spouses/family & politics

bad_teammate

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Honestly, the idea that someone could be married to a Trumper or even a Republican is just baffling to me, which has caused me to rethink how open minded I really am. 

I think 20, even 10 years ago, I could see marrying a Republican, but I couldn't fathom living with someone who hasn't written all that shit off by now. 

*And yes, undefeated, but that has to be some rose smelling, go to the gym everyday non-sagging undefeated.  

My mom is a q Anon junky, it ain't fun. She's pleasent the rest of the time. My dad is pretty non political and still survives.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can be around someone that identifies as a Republican based on historic definitions, even last decade, but not someone that is actually a Trump fan.

You're good people.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Meanwhile, GF's mom, a lovely woman, thinks Trump is an asshole, but she will vote for him again, because "the economy".  She thinks it was horrible before Trump was elected (she's been retired 40 years).  I  have tried to tell her about the massive improvements under Obama, but she thinks I'm either making it up or sadly mistaken.  She lives in FL.  She was out here recently, and mentioned something about watching a new channel called OANN.    She's not on social media at all.  

I have mixed thoughts about trump and the economy. I actually think standing up to China is a necessary step but I don't agree on the ridiculous methods he's employed. For the overall economy, Trump is deploying the ultimate short-sighted views. When the economy will take its inevitable downturn, there are few tools left to combat it. You need to leave tax cuts and zero interest for the bad times, and not use them in the good times to crank it up even more.

But the average American is going to believe whatever "news" source tells them about the economy and/or based on their own bank account. If Trump/OANN/Fox tells them the economy has never been better, then they agree.

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A side comment like that could go over worse than a heart-to-heart talk about it. I would think that spending more alone time with the overweight kids would be the best option. One, you can control their food choices somewhat, and two they might open up if they are concerned about their own weight.The latter invites you to educate them on choosing lower calorie options.

Excellent point. You can only affect change by being involved and you will accomplish nothing by making a snarky comment other than proving that you are a dick. If someone genuinely cares about a kid's weight problem then they need to get involved as a mentor, if the kid is in involved in sports that is an easy way to get involved. Of course this assumes the adult is a decent role model and actually knows what they are talking about regarding fitness and nutrition.

5 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Fat families don't think they're fat.  Their self awareness is almost zero on the subject.  They're not fat, they're just a "little overweight."  It's genetics, too, they say, as they shovel more pie down.

Good luck bringing that up.

Same goes for pets.  My parents have had dog after dog that has gotten morbidly obese.  They recognize that the dogs are fat but seem utterly mystified at how they got that way.

I had a Hungarian Visla that we had to move out of my house to their ranch because he was barking at some of my son's friends.  They were happy to have him out there and they grew quite fond of him.  For those of you not familiar with the breed they are kind of smaller and more petite version of a Wymariner, except with a burnt orange coat and eyes.  This dog was beautiful, sleek, fast, and in optimal health when he went to the ranch.  Six month's later you could set a dinner plate on his back.

I jumped their shit one time over this and hilarity (not really) ensued.  I was grateful for the help, but had I known, I would have given him to someone else or spent some money on training or something.  It was a difficult decision at the time, seeing as how we had another baby on the way and all that goes with that.  I regret the decision.

Mom is also a Trumper, but we try not engage in political talk.  Although, she does try to dig every time I see her, always saying something about how well the economy(stocks) is doing.

Dad is a one issue republican (abortion), is a hard ass catholic, and doesn't know shit about anything political other than that.

Same goes for pets.  My parents have had dog after dog that has gotten morbidly obese.  They recognize that the dogs are fat but seem utterly mystified at how they got that way.
I had a Hungarian Visla that we had to move out of my house to their ranch because he was barking at some of my son's friends.  They were happy to have him out there and they grew quite fond of him.  For those of you not familiar with the breed they are kind of smaller and more petite version of a Wymariner, except with a burnt orange coat and eyes.  This dog was beautiful, sleek, fast, and in optimal health when he went to the ranch.  Six month's later you could set a dinner plate on his back.
I jumped their shit one time over this and hilarity (not really) ensued.  I was grateful for the help, but had I known, I would have given him to someone else or spent some money on training or something.  It was a difficult decision at the time, seeing as how we had another baby on the way and all that goes with that.  I regret the decision.
Mom is also a Trumper, but we try not engage in political talk.  Although, she does try to dig every time I see her, always saying something about how well the economy(stocks) is doing.
Dad is a one issue republican (abortion), is a hard ass catholic, and doesn't know shit about anything political other than that.

Ask her, “Mom, I’m smart....so who is my real father?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Honestly, the idea that someone could be married to a Trumper or even a Republican is just baffling to me, which has caused me to rethink how open minded I really am. 

I think 20, even 10 years ago, I could see marrying a Republican, but I couldn't fathom living with someone who hasn't written all that shit off by now. 

*And yes, undefeated, but that has to be some rose smelling, go to the gym everyday non-sagging undefeated.  

no fucking shit.

i can't stand people who support trump as a general rule, and that goes for family. there is just no reasoning with someone that batshit. and all our wives are batshit, but that's beyond the fucking pale batshit, imo.

when it comes to trump, i tried to be open minded. the time for that is over. you support trump, i think you are a mindless fucking moron. full stop.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

when it comes to trump, i tried to be open minded. the time for that is over. you support trump, i think you are a mindless fucking moron. full stop.

This.  I've cut off family ties, and effectively ended friendships.  I have no regrets.  There's no civility or conversation with folks willing to tolerate (for example) a regime that is guided by an open white nationalist (Stephen Miller).  I can't do it.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

SOME mashed potatoes in a diet is like rocking out on the commute when Steppenwolf sings "Born to Be Wild."

ONLY mashed potatoes in a diet is like buying an actual Steppenwolf album, and listening to it over and over again.

Brilliant, mostly because as I remember, Born to be Wild was the first song on side one of the Steppenwolf album I had and Magic Carpet Ride was the first song on Side 2.. So I remember listening two the first song of each side over and over. 

Yep, verified.

tempAAPP_115__122828__02202017084135-254

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  I've cut off family ties, and effectively ended friendships.  I have no regrets.  There's no civility or conversation with folks willing to tolerate (for example) a regime that is guided by an open white nationalist (Stephen Miller).  I can't do it.

Even as someone who despises trump and will never vote republican again in my life, I think this is going too far. 

First of all for me personally, my Dad is a trumpkin and I’m not gonna cut off all relations with him just because he got brainwashed in old age and I didn’t do anything to stop it.

Also one of my best friends who I’ve known from the sixth grade is a trumpkin. Somewhat ironically he is Hispanic, family from the border, not wealthy. What I do when I see him is as long as he’s not with his wife (who is a trumpkin herself and would get upset) is I give him tons of shit about it unmercifully, and finally get him to admit that trump is corrupt. He of course falls back to the all politicians are corrupt schtick. 

I can get away with it because I’ve known him forever and we go way back. Point is you shouldn’t not engage at all. People are just ignorant. 

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Even as someone who despises trump and will never vote republican again in my life, I think this is going too far. 

First of all for me personally, my Dad is a trumpkin and I’m not gonna cut off all relations with him just because he got brainwashed in old age and I didn’t do anything to stop it.

Also one of my best friends who I’ve known from the sixth grade is a trumpkin. Somewhat ironically he is Hispanic, family from the border, not wealthy. What I do when I see him is as long as he’s not with his wife (who is a trumpkin herself and would get upset) is I give him tons of shit about it unmercifully, and finally get him to admit that trump is corrupt. He of course falls back to the all politicians are corrupt schtick. 

I can get away with it because I’ve known him forever and we go way back. Point is you shouldn’t not engage at all. People are just ignorant. 

Counterpoint -- life is too short to waste it trying to convince shitty people not to be shitty.  I felt the way you did in the beginning of this admin.  Today, sorry, there's no excuse.  People who support evil aren't worth my time or energy.  I have enough decent people in my life who deserve my attention and time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Counterpoint -- life is too short to waste it trying to convince shitty people not to be shitty.  I felt the way you did in the beginning of this admin.  Today, sorry, there's no excuse.  People who support evil aren't worth my time or energy.  I have enough decent people in my life who deserve my attention and time.

It’s worth your time and energy if the support is out of ignorance. It may not do any good, but sometimes it’s enough just to create doubt.

My dad for example did not vote for ted Cruz last election. I think I played a part in that, along with the rest of the family.  It wasn’t enough but it made it one step closer. 

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

These last few posts bring up some things about olds and the internet.

When I was trying to teach my 80-something year old Dad how to google things, I could not stop him from paying attention to the ads and dreck in the margins.  I began to understand how people that grew up with the internet learn to ignore commercial and other crap to get to the real information.  And also how we learned to take things with a grain of salt and to deduce or estimate the veracity of any given chunk of information.

Olds don't have the mental flexibility to do that anymore.  It's hard enough to get them to learn to use the internet or a computer, let alone to perform the filtering that internet veterans do subconsciously.

Facebook probably makes it worse because all the "information" is formatted more or less in the same way and there are fewer tipoffs that it's utter bullshit as there may be on the internet at large.

Just an observation, carry on.

78139172_10221149547237963_8855028529083

I posted this on FB just today.  If my wife were bother with a response, it would be a parroted line about "Snoops is just some married couple who are liberals.".  Never mind that it's actually "Snopes" & who gives as shit about their marital status?  That's like saying "Trump is just some married guy from New York.".  & When I explain that every bit they do a piece on has citations & back story, that is brushed off like Ricky evading aggy in '98.

I feel I must retract my initial post about my family being apolitical. My in-laws are staying at our house for Thanksgiving and they are quite riled up about the 2020 election. My youngest son is a toddler and accidentally turned the channel to CNN, which led to a commie news network comment. 

Also, there seems to be some parents about to lose their child because they refuse to let him/her transition? I haven’t heard anything about this story, but the in-laws are extremely rankled about it. I’m looking forward to getting the alcohol flowing, though, to be sure. 

• Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Has anybody thought about reacting to FB paranoia/Racist jokes/Conspiracy theories by going "OMG I NEVER REALIZED THAT BUT THAT IS EXACTLY HOW IT IS TELL ME MORE."? Should be entertaining at least.

No, but a British dude said that Americans are a bunch of inbred rednecks, I countered with a bunch of stereotypes of Scottish, British, Irish, and black people as the cake topper. They deleted my comment.

1 hour ago, Chrispy_ said:

I feel I must retract my initial post about my family being apolitical. My in-laws are staying at our house for Thanksgiving and they are quite riled up about the 2020 election. My youngest son is a toddler and accidentally turned the channel to CNN, which led to a commie news network comment. 

Also, there seems to be some parents about to lose their child because they refuse to let him/her transition? I haven’t heard anything about this story, but the in-laws are extremely rankled about it. I’m looking forward to getting the alcohol flowing, though, to be sure. 

Lying about inane bullshit is not amusing.

4 hours ago, Chrispy_ said:

CNN is the commie news network while Fox News hosts are arguing that we should support Russia over Ukraine?

• Like 3

My husband and I and his whole side of the family hates Trump. My parents don't hate him as much as we do, but they aren't fans. My mom's sisters and their husbands and kids, though, are super brainwashed MAGA people. It sucks because I love them but they are definitely beholden to the opinions of their circles of friends and the Fox News crowd and believe every bullshit meme they come across. I avoid politics at all costs around them. There's no point in arguing with people when you don't share the same standard of truth. I usually volunteer to get everyone more drinks when it comes up.

I’m a Trump guy and a lot of my immediate family is as well. I do have a good amount of extended family and friends that are pretty hardcore left wing. Like everything else, most are pretty good people regardless of their affiliation. But like everything else a few are just dickheads. The people who cause problems over politics are just using politics as an outlet. They would be pulling some other BS at these events even if they didn’t care who was president. Case and point, go see the Bitch About Your Family Holiday Thread. 

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

CNN is the commie news network while Fox News hosts are arguing that we should support Russia over Ukraine?

If this discussion were taking place in the 80’s, your point would certainly have some force behind it. We haven’t discussed Fox News at all, I assume they get their news via AM radio like myself. 

• Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Brilliant, mostly because as I remember, Born to be Wild was the first song on side one of the Steppenwolf album I had and Magic Carpet Ride was the first song on Side 2.. So I remember listening two the first song of each side over and over. 

Yep, verified.

tempAAPP_115__122828__02202017084135-254

I once got my haircut in Nashville one chair over from John Kay's daughter. Absolute and complete smokeshow. No pics -- this was on the era when I would have had to put a hood over myself and the camera and ask her to sit still and hold her pose for 30 seconds while she waited for my hand-held flash to warm up.

And I just Googled her...The years have not been kind. She looks like your typical animal rights fanatic member of the Stevie Nicks Coven with an on- and off-again addiction to meth and some painkiller like Percodan. 

Speaking of Stevie Nicks, some of the best advice I've ever given my son is "Never get involved with a chick named Rhiannon." That means her mom is loop-de-loop coo-coo cah-cah, and she will be too. Like all the others, your dick will be fed to the all-female wolfpack she can summon at will each full moon, just by lighting a single stick of patchouli incense and whispering into her dream catcher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you insist on blathering about your political views with family over the holidays, you're a stupid fucking miserable cunt. Seriously, nobody gives a fuck if you love or hate Trump. I'll be watching football, drinking beer, and catching up with people I don't get to see often enough. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

If you insist on blathering about your political views with family over the holidays, you're a stupid fucking miserable cunt. Seriously, nobody gives a fuck if you love or hate Trump. I'll be watching football, drinking beer, and catching up with people I don't get to see often enough. 

We're supposed to have wind, freezing rain and just shitty weather tomorrow.  Should have a sign, "If you want to talk politics, we have a seat for you outside on the porch."

I don't want to piss off the dogs though either, when they gotta go take a leak.

I will have Spongebob or Hallmark channel if football's not on.  No fucking news channels. Period.

20 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Used to feel that way but my mom wouldn't hesitate to give away all my rights should they request them and they do a little all the time.  Right now, they're just focused squarely on Hispanics.  Guess it's much easier to take somebody elses once you've sold your soul. 

SOME mashed potatoes in a diet is like rocking out on the commute when Steppenwolf sings "Born to Be Wild."
ONLY mashed potatoes in a diet is like buying an actual Steppenwolf album, and listening to it over and over again.

I ate Shepherds Pie with a former touring member of Steppenwolf one time so this hits close to home (and doing that once is enough btw).
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Along these same lines, there is no one in my family or my wife's family I'd even want to discuss politics with only 2-3 exceptions.  The rest are rural rubes.  

We can appreciate Thanksgiving more if we remember that half the attendees were religious fanatics and political outcasts who had almost all starved to death because Dad wouldn't ask directions to Virginia. The rest were plague survivors who had lost their old job (owners of all the land) and who would increasingly turn to drink to numb their pain.

Your family is probably not more fucked up than that crew.

• Like 4

Sister isn't coming. She and her son-in-law got into an FB blowup about him posting some lame liberal meme about the impeachment witnesses and she called to tell me to disinvite him. I told her I don't do that, so she gave me a "him or me" ultimatum knowing I don't do those either, so unless I can convince her when I call her later today (give her some cool down time) then she's probably not going to have another chance to see her grandkids until next Thanksgiving.

I'm a prick, as you all know, but it breaks my heart that she's doing this to herself and her family. They live about 30 minutes apart. Her daughter bought that house anticipating lots of grandma/grandkids time.

Edited by bad_teammate

31 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Sister isn't coming. She and her son-in-law got into an FB blowup

I have two family members who used to do this. It was a parody of bad FB behavior, constant friendings/unfriendings because somebody didn't reply fast enough to some "prove you love me" post. Social media to those two was like giving rum to a diabetic.

• Haha 1

Try spending the Thanksgiving weekend in Tomball, Texas with your aggy girlfriend's very aggy family after seeing our team lose to the sheep fuckers in Kyle.

Being called t-sip all day while hearing a bunch of assholes talk about R.C. Slocum will prepare you for any Thanksgiving adversity.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Chrispy_ said:

I'd be hard pressed not to beat your ass to a pulp if I had to spend thanksgiving with you.  It's a good bet your family isn't apolitical, but just doesn't want to engage your dumbass in any way, shape, or form.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Chrispy_ said:

Back for more eh?

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I'd be hard pressed not to beat your ass to a pulp if I had to spend thanksgiving with you.  It's a good bet your family isn't apolitical, but just doesn't want to engage your dumbass in any way, shape, or form.  

Those that speak of beating ass, rarely do. Besides, that’s against your Hippocratic Oath. 

• Fuck You 1