Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

1 minute ago, Okie State said:

The person in charge of the emergency signs on the highways in Houston who decided to post 'A storm is forming in the Gulf. Be prepared. Fill up your car with gas'.

Yeah let's start another gas panic. Thanks asshole.

They must own gas stocks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Should probably go in the getting old sucks thread, but ear hairs.  Not inside the ear, but I get this one that grows on the top, only it’s not like an actual hair, it’s more like 30lb monofilament line.  I can feel it up there but if I yank it out it’ll bleed.  Guess I should just tie a snap swivel on it.  

I’m not even “old” and I get them every so often. Usually just swipe along the ear with the razor when doing my face. Pisses me off though, it’s gross 

People at work that print shit and then leave it on the printer all day. Every time I get my papers from the printer (immediately after clicking "print" BTW) there's always recipes or emails in the stack. I don't give a damn if you print personal stuff, just go pick it up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Okie State said:

The person in charge of the emergency signs on the highways in Houston who decided to post 'A storm is forming in the Gulf. Be prepared. Fill up your car with gas'.

Yeah let's start another gas panic. Thanks asshole.

The only people who panic are those who have lived there less than a year/ post-Harvey.

Fuck hurricanes though.  Sooooo glad to be done with that horseshit.

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

I’m not even “old” and I get them every so often. Usually just swipe along the ear with the razor when doing my face. Pisses me off though, it’s gross 

the trimmer blade is perfect for backhanding those PITA ear hairs.

gillette%20fusion%20proglide%205%20blade

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

People who print emails are either very old or very stupid. Fuck them.

What if the 'lectric goes out?

See?  Did ya ever think of that?

LMAO.  I can just hear it in the copy room...

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I have a coworker that prints shit out excessively.  Always double-sided to save paper!!!  

We all have one. Sometimes our graphics debt will print a large file which takes a few minutes to spool. She'll hit print 106 times and walk back and forth to the copier cussing that it's not printing. Guess what happens when the file finishes spooling?

12 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Should probably go in the getting old sucks thread, but ear hairs.  Not inside the ear, but I get this one that grows on the top, only it’s not like an actual hair, it’s more like 30lb monofilament line.  I can feel it up there but if I yank it out it’ll bleed.  Guess I should just tie a snap swivel on it.  

Nose, in ear, on ear, but not a one on the top of my head.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

People who print emails are either very old or very stupid. Fuck them.

This.  As late as 2004 or so one of my former law partners would have his secretary print an email and give him the hard copy, and then he would hand write the reply and give it back to his secretary, and then she would actually send the reply using his email.  Probably took an hour or so to reply to one simple email.  He thought it was beneath a lawyer to actually type on a computer.

Edited by HouTex

I get that people are busy, and there's a lot of running between meetings and calls, and it can be challenging to carve out time for biological needs.

But for fuck's sake, people, we're adults. Don't fucking eat while you're on a fucking phone call, especially when you're fucking talking. I mean holy shit. Chomp chomp chew chew slurp. 

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

This.  As late as 2004 or so one of my former law partners would have his secretary print an email and give him the hard copy, and then he would hand write the reply and give it back to his secretary, and then she would actually send the reply using his email.  Probably took an hour or so to reply to one simple email.  He thought it was beneath a lawyer to actually type on a computer.

This was my father, except for the fact that he would use his dictaphone to record his replies.

If he saw something on the Internet that he wanted to share with someone, he would print it out, have his secretary scan it, email it to him, and then he would forward you the PDF.

It took years to convince him that there was an easier way. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

This was my father, except for the fact that he would use his dictaphone to record his replies.

If he saw something on the Internet that he wanted to share with someone, he would print it out, have his secretary scan it, email it to him, and then he would forward you the PDF.

Not sure how old your father is, but my former law partner would now be only 57 or 58.  He was in his 20's when PCs became widespread and in his mid to late 30's when email became widespread.  He was just stubborn.  He refused to have a computer in his office until the firm made him get one.  Then he never turned it on.  He thought he was being cool and I thought he was an idiot.

My dad would be 75 in a couple of months.

He was a surprisingly good typist (I had no idea he could type at all until he gave me shit for my middling typing scores/grades in middle school, when I foolishly challenged him to beat my score, which he did, handily, and with the added "fuck you" of voluntarily covering his hands and keyboard while doing so...) but just didn't want to take the time to learn how to use an email program or a word processor. 

6 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I work with a couple of people who constantly were printing shit out and scanning it to pdf.  I politely showed them they could print to pdf directly.  One of them still forgets and scans stuff.  Geezus.  

9 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

i still haven't convinced the boss there's a better way

12 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I get that people are busy, and there's a lot of running between meetings and calls, and it can be challenging to carve out time for biological needs.

But for fuck's sake, people, we're adults. Don't fucking eat while you're on a fucking phone call, especially when you're fucking talking. I mean holy shit. Chomp chomp chew chew slurp. 

sports talk hosts are constantly eating during their shows.  wtf guys, you're on air for 4 hours, can you not eat during that span?

3 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I work with a couple of people who constantly were printing shit out and scanning it to pdf.  I politely showed them they could print to pdf directly.  One of them still forgets and scans stuff.  Geezus.  

The easier way I was referring to was simply copying and forwarding the URL - I would never have attempted to explain printing to a PDF to my dad. 

That's next, next, next level shit from where he maxxed out his technological give-a-shit meter. 

He passed away about two years ago, and he was still using Ask Jeeves right up until the end. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I'm forced to print shit and scan it to myself sometimes because there are webpages out there that do NOT print to .pdf. I don't know shit about webpages or why they won't print right but they don't. Hell, some won't even print correctly on a printer, they have to be shrunk to like 60% so that it all fits on one page and THEN it has to be scanned. FML.

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I'm forced to print shit and scan it to myself sometimes because there are webpages out there that do NOT print to .pdf. I don't know shit about webpages or why they won't print right but they don't. Hell, some won't even print correctly on a printer, they have to be shrunk to like 60% so that it all fits on one page and THEN it has to be scanned. FML.

if you're in chrome, and you hit print, and you select 'save as pdf,' it doesn't work?   or it's not there? i've always gotten exactly the same output.  can you post one of the pages that won't save to pdf?

13 minutes ago, elfenix said:

if you're in chrome, and you hit print, and you select 'save as pdf,' it doesn't work?   or it's not there? i've always gotten exactly the same output.  can you post one of the pages that won't save to pdf?

Using IE at work, never tried it in Chrome. I'll report back.

EDIT: Yep, that worked. I'll have to remember that. Don't need it often but yeah, that'll save a PITA print/scan job a few times a week.

Edited by El Diablo

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Using IE at work, never tried it in Chrome. I'll report back.

EDIT: Yep, that worked. I'll have to remember that. Don't need it often but yeah, that'll save a PITA print/scan job a few times a week.

Also, if a website doesn't let you print a page, can't you just use the snipping tool, and save the image? Granted it's a picture of what you want, but it should work.

2 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

Also, if a website doesn't let you print a page, can't you just use the snipping tool, and save the image? Granted it's a picture of what you want, but it should work.

Yes, but that's such a pain too. For what I do it really needs to be a .pdf eventually however it takes to get it there. Most people at work are on IE just because that's what has been on the computers there forever. We've got 600 users. Chrome is there of course, it's just nobody has really moved to it. At home I've only used Chrome for years but that's at home. 

On 7/11/2019 at 1:46 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Friends from TN are visiting from out of town.  Deal w/ wife was I go to IKEA, then we get bbq.  I've now been sitting in this GD, mothereffin place for almost 3 hours.  Ufufufugkgidudc!

Wait, your friends wanted to go to Ikea as part of their visit? 

Or your wife wanted you out of the house for three hours while your friends visited, so she could bang one (or both) of them. 

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Wait, your friends wanted to go to Ikea as part of their visit? 

Or your wife wanted you out of the house for three hours while your friends visited, so she could bang one (or both) of them. 

Wife was with them. They don't have an IKEA anywhere near them in TN.  It was brutal, but the bbq was worth the wait.

I'm sure this has been mentioned multiple times by now, but people who talk on their cell phones in public restrooms.  You're not guiding a resident through an emergency surgery or anything else that couldn't have waited 90 seconds.

It also annoys me when I don't have a massive fart to rip at that moment and I have to settle for flushing the toilet several times in a row so the person on the other end knows what a low class degenerate their friend/boyfriend is.

I hope you drop your phone in the urinal.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm sure this has been mentioned multiple times by now, but people who talk on their cell phones in public restrooms.  You're not guiding a resident through an emergency surgery or anything else that couldn't have waited 90 seconds.

It also annoys me when I don't have a massive fart to rip at that moment and I have to settle for flushing the toilet several times in a row so the person on the other end knows what a low class degenerate their friend/boyfriend is.

I hope you drop your phone in the urinal.

This every time.