Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Where the fuck does a restaurant get off serving New England clam chowder if they don't have oyster crackers? No, I don't want any goddamn croutons.

Place should be burned to the ground. 

Yeah, that's not cool at all. Not that there's anything wrong with croutons. Give me choices. But oyster crackers are required just like sour cream with potato skins. 

On 10/17/2019 at 2:53 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

1. People who hog the fucking left lane on the highway and do not drive at a speed that is equal to just about everyone else.

2. People, in the right lane, who are being passed on the highway who then decide they must speed up to make your pass more difficult.

3..assholes in the left lane, while being passed on the right, decide to speed up and try to cut you off from getting in front of them. May they die a horrible death. 

If I was granted DPS authority tomorrow the first thing I would do is pull over left lane abusers all. goddamn. day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I got a really good one:  the grammatical rule where you don't close the quotation mark when it ends a paragraph.  i imagine it would kill software developers.

What are you talking about? The only time you don't close the quotation is if the next paragraph continues the quoted material.

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

What are you talking about? The only time you don't close the quotation is if the next paragraph continues the quoted material.

Exactly.  Not only is the preceding paragraph not "closed", a new quotation marks is used to open the next paragraph.

If you make long quotations, put it in blocks.

Or, maybe write more shit in your own words.

People who sit in those goddamn massaging chairs that beep incessantly if you don’t pay.  They have those at both Catch Airs where I take my kids to burn off energy, and right now there’s a giant lady sitting in it just oblivious to the obnoxious noises driving everyone nuts.  

She keeps looking inquisitively at it despite the big sign that says ‘will beep if you don’t pay to activate this chair’. 

On 10/18/2019 at 8:16 AM, Tylerocks said:

A couple:

New bath towels or the weird non-absorbent ones that just push the water around as you're drying off.  You all know that one towel that fucking sucks.

Metro busses driving on Westheimer...particularly in Montrose.  Lanes are too narrow and and those fat bastards drive right down the fucking middle of the 2 lanes.

Those metro buses on montrose - not trivial. They swing into your lane at will. Bus > car and I’m lucky I haven’t been on the losing end yet 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Exactly.  Not only is the preceding paragraph not "closed", a new quotation marks is used to open the next paragraph.

If you make long quotations, put it in blocks.

Or, maybe write more shit in your own words.

This is not only trivial but wrong. Dialog, for instance, may span more than one paragraph for a single speaker. Closing the quotation would make you think a new speaker had started. I'm not much of a programmer, but it doesn't seem odd to me from that standpoint. Like currying functions you're currying paragraphs into a single quotation.

17 minutes ago, Llogg said:

This is not only trivial but wrong. Dialog, for instance, may span more than one paragraph for a single speaker. Closing the quotation would make you think a new speaker had started. I'm not much of a programmer, but it doesn't seem odd to me from that standpoint. Like currying functions you're currying paragraphs into a single quotation.

This thread isn't about whether something is right or wrong (nevermind first needing to agree on a reference be it AP, MLA, Chicago, etc...)

I get closing a quote necessitates re-attributing the speaker.  But then....how about not starting a new paragraph with the same speaker?

Now STFU and let me rant.

Totally mad at what a retardo I am.  Left a couple of Gs on the table.

Was going through expense report system and realized I had an expense type up, filled out, receipts sorted, and done everything short of submitting it. 

Wasn't standard business expense either like from a meeting, but came from a perk/Benny, was over 1 year ago, and from a tight-pursed team that I transferred out of.  Different group, different business unit, different country entirely.

The only thing that could separate me further from entitlement to it is if I had quit the company.  So.....basically, easy money in the trash

On 10/20/2019 at 3:02 PM, Homercles said:

People who sit in those goddamn massaging chairs that beep incessantly if you don’t pay.  They have those at both Catch Airs where I take my kids to burn off energy, and right now there’s a giant lady sitting in it just oblivious to the obnoxious noises driving everyone nuts.  

She keeps looking inquisitively at it despite the big sign that says ‘will beep if you don’t pay to activate this chair’. 

Go tell her to either to take it out of reverse, or get out of the chair.

On 10/19/2019 at 7:14 PM, achooloco said:

we've had 3-4 generations of football fans trained to spot small pieces of yellow flying across the broadcast, from any direction. so what do dumb fuck ad folk do in 2019? make every ad pop up in the corners and random unnecessary program info fucking yellow. assholes.

Similarly, women's college basketball ticker scores should be in pink.  At least a dozen times a season, a score will roll by and I'm all "shit, Texas and Iowa State are in a barn burner I should flip over to that".  Then I notice the next game is in the 3rd quarter and rage.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

Similarly, women's college basketball ticker scores should be in pink.  At least a dozen times a season, a score will roll by and I'm all "shit, Texas and Iowa State are in a barn burner I should flip over to that".  Then I notice the next game is in the 3rd quarter and rage.

Yup. done that a few times.Hell, the other day they showed a score Rangers 3 Senators 1 -- for a split second I thought. Sweet the Texas Rangers are winning....Wait. That'd be hockey. Also the Texas Rangers season has been over for awhile...

7 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

Similarly, women's college basketball ticker scores should be in pink.

they don't need to be on the ticker at all

sorry, but the percentage of the viewing audience that cares is so small that you might as well expand the ticker to include WWE results

same goes for stuff like EPL, MLS, whatever

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

they don't need to be on the ticker at all

sorry, but the percentage of the viewing audience that cares is so small that you might as well expand the ticker to include WWE results

same goes for stuff like EPL, MLS, whatever

The continuous one is outdated and needs to go away. Far more scores available now and a good portion of the audience is actively trying to avoid it for spoilers etc

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, justhookit said:

Wait, if you are saying you had a large group and did a bunch of separate checks then no I don’t have a problem with that. If you mean you were legit just running your own tab then yeah, fuck that and it’s not trivial.

It was the second bar in the back of the restaurant set aside so we could mingle standing up but not sit down or anything, just normal walk up to a bar situation. I’m positive if someone from the front bar happened to wander into Our area to order a drink, they wouldn’t have Been turned away. All my buddy’s friends were coming and going at their leisure, paying the bartender in cash or card, just like any other bar or night. I had my own tab with the bartender like I’ve done hundreds of other times in bars all over the city. 

Flipping through channels this afternoon and I come across The Exorcist playing on AMC.  Not sure why they even bothered as they neutered/butchered the hell out of it with editing some of the language out of it.  Such a classic, iconic movie and they try and turn it into Heidi for God's sake.