PSA - Austin Traffic Likely To Suck Wednesday PM

Wally Pryor

Just a heads up on tomorrow's roads.  O/U is 5.5 posts before this thread goes to CR hell.   Taking the under.   

I'll hit Submit and step aside. 

When President Donald Trump visits Austin on Wednesday afternoon, it won’t be a secret why he’s coming or where he’s headed — we just don’t know how he’s getting there.

But that’s how the U.S. Secret Service likes it, even if it will drive Austin motorists crazy not knowing how the president’s motorcade might affect their rush-hour commute.

Here’s what we do know: Runway operations at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport will shut down just before Air Force One arrives, including takeoffs, landings, the taxiing of aircraft, and even loading and unloading of baggage.

Typically, presidents have taken about 20 to 30 minutes for meet-and-greets on the runway before going into town, but once their coterie of armored cars gets rolling, flight operations will resume.

That’s also when Austin should be ready for major highway closures over the next few hours.

During Austin’s last presidential visit — when Barack Obama made a cameo appearance at the South by Southwest Interactive Festival in March 2016 — the presidential motorcade briefly closed down Texas 71 near the airport and part of South First Street while Obama grabbed some Torchy’s Tacos before heading into downtown.

But Trump has a much longer trip ahead of him: In the early afternoon, he’s supposed to make his way to the Flextronics factory in Northwest Austin, which is about 16 miles away from the airport, and back again.

Although Trump’s final route will be a secret until the closures actually start, we know Texas 71 or U.S. 183 will likely be closed if the motorcade exits the airport from the north or west. But the fastest route to Northwest Austin is a mystery.

• Taking U.S. 183/Ed Bluestein Boulevard would provide the most direct route, but the roadway is plagued by patches of rough pavement and lanes narrowed by construction.

• The Secret Service may prefer using Interstate 35, but that likely will mean shutting down travel from Texas 71 in South Austin to U.S. 183 in Northeast Austin until Trump’s motorcade passes.

• Trump also could use MoPac Boulevard (Loop 1) — another direct north-south artery to get to Northwest Austin — but that would require a much longer trip west, likely along Texas 71.

Because it remains unclear whether Trump will use the same route going back to the airport, drivers could face an entirely different set of highway closures in the late afternoon.

13 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Why don’t they take a helicopter from the airport?

Because Marine One is in Washington, D.C.  It doesn't have the range to fly all the way here and then up to the Apple Campus.  

That said, his motorcade is going to be exposed for a very long period of time (given how short they try to make their drives).  From ABIA all the way to far NW Austin.  

And of course today, I have to get a meeting at 5202 East Ben White at 6:00p.  I'm hoping his motorcade has left by then though, but street closures and pent-up traffic will still be a huge issue.   I should probably leave now.  

I was working at SWA down near Love Field when Obama came to DWF.  Mockingbird, where all the driveways are in the front of the houses and perpendicular with the main road, had LE cars in them.  Each and every one of them.  Leaving work, I'm headed down Mockingbird towards the DNT.  All of a sudden every one of them turned on their lights, moved in unison out on to the road, diverting traffic back over the tollway and into the neighborhoods on the west side of the highway.

Looking down from the bridge on Mockingbird, I see a line of officers side by side north and south of the bridge, completely blocking traffic that was backed up beyond the horizon.  Created a buffer of traffic and what was to be the POTUS motorcade maybe a half mile in each direction.  Lovely 2.5hr commute back to Frisco that day.....

It would seem to me it would be safer for all involved if a helicopter were used.  I know its additional expense but its not like the US can't afford it.

Also, Austin Exec has a 6300 ft runway.  A 747 requires 7500 ft (yeah, I looked it up).  They could use the 757 as AF1 and been north of the traffic chaos.

Edited by gecko

Just now, gecko said:

It would seem to me it would be safer for all involved if a helicopter were used.  I know its additional expense but its not like the US can't afford it.

Also, Austin Exec has a 6300 ft runway.  A 747 requires 7500 ft (yeah, I looked it up).  They could use the 757 as AF1.

As mentioned above I'm guessing it would have to be Marine One, which isn't gonna come from DC

35 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

As mentioned above I'm guessing it would have to be Marine One, which isn't gonna come from DC

From Marine One Wiki:

"Marine One is transported via C-17 Globemaster or C-5 Galaxy military transport planes (as is the president's limousine) wherever the President travels, within the US as well as overseas."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

From Marine One Wiki:

"Marine One is transported via C-17 Globemaster or C-5 Galaxy military transport planes (as is the president's limousine) wherever the President travels, within the US as well as overseas."

Huh.  Well I learned something today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gecko said:

Also, Austin Exec has a 6300 ft runway.  A 747 requires 7500 ft (yeah, I looked it up).  They could use the 757 as AF1 and been north of the traffic chaos.

That doesn't really apply to the president's 747 because it's not a traditional weight as passenger jets. I don't know if it's less or more with all the fancy equipment but way less people. It also depends how much fuel in the plane. You only need about half the max fuel to get from DC to Austin. The engines are also much more powerful than a commercial 747-4.  Still, you're probably right. Might be too close. 

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Just talked to my wife who just crossed Mopac - she said police officers were closing exits/feeders, so it's about to really suck on all of the side streets.

Whereabouts on Mopac.  My wife, who works around the Domain, plans to head north to Cedar Park at 4:30.

I was picturing the Hooli guy from "Silicon Valley" showing the Macbooks to President Trump.  

"So here's an Apple Mac Book Pro.  Here's another Apple Mac Book Pro.  This is also an Apple Mac Book Pro.  And, another Apple Mac Book Pro.  Uh, any questions Mr. President?  No, okay, here's one more Mac Book Pro.  Thanks for visiting."  And then Trump just leaves as quick as he came.  

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I was picturing the Hooli guy from "Silicon Valley" showing the Macbooks to President Trump.  

"So here's an Apple Mac Book Pro.  Here's another Apple Mac Book Pro.  This is also an Apple Mac Book Pro.  And, another Apple Mac Book Pro.  Uh, any questions Mr. President?  No, okay, here's one more Mac Book Pro.  Thanks for visiting."  And then Trump just leaves as quick as he came.  

It's a really fucking weird thing to be flying to Austin just to look at the Mac Pro factory, and then flying back.  Neither he nor of any of his people use them, nor his base.  The optics are weird.  iPhones?  He and all of his staff use them.  MacBook Airs and Pros?  Again, most of his staff use them, they are all over the WH.  But Mac Pros?

Edited by atomheartbevo

IIRC, when Obama cane to town, all flights, before and after AF1 arrived, were grounded for one hour before and after. Mopac was shut down for at least 30 minutes before and after also. My office overlooks Mopac so I got to see the caravan and the complete clusterfuck that resulted once cars were allowed back on the highway.

23 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I was working around 71 and 35 in 2012 or 13. when Obama came to town. That sumbitch had the temerity to fly on in right around 4 PM. I had no idea until I left and got stuck in it. Jesus that was a mess around there. 

I remember that cluster fuck. I had no idea he was coming to town and someone mentioned they were leaving early because of it. I immediately left the office jumped on 183 to GTFO... a couple hours later I exited the Austin city limit. I dropped into the Austin office once a month and happened to show up on the day Obama showed up.

57 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's a really fucking weird thing to be flying to Austin just to look at the Mac Pro factory, and then flying back.

Oh, he opened it.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/11/20/tim-cook-touts-american-made-mac-pro-during-factory-tour-with-president-trump

Trump visited Apple's facilities in Austin, Texas, and was shown around both the existing campus and the new site that broke ground today. 

Edited by atomheartbevo