When Trump is impeached, then what thread

zork

Let's pretend that we've gotten to the point where both the President and VP are leaving either through their own assent, or by force of Congress.

The Constitution only specifies that the Vice President accedes to the Presidency when the President can't go anymore. The rest of the line of succession is designated by an act of Congress.

I personally propose that, especially at this stage, changing the political party of the Executive through impeachment and removal would be unhealthy for America. I would suggest Speaker Pelosi contact Mitch McConnell and see who he'd accept as the Chief Executive. Really, another act of Congress tailored to this current, ugly situation could pass both Houses and be veto-proof. It could shore up (read: create) support for conviction in the Senate and hopefully put the writing on the wall. Teaching the current "leadership" to read notwithstanding.

1) (obviously you mean impeach and convicted, but let's not get hung up on nits)

2) this is fantasy, i won't dignify it with a response.

giphy.gif

3) it would never be president pelosi in any event.  with an R senate, engineering a Pence resignation first, confirming new VP that only needs to support of 30 Ds in the house, then Trump resigns would be as easy as cake. 

4 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Let's pretend that we've gotten to the point where both the President and VP are leaving either through their own assent, or by force of Congress.

The Constitution only specifies that the Vice President accedes to the Presidency when the President can't go anymore. The rest of the line of succession is designated by an act of Congress.

I personally propose that, especially at this stage, changing the political party of the Executive through impeachment and removal would be unhealthy for America. I would suggest Speaker Pelosi contact Mitch McConnell and see who he'd accept as the Chief Executive. Really, another act of Congress tailored to this current, ugly situation could pass both Houses and be veto-proof. It could shore up (read: create) support for conviction in the Senate and hopefully put the writing on the wall. Teaching the current "leadership" to read notwithstanding.

This.  To the extent that there is anything to the Nikki Haley rumors, I think it's this.  She wants to replace Pence now, so that if Trump and/or Pence is impeached she would become president.

19 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm leaning toward resignation by both Trump and Pence with the hope of a pardon from President Pelosi. I know I've read dozens of "that'll never happen." well, the same was said about impeachment. no closet Nostradamus among this group.

Depends on timing.  Pence could resign, Haley is appointed VP, Trump resigned.  President Haley.

Trump resigns, Pence is President, appoints Mother, resigns.  President Mother. 

The president line of succession is really only serious for President -> VP.  It would be a catastrophic level event to ever have to move to #3. 

Never in the history of the United States has both the office of VP or President been vacant at the same time.  The only time we've ever come closest is when Andrew Johnson was impeached and acquitted by a one vote margin, as Johnson never picked a VP after Lincoln died. It would have been Benjamin Franklin Wade as President. 

Edited by Js1

8 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Dems won't pursue anything against Pence and Barr's DOJ sure as shit won't indict him for anything.

7 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

1) (obviously you mean impeach and convicted, but let's not get hung up on nits)

2) this is fantasy, i won't dignify it with a response.

giphy.gif

3) it would never be president pelosi in any event.  with an R senate, engineering a Pence resignation first, confirming new VP that only needs to support of 30 Ds in the house, then Trump resigns would be as easy as cake. 

All of this is correct.

Never would there be a scenario in which Pelosi ascends to the presidency with a Republican White House and Senate. 

10 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

I personally propose that, especially at this stage, changing the political party of the Executive through impeachment and removal would be unhealthy for America.

I agree.  If changing the party of the Exec branch were to occur via impeachment and removal, we'll be in for a shit show of epic proportions the next time we have a Dem pres and both chambers of the legislative branch are controlled by Reps.

I think he resigns for health reasons, he dogwhistles to his base that it's because the witch hunt/illegal impeachment hearing has taken a toll on him because he cares so deeply for the American people and now he can't help them because of this awful distraction.  Many of you expressed worry about how his base would react to a removal from office and/or a loss in 2020 general.  What we have not explored is how he can blame his declining health on this political/legal process.  

You thought we might fracture this nation after impeachment, after removal, after electoral defeat?  Way until you see what his base does when they think the rest of you had a direct hand in him dying.  Funny thing about presidential deaths while in office, they've always brought the country together.  Not this one.  This is how the whole thing unravels, the rest of your scenarios are child's play.  

14 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

So the President Line of Succession Act, that has been in place for 72 years, should be ignored or changed because Nancy Pelosi becoming President through legitimate means, i.e., no coup or assassinations, would upset America?

Donald Trump is unhealthy for America.  Fuck changing shit.  Next time, don't do impeachable things and possibly get yourself removed. 

The act was put in place for a reason (3 times, mind you, without worrying about what party the Speaker might be).  PS, it was passed by a Republican Congress and signed by a Democratic President in 1947. 

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

All of this is correct.

Never would there be a scenario in which Pelosi ascends to the presidency with a Republican White House and Senate. 

But it's a wet dream for some on the R side - Fox News, Rush, would be able to charge a shit-ton for advertising as their ratings shot through the roof, and Republican politicians would be able to fund-raise like nobody's business.

1 minute ago, sachick said:

Impeached but not removed. In November 2020, democrats control the house, senate and the goddamn Presidency. Hopefully lots of women involved so we can clean up the damn mess.

Jan 2021 you mean. 

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So the President Line of Succession Act, that has been in place for 72 years, should be ignored or changed because Nancy Pelosi becoming President through legitimate means, i.e., no coup or assassinations, would upset America?

Donald Trump is unhealthy for America.  Fuck changing shit.  Next time, don't do impeachable things and possibly get yourself removed. 

The act was put in place for a reason (3 times, mind you, without worrying about what party the Speaker might be).  PS, it was passed by a Republican Congress and signed by a Democratic President in 1947. 

Well, we are where we are because an tan suit wearing secret Muslim Kenyan became president through legitimate means, so I wouldn't be all that surprised if the same folks who responded by being OK with Putin's involvement in 2016 might be willing to overlook a little thing like Constitutional Succession.

4 minutes ago, sachick said:

Impeached but not removed. In November 2020, democrats control the house, senate and the goddamn Presidency. Hopefully lots of women involved so we can clean up the damn mess.

If Mitch McConnell truly believes his majority is in jeopardy, Republican senators will make a trip to the White House to discuss Donald Trump's future in office.

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You're right, of course, but if we stick solely to what we're entitled to do, then 53 Republican senators are allowed to vote for acquittal and put out public statements about how they can see right through the Dem's pathetic deep state.

Just because I'm newer to the politix board, I'll note that I swing very left of center. Watching the Republican Party burn on its own pyre would be delightful.

The pragmatist and American in me says that this course doesn't end well. I need a healthy, functional adversary to balance the system. I'm offering the Republicans a way to cut off their cancerous limb and claim the whole thing was a horrible disease. I want to believe that, down that path, lies constructive governing.

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That’s a middle class sammich you elitist scum

Further evidence of the erosion of the middle class in this country.  That is a straight up poverty sandwich. Middle class values include slathering a little butter and toasting that bitch. 

• Like 1

If I had to wager...

He'll definitely be impeached.

The Senate will not remove him from office.

And he will win re-election because A) Pelosi et al were right all along that impeachment without removal gives him a "witch hunt" narrative he can actually sell, and B) the Dems push too hard for the progressive agenda, and the 1-2 punch of A and B loses the middle.

I really hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Further evidence of the erosion of the middle class in this country.  That is a straight up poverty sandwich. Middle class values include slathering a little butter and toasting that bitch. 

49 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Yeah, that sammich is poor as fuck.

Poor is bologna and mayo

impoverished is lard and gubmint cheeze.