Parents of Successful Children do this...

Iceman

4 minutes ago, Iceman said:

No it isn't.  Over 40% of the poor are white.

You said we could tell just by looking/ they're all brown.  What you said is patently false.

No what I said was the following "Well color goes hand in hand with socio economic reality often, so there's that".  

A higher % of black people are living at the poverty level than the % of white people in this country. How do you not understand that comment ?  There are more white people as a total number of our population so of course there will be more white people who could be below the poverty level, however within the population of each race the higher % of poverty is within the black community.  

THAT is pretty much what my comment states.

I’m an assistant principal at an elementary school so I have a decent sample size. The kids that I would consider most successful (all around, not just academics) are the ones that learn to self advocate at a young age. It is a learned skill for most and needs to be taught at home and school. They turn into problem solvers, get what they need socially/academically, and are very respected by teachers and peers. Im most impressed when I see a parent and child working collaboratively with a teacher to solve a problem - but the parent is promoting the child to do a lot of the thinking and talking. Those kids eventually are able to do it on their own by upper elementary. This is absolutely critical because it’s a middle school survival skill.

These parents are also good at backing off and letting their kids experience a full range of emotions and teach them how to deal with them in a healthy way. They have a good grasp of when to back off and let their child struggle or fail in a safe environment.

The worst parents aren’t helicopter parents, they are mostly just annoying. The worst of the worst are steamroller parents. They go ahead of their kids and clear a path so that their child will never even face a minor bump. They will roll over anybody or anything that gets in their way with a vengeance. Most of these don’t work because it’s a full time job. At this point I believe it’s almost a codependency mental illness issue because they know it will force their child to be reliant on them for a long, long time. A code phrase to listen for is “I just can’t bear to watch my child hurt/struggle/be disappointed”.

• Like 5

On 11/21/2019 at 12:29 PM, Johnny Sack said:

That harms them. Makes it too easy and they aren't challenged as young kids.  My son is the youngest in his grade.  When he was in kindergarten there were kids who fucking turned 7 in February whereas he did not turn 6 until months later.  That's bullshit.

I've heard Kincaid forces incoming kinder/preschool kids to redshirt depending on what time of the year their birthday falls. 

11 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No what I said was the following "Well color goes hand in hand with socio economic reality often, so there's that".  

Often?  Pretty much all them coloreds are poor, right?

You can try to reshape it or whatever, but the inference to be drawn from it is that if you see a non-white, they is on hard times.  Whites don't face poverty.  It's pure bullshit.  Over 40% of the people living in poverty are white, and that is higher than any other  race.

Edited by Iceman

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

You can try to reshape it or whatever, but the inference to be drawn from it is that if you see a non-white, they is on hard times.  Whites don't face poverty.  It's pure bullshit.

Sure pal, believe whatever bullshit you want to. I don't have to re shape a damn thing I said. You however have gone to great lengths to do just that thru sheer ignorance. 

The fact is in this country, historically, black people, and minorities have had a higher % of living at or below the poverty level than white people. Your lack of a grasp of the concept of %'s is stupefying. How you can't even comprehend this fact is bizarre. Go hump somebody elses leg.  

11 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A higher % of black people are living at the poverty level than the % of white people in this country. How do you not understand that comment ?  There are more white people as a total number of our population so of course there will be more white people who could be below the poverty level, however within the population of each race the higher % of poverty is within the black community.  

I already said it upthread: statistics is racist.

The "absolute best learning environment" is likely pretty subjective. There is a wide range between the poorest performing schools and the top rated ones (both private and public) Stretching financially to get into some private school is probably not the best thing you can do for your kids. Being financially smart and stable so that your kids have the ability to take a risk might be.

This, you really can’t just compare private vs public schools across the country, it’s all dependent on locations. In our area, is Kinkaid, Strake, or Episcopal, worth the the extra 25-30k a year over Memorial or Stratford? If money is no object, possibly, but what if you have 2/3 kids and are more in upper middle America, compared to the Surly 1% ... you start adding up the private school tuition over 13 or so years for 2 kids 50k a year and always increasing, that # is getting up there. You could take 1/2 or more of that 50k a year and put in into a mortgage in a top public district, & put aside $ for college & still come out ahead financially & your kid is still gettin a good education.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Sure pal, believe whatever bullshit you want to. I don't have to re shape a damn thing I said. You however have gone to great lengths to do just that thru sheer ignorance. 

The fact is in this country, historically, black people, and minorities have had a higher % of living at or below the poverty level than white people. Your lack of a grasp of the concept of %'s is stupefying. How you can't even comprehend this fact is bizarre. Go hump somebody elses leg.  

"Over 40% of the people in poverty are white"  and you accuse me of ignoring percentages.

Your allegations on multiple levels are patently false.  You can tell by lookin...

The private school/ public school discussion is one of my favorite for the different values people apply to a given school, as if JUST getting into that school is going to make your child achieve things.  Sure environment and expectations influence the outcome, but the first question is whether that occurs more at home or in the school.

I feel that bullet point number one has nothing to do with how much the school costs; but rather what kind of environment the kid calls home.  What are the social norms in the neighborhood, as in, how often do they witness crime/ arrests/ violence? When they go their friends' houses, what are they going to see at in family level behavior? When they go to school, public or private, what is the peer pressure/ expectations towards achievement?  Finally, and this is where publics have raised their game tremendously; what are the opportunities/ resources available at school for high achievers, beyond the base curriculum?

Edited by Iceman

51 minutes ago, Iceman said:

"Over 40% of the people in poverty are white"  and you accuse me of ignoring percentages.

Your allegations on multiple levels are patently false.  You can tell by lookin...

Holy fuck is there a huge gaping hole in the top of your skull ? You have no idea what you're even typing.

12 hours ago, Iceman said:

You can try to reshape it or whatever, but the inference to be drawn from it is that if you see a non-white, they is on hard times.  Whites don't face poverty.  It's pure bullshit.  Over 40% of the people living in poverty are white, and that is higher than any other  race.

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, Iceman said:

Just coming back to this post as it's the dumbest mother fucking point I've read all week.  Kudos sir, kudos.

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Just coming back to this post as it's the dumbest mother fucking point I've read all week.  Kudos sir, kudos.

Yes, yours was.  Thanks for the reminder...and admission.

"You can tell by lookin..."

Edited by Iceman

6 hours ago, Continental Op said:

So does Slorch really not understand the concept of normalization or is he just being willfully stupid?

I understand 'normalization, but that is not what was stated.  It was a bullshit racist remark hidden in an enigma, covered in a conundrum.  It enables the scorekeepers to feel they're helpin the downtrodden who just can't help themselves. It removes responsibility from life's choices, and feeds the concepts of victimology.

"When i see nonwhites, I know they is poor..."

Edited by Iceman

On 11/21/2019 at 11:36 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Biggest thing:  DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS GO TO PRIVATE HIGH SCHOOLS (Hell yes I'm yelling).  

I garndamntee you wouldn't say this if the public schools in your state were ranked in the high 40's consistently, aka the shithole to your right.  Also, I can choose a better fucking neighborhood and no one gets to decide for me where my kids goes.

I'm in for everything except 7 and 9

1 minute ago, mulletpelini said:

I garndamntee you wouldn't say this if the public schools in your state were ranked in the high 40's consistently, aka the shithole to your right.  Also, I can choose a better fucking neighborhood and no one gets to decide for me where my kids goes.

I'm in for everything except 7 and 9

I'm guessing you went to one of those since you couldn't understand my post which said don't let them go there unless you don't have another alternative