2020 New Music Thread

4th&Five

1 hour ago, stc said:

it's amazing the degree to which tame impala in no way resembles the band that put out innerspeaker in 2010. not into these last couple of albums at all.  

They definitely changed from trippy guitar band to more of a trippy dream pop kinda band.

I like their older stuff and embraced Currents and the new sound. I think that album is excellent.

Have listened to the new one once all the way through at work today and it has a few good songs, but does not play well as a full album, which all of their other stuff does. 

Will give it another try this weekend. Back to Stern on Monday, he's been off for 2 weeks and i'm going through withdrawals...

On 2/18/2020 at 7:54 AM, 4th&Five said:

More of a vintage PJ sound for second release. 

Probably my 2nd favorite band of all time, and pretty much loved (or really liked) all of their albums.

This is just stale.  ~Lazy chords~ just putting them together to make a song.  Maybe they're running out of ideas.

Hope the rest is better.

On 2/21/2020 at 9:32 AM, bizzle said:

he has randomly written one of my favorite songs of the last decade, and not sure i enjoy anything else by him.

Great tune.  I’m lukewarm on Blood Orange, but I really dig this song. It helps that he cedes vocals to a female and the music has a 1980s Tangerine Dream-ish sound it.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 11:24 AM, pepper brooks said:

no official word it seems, but I won't be surprised if the dawn of the U2 station on XM that is set to launch at some point this year is accompanied by a new album, or at least some new music.  

New U2 Album: In the Home Straight

'There's only one reason for U2 to put an album out right now,' Bono tells The Sun. 'It has to be a monster, a dragon, and this is.'

Speaking at the Dublin unveiling of his paintings for Peter and the Wolf, Bono said that the band's work on the new album is 'nearly finished.'

'We're nearly finished -- we're in the home straight. There's only one reason for U2 to put an album out right now -- it has to be a monster, a dragon, and this is.
'It's filled with big tunes and it's driven by a guitar player who is sick of the sight of me shaking hands with dodgy politicians. The anger is unbelievable.'

Earlier in the summer, he described the new recording as evidence that the band are 'getting closer to making the music we have always wanted to make.'

The Edge has described the band's latest music as 'very Raw, Rock 'n' Roll'.

And Edge, explains Bono, is the driving force in the studio at present.
'The Edge is the most gifted guitar player of his generation -- that's obvious. He's driving it and he's going, 'This is enough, if I see one more photo of you with a dodgy politician I'm going to throw up.'

In an extensive interview with Dominic Mohan, Bono also talks about the death of his father two years ago, his ongoing campaigning work on behalf of the poorest countries and his enjoyment at being able to return to painting. "I used to paint long before I dreamed of putting on wraparound shades and selling tunes for U2."

I'm a huge U2 fan.  One of my favorite bands of all time.  I've seen them four times in concert, including an amazing show in Dublin in 2009.  But I think their best music is now well behind them.  Haven't really liked the last two albums. 

Edited by South Austin

I think U2 put together some really good albums and great songs, but I haven't liked anything they've done in nearly 30 years.  After Achtung Baby they went off a cliff, IMO.   If Bono is calling this a "monster" or "dragon", it's probably a pile.  Musicians are notoriously bad at being objective about their work, and he might be one of the worst at it.

33 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think U2 put together some really good albums and great songs, but I haven't liked anything they've done in nearly 30 years.  After Achtung Baby they went off a cliff, IMO.   If Bono is calling this a "monster" or "dragon", it's probably a pile.  Musicians are notoriously bad at being objective about their work, and he might be one of the worst at it.

All that is fair.  I actually really liked Zooropa and No Line on the Horizon, but though the rest of their post-Actung albums ranged from meh to "C'mon, guys."  They still put on a great live show. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

giphy.gif

40 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

i'm a total homer, but I disagree pretty strongly on this.  2000 album All That You Can't Leave Behind was fantastic, and 2004 How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was as well.  Both were sort of a "return to their roots" style.  I was not a huge fan of No Line on the Horizon mainly because they claimed it was an "experimental" album, but really it wasn't and frankly was just boring.  Songs of Innocence..meh….Song of Experience was better than I expected.  Had a few great songs, and some whiny shit I didn't care for much.  They're clearly past their prime, but Bono will be 60 this year.  I don't expect another Joshua Tree or Achtung, or even  ATYCHLB, but I won't be shocked if they put out something with a few kick ass tracks.  If they can get out of their own way and make some rock inspired tracks and stop trying to be so ultra sensitive/philosophical about their message they can still churn out a great album.  I think.  We shall see. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

New U2 Album: In the Home Straight

I'm a huge U2 fan.  One of my favorite bands of all time.  I've seen them four times in concert, including an amazing show in Dublin in 2009.  But I think their best music is now well behind them.  Haven't really liked the last two albums. 

that article is from 2003 before they released HOW to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.  Not recent at all.  

9 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

i'm a total homer, but I disagree pretty strongly on this.  2000 album All That You Can't Leave Behind was fantastic, and 2004 How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was as well.  Both were sort of a "return to their roots" style.  I was not a huge fan of No Line on the Horizon mainly because they claimed it was an "experimental" album, but really it wasn't and frankly was just boring.  Songs of Innocence..meh….Song of Experience was better than I expected.  Had a few great songs, and some whiny shit I didn't care for much.  They're clearly past their prime, but Bono will be 60 this year.  I don't expect another Joshua Tree or Achtung, or even  ATYCHLB, but I won't be shocked if they put out something with a few kick ass tracks.  If they can get out of their own way and make some rock inspired tracks and stop trying to be so ultra sensitive/philosophical about their message they can still churn out a great album.  I think.  We shall see. 

I tried with both of those albums and they just never landed with me at all.  They both had lavish critical praise heaped on them upon release, and Bono has counted them among their best work.  "All That You Can't Leave Behind" even made Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, and has some ridiculous quote from Bono about them finally being "sexy".  Like I said, I've really enjoyed a large chunk of their career.  "Joshua Tree" and "Unforgettable Fire" were some of my old man's favorites and got worn out in my house growing up.  They're seared into my brain.

"Sexy" is a not a word I would use to describe any of that.

I'm kind of nit-picking one example, but it just kind of highlights the general trend in their work/persona that has caused me to lose interest.

• Like 1

From 9/2019.  Guess we will see if it happens or not.  

U2 HAVE already begun work on a new album which will be a significant departure from the band’s previous sound

The Irish band are busy preparing for the next leg of The Joshua Tree Tour 2019 but have reportedly began work on a new album.

It’s news that could go some way to quashing any notion of the group potentially retiring with Bono previously hinting that U2 could look to wind things down.

According to an interview with Italian music website Rockol, One Republic frontman and songwriter/producer Ryan Tedder has been contacted by the band.

Tedder hinted that the new album could also mark a significant departure from the highly-produced sound of Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience.

"I spoke to them just last week. We will work together on some new pieces when I am in Los Angeles," Tedder told  translated by atu2.com.

"I think it's their intention to make a record completely different from the last two. It will be easier. You know, it's like a pendulum. When you make a very produced album, with so many instruments in it, the next project you want it more sparse and you wonder: what if the disc had the sound of four musicians playing in a room?"

On 2/25/2020 at 12:42 PM, RiverwalkMiner said:

New Chicano Batman dropped today.  I'm digging it.

Tour dates also announced. 

these guys seem like they try really hard, but i enjoy in spite of it.

and the lack of respect given to U2's 'pop' is criminal. incredible album, and while i realize this puts me in the vast minority, i'll take the 3 album run from achtung baby-zooropa-pop over the rest of their catalog, especially if i get passengers soundtrack as a bonus. 

13 hours ago, bizzle said:

and the lack of respect given to U2's 'pop' is criminal. incredible album, and while i realize this puts me in the vast minority, i'll take the 3 album run from achtung baby-zooropa-pop over the rest of their catalog, especially if i get passengers soundtrack as a bonus. 

The minority in which you reside is indeed vast.  Zoorpopa was a decent follow up to Actung, but Pop was garbage. Even the band was self-aware enough to realize that and course correct for its next album.

On 2/25/2020 at 8:26 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I think U2 put together some really good albums and great songs, but I haven't liked anything they've done in nearly 30 years.  After Achtung Baby they went off a cliff, IMO.   

Couldn't agree with this more.  Off a fucking cliff.

First decade of albums:  unique sounds with texture and space.  Smart production and exquisite engineering.

Three decades since then:  Aural chainsaw, like a buzzing swarm of angry bees in a room with three old televisions blaring white noise.  Sort of like Nickelback, if Nickelback was more self-satisfied, less original, and more annoying.   

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 1:11 PM, NOMAAA said:

id like to hear a new walkmen album.  

I know I posted about it on this thread already, and it's certainly not a new Walkmen album, but Walter Martin's new album "The World At Night" is really damn good.

• 2 weeks later...