Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

HEB allowing sacker school students to graduate with less than a 3.6 GPA. This shit is far too important to the morale and future of our nation to continue with the "Everybody's a winner, everybody's a sacker" bullshit mentality. Make. It. Stop. Have 'em gather carts until they're ready for the big show.

On 10/13/2019 at 8:15 AM, Frank The Tank said:

All wireless headphones? All headphones? Just AirPods? What’s the problem? I listen to The Ticket while I’m out doing things, I do that on my phone app through wireless headphones. If they were made by Apple you’d be pissed about it? 

yeah, I download baseball podcasts most mornings and listen to them when I'm doing stuff/driving

I made a couple modifications to a benchrest trigger. Putting it all back together, a couple of slave pins to hold it together while I get it into place in the receiver. I dropped one of the final assembly pins. I saw it land by my feet and bounce to the left but I'll be damned if I can find it. I ran a magnet-on-a-stick under the bench and all over the floor without any luck. Shit. I'm sure it will show up after I've already made a replacement.

On 10/12/2019 at 4:25 PM, ztejas said:

If you wear airpods in public you should be shot.

I'm so tired of this shit.

I can't wear those goddamn things anyway. I think my ears are shaped differently because the left ear can hold them with no problem but my right ear I can't put them in without this weird suction feelings taking over. I can't hear a fuckin thing past the pressure and I look stupid wearing only one of them.

15 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I can't wear those goddamn things anyway. I think my ears are shaped differently because the left ear can hold them with no problem but my right ear I can't put them in without this weird suction feelings taking over. I can't hear a fuckin thing past the pressure and I look stupid wearing only one of them.

I've never liked any kind of ear bud. I don't want to stick anything at all in my ears, thank you very much. I don't care how goofy they look, give me a good solid pair of noise cancelling headphones that completely cover the ear, and make you look like you work on the deck of an aircraft carrier.

• Like 1

not trivial, just surly.

I had to replace two side marker lights Sunday on one of my trailers. When I returned home with the lights, I then noticed one of the packages was opened (it was a return).  Apparently they didnt like the fit (wires were used) and returned it.  But, they decided to keep the shiny new screws that came with it.  I didnt have the exact size, so back to the store to get another. RAGE

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

not trivial, just surly.

I had to replace two side marker lights Sunday on one of my trailers. When I returned home with the lights, I then noticed one of the packages was opened (it was a return).  Apparently they didnt like the fit (wires were used) and returned it.  But, they decided to keep the shiny new screws that came with it.  I didnt have the exact size, so back to the store to get another. RAGE

I hate this. Home Depot is the worst. They will just take returns, try to tape it up so it looks new, and put it back on the shelf. I have to thumb threw the first two or three products to get to a fresh one.

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

not trivial, just surly.

That all starts with the surliness caused by terrible wiring work and cheap lights on most trailers.  Big Tex is the worst. Ranch King is not bad.  The best wiring work and lights I've found are on my 28' PJ gooseneck and 20' PJ dump trailer. 

I hate this. Home Depot is the worst. They will just take returns, try to tape it up so it looks new, and put it back on the shelf. I have to thumb threw the first two or three products to get to a fresh one.
Ha! You are on point.

I have a friend that took a job out of college for Porter Cable back in the day when they were usa made.

His crap schedule as a noob was hitting the dfw HD and lowes stores. Shelf work, returns, etc.

He said at least twice a month a store would take back an expensive tool and inside the box was rocks or scrap steel.

That all starts with the surliness caused by terrible wiring work and cheap lights on most trailers.  Big Tex is the worst. Ranch King is not bad.  The best wiring work and lights I've found are on my 28' PJ gooseneck and 20' PJ dump trailer. 

I have a 16 foot pipe trailer and a single dovetail from big tex, among others.

Bigtex employees certified welders and makes pretty much the best trailer made. And you pay for it like franklin bbq.

Both of my trailers has black zip ties and rubber grommets going through any steel.

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

I have a 16 foot pipe trailer and a single dovetail from big tex, among others.

Bigtex employees certified welders and makes pretty much the best trailer made. And you pay for it like franklin bbq.

Both of my trailers has black zip ties and rubber grommets going through any steel.

Perhaps they've changed their ways.  

On 10/14/2019 at 4:31 PM, Shoxthemonkey said:

I made a couple modifications to a benchrest trigger. Putting it all back together, a couple of slave pins to hold it together while I get it into place in the receiver. I dropped one of the final assembly pins. I saw it land by my feet and bounce to the left but I'll be damned if I can find it. I ran a magnet-on-a-stick under the bench and all over the floor without any luck. Shit. I'm sure it will show up after I've already made a replacement.

I’m at the ranch messing with cameras and feeders while also shooting a few pigs. The plastic bag I had two cameras and two memory cards broke this morning.  The cards are in the little plastic sleeves.  It broke and dropped right by my feet.  I cannot find one of the cards.  I put it in there one minute before the bag broke

On 10/12/2019 at 4:25 PM, ztejas said:

If you wear airpods in public you should be shot.

I'm so tired of this shit.

We're playing softball the other night.  Foul ball popup over the netting, girl is sitting their listening to her headphones while we're screaming "Heads up!!" at her.  Doink.  Then she raises her arms like we should have warned her.  

F off regard!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moby Ric said:

Speaking of air pods, headphones etc.  I hate seeing people drive with them in.  Makes me surly.

Yeah, being able to HEAR what was going on around me in traffic has saved my bacon a couple of times over the years. Emergency vehicle sirens, train horns, tires squalling from folks locking up their brakes. Unless it's on the open road I pretty much leave all of the noisemakers off. Close calls will re-educate you that way.

Took my daughter to school this morning. Had to wait about ten minutes before they opened the gate to the drive way where you drop off the kids. Cars line up along the curb. Dipshit behind me in a jacked up truck that's probably never been off pavement had his head lights on, shining directly into my rear view and left side mirrors.

17 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Yeah, being able to HEAR what was going on around me in traffic has saved my bacon a couple of times over the years. Emergency vehicle sirens, train horns, tires squalling from folks locking up their brakes. Unless it's on the open road I pretty much leave all of the noisemakers off. Close calls will re-educate you that way.

Same thing on the ski slopes.  I wanna hear what's going on around me with other skiers, and boarders.  Headphones = a potential Darwin Award nominee.

This is not trivial. It is possibly greatly life impacting. I find that 95% of chairs and couches are terribly designed. When you sit down in them, you find that they are impossible to sit in normally. There’s always something wrong.

For example, the back is so far back from the front edge of the seat that you’d have to recline way back and curl your back to make contact with the back, leaving you in a slumped, painful position. Or, the height of the seat is either so short or so tall that you can’t comfortably sit, especially with your legs crossed.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

This is not trivial. It is possibly greatly life impacting. I find that 95% of chairs and couches are terribly designed. When you sit down in them, you find that they are impossible to sit in normally. There’s always something wrong.

For example, the back is so far back from the front edge of the seat that you’d have to recline way back and curl your back to make contact with the back, leaving you in a slumped, painful position. Or, the height of the seat is either so short or so tall that you can’t comfortably sit, especially with your legs crossed.

Thus the advent of LazEBoy recliners.  

9 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Took my daughter to school this morning. Had to wait about ten minutes before they opened the gate to the drive way where you drop off the kids. Cars line up along the curb. Dipshit behind me in a jacked up truck that's probably never been off pavement had his head lights on, shining directly into my rear view and left side mirrors.

Mother fucker, it happened again this morning. This is getting to be not trivial.

A couple:

New bath towels or the weird non-absorbent ones that just push the water around as you're drying off.  You all know that one towel that fucking sucks.

Metro busses driving on Westheimer...particularly in Montrose.  Lanes are too narrow and and those fat bastards drive right down the fucking middle of the 2 lanes.

Wasn't paying close attention and grabbed a box of kitchen trash bags with the long "ears" and not drawstrings. Didn't realize it until I opened them up at the house a month or so later. Now I've got to use them. Fuck. In the larger scheme of things though  I guess I've done dumber stuff with $4 (South Austin's mom) and at least this mistake won't leave me with an uncomfortable rash. So there's that.

6 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Metro busses driving on Westheimer...particularly in Montrose.  Lanes are too narrow and and those fat bastards drive right down the fucking middle of the 2 lanes.

and they stop every fucking 2 blocks.  i know, that's the policy, stop every 2 blocks.  but is it really necessary when the blocks are 200' long?