Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Being forced by my employer to complete what feels like our 500th set of "Diversity and Inclusion" trainings over the last two years. If feels like one of the big dogs must have got caught dropping an n-bomb or something similar for this to be blown up into such a big deal, but why the fuck do all us plebs have to suffer for their stupidity?

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Restaurants that have hamburgers but not French fries.

What is the name of this awful place that we shall shut down post haste?  

12 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i dont mind jargon per se.  and i dont mind science.  but poorly-written scientific papers where the author stuffs all the jargon in a blender to make a science-jargon soup.... it hurts my noggin.

What about middle management, where its not even science, it's pseudo-science-jargon soup?

Guest Lobo

At 43, being outside more each day than usual thanks to working mostly from home and not shaving as much (I have a very thick beard but very sensitive skin), my skin looks better than it has in years.  The fresh air, sunshine, and having to interact with people I don’t like has cleared my skin up a great deal.  But I am still quite stressed out for obvious reasons and so my body has taken it out on me in other ways.  I have three zits on my back that just angry. 

Guest Lobo

They’re actually sagging in my old age.  But I did Not have back acne on my covid-19 bingo card.  And they fucking hurt too when I sit in certain chairs.  

At 43, being outside more each day than usual thanks to working mostly from home and not shaving as much (I have a very thick beard but very sensitive skin), my skin looks better than it has in years.  The fresh air, sunshine, and having to interact with people I don’t like has cleared my skin up a great deal.  But I am still quite stressed out for obvious reasons and so my body has taken it out on me in other ways.  I have three zits on my back that just angry. 

I don't like my family either.

On 5/4/2020 at 11:19 AM, 52-80 said:

while we're on W-2, why the fuck are we shafted on income tax rates compared to people who live off qualified dividends? 

Call your Congressman.  He's playing golf with a lobbyist who's going to slide him some money to make taxes even more regressive.  This makes me surly.

On 5/8/2020 at 1:09 PM, Lobo said:

Alright, everyone hates pointless meetings but there's nothing anyone is going to do about it so we just suffer through them.  However, what really chaps my ass is when all these stupid ass meetings get scheduled on the same fucking day.  For God's sakes people, there are five fucking weekdays; spread them out a bit.

FUCK.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Alright, everyone hates pointless meetings but there's nothing anyone is going to do about it so we just suffer through them.  However, what really chaps my ass is when all these stupid ass meetings get scheduled on the same fucking day.  For God's sakes people, there are five fucking weekdays; spread them out a bit.

FUCK.

Yep, my last 3 and next 7 Monday’s consist of 2 separate 1 hour zoom calls and an additional 2 2hour calls.   I want to shoot people by the end of that 

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep, my last 3 and next 7 Monday’s consist of 2 separate 1 hour zoom calls and an additional 2 2hour calls.   I want to shoot people by the end of that 

People are still excited about the zoom meeting format.  New shiny toy syndrome .

• Like 1

My issue is so trivial I should be embarrassed to share it, which I am, but will anyway.

I have a small trash can in the bathroom where every time I try to drop trash in it, like Kleenex, it slowly fritters away during the decent and lands outside the can on the floor.

Given the height and circumference of this particular trash can, I would have to slightly bend over to ensure trash fell properly into the receptacle. Screw that. I’m not doing it.

Instead I either just leave trash on the floor or come back later three times a day to bend over and pick it up off the floor, which is stupid, given it’s way more work than just bending over slightly in the first place.

• Like 1

My issue is so trivial I should be embarrassed to share it, which I am, but will anyway.

I have a small trash can in the bathroom where every time I try to drop trash in it, like Kleenex, it slowly fritters away during the decent and lands outside the can on the floor.

Given the height and circumference of this particular trash can, I would have to slightly bend over to ensure trash fell properly into the receptacle. Screw that. I’m not doing it.

Instead I either just leave trash on the floor or come back later three times a day to bend over and pick it up off the floor, which is stupid, given it’s way more work than just bending over slightly in the first place.

Do you not just pick it up with your toes or am I more evolved?

On 5/13/2020 at 1:17 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

FUCK.

Welcome to my Tuesdays.  Four meetings between 8 and 1.  

Guest Lobo
12 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

What about zoom lap dances ???

So that file tab on my zoom app that says, "Champagne Room"...that thing is real?  

On 5/3/2020 at 5:19 AM, 52-80 said:

Draconian password restrictions.  Holy fuck i thought UT EID was the worst, this one is deloitte:

In order to ensure the privacy of your data we require your new password meet the following requirements:

• Passwords must be at least 10 characters in length.
  • You cannot reuse your last 24 passwords.
  • Passwords must contain characters from at least three of the following four classes:
    1. English uppercase letters: A, B, C...Z
    2. English lowercase letters: a, b, c...z
    3. Westernized Arabic numerals: 0, 1, 2...9
    4. Nonalphanumeric (special characters): !, @, #, %, &, *, etc.
  • Passwords should not contain:
    1. Your username
    2. Your first and/or last name
    3. Dictionary words with or without (i) numbers or special characters at the beginning or end, or (ii) letters, numbers, or character exchanges (e.g., Summer2017, ?Happyman, H3llofr!end?)
    4. Words or numbers connected with you such as family names, pet names, birthdays, addresses, or phone numbers
    5. Common terminology, acronyms, or names associated with the Deloitte Firms or their clients
    6. Any sequencing of letters and numbers that follow the order of a keyboard (i.e., keyboard walk patterns such as 1234qwerASDF, 1qazXSW@3edc

I'm not sure this one counts as trivial.  Wait until the next time you have to change your password on Best Buy's website.  It required more complication than any other website I've ever used up to and including all my banks, (USAA, Citi) retirement accounts (Schwab, Fidelity), and post tax investment holdings (ETrade).  So, compared to every dollar to my name, my Best Buy account is (theoretically) more secure even though the rewards balance value varies pretty reliably between 4 and 11 dollars.

I've had two security breaches in the last handful of years across my entire life...my Best Buy account ordered an iPad Pro for shipping to Maryland and I had a credit card number compromised by guess who*?

There is a 0% chance I can actually buy something at Best Buy right now without going through the lost password routine and generating another one that meets all their rules that I similarly won't remember.  If Circuit City still existed, this would cause me to change my buying behavior entirely.

*I can't actually prove Best Buy was at fault, but the story is a lot better if they were.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 1:42 PM, VolenteHawk said:

I'm not sure this one counts as trivial.  Wait until the next time you have to change your password on Best Buy's website.  It required more complication than any other website I've ever used up to and including all my banks, (USAA, Citi) retirement accounts (Schwab, Fidelity), and post tax investment holdings (ETrade).  So, compared to every dollar to my name, my Best Buy account is (theoretically) more secure even though the rewards balance value varies pretty reliably between 4 and 11 dollars.

I've had two security breaches in the last handful of years across my entire life...my Best Buy account ordered an iPad Pro for shipping to Maryland and I had a credit card number compromised by guess who*?

There is a 0% chance I can actually buy something at Best Buy right now without going through the lost password routine and generating another one that meets all their rules that I similarly won't remember.  If Circuit City still existed, this would cause me to change my buying behavior entirely.

*I can't actually prove Best Buy was at fault, but the story is a lot better if they were.

I hate Best Buy as much as the next guy, and I don't disagree that this is a fucking beating to deal with, but it seems like a real "chicken and the egg" situation to me.