Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'm usually a fairly patient person, but when I go to the grocery store, I have a list and I am there to get the items and get out. If my husband is with me, sometimes I go an aisle ahead and bring items back to the cart to make it go faster. So why the family of I dunno, five, six, seven? along with the main cart plus the kiddy cart feels the need to stretch out along the fresh fish display so that no one else waiting can see anything gets me surly. I have children, so I understand the need to keep children occupied and entertained, but by the time you have more than one, up your crowd control game people.

Hey guys we're back to having chicks here

• Like 1

When it is the "big" meal planning trip, I try to be efficient. When the youngest one is out of the house and we are retired, then perhaps we will turn it into air conditioned entertainment but for now, I have other things I'd rather be doing than walking up and down the aisles looking for wing sauce.

On 7/19/2019 at 4:01 PM, Underdog said:

Plus, sometimes you see kids and poors scooping up all the souvenir cups to take home. 

that’s alway been amazing to me.  i mean, that seems about as safe for your health as shitting on a public toilet.  as in, why not just sign up for AIDS level not very safe.  

14 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Please think of the trees before printing this email

This.  Because everyone I know that has that on their email footer drives a Tahoe.  

On 7/20/2019 at 10:36 AM, elfenix said:

no idea how they confused a doritos taco for a chicken roll with mayo sauce last night, but they did.  that roll was fucking disgusting.

Taco Bell food seems better than it was a decade or so ago when it was shitty. But the few times I've gone there for food in the past year I'm like the only guy in the place, there are 9 employees in the kitchen but they still take forever just to slap together a few simple tacos.

1979 or 80', A Friday or Saturday night in HS. We're out partying, drinking, etc.  We decide we need some food.  We roll into a Taco Bell. I'd Never eaten there before.

We order, and the guy behind the counter starts ladling some brown, soupy shit into a soft tortilla. I ask what's that, he says that's the burrito you ordered.  I say no thanks, and walk out. I've never been back.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

that’s alway been amazing to me.  i mean, that seems about as safe for your health as shitting on a public toilet.  as in, why not just sign up for AIDS level not very safe.  

A good run through the dishwasher on hot and they're good to go.  Also, you can't get AIDS from a public toilet.  You get AIDS from San Francisco.  Certain parts give you Super-AIDS.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

People who say "Waterburger"

I said "Waterburger" a few times when visiting Texas and enjoying their burgers.  But I was 6.  Adults say it all the time.  But they probably say all kinds of dumb shit like, 

"Irregardless of where you want to eat today Karen, for all intensive purposes, you'll probably still pick Waterburger."  

54 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

any woman that insincerely self-deprecates herself as "an asshole" when what she means is "I'm an unpleasant bitch" but who would fucking flip her tits if she were referred to as such

In my house, the standard response to this kind of self-deprecation is, "That's not why you're an asshole."  I forget which one of us said it first, but it's become a running joke.

Edited by Pogo

When did Kroger turn into Ripoff City?  Everything I priced today was more expensive than HEB, and some even worse than Randalls.  I could understand if it was just HEB undercutting them, but a lot of the stuff has seen a sizeable price increase.  Those damn brownie squares that were $4 a couple of years ago are now $7.  To hell with that.  Not going to waste time going in there anymore, and it's not like they had anything special that you couldn't get anywhere else.  

We need a trustbuster to run for Prez.

56 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

This has got to be on here already but the cunts who go through the drive thru and order food for 8-10 people.

Best part is when they wait at the window and go through all the bags while god and country is lined up behind them. Get the fuck out of the way. I promise you can still go inside and get that apple pie they forgot to put in one of your 30 sacks. 

1 hour ago, Hanrahan said:

This has got to be on here already but the cunts who go through the drive thru and order food for 8-10 people.

It should not take you longer than 30-45 seconds to place a drive thru order or to complete an ATM transaction. Anything more than that, and I am wishing a century of pestilence upon your future generations.

• Like 1

Counterpoint: If you are ordering food for 2 or more, from anywhere not named Chick-Fil-A, there is an 80% that something, somewhere in your order is wrong. The lesson here really is that you shouldn't eat anywhere that has a drive-thru unless it's Chick-Fil-A.

*Edit to add sacrilege, I include Whataburger in that too. Always screwing up in the drive-thru. And another thing I've actively witnessed and think is super unfortunate, the quality of worker and customer service has gone to McDonald's level the last few years.

Edited by Rougarou

13 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

If I were you, I’d just go with unprotected oral sex with a toilet.  As long as it is consenting, and is an American Standard.  When you do a toilet, you go American.

...that was foul, I apologize.

I'm partial to those Toto toilets myself.  Sex, and a good cleaning up afterwards.

20 hours ago, pops said:

Best part is when they wait at the window and go through all the bags while god and country is lined up behind them. Get the fuck out of the way. I promise you can still go inside and get that apple pie they forgot to put in one of your 30 sacks. 

This reminds me that I get annoyed at people who take up one of the scarce non-gas pump spaces at convenience stores, and sit there for 30 minutes with their car running doing whatever.  Go park on a street somewhere and fuck off.

• Haha 1

I do most of the grocery shopping in our house, and usually end up going probably 4 times a week for quick trips on lunch break or way home in the evening. Thing I've noticed lately that make me surly:

There's almost always someone posted at each exit/entry door, trying to either get you to buy something, donate to their charity, or subscribe to their service. 

Head over to the beer and wine section and there will be a rep from every local brewery/distributor with unsolicited suggestions and samples. Spend more than one second deciding what you want and they'll be sure to tell you to grab some of whatever they are hawking.

And oh yeah, we don't stock the shelves at night anymore, just gonna go ahead and do that while the store is full of shoppers. Need to grab something off that shelf? Sorry, there's a pallet jack with 800 lbs of crap on it parked there.Throw in personal shoppers and half the traffic in the aisles is just store employees.

Finally, I'm more and more convinced that a fairly large portion, possibility even a majority of the citizenry, functions at the bare minimum level necessary to get through each day. Bewildered elderly wandering the aisles with no discernible goal. Morbidly obese mothers of 5+ filling their carts with pallets of ramen....etc.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

I do most of the grocery shopping in our house, and usually end up going probably 4 times a week for quick trips on lunch break or way home in the evening. Thing I've noticed lately that make me surly:

There's almost always someone posted at each exit/entry door, trying to either get you to buy something, donate to their charity, or subscribe to their service. 

Head over to the beer and wine section and there will be a rep from every local brewery/distributor with unsolicited suggestions and samples. Spend more than one second deciding what you want and they'll be sure to tell you to grab some of whatever they are hawking.

And oh yeah, we don't stock the shelves at night anymore, just gonna go ahead and do that while the store is full of shoppers. Need to grab something off that shelf? Sorry, there's a pallet jack with 800 lbs of crap on it parked there.Throw in personal shoppers and half the traffic in the aisles is just store employees.

Finally, I'm more and more convinced that a fairly large portion, possibility even a majority of the citizenry, functions at the bare minimum level necessary to get through each day. Bewildered elderly wandering the aisles with no discernible goal. Morbidly obese mothers of 5+ filling their carts with pallets of ramen....etc.

Ya could have saved a lot of words by just saying, I hate people.  I do feel yer pain though.

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

doesn't seem to be any set schedule for this either-- I have seen it at 8 AM on a Monday, I have seen it late afternoon on the weekend, etc. I would try to avoid it if I knew when the fuck it was going to be (happen)

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

This reminds me that I get annoyed at people who take up one of the scarce non-gas pump spaces at convenience stores, and sit there for 30 minutes with their car running doing whatever.  Go park on a street somewhere and fuck off.

The opposite has happened to me so fucking many times at the Czech Stop.  People get gas and leave their car blocking the pump for the next 20 minutes while they're inside.  No more thinking I can kill 2 birds.  I won't leave home without a full tank anymore.

36 minutes ago, Pogo said:

The opposite has happened to me so fucking many times at the Czech Stop.  People get gas and leave their car blocking the pump for the next 20 minutes while they're inside.  No more thinking I can kill 2 birds.  I won't leave home without a full tank anymore.

Yeah, that ties in.  See, I'll get gas, and then if I need to go into the store, I'll move away from the pumps and park in a regular spot.  Except there aren't any, because Joe blow is sitting there browsing on his phone, scratching off lotto tickets, taking a nap or whatever the fuck it is he's doing.  Stop impeding commerce!!

My first pharmacy job was at a grocery store. One time during football season I was working a Sunday and saw a woman who pissed herself walking around the entire store leaving yellow puddles everywhere, a kid pulled down his pants and shit all over the floor, a guy in a motorized scooter ran over the shit and dragged it across the entire store, some teenagers were tossing wine bottles back and forth to each other over the aisles, and Terry Glenn came over to the pharmacy and took some pictures with me and my techs. The only reason I remember that is because he died later that night in a rollover accident.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Counterpoint: If you are ordering food for 2 or more, from anywhere not named Chick-Fil-A, there is an 80% that something, somewhere in your order is wrong. The lesson here really is that you shouldn't eat anywhere that has a drive-thru unless it's Chick-Fil-A.

*Edit to add sacrilege, I include Whataburger in that too. Always screwing up in the drive-thru. And another thing I've actively witnessed and think is super unfortunate, the quality of worker and customer service has gone to McDonald's level the last few years.

Well they all make minimum wage, which is terribly low. The store "manager" might get a few bucks extra per hour. Not sure why you'd expect much better service. The key is don't be picky. I never ask for anything special, except maybe extra pickles on my Sonic burger, but if they forget, no big deal. I will usually check to see if an item is missing, and if it is, I'll walk in and get them to fix it. I don't berate anyone because I don't expect anyone competent is willing to work for those wages and I imagine most of their lives suck anyway and either don't care if I'm upset or my anger will be a minimal factor in their misery. It is what it is. Alternatively, you can just not eat fast food. I rarely do but when I do I know what to expect and just grin and bear it.

Edited by 'stache

33 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

My first pharmacy job was at a grocery store. One time during football season I was working a Sunday and saw a woman who pissed herself walking around the entire store leaving yellow puddles everywhere, a kid pulled down his pants and shit all over the floor, a guy in a motorized scooter ran over the shit and dragged it across the entire store, some teenagers were tossing wine bottles back and forth to each other over the aisles, and Terry Glenn came over to the pharmacy and took some pictures with me and my techs. The only reason I remember that is because he died later that night in a rollover accident.

Well that was an action packed day at the office.

46 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Well they all make minimum wage, which is terribly low. The store "manager" might get a few bucks extra per hour. Not sure why you'd expect much better service. The key is don't be picky. I never ask for anything special, except maybe extra pickles on my Sonic burger, but if they forget, no big deal. I will usually check to see if an item is missing, and if it is, I'll walk in and get them to fix it. I don't berate anyone because I don't expect anyone competent is willing to work for those wages and I imagine most of their lives suck anyway and either don't care if I'm upset or my anger will be a minimal factor in their misery. It is what it is. Alternatively, you can just not eat fast food. I rarely do but when I do I know what to expect and just grin and bear it.

Agree with you 100%, especially your penultimate sentence. Which is why a lesson I've learned in life is Don't eat anywhere with a Drive-thru unless it's Chick-Fil-A.

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

You were safe behind a counter while all of this was happening, right? No need to be surly, just enjoy the (literal) shit show!

ETA: Terry Glenn is dead? Shit.

Edited by El Diablo