Thanksgiving Recipes

LW Goatman

On 11/6/2021 at 6:02 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, so Thanksgiving is going to be very different this year.  

The menu so far will be:

Brandy Apple Glazed Pheasant

Venison with Shallots and Cumin (the recipe does chops, but I am going to do a different cut I think)

Potatoes of some kind (Not sure what just yet)

Roasted Green Beans with Pancetta and Lemon Zest

Apple Cake

Dornfelder Kirschkuchen (Chocolate, cherry, and red wine tart)

I am sure there will be a pecan pie as well.  And trying to do another veggie and some bread.  

We do drinks at 5 PM and dinner at 7 PM.  

What will the help be eating?

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2021 at 7:02 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, so Thanksgiving is going to be very different this year.  

The menu so far will be:

Brandy Apple Glazed Pheasant

Venison with Shallots and Cumin (the recipe does chops, but I am going to do a different cut I think)

Potatoes of some kind (Not sure what just yet)

Roasted Green Beans with Pancetta and Lemon Zest

Apple Cake

Dornfelder Kirschkuchen (Chocolate, cherry, and red wine tart)

I am sure there will be a pecan pie as well.  And trying to do another veggie and some bread.  

We do drinks at 5 PM and dinner at 7 PM.  

Why so different this year vs a normal year and how does the above compute? 

On 11/27/2019 at 2:34 PM, Baboontyme said:

Anyone have a good gravy recipe? I probably won't be collecting drippings, I usually cook hot enough that they burn up. I do have the innards and the neck.

I’ve been using Ruhlman’s method for years and love it. Make the stock ahead of time with oven roasted wings and legs, gravy is done while the turkey is still in the oven. If the drippings are just too good to pass up I’ll usually add some to the gravy as an enhancer. You’ll need a fat separator to make that an easier process. 

Alright boys ... its cranberry sauce recipe time. This is so good, your friends will be beating down your door or offering to sacrifice a virgin to get some.

Bag of Fresh cranberries. (Usually that is 12 oz.)

1 cup brown sugar.

3/4 cup Apple juice (or cider)

1/4 cup Orange juice

2 table spoons of bourbon or Grand Marnier.

Zest from one orange.

Chop up the remainder of the orange.

A pinch (or more to taste) of:

Allspice

Cinnamon

Ground Cloves

Cardamom.

Medium heat on the stove top, stirring frequently. Not high heat. The berries will boil over and prematurely burst. (we men like NOTHING to be premature).

Stir, stir.

When most berries have popped, pull off heat and let cool off. Put in frig.

Pull out about an hour before serving.

These stay good for days in the frig and improve each day.

Enjoy.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/20/2019 at 2:15 PM, NoName said:

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/51510-jalapeno-tamale-dressing-(plus-!tail-bonus!)

was posted over there by @Bozo_Casanova

if you dont want to click on it, then:

Hide contents

First, we start with a sautee of some mustard seeds, cominos, a couple of japs, two poblanos, two red bells, an onion,a head of garlic, some celery, rosemary, thyme, and sage:

Now, lets mix that in with some stale cornbread and crushed tostadas

And add some creamed corn and frozen corn, too. Gross, you say? wait...

What, your grandma puts eggs in hers? Let's use goat cheese instead.

a couple of cups of chicken stock later, we have...glop

What about these tamales?

In you go

cover, bake for 45 mins at 325.

In the meantime, let's have a Headless Horseman!
Ginger ale, vodka, ice, bitters

bitters over ice, then vodka, top off with ginger ale.
Delicious!

After 45 mins, uncover!

Bake for another 20 mins at 400

Let's take a look...

Now we cover it back up, refrigerate overnight. Reheat at 350, covered, for 50 mins, and uncovered for 425 for 15.
Tomorrow we dine!

My version is better than the Jack Allen/ZTejas

• Hook 'Em 1

We've got the following on the menu:

Smoked turkey from Moody's Meats (If you're in the CC area, you should try this - it's barely more than the cost of buying an uncooked turkey - incredible deal)

Crockpot turkey breast (The GF wanted to try this - I'm not saying no and it looks and smells great so far)

Regular stuffing (but the GF adds stuff to make it not regular)

Crawfish cornbread Dressing

Mashed Taters

Gravy with drippings

Green Bean Casserole

Sweet potatoes with marshmallows

Bread pudding with whisky sauce and spiced cream for dessert

Dressing and stuffing go into the oven in about 1.5 hrs.  Smoked turkey when those come out.  Green bean casserole and sweet potatoes after it's done.  Bread pudding goes in just before we eat so it's nice and warm come dessert time.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

I made a new mac (shells) n cheese for today’s lunch. Pre-made last night and going to bake for 30 mins at 350 right before lunch to finish. 

0FC25749-A247-48BD-B1DF-1A2F2745A728.jpeg

1EE42948-4EAF-4BC6-91FC-CD2FEB93D424.jpeg

5752895D-6774-4525-B6A2-870991E1767B.jpeg

FFFA7A77-7636-4AEE-964D-68103905ABDE.jpeg

This turned out amazing. I cobbled it together from a few different recipes and incorporated the rosemary on my own, so I’m posting the recipe here as much for memorializing it myself as anything. Obviously you can use whatever cheese you like but I wanted a strong cheddar combined with a mild and creamy cheese for texture. 

• 1 (16-oz) box small shells
  • ½ cup butter
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 cups milk
  • 1 lb butterkase cheese, grated (Muenster, Gouda, havarti, similar cheese is fine) 
  • 1 lb sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
  • Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
  • Dash cayenne pepper
  • 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (french bread or brioche buns in a food processor works well)
  • 3 Tbsp butter, melted
  • Fresh rosemary, finely chopped

• Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x13x2-inch baking dish.
  • Cook pasta 2 minutes shy of al dente directions. Drain.
  • In a large saucepan, melt ½ cup butter. Slowly whisk in the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
  • Slowly whisk in milk until well blended. Reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes, until thickened.
  • Stir in butterkase and cheddar cheeses. Remove from heat.
  • Stir in salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic powder.
  • Combine cheese sauce and pasta, stir to coat. Spoon pasta into prepared pan.
  • Combine fresh bread crumbs, melted butter, and rosemary. Sprinkle on top of pasta.
  • Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, until topping is golden brown. 

EB7D5E4E-9DA3-45A9-AD5B-39EC027F859F.jpeg

2FACFCC1-E833-4BD5-8F4A-C5B10B37585B.jpeg

Edited by Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Shaddie said:

We did a Greenberg smoked turkey

Not good at all. Extremely over smoked. 
Will probably throw out the rest. Will try a little in a soup but if it over powers that it is gone. And like a lot of smoke. 

Personally I love the Greenberg turkey. Making stock for gumbo with the carcass right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Personally I love the Greenberg turkey. Making stock for gumbo with the carcass right now.

I smoke stuff, and this turkey tasted like ash. However I did make stock out of carcass yesterday. I am wondering if it was smoked for too long or somebody got some bad wood. 

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

We did a Greenberg smoked turkey

Not good at all. Extremely over smoked. 
Will probably throw out the rest. Will try a little in a soup but if it over powers that it is gone. And like a lot of smoke. 

An old friend of mine put it best.  How do you make a Greenberg Smoked Turkey?  You hang a bunch of turkeys in an old house and set the house on fire.

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...
On 11/24/2021 at 3:31 PM, Lidig8r said:

Alright boys ... its cranberry sauce recipe time. This is so good, your friends will be beating down your door or offering to sacrifice a virgin to get some.

Bag of Fresh cranberries. (Usually that is 12 oz.)

1 cup brown sugar.

3/4 cup Apple juice (or cider)

1/4 cup Orange juice

2 table spoons of bourbon or Grand Marnier.

Zest from one orange.

Chop up the remainder of the orange.

A pinch (or more to taste) of:

Allspice

Cinnamon

Ground Cloves

Cardamom.

Medium heat on the stove top, stirring frequently. Not high heat. The berries will boil over and prematurely burst. (we men like NOTHING to be premature).

Stir, stir.

When most berries have popped, pull off heat and let cool off. Put in frig.

Pull out about an hour before serving.

These stay good for days in the frig and improve each day.

Enjoy.

my mom, then sister in later years, always cooked everything for Thanksgiving. so my sister learned all those recipes and techniques, while I did a fancy prime rib or rack of lamb or something for Christmas.

but now we're in CO and won't see family until December... so I'm literally hosting my first full on Thanksgiving for friends next week! 😮🤔

when mom passed a few years ago i found many of her written recipes (dressing, german stuffing, pumpkin cake, etc)...

but i wanted a fresh cranberry sauce recipe, think i'll try this one as i've already got the GM! 😊

i'm pretty good with technique and flavors, i figure i'll just follow the cooking instructions with the turkey... and I'll have a ham as backup 😄

any turkey tips, warnings, etc? 🤨

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

my mom, then sister in later years, always cooked everything for Thanksgiving. so my sister learned all those recipes and techniques, while I did a fancy prime rib or rack of lamb or something for Christmas.

but now we're in CO and won't see family until December... so I'm literally hosting my first full on Thanksgiving for friends next week! 😮🤔

when mom passed a few years ago i found many of her written recipes (dressing, german stuffing, pumpkin cake, etc)...

but i wanted a fresh cranberry sauce recipe, think i'll try this one as i've already got the GM! 😊

i'm pretty good with technique and flavors, i figure i'll just follow the cooking instructions with the turkey... and I'll have a ham as backup 😄

any turkey tips, warnings, etc? 🤨

Just go with the Apple Cider and no OJ.

We have some good friends, neighbors who refer to my cranberry sauce as "cranberry crack."

Enjoy!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/26/2021 at 10:09 AM, Planet Houston said:

This turned out amazing. I cobbled it together from a few different recipes and incorporated the rosemary on my own, so I’m posting the recipe here as much for memorializing it myself as anything. Obviously you can use whatever cheese you like but I wanted a strong cheddar combined with a mild and creamy cheese for texture. 

• 1 (16-oz) box small shells
  • ½ cup butter
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 cups milk
  • 1 lb butterkase cheese, grated (Muenster, Gouda, havarti, similar cheese is fine) 
  • 1 lb sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
  • Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
  • Dash cayenne pepper
  • 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (french bread or brioche buns in a food processor works well)
  • 3 Tbsp butter, melted
  • Fresh rosemary, finely chopped

• Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x13x2-inch baking dish.
  • Cook pasta 2 minutes shy of al dente directions. Drain.
  • In a large saucepan, melt ½ cup butter. Slowly whisk in the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
  • Slowly whisk in milk until well blended. Reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes, until thickened.
  • Stir in butterkase and cheddar cheeses. Remove from heat.
  • Stir in salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic powder.
  • Combine cheese sauce and pasta, stir to coat. Spoon pasta into prepared pan.
  • Combine fresh bread crumbs, melted butter, and rosemary. Sprinkle on top of pasta.
  • Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, until topping is golden brown. 

EB7D5E4E-9DA3-45A9-AD5B-39EC027F859F.jpeg

2FACFCC1-E833-4BD5-8F4A-C5B10B37585B.jpeg

2 lbs of cheese for 1 lb of pasta?

Gotta have something to drink while whipping up the T-giving spread.  Here's a good "fall cocktail."  

2 oz. apple brandy
¾ oz. fresh lemon juice
½ oz. fresh orange juice
½ oz. real maple syrup
2 dashes Angostura bitters
Freshly grated nutmeg

Combine applejack, lemon juice, orange juice, maple syrup, and bitters in a cocktail shaker. Add ice and shake until the outside of the shaker is frosty, about 20 seconds.

Strain into an ice-filled rocks glass and sprinkle nutmeg on top to taste.

Makes 1

• Hook 'Em 1

My cranberry sauce is pretty simple. Family wants it even if we’re doing prime rib or barbecue or Tex Mex for holiday meals. Goes great with venison backstraps or on good tamales. I usually double or triple it.

12 oz bag of fresh cranberries.
1 cup orange juice
4oz water
12oz sugar (I like sweet, cut down to 8oz if you wish)
1 Orange: zest the peel with a micro plane. Trim it well and remove the sections as “supremes”. The easy hack: zest the orange, drain a can or two of mandarins and use them.
2 fresh jalapenos, seeded

Make a few days early to set up.

Bring the liquids, sugar, and berries to boil and then lower to medium simmer as they pop. Add the orange, zest, and jalapeño and bring down to simmer. Let cool, put in a container, put in fridge.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did you use all the sugar? Did you do the orange or a can of mandarins? I’ve done chopped pecans but kids like without.
I went with 8 oz. of sugar and since the orange was being a pain in the ass, I peeled a couple of cuties and tossed them in there.

I’m in Scotland this week visiting my kid, so no dressing. I guess it’s to be haggis. Will report back.

In the meantime if somebody makes my dressing for the first time, a couple of things:

1) this is a forgiving recipe but the ratio of liquid to solid in the Z Tejas version is waaay too high and you should not go near that point. If anything, cut a couple of tablespoons from mine and mix in slowly to achieve your desired gloppiness- cornbread and tamales vary.

2) add tamales pieces last and fold in. Try not to break up the chunks 

3) your dressing will be MUCH better with stale cornbread. Make it today if you can or buy yesterday’s cornbread at HEB.

4) I’ve come to the conclusion that goat cheese is essential. 

5) don’t use fancy tamales- HEB La Comida or Hill Country Fare pork tamales work best. You want thick, firm masa shells.

6) a genius DM’d me once about this, so let me answer their question here: yes, you should remove the husks. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m in Scotland this week visiting my kid, so no dressing. I guess it’s to be haggis. Will report back.

In the meantime if somebody makes my dressing for the first time, a couple of things:

1) this is a forgiving recipe but the ratio of liquid to solid in the Z Tejas version is waaay too high and you should not go near that point. If anything, cut a couple of tablespoons from mine and mix in slowly to achieve your desired gloppiness- cornbread and tamales vary.

3) your dressing will be MUCH better with stale cornbread. Make it today if you can or buy yesterday’s cornbread at HEB.

5) don’t use fancy tamales- HEB La Comida or Hill Country Fare pork tamales work best. You want thick, firm masa shells.

6) a genius DM’d me once about this, so let me answer their question here: yes, you should remove the husks. 

Made my cornbread yesterday. Will be making your recipe on Thursday to take to my Dad’s place for football and beer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Thanks for respecting my anonymity. Those husks fucking hurt on their way out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/16/2022 at 11:16 PM, Lidig8r said:

Just go with the Apple Cider and no OJ.

We have some good friends, neighbors who refer to my cranberry sauce as "cranberry crack."

Enjoy!

no idea how this is gonna taste... i'm cooking at altitude as well as doing all this for the first time 😄 also...didn't have Grand Marnier after all...subbed Cointreau 😏 if I fucked it up, i have a can of the jelly stuff 😁

anyway... look right?

20221123_160409.thumb.jpg.ad1487b3f19dcf977a8e8ae86c61d99b.jpg

also progress on baked goods... mom's pumpkin cake and a 30 year old recipe called Denise's Killer Chocolate Chip Cookies. and no, i have no idea who Denise was but her cookies are awesome. 

20221123_163916.jpg

20221123_163042.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 11/22/2022 at 6:36 AM, Texzilla58 said:

Yeah the harvesting supremes out of an orange is a pain in the ass so I usually skip it. We’re not that formal. I’ve done the cuties too.

So afterthought.  I've seen a few recipes where they run the sauce through a sieve.  I just threw it in a jar (chunky style).  Seems pretty tasty.  Your recipe didn't mention that step.  So I obediently didn't do it.

Hey that’s a great idea! I’m thinking I take the immersion blender to tomorrow’s batch and smooth it out.

I’m one that likes to use recipes as guides except for baking. Thanks for the suggestion. I think the grandkids will like it better smoother.

I made it once with apple juice and mini diced Granny Smith apples that I added after the boil with the jalapeño as I wanted them crunchy.

• Hook 'Em 1