Vegan files lawsuit against Burger King

F250

I am pretty sure no one is shocked to hear about the pissed off vegans suing BK.

A Georgia man who is vegan has sued Burger King for false advertising, alleging the burger chain “duped” customers into eating Impossible Whoppers by not adequately disclosing that the plant-based patties are cooked with beef fat. The lawsuit is seeking class-action status.

According to the complaint filed in a federal court in Florida on Monday, Phillip Williams of Georgia said he visited an Atlanta Burger King in August and ordered an Impossible Whopper, which, when prepared without mayonnaise, he believed conformed to his “strict vegan diet.” Williams was unaware that Impossible Whoppers are by default “cooked on the same grills as its traditional meat-based products, creating a meat-free patty that is in fact covered in meat by-product,” the lawsuit alleges.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2019/11/19/vegan-sues-burger-king-claiming-meatless-impossible-whopper-is-contaminated-by-beef-fat/

"For people who are strictly vegan, there is a microwave prep procedure that they're welcome to ask for in any store," Dana Worth, Impossible Foods' head of sales, said in a recent interview."

This guy wants money to protect him from his own stupidity.  Attorneys should have their license suspended when these suits are brought and dismissed.  A quick 6 months so maybe they at least consider it may be bullshit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Kind of related story:

A couple of years ago while living overseas the expat community had a get together that included a chili cookoff.  The meat you could get there wasn't terrible, but it was lean AF so I made my chili with half beef and half pork to get the fat content right.

Judging for the contest consisted of everyone in attendance voting for their favorite.  Problem is, we had a sizable Muslim contingent so I was going to be starting in a pretty deep hole since those potential voters wouldn't test my chili much less vote for it.  So in the end I just told everyone it was beef chili.  Everyone tried it, no one dropped dead or got smited by Allah and I got 2nd place.

Maybe I'm going to burn in hell for that, but I don't care.

Screwed a lot of folks out of their 72 virgins.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’ve posted about this in another thread, but I know a dude that’s been hardcore vegan for 4 or 5 years now. He’s still chubby and out of shape as fuck. I don’t understand.

I have a friend like this. Then I learned Oreos are vegan. Then it made sense. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Kind of related story:

A couple of years ago while living overseas the expat community had a get together that included a chili cookoff.  The meat you could get there wasn't terrible, but it was lean AF so I made my chili with half beef and half pork to get the fat content right.

Judging for the contest consisted of everyone in attendance voting for their favorite.  Problem is, we had a sizable Muslim contingent so I was going to be starting in a pretty deep hole since those potential voters wouldn't test my chili much less vote for it.  So in the end I just told everyone it was beef chili.  Everyone tried it, no one dropped dead or got smited by Allah and I got 2nd place.

Maybe I'm going to burn in hell for that, but I don't care.

2945347.gif

22 hours ago, 'stache said:

It wasn't marketed as vegan or vegetarian, and the first question someone would ask is how it's cooked, because my obvious thought was it would come into contact with the other patties. Sounds like this is a consumer disclosure claim and will be hard to sustain.

This is where I'm at.  Unless it was cooked in a completely different manner, it touched something that touched meat.  Therefore there's almost certain "meat transference," (a term that I think I made up but that probably exists) even if on a microscopic level.  This isn't a peanut allergy thing where there could be dire consequences.  No harm on any level was done except to this person's ego and his now fictitious claims to be totally vegan.  

Honestly I could give a shit about vegans, but it would have made sense if Burger King prominently displayed that fact on their menu board or even made sure to mention to customers that ordered that item besides just having that info on their website. Who the fuck goes to Burger King's website? 

Vegans and vegetarians ought to be used to questioning food preparation and ingredients when they aren’t preparing their own meals. Especially so at a fast food burger chain that has just rolled out its first and only meatless patty. 

just like muslims with halal and Jews with kosher. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

I expected a lawsuit like this the very first time I saw a BK commercial on TV advertising the impossible burger.  The commercial didn't claim the burger was vegan, they just strongly hinted at it.  You'd think BK might have paid attention when McDonalds was sued (and eventually settled) for using beef fat in cooking their fries ( https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mcdonalds-settles-beef-over-fries/ ).

"The apology and disclosure was most important for the clients and the class," Bharti said. "My hope is when all other fast food chains see what McDonald's has done, they will have to follow suit. I want to start a chain reaction of disclosure."

lulz

Edited by bernorange

10 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

^^ This. Anybody ever gone out to eat with a vegan? They ask a half dozen questions about every ingredient in their order. This dude went there for the sole purpose of eventually filing suit

I had to stop that shit the third time I was offered beet ketchup and kombucha at the place my buddy picked. We settled on "Hunter/Gatherer" places from then on which is like gay guys designing bikinis on taste.

The news article is discussing a civil suit and he brings up violations of laws and rights being suppressed for one thing.

Also, they complaint does allege that a law was violated--Florida's DTPA.  

It just shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the way the law works.

Edited by Longhornfan1024

Why are vegans eating something that looks and tastes like meat? If you look on youtube, there are all kinds of vegan arguments about how humans aren't meant to consume animals yet they make their shitty vegetables up to emulate meat. Just makes no sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Fine. What damages/injuries were incurred, you pedantic shit. This isn’t a courtroom. 

Why are you getting mad at me when you're the one who called someone an idiot despite the fact that you didn't know what you were talking about?

But to respond to the substance of your post: read the complaint if you want to know about damages and relief.  It's a class action for a reason.  Do you understand the reason for permitting class action lawsuits?  

Oh, and surly may not be a courtroom, but we are discussing a lawsuit that may ultimately be decided . . . dun . . . dun . . . dun . . . in a courtroom.