Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Fair point about the kids and the dogs.  The whole swatch of behavior baffles me.  Big 8 years old just run up behind the dog and try to jump on and the dog just takes it and the parents do nothing.  On the flipside, my 4 year is on my hip and some dog is just running wild in our neighborhood park and just starts running up to her and gets aggressive because his owner, who is 30 yards away shouting, "Oh man, he loves kids!"  When I wanted my dog off the leash to run truly free...I took him to a preserve or a dog park.  Public parks---dog is on a leash.  Maybe if you're there at the crack of dawn or 9pm...you can let 'em run free if nobody is around. 

But yeah, way too many parents spend too much time training their kids about avoiding the dangerous Mexican in the van who is gonna steal children.  When they can spend that time teaching appropriate ways to engage animals, particularly dogs.  

cheap silverware.  im kind of a snob about it.  if you serve me with shit silverware, your restaurant/house is shit.

also, the actual term itself.  silverware should be for silver.  cutlery should be for knives.  flatware is better reserved for flat items (i.e. bowls).  everyone should agree on simply calling them utensils

49 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

cheap silverware.  im kind of a snob about it.  if you serve me with shit silverware, your restaurant/house is shit.

also, the actual term itself.  silverware should be for silver.  cutlery should be for knives.  flatware is better reserved for flat items (i.e. bowls).  everyone should agree on simply calling them utensils

Bowls are flat ?  You mean like the Earth ?

There’s a direction correlation between how much “nice” silver and china and flatware and cutlery is on display in a home; usually wedding gifts in a showcase cabinet or furniture piece........and how shitty the actual knife/fork/plate/cup they give you to eat with is gonna be.  

Youd be a blast to hang with at dinner parties.
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Youd be a blast to hang with at dinner parties.

so long as you serve the good stuff

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

totally right about cheap shit feeling cheap.  i need some new utensils (old ones have slowly disappeared over the years).  i want a nicely weighted knife, spoon, and fork.  the shit over at ikea (which is fine for plates or whatever) just feels cheap.  too lightweight. 

maybe someone's wife could be useful and tell me what set i should buy.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

totally right about cheap shit feeling cheap.  i need some new utensils (old ones have slowly disappeared over the years).  i want a nicely weighted knife, spoon, and fork.  the shit over at ikea (which is fine for plates or whatever) just feels cheap.  too lightweight. 

maybe someone's wife could be useful and tell me what set i should buy.

We have the Gorham stainless steel from our wedding 30 years ago. It has been quite serviceable and sturdy. I don't know if it is still made as well as we've never had to buy any replacements. We (ok, I) chose a fairly plain pattern with just a slight inset around the handle. Our flatware is used every day and still going strong. Both my parents and my in-laws gave us some very good advice when we became engaged and I've tried to follow it: keep it simple and don't fuss about the fancy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

We have the Gorham stainless steel from our wedding 30 years ago. It has been quite serviceable and sturdy. I don't know if it is still made as well as we've never had to buy any replacements. We (ok, I) chose a fairly plain pattern with just a slight inset around the handle. Our flatware is used every day and still going strong. Both my parents and my in-laws gave us some very good advice when we became engaged and I've tried to follow it: keep it simple and don't fuss about the fancy.

could be good. 

for ref, this is my current stuff (and holy fuck those prices!)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Towle-IONIC-Stainless-Korea-Glossy-Silverware-Flatware-CHOICE/371751977595

i'd get the same maker but who knows if the quality has fallen off with manufacturing moving to ever cheaper places

i always liked the design of this set.  and its fully functional too.  coincidentally it was used by a local restaurant and i really liked the hand-feel and balance of it -- particularly the knife.

i was convinced it was made/sold by WMF, but now when im actually trying to buy it, they dont list it.  could only find this under Cutipol, and a bunch of chinese knockoffs.  Not sure if any of these are original, or they're all ripped off from an older design.  the exact model i looked at had black handle with pattern almost like wood grain.

023901_1_1032_GOABLUE_24pc_1024x1024.jpg

That is definitely why I mentioned the age of our set- I have no idea if they are made as well as they once were. I cannot recall the name of the pattern, I'd probably have to see if the original pamphlet survived one of our many moves (great thing about moving: paring down!) or sit down and look through one of those websites til I saw it. I don't care for the very lightweight flatware, either. It bends and often can have rough spots that can be painful when using so I can see why it would make someone surly.

If you don't want to spend a lot and you don't care about matching, auctions and estate sales sometimes have sets that are not necessarily valuable but are serviceable. Apparently the younger crowd doesn't 'do' china anymore, so those fancy dinnerware sets are all over the place whereas flatware is harder to find. We kept it simple and went with dinnerware that was not too plain and not too fancy and like the flatware have used it for 30 years. Unlike the flatware, we have had to replace some due to breakage but I just went and bought plain white pieces so it compliments the remaining dishes.

i always liked the design of this set.  and its fully functional too.  coincidentally it was used by a local restaurant and i really liked the hand-feel and balance of it -- particularly the knife.

i was convinced it was made/sold by WMF, but now when im actually trying to buy it, they dont list it.  could only find this under Cutipol, and a bunch of chinese knockoffs.  Not sure if any of these are original, or they're all ripped off from an older design.  the exact model i looked at had black handle with pattern almost like wood grain.

023901_1_1032_GOABLUE_24pc_1024x1024.jpg?v=1525923908

Handles too skinny. Would not bang
  • Like 4

Saw this discussion on another board and it fits for me. When you pull into the gas station to get diesel and the station is empty other than a couple of cars blocking the outside diesel pumps. It never fails that people pull up to them because they are usually the outside ones.

• Like 1

This belongs in the (not) trivial things that please you thread, but given all the cutlery masturbation going on, I figured I'd mention that quality Laguiole steak knives are a delight to wield. 

https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/ct/laguiole-knives-the-honest-truth.htm

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

You must not have kids. Either that, or you sweep your trash bags with a metal detector before you take them out. 

5 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

When you line up your papers perfect to staple them and you smash down and boom no staple.

Or the staple bends and doesn’t penetrate all the sheets. Am I the only one who pulls the staple and tries to hit the same spot with the second attempt so it doesn’t looked fucked up?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Cheap, thin bath mats in hotels (when I am not staying at the Ritz Carlton) that won’t stay in place and wrinkle up under my feet. Sometimes they even stick to the bottom of my foot (insert joke) and come off the floor when take a step. 

The struggle is real. 

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My Dad met him before the War and didn’t particularly like him.

He was pissed they didn't invade mainland Japan.  He wanted HIS glory moment.  If you read "The Admirals" by Walter Borneman, (great read about WWII, and the naval men who ran the war) they cover Mac Arthurs reputation, and his shortfalls, and self inflated sense of worth.

20 hours ago, 52-80 said:

023901_1_1032_GOABLUE_24pc_1024x1024.jpg

Those are fucking awful.

• Like 3

too late.  ordered.  the restaurant i mentioned was portuguese, so makes sense these are the original.  usually most knives are thick and heavy handled, this one has balance favoring the tip and feels like a scalpel which i prefer

9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You must not have kids. Either that, or you sweep your trash bags with a metal detector before you take them out. 

This right here.  Our kids--when they were little dumbasses-- would throw away the spoons with their cup of yogurt, fruit or whatever.  Before we noticed it we had like 6 spoons left of 16 place settings.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Llogg said:

1. Specifically the spoons are a kid's drawing of what a spoon is.

2. Skinny handles aren't very forward thinking for the arthritis years.

3. They look like some pretentious MoMA shit.

Also look like the shit you'd get at the grocery store back in the 70's.

023901_1_1032_GOABLUE_24pc_1024x1024.jpg?v=1525923908

Not sure if serious. I’d rather use a spork. If you want chopsticks, buy chopsticks.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

This right here.  Our kids--when they were little dumbasses-- would throw away the spoons with their cup of yogurt, fruit or whatever.  Before we noticed it we had like 6 spoons left of 16 place settings.

Haha, no, we have kids albeit they are older now. When they were little, though, we had children's table ware for them from grandparents/shower gift. As they grew and were learning how to help with the dishes, they were fairly supervised so they learned how to scrape or rinse off what they used and place it by the sink/dishwasher. We don't have as large a setting as you, so it would have been noticed pretty quickly if we were missing items. In the early years before we bought a house, we didn't have a dishwasher, so I was washing dishes frequently. It's one thing I do like about a kitchen with a window by the sink: it makes washing the dishes much more pleasant.

But, back to trivial things that make me surly: why is it that some pens get those little ink blobs that you don't notice until you've dragged your hand through them?

I make the decision to help clean up my inbox and unsubscribe from some stupid marketing mailing list I've somehow ended up on. First thing after hitting the button, I get an email notification from that same company. 

We're sorry to see that you unsubscribed? Was this a mistake? blahblahblah

Mother fucker, the reason I unsubscribed is that I don't ever want to get an email from you ever again. 

• Like 2