Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

And I said I don't like dressing in a suit and tie to a wedding.  I agree with you.  I've never understood the importance of wearing ties at anything except funerals (and maybe some black tie events).  I've never insisted anyone under me at work wear a tie.  Half the galas I've attended, I've skipped the tie.  It makes less than no sense.  

I just added some color to my commentary because it's a LULZ thread where I thought we could just wax goofy. It's a message board (specifically a thread of a goofy nature) of highly educated sociopaths, there's gonna be tangents.  

Edited by Lobo

On 1/14/2020 at 12:17 PM, Lobo said:

Four public oil companies in Austin.  Tens of thousands of Austinites with deep ties to the industry.  Let’s add four non-stops to ABIA.   Okay!

should we add Midland-Odessa?  Nope, Des Moines, Asheville (which is actually cool, i love it there), Knoxville, and Grand Rapids.  

What the fuck?   I saw the announcement for four new non stops and though my life was going to get infinitely easier.  It will be when my job in Knoxville pans out.  

allegiant?  houston just got the same flights

Well that's just fantastic for the oil business considering how critical Knoxville and Grand Rapids are to the industry. Yes, Allegiant Air.  

I kid.   i'm just doing more work (really, just meetings) in Odessa-Midland, and it's trivial and it makes me surly (which I think is the name of the thread)...and it's annoying to see more and more non-stops get announced and have them get more and more trivial.  I love Asheville and it's a sympatico city with Austin, but come the fuck on---there are way more people in Austin in the oil business than there are the Grand Rapids.  Unless this was the long game by Herman Miller Office Furniture for planting their flag in Austin all those years ago.  

I realize Allegiant can't fly to MAF yet due to the gate contracts.  Surely either SWA could bring back to the Craddick shuttle between our two cities.  UAL wouldn't make much sense unless they added one flight a day that stopped between IAH-MAF through Austin.  But that won't happen.  American has zero interest in the route.  SWA could do it via 1x/day from Hobby stopping in Austin with no plane change then on to MAF in addition to their many non-stops between HOU and MAF that nobody wants to disrupt.  Only other option would be a point-to-point add-on with somebody like Allegiant or Frontier.  But they'd have to make a major commitment to that gate financially.  And they couldn't really add much except maybe San Antonio, Austin, maybe pickup an extra fare-undercutting route from IAH or Hobby, and maybe Lubbock or OKC for the rest of the business scattered beyond points past the panhandle.  I realize Economics don't make much sense for a new gate.  But it's insane SWA or UAL can't make this work.  

Meantime, Vonlane is considering adding a service to/from Austin and Dallas.  Problem though is the number of hours behind the wheel, throws off a there/back shift for the driver.  If we can work out the logistics for having drivers there in Midland than can be available for something else, could work.  Anyway...

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I wore slacks, an Oxford button down shirt, and a tie during my school career.
In retirement 95% of the time its drawstring shorts, polo shirt (untucked), white socks (feet don’t like color dyes), and loafer-style sketchers. If it is cold, then sweat pants.

My only suit dates from 1986 and has not been worn in this century.

so you dressed for the occasion when giving an oral history  of the texas revolution during the sesquicentennial

8 hours ago, Iceman said:

1) LOLz, but you must not know many farmers, with regard to debt. 

2) One's degree is from West Point, with time being currently served  for his "free" education.  She lived at home with her parents the past 2 years after graduating and paid off all of her student loans.  The wedding became something of a celebration of the hard work/ sacrifice they had both put in.  They pulled it off very nicely where it was elegant/ fancy without insisting upon itself to impress anyone.

Apparently the joke went above your head.

• Like 1

I hate how strawberries are completely fucking random and buying them is a coinflip. 

Big ones, small ones, deep red ones, smooth ones, sweet smelling ones, plain smelling ones.  None of that is telltale that they actually taste good.

And usually the packages are sealed so you can't just pick one out and taste them.

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I hate how strawberries are completely fucking random and buying them is a coinflip. 

Big ones, small ones, deep red ones, smooth ones, sweet smelling ones, plain smelling ones.  None of that is telltale that they actually taste good.

And usually the packages are sealed so you can't just pick one out and taste them.

We're still talking about fruit right, 52-epstein?  

11 hours ago, Llogg said:

How? It sets the example that appearances and dressing fancy are superficial meaningless bullshit.

Call me old fashioned, but an untucked shirt that is not supposed to be untucked, wrinkly pants, messed up hair, unkempt facial hair... it doesn't set a good example to the kids about a sense of pride in presenting yourself like you give a fuck.

• Like 3

I thought we had a "sutpid damned bicylists" thread, but I can't seem to find it.

How about -- "what makes me surly is when a cyclist runs a red light right in front of oncoming traffic, damned near gets killed and forces everyone to stop while his spandex-clad ass takes his sweet time crossing the street?"

On 360 yesterday at 183, heading inbound from an errand.  Fedex truck in front of me.  We get the green light, start across 183 on the overpass.  Next light turns green (where the southbound 183 access road crosses 360), so we're now doing about 30 mph, about to go through the green....when a dude in red spandex on his bike just casually rides across the road, pulling directly in front of the moving Fedex truck.  My wife and I each involuntarily gasped, as we were pretty sure we were about to see someone die.  Bless the Fedex driver, who must have even seen this moron as he was about to pull his maneuver, and slowed down and then stopped rather abruptly.  Guy keeps pedaling, goes in front of the Fedex truck and keeps on going.  Meanwhile, inbound traffic on 360, which has a clear green light, has completely stopped, as we all saw what was happening.

My wife immediately starts talking about what an asshole the guy is, and I laughed, and told her to come downtown more often.  The percentage of cyclists and scooter drivers who obey red lights has to be in the low single-digits.  But at least downtown, we're going pretty slow and can stop quickly.  This guy got super lucky that the Fedex truck hadn't already put the hammer down and hit 40 mph+, because if he had....he'd have been a dead cyclist.  Freaking dumbasses.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I thought we had a "sutpid damned bicylists" thread, but I can't seem to find it.

How about -- "what makes me surly is when a cyclist runs a red light right in front of oncoming traffic, damned near gets killed and forces everyone to stop while his spandex-clad ass takes his sweet time crossing the street?"

On 360 yesterday at 183, heading inbound from an errand.  Fedex truck in front of me.  We get the green light, start across 183 on the overpass.  Next light turns green (where the southbound 183 access road crosses 360), so we're now doing about 30 mph, about to go through the green....when a dude in red spandex on his bike just casually rides across the road, pulling directly in front of the moving Fedex truck.  My wife and I each involuntarily gasped, as we were pretty sure we were about to see someone die.  Bless the Fedex driver, who must have even seen this moron as he was about to pull his maneuver, and slowed down and then stopped rather abruptly.  Guy keeps pedaling, goes in front of the Fedex truck and keeps on going.  Meanwhile, inbound traffic on 360, which has a clear green light, has completely stopped, as we all saw what was happening.

My wife immediately starts talking about what an asshole the guy is, and I laughed, and told her to come downtown more often.  The percentage of cyclists and scooter drivers who obey red lights has to be in the low single-digits.  But at least downtown, we're going pretty slow and can stop quickly.  This guy got super lucky that the Fedex truck hadn't already put the hammer down and hit 40 mph+, because if he had....he'd have been a dead cyclist.  Freaking dumbasses.

I saw an alternate version of this last year in Denton. There was some sort of bike race that Saturday and the idoits were in full force. Watched one guy blaze thru a red light but the pickup didn't stop. Luckily for the bicycle the truck was going fast enough he didn't get in front of it. He did, however, plow into the side of a truck going 30 and inertia/physics took over. Never seen a guy impersonate a helicopter on a bicycle before.

How many of you who are preaching about looking good/professional/whatever are also disturbed by people wearing hats indoors?

Hats come off when you step inside. Arnold Palmer could not abide the hat indoor thing. He’d make guests at his clubs take their caps off once they stepped inside.

16 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

How many of you who are preaching about looking good/professional/whatever are also disturbed by people wearing hats indoors?

Depends on the environment for me. Nice restaurant, church, office setting, etc., take the hat off. Home Depot, McDonalds, Chili's, it can stay on. 

• Like 3

Hats come off when you step inside. Arnold Palmer could not abide the hat indoor thing. He’d make guests at his clubs take their caps off once they stepped inside.
That is annoying as fuck at country clubs. I just sweated my ass off for 5 hours and now I have to take my hat off? Fuck that.

Well, the guys at the club don't give a shit if your hair is messed up from wearing a hat for 5 hours.  Country clubs also have showers and lockers.  
It's just stupid. Are your guests supposed to go shower before going home? Of course not.

One reason of many that I'm not a country club guy.

I don't really give a shit about hats one way or the other, except for men that wear skullcaps in Austin in the summer.  They're sweating unnecessarily and then gonna handle my food or drink order later?  Da fuh?  It doesn't make you look hip or complex, it makes you look sweaty.  Take it off, wash your hands, and get me a beer. 

17 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I am middle of the road-ish on professional appearance.  That being said,  take the hat/ cap/ toboggan off indoors.

Sorry, your manners ain't worth toleratin' if you don't.[/Woodrow Call voice]

Yeah, there are some of us with thick, lustrous hair that look crazy if we take our hat off in public after we’ve been sweating.  I mean, if you’d like to get your fingers out of my hair, you probably could.  But it’d be a  challenge.  

Are you a hands free state? Minny became one a few months ago and ive caught myself using the phone less while driving which i like, a lot. Hands free here means it's basically use your speaker phone or bluetooth, keep hands on wheel/ eyes on road. Cant hold phone up to ear.

I still catch texters texting at stoplights but whatever

I know the Nigerian prince emails bullshit is fake, but this one is from the Federal Reserve.
I'm gonna be rich bitches - $10.5 million to my ATM card; second beers are on me at the next Surly happy hour

longcat spoilered

FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF NEW YORK
ADDRESS: 33 LIBERTY STREET,
NEW YORK, N.Y 10038.

ATTN: FUND BENEFICIARY,

Re: ATM Card payment notification.

This is to officially inform you that the bank Federal Reserve Board
New York Branch  has concluded in the meeting today over your long
overdue contract payment and agreed that your payment worth
US$10.500,000.00 will be released to you through ATM Master Card which
will be delivered to you directly to your home address.

However, you are further advised to know that all arrangement has been
completed long ago for the immediate dispatch to your residency, you
have to reply back to us as soon as possible with the below DATA’ to
enable the Ups shipping department proceed with the immediate dispatch
tomorrow been Friday dated 24th of January 2020 on your behalf.

Finally, this is very urgent and important the bank are waiting to
hear from you right away today, Bear in mind that the tracking number
of your parcel will be given to you immediately the Processing charge
and Stamp fee which will not cost you much is received to avoid any
immediate STOP ORDER from the United Nation office.

Note That Because Of Impostors, We Hereby Issued You Our Code Of
Conduct, Which Is (ATM-2020) So You Have To Indicate This Code When
replying back to us By Using It As Your Subject. Get back to us with
this information needed,

Full Names:
Your Address:
Direct Number:
Your Age And Occupation:
A scan copy of your ID card or passport:

Reply back to us accordingly; The bank Wait For Your Expedite Response.

Yours in Service,
Mr. Jerome H. Powell
Chairman Federal Reserve Board New York

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Jalapeno poppers made with cream cheese instead of the correct cheddar.

Cream cheese has its uses, but when deep fried, it turns into tasteless, superheated foam. Cheddar has enough bite to punch through the strong pepper flavor, and its stretchy, gooey texture complements the exterior crunch.

Fuck you and everything you hold dear. 

Cordially, of course. 

• Like 2