Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

17 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

But it is also rude, and generates a lot of ill-will for a relatively minor gain in efficiency.

it's only rude if don't know that you should zipper.

13 hours ago, General Specific said:

However, it’s another thing all together when hitting an exit ramp with traffic. Nice people finish last! There is always a Prius, or a blue hair, or a texter not paying attention....yup, open space!!!1!

that's not a zipper merge situation.  zipper is when a lane is disappearing into another.  an exit ramp isn't that. 

• Like 2

that's not a zipper merge situation.  zipper is when a lane is disappearing into another.  an exit ramp isn't that. 

This. I’m pro zipper. Today coming into downtown Hou on I-10 traffic was slow but moving and some idiot in the far right lane thinks the entrance ramp on her right is actually a new lane that will be wide open and free of traffic. She gets into the entrance ramp and sees almost immediately that she has to merge right back into her previous lane. She just cut the line by 3 or 4 cars. I suppose it’s worth it for those kinds of people.

Hotels that feel the need to have 25 brands under their Flag.  It's annoying not knowing what you're getting from city to city, brand to brand.  Before I get all excited for your upper-upscale lifestyle concept eco-friendly location-centric hotel...just make sure you're living up to just regular Hyatt standards.  Focus on the fundamentals before you get too cute with your mission statement at check-in.  

41 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I have a few things "saved for later" in my Amazon cart.  Whenever I view my car I get an "important message" that tells me of price changes on these items.  99% of the time the price has changed all of 4 cents. 

Are you familiar with the phrase, "Shit or get off the pot?"

16 hours ago, Lobo said:

Hotels that feel the need to have 25 brands under their Flag.  It's annoying not knowing what you're getting from city to city, brand to brand.  Before I get all excited for your upper-upscale lifestyle concept eco-friendly location-centric hotel...just make sure you're living up to just regular Hyatt standards.  Focus on the fundamentals before you get too cute with your mission statement at check-in.  

And the clerk is often incredulous when you ask which umbrella they're under so that you can give them the correct rewards account number. 

But at least it often allows you an opportunity to openly mock the whole dumb "Bonvoy" thing. 

"OMG (Lizzo / Rachel Maddow / some obese domesticated raccoon on the Internet that eats only Oreos / whatever) is MY SPIRIT ANIMAL!!!!!!!!"

Look bitch, if you want a spirit animal you've got to wander isolated desert canyons for 30 days and nights wearing nothing but a loincloth and subsisting only on rainwater, peyote buttons, and scorpions, or go into a dense jungle with nothing but a flint-bladed knife and come out dragging a dead full-grown jaguar. Or leopard. 

You don't get to sit there on your couch and claim some lame-ass celebrity is your spirit animal. It makes me mad just typing it.

You've got to earn that shit. 

• Like 1

"OMG (Lizzo / Rachel Maddow / some obese domesticated raccoon on the Internet that eats only Oreos / whatever) is MY SPIRIT ANIMAL!!!!!!!!"
Look bitch, if you want a spirit animal you've got to wander isolated desert canyons for 30 days and nights wearing nothing but a loincloth and subsisting only on rainwater, peyote buttons, and scorpions, or go into a dense jungle with nothing but a flint-bladed knife and come out dragging a dead full-grown jaguar. Or leopard. 
You don't get to sit there on your couch and claim some lame-ass celebrity is your spirit animal. It makes me mad just typing it.
You've got to earn that shit. 

Assholes bitching about random and pointless shit on the internet is my spirit animal.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

surveys that ask me to ascribe human attributes to corporations.   ask me how my food was, how quickly my order was taken, if the blowjob in the restroom was to completion, fine, whatever.  ask me if the ginormous corporation cares about me as a customer?  fuck no. the corporation is just some bits on a computer in delaware or nevada.  it's not friendly, or caring, or fun, or youthful, or whatever bullshit some marketing asshole who paid way too much for his bullshit degree and charges way too much by the hour came up with in some flash of doublethink moronity in a business park in topeka. 

Edited by elfenix

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You shop at Walmart. Don't tell us you care about the plight of the American worker or corporate greed. 

i used to go to walmart after 8 pm soccer games on sundays because it was the only place open.  after 10 pm they'd have one or two register open, despite the fact they'd get slammed with people filling their carts for the week b/c they all just got off work.  half the time i'd end up walking out with nothing b/c i didn't want to wait in line for 30 minutes.  self checkout improved that situation immensely.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, elfenix said:

i used to go to walmart after 8 pm soccer games on sundays because it was the only place open.  after 10 pm they'd have one or two register open, despite the fact they'd get slammed with people filling their carts for the week b/c they all just got off work.  half the time i'd end up walking out with nothing b/c i didn't want to wait in line for 30 minutes.  self checkout improved that situation immensely.

This, and it's not like they got rid of all the cashiers to put in those self checkout stands.  I can't even tell there's a noticeable difference in the number.  It used to be "Damn!  There aren't enough cashiers working today for how busy it is."  Now it's "Damn! There aren't enough cashiers working today for how busy it is.  Oh well, I'll just check myself out and be out of here in 5 minutes."

• Like 2

when people cite derivative, 2nd order metric as if its the primary reason to do something.

i read it most often in cars, "we replaced the steel exhaust with a lighter titanium one, shaving 15 pounds, to increase the power-to-weight ratio".

well, yes, but no.  you did that to save weight, which itself is already a good thing. 

a fat guy losing weight is good.  a fat guy losing weight isnt good because it decreased his BMI. 

Yeah, you were gonna threaten a guy with your weapon because he was listening to his phone too loud because one of his ears doesn't work?  

Plus, you're at a Safelife repair waiting room.  If it was a doctor's office or even a barber shop, I'd say he was outta line.  But it's a Safe-Lite, the Jiffy Lube of windshield repair.

Kinda reminds me of this exchange two students had in my class awhile back.  This young man is giving his portion of the group presentation and this female students asks him a question about how he arrived at one of this cash-flow number or something.  It was a math/explain your philosophy type of bundled question.  She asked it quickly and politely.  Well he goes off on this 2-minute answer that's very monotone and matter-of-fact and even teeters towards a "how could you not understand this?" vibe...There's no other way but this was as the logical conclusion."  Almost sounded like Spock.  So the female is pissy as hell, huffs and says he's insulting to her for "Mansplaining" this answer in such a rude tone and looks around to her team and mumbles something about "am I the only one who is tired of all this Mansplaining bullshit?" (it was my first encounter with the word in public).  The guy simply says, "I have Asperger's.  This is the only way I know how answer questions."  Her face was like she just found out the loud phone guy was missing an ear.  /csb