Primary Debate # 5 - November 20th, Atlanta

Hank Kingsley

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Bernie and Joe have the two most obvious pathways to beating Trump electorally.

Warren's isn't as clear

Pete's ... eh ...

Joe CAME OUT OF the black community.  He's practically black.  Much more blacker than Kamala or the vegan dating a Hollywood star.  Find me another black vegan, I dare you! 

Catching up as I didn't watch live last night -

Holy hell Joe, wtf. "I SAID FIRST!" no you didn't, you said "only."  Booker was right, you might have been high. Clearly Joe's brain stopped working after 2016, before Harris became a Senator. 

I still can't figure out why Booker is polling so low.  It's puzzling.  Klob's push is coming far too late; where the hell has this Amy been for the past 6 months?

Literally didn't need Steyer or Gabbard on stage last night. #JusticeforJulian  

I'm glad Harris said what I've been saying - stop taking black voters, especially black women, for granted and assuming they'll just show up and vote for Democrats.  The most loyal constituency of the party deserves better than Corn Pop and stock photos from Kenya.  

Edited by Js1

17 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Bernie and Joe have the two most obvious pathways to beating Trump electorally.

Warren's isn't as clear

Pete's ... eh ...

This analysis has a defining variable that needs to be acknowledged: name recognition 

People know who Joe and Bernie are so it’s easier to forecast the electorate’s response to their candidacy.  It should also be noted both have unsuccessfully run for President before which has a lot to do with the name recognition that gives them the illusion of an advantage over a stronger candidate not enough people know yet.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This analysis has a defining variable that needs to be acknowledged: name recognition 

People know who Joe and Bernie are so it’s easier to forecast the electorate’s response to their candidacy.  It should also be noted both have unsuccessfully run for President before which has a lot to do with the name recognition that gives them the illusion of an advantage over a stronger candidate not enough people know yet.

That might be so, but name recognition won't magically jump to 100% and, even more importantly, a deeper understanding beyond simply recognizing the name won't magically jump to 100%.

Political and ethical quality of candidates aside...

Joe and Bernie are almost-fully-known quantities and can build winning coalitions

Warren is a well-known quantity and can build winning coalitions

Pete is a much-lesser-known quantity and might not actually be able to build winning coalitions

43 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The demographics for this stuff makes it seem pointless for Bernie to even show up.

Because no one cares after how many we've had and nothing substantive gets talked about. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

That might be so, but name recognition won't magically jump to 100% and, even more importantly, a deeper understanding beyond simply recognizing the name won't magically jump to 100%.

Political and ethical quality of candidates aside...

Joe and Bernie are almost-fully-known quantities and can build winning coalitions

Warren is a well-known quantity and can build winning coalitions

Pete is a much-lesser-known quantity and might not actually be able to build winning coalitions

The eventual nominee will have the full throttled support of Obama and every other major D candidate(besides Tulsi) for the General Election. They will campaign for her/him as well. The party will come together and get everyone on board. 

17 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

First one I missed.   Doesn't sound like I missed much.

I think Booker got enough new contributions to make the Dec. debate, so that's good.

The story of the debate is no one felt like punching down at Pete who is a “surging front runner” in Iowa/NH.   

A few candidates like Tulsi punched up at Pete with some weak attacks but didn’t do any damage.

Not many opportunities for the candidates to attack each other in this format either without sacrificing precious time to make the case for their own candidacy. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

I don't think Bernie/Biden/Warren want to legitimize Pete as a national candidate by punching down.  Easier to treat him like Santorum, Huckabee, Cruz or 2016 Bernie who totally appealed to a white bread Iowa and New Hampshire electorate but had little appeal in big, diverse states that decide the primary. 

I know b_t is going to get me for that, but you know what

Image result for i said what i said gif

• Like 1

You are going to get joe and you are going to like it. 

If Sanders were to drop out, I think Warren gets most of his voters and vice versa. Who does Joe pick up votes from? Does anyone here have him as their second favorite?

5 minutes ago, Tuco said:

If Sanders were to drop out, I think Warren gets most of his voters and vice versa. Who does Joe pick up votes from? Does anyone here have him as their second favorite?

I was counting on Joe dropping out, and then the other "moderates" taking enough of his votes such that one of them is able to challenge Warren/Sanders.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I don't think Bernie/Biden/Warren want to legitimize Pete as a national candidate by punching down.

Negative attacks hurt the person they're aimed at, but they also hurt the person making them. Fighting someone who is underneath you is stupid, generally. Like Harris and Pete fighting with Gabbard.

Now if you think you can land a clean kill shot, then it's tempting, but Gabbard isn't a punk and she'll claw your god damned eyes out and everyone who tangles with her is stupid for thinking they're tougher than her. They ain't. She's cult crazy and you don't win against cult crazy.

If a candidate's path is entirely dependent on success in Iowa and NH, as Harris's is, they need to attack Pete hard.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I feel like everyone is sleeping on Sanders and how Tulsi/Yang voters are likely Bernie voters too. 

Hush your mouth it's not Bernie's time to peak yet.