take any sort of criticism. They’ve been surrounded by yes men (Gen X) their whole lives, and now they’re too set in their ways to accept anything less.

 

You think it’s somehow your job to educate and/or shame others. Sounds like you fit in with millennials just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 'stache said:

 

The immediate follow-up is truly fascinating, lol. Just mind-blowing actually.

Back on track. Boomers' taste in beer truly sucked. I can't believe it took this long for people to want decent tasting beer.

I was going to point out to you that back in the day, nothing beat an ice-cold Miller High Life, but upon further reading it was invented in 1903.  So raise one to the Lost Generation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone in the office recently referred to a happy hour at a "micro-brewery" and I said that the term was for old people, because I've only really ever heard my dad use that word. The preferred nomenclature seems to be "craft" brewery or I've also heard "local" or "Independent" beer. Am I wrong that the "micro" term is for the olds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gen Z is really different. I'm a middle/late cycle millennial depending on how you define it ('92); used to be a HS teacher and there was a cavernous generational divide with students no more than ten years younger than me. They really have grown up in a completely different world - even millenials remember the time before widespread internet, cell phones, social media, xbox, etc. Not so at all for Gen Z and that really is huge.

That's not a value judgement - they haven't come of age and made their mark yet but the difference is really stark. Way more so than the difference between me and late Gen X'ers ten years older than me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Counterpoint:  Gen X is so apathetic that it has done jack shit to clean up the messes created by the boomers (who we can all agree are the worst).  We will have a millennial president before we have a Gen X one.  

The responses already show it, but it amuses me that you don't grasp how much we Gen X care fuck all. Further, we know it means Jack shit any fucking way.

Congrats I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm a millennial and I have kids. What interests me more than rehashing the same generational cool contests that have been going on for literally a decade now, is to look at how the younger generations are changing or trending. Just my perspective, but I see the millennial's as being more dynamic than GenX who have largely became who they are and stayed that way (for good, bad or indifferent). Millennial's, maybe by necessity (recession, etc.), seem to have adapted and are more flexible and prone to evolving (or devolving, as it were) over time.

This interests me in a political way too because I can see millennial's taking on the persona of Boomers the older they get, the more status and wealth they achieve, and youthful idealism gets passed down further the supply chain to their children's generation.

I guess my thesis is that Millennial's are baby Baby Boomers and just don't know it yet. 

 

It could be. There was a lot of progressive activism in the boomer generation. Then they voted for Reagan, the Bushes, Clinton, and most recently Trump (no CR - just noting the contrast). They certainly grew into a "I got mine, fuck you" mindset.

 

I could see the same thing coming of millenials. Obviously becoming a pretty politically active generation. Right now it's mostly progressive activism but there's also a very individualistic/self-centered, even self-righteous streak present. It wouldn't shock me to see millenials morph to more closely resemble the boomers in that regard as they get their hands on a bit of money and power.

 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The responses already show it, but it amuses me that you don't grasp how much we Gen X care fuck all. Further, we know it means Jack shit any fucking way.
Congrats I guess?

Gen X gives so few fucks that they take every single opportunity to tell everyone how cool they are and how few fucks they give lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

 


Just because they were a smaller voting block doesn’t excuse the lack of give-a-shit. I suppose I’m technically a millennial (1984), but I don’t fit the mold of the group at all. It’s fallen on “our” generation to deal with Boomers, attempt to educate them, and if all else fails, shame them. We sure could’ve used some help from the true Gen Xers so that the boomers wouldn’t be so far down the path that very few can take any sort of criticism. They’ve been surrounded by yes men (Gen X) their whole lives, and now they’re too set in their ways to accept anything less.

 

So your reasonable take here, is it's the Gen Xer's fault for not educating, shaming, and pistol whipping their parents into more acceptable behavior? It's the fault of the children for not fixing their parents when they were younger and still probably becoming adults themselves? And then blaming the Gen Xers for not succeeding sooner where millenials are failing now? Fuck off with that bullshit. This take seems about as reasonable and as likely as, well, my own fucking ability to get my mom to learn how to use a fucking VCR when I was 6. Boomers are accountable for their own fucking actions, as is everyone. Millenials are as big a voting population as Boomers are at this point, so guess what, you don't need to fucking change them, or reason with them, just go fucking outvote their asses. 

Houston proper, a city of 2.13 million, just elected a mayor on 225k voters turning out to vote. You know who most of those people were? Fucking old. 10% voter turnout. Now, I know Millenials can't fix Boomers stuck in management positions, corporate power positions, or anything else, but I don't think it's fair at all chastising Gex Xers for being indifferent to things when at this point, Millenials (at least at the voting booth) have the ability to effect change without anyone else and aren't doing shit either. 

I'm not indifferent. I vote in every election. I give back to my community. I try to be a good person. But you know what I don't do? Waste my time trying to reason with my unreasonable fucking mother that slapping the shit out of my 2 year old in a public place is going to have the opposite reaction of making him stop crying. When my efforts at reason and explanation fail, I pick my kid up and we leave. And I don't feel bad about that. All I can do is try to be better in my life than the mistakes of the ones before me. If I'm not my brother's keeper, I'm sure as shit not responsible for fixing dumb ass boomers that don't want to fucking get fixed. And it's unreasonable to expect otherwise. And btw:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/07/31/gen-zers-millennials-and-gen-xers-outvoted-boomers-and-older-generations-in-2016-election/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Loco said:

I give hipster Millenials credit for the Coffee and Beer renaissance in the US.  Sure some times they went off the rails but that enthusiasm also led to Bourbon Barrel aged Coconut/Coffee Porter and for that they get a pass on a lot of other stupidity.

Beer yes, but Coffee took off in the 80's and 90's.  However the Beer is definitely in Mellenial's favor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You sound like a very bitter person

Me? Not all my man. Didn’t someone tell you Gen X doesnt give enough fucks to actually ever get bitter? 
 

But I do get irritated by finger pointing and lack of accountability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, gmr548 said:


Gen X gives so few fucks that they take every single opportunity to tell everyone how cool they are and how few fucks they give lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 

Sure, sounds good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Beer yes, but Coffee took off in the 80's and 90's.  However the Beer is definitely in Mellenial's favor.

This. Xers played a big part in the craft beer world because we had the money to buy it and were the ones buying up all the weird euro/international brews, and IPA, but Millennials largely own the craft explosion aspect.

Coffee snobbery was born by X. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Fuck all y'all.  I don't belong to any generation

In other words...

27365daf9bcf4cb95b6ac752c544cc78ed6dc0b8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Yeah,  I remember being in my 20s (mid 1990s) and going to the Austin Homebrew Supply to buy ingredients and there were all these styles and types of beer that I had only seen in Europe, and then "riffs" or "variations" on them.  "Do you want to make a Raspberry Porter?"  "What the fuck is that?  What does it taste like?"

I probably made 10-12 different types of beer just to try them and see what they tasted like.  Took 3-6 weeks and a lot of work. Then Central Market came along, and the bigger stores started taking their beer seriously, and there was all this shit from all over the world I could just buy.  I was all "How can it get better?"  But a lot of that was just the slightly better equivalent of big corporate beer, or it was so old and stale by the time it got here, or it was just stupid expensive.

Then the whole "craft brewer" thing popped up.  It's just hard to wrap my head around.  First it was a bunch of macro-size craft brew companies from around the country selling the kind of stuff I used to make just to try.  Lots of weird, interesting shit.  Lots of really good, different beers.  Again, "How can it get better?"  I can drink this from Portland, this from Kansas City, and this from Colorado.  All of them different and all of them interesting.  Most of them good.

Now I can go to Dallas and see a whole wall of beers, in all kinds of styles, from companies who brew within 15 miles of the store.  Go to Houston and it's the same thing, only the companies and styles are all different.  Austin, same thing.  Denver, same thing.  You could destroy your liver trying everything made within 200 miles from your house.  How can it get better?

It's a bit of hubris, but I wish I hadn't stopped brewing when I did.  I know three guys who opened breweries in the last decade and a half, all of which were just scaled-up homebrewing operations.  All of them are doing well without day jobs.  

Same, did the homebrewing thing in the 90's and a lot of it was attempts at replicating European beer, especially Belgian stuff. I screwed up more than a few times, exploding beer bottles was a costly problem. I ended growing pot because it was a lot easier and cheaper.

I've looked into doing homebrew again and it's amazing how much equipment is available these days. So much more to work with versus the cheap kits that were available back in the 90's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gmr548 said:


Gen X gives so few fucks that they take every single opportunity to tell everyone how cool they are and how few fucks they give lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 

“Unless you got dem corporate bucks, Stevie P ain’t give no fucks.”

That quote has nothing to do with your post, just using it to post one of my favorite quotes from the scat site about our former shithead AD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I'm a millennial and I have kids. What interests me more than rehashing the same generational cool contests that have been going on for literally a decade now, is to look at how the younger generations are changing or trending. Just my perspective, but I see the millennial's as being more dynamic than GenX who have largely became who they are and stayed that way (for good, bad or indifferent). Millennial's, maybe by necessity (recession, etc.), seem to have adapted and are more flexible and prone to evolving (or devolving, as it were) over time.

This interests me in a political way too because I can see millennial's taking on the persona of Boomers the older they get, the more status and wealth they achieve, and youthful idealism gets passed down further the supply chain to their children's generation.

I guess my thesis is that Millennial's are baby Baby Boomers and just don't know it yet. 

I think you're spot on.  Millennials and Boomers are way more alike than they are different.  Watching them argue with each other would be funny for GenXers if we didn't know we were watching the authors of our doom try to outblame one another.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Beer talk not showing up.

Back in the 80s and early 90s the only “craft beer” in Austin was of course Shiner Bock. A six pack cost 3 bucks which was cheaper than a six pack of coors, Miller, etc. It also tasted great. That’s why everyone here drank it unless you were so poor or cheap you couldn’t even afford that and went with a collectively bought keg of natty light, the beast, or keystone instead. 

Sometime in the 90s they raised the price and changed the formula so not only was it twice the price but didn’t taste as good. Now of course you can buy so many different brands that I haven’t bought a shiner in years and even then, it’s only for nostalgia. 

Edited by JimmyJames
Forgot the beast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never eaten avocado toast but of all the things millennials do and like, that seems like the oddest one to get bothered over literally or symbolically 

it's just avocado on toast, man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gmr548 said:


Gen X gives so few fucks that they take every single opportunity to tell everyone how cool they are and how few fucks they give lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 

Sounds like you learned how to fuck from the internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Iceman said:

Don't giva  fuck if we're ever President.

Y'all can fucking have titles all you want.

We'll settle for substance.

Or controlled substances

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I've never eaten avocado toast but of all the things millennials do and like, that seems like the oddest one to get bothered over literally or symbolically 

it's just avocado on toast, man

I never got the significance of avocado toast. It wasn't even a new concept, it was something you made when there were no tortillas available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 12:51 PM, texasdago said:

GenX For Life

Image result for right turn clyde

 

My man. Right turn Clyde.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gmr548 said:


Gen X gives so few fucks that they take every single opportunity to tell everyone how cool they are and how few fucks they give lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...