2020 New Music Thread

4th&Five

haven't had much luck finding anything good this year. pj record is indeed the best in a decade but that's a very low bar to clear. enjoying the new deftones that came out last week and need to listen to the new flaming lips. nude party and frankie and the witch fingers both have albums coming out this month. 

23 hours ago, stc said:

haven't had much luck finding anything good this year. pj record is indeed the best in a decade but that's a very low bar to clear. enjoying the new deftones that came out last week and need to listen to the new flaming lips. nude party and frankie and the witch fingers both have albums coming out this month. 

Seinfeld Ok GIF

stuff i've really liked this year:

• the strokes - the new abnormal
  • the airborne toxic event - hollywood park
  • jason isbell and the 400 unit - reunions
  • nada surf - never not together
  • taylor swift - folklore
  • the weeknd - after hours
  • tame impala - the slow rush (step down from currents though)
  • the killers - imploding the mirage (3 or 4 really good songs on this)
  • fleet foxes - shore (new and i need to listen to it some more, but there are a lot of good songs)

listening to the matt berninger album now.  loved distant axis and serpentine prison when he released them.  gonna need to listen to the rest of it a few times.

digging that avalanches / leon bridges combo.

i'm pretty drunk at 4:30 on a friday, but i am enjoying beabadoobee much more than i should be this past week, and playing her way too loud in my car. 90s revival punk, moldy peaches / veruca salt-ish. pretty awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 11:43 AM, NOMAAA said:

should be expected at this point, but the bahamas album that came out a couple weeks ago is fantastic.

I was completely oblivious to Bahamas until it randomly showed up on a playlist in Spotify. Fucking fantastic. Didn't know there was a new album. Will check it out.

You've said it -- as have others -- but I finally have spent some real time on the new Strokes album and damn it's good.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 12:00 AM, C-Man said:

You've said it -- as have others -- but I finally have spent some real time on the new Strokes album and damn it's good.

Caught up with this one recently, too. There's 3 or 4 really good songs and the rest is kind of meh to me. Eternal Summer is brilliant.

Which... makes it a good album and almost a great one in my book. They sound more derivative than they ever have and somehow that's a huge selling point for me at this point in their career. Maybe because they were never that derivative at all to my ear.

Digging the new Avalanches album.

Edited by ztejas

20 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

I don’t find is this it or reptilia to be “derivative” but thought your comment was funny about this record since they credit billy idol and the psychedelic furs on this album.

Why would that make my comment funny? You're basically supporting my take. 

And in case anyone might get the wrong idea, I tend to use derivative interchangeably with influenced. I know the word has taken on a pretty negative connotation.

On 12/12/2020 at 1:59 PM, NOMAAA said:

Not funny in an asshole way. It was funny that you said it was derivative and they literally gave writing credits to two other bands for ripping off their sound and it appeared you didn’t know that. 

Ah. Yes, I didn't know that. Not surprising. And I actually thought you were referring to RR producing the album. Which I'm guessing gave it a more mainstream or accessible sound (not sure if those are the right words - I'm sure you get what I'm saying. Contemporary might be the word). 

I think they ripped a couple of Jay Bennett tracks, too.

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Ah. Yes, I didn't know that. Not surprising. And I actually thought you were referring to RR producing the album. Which I'm guessing gave it a more mainstream or accessible sound (not sure if those are the right words - I'm sure you get what I'm saying. Contemporary might be the word). 

I think they ripped a couple of Jay Bennett tracks, too.

Haha

On 10/9/2020 at 7:05 PM, ztejas said:

New Future Islands is very good. Not great. They haven't really changed their sound at all which I actually give props for, but it does limit their ceiling.

This one is awesome:

Saw Future Islands in a small room in 03-04 or 05?  Can't remember--was there to see another band and they had just moved up from Carolina, think that's right.  People were there and seemed to love them and they were all on stage with the band the whole time--which was like a stage for plays--about as big as a high school classroom and the lights were all on the entire time.  Was an interesting experience--weird looking but very charismatic singer.  They blew up almost overnight seemed.  Love the times when you see somebody by chance on the way up.  So many times, you see really good bands that don't make it.  

18 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

was there to see another band and they had just moved up from Carolina, think that's right.

NVM - you're right - from Carolina originally, came up out of Baltimore and got their break there. Neat story - thanks for sharing. I saw them at SXSW in 2017 - they were awesome.

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Saw Future Islands in a small room in 03-04 or 05?  Can't remember--was there to see another band and they had just moved up from Carolina, think that's right.  People were there and seemed to love them and they were all on stage with the band the whole time--which was like a stage for plays--about as big as a high school classroom and the lights were all on the entire time.  Was an interesting experience--weird looking but very charismatic singer.  They blew up almost overnight seemed.  Love the times when you see somebody by chance on the way up.  So many times, you see really good bands that don't make it.  

Ambulance LTD. French Kicks.  Man i need to make a list.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...