Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Guest Lobo

Along the lines of the 7/Z thing, people that refer to the numerical digit "0" as "O", like the letter, pronounced "Oh."  It's not, it's 0, and you pronounce it as "Zero."  It's one extra syllable, how fucking busy are you that you can't say it properly?  The Mayans, and Edward James Olmos, did not go through all that trouble so you could half-ass the proper term.  The last guy to say it as "Oh" in front of me?  His body's decomposing in my locker.  

there's no reason to add an and in a three digit number.  237.  "Two-Hundred, Thirty-Seven."  No need for the extra "And" after the Two-Hundred.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

Along the lines of the 7/Z thing, people that refer to the numerical digit "0" as "O", like the letter, pronounced "Oh."  It's not, it's 0, and you pronounce it as "Zero."  It's one extra syllable, how fucking busy are you that you can't say it properly?  The Mayans, and Edward James Olmos, did not go through all that trouble so you could half-ass the proper term.  The last guy to say it as "Oh" in front of me?  His body's decomposing in my locker.  

there's no reason to add an and in a three digit number.  237.  "Two-Hundred, Thirty-Seven."  No need for the extra "And" after the Two-Hundred.

Forty six and two, just ahead of me

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Here's another one that popped up today: driving in bad rain with your hazards on. Stop that shit!

What was the speed limit and how fast were they driving? If the rain is forcing you to drive significantly lower than the speed limit then yeah, turn on your hazards. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

35 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What was the speed limit and how fast were they driving? If the rain is forcing you to drive significantly lower than the speed limit then yeah, turn on your hazards. 

If you lack the ability to drive in the rain, maybe putting on the hazards isn't the answer. Perhaps you should stay at home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

If you lack the ability to drive in the rain, maybe putting on the hazards isn't the answer. Perhaps you should stay at home.

In a heavy downpour, prudent drivers slow down to have their speed match the visibility, knowing that they need to be going slow enough that they have enough time to avoid any hazard that might pop up in front of them. That might mean that a driver slows down considerably below the posted limit (read: limit, not minimum speed) on a 75 mph freeway. Particularly at night. 
The prudent driver also knows that there are imprudent drivers sharing the road with him. Karens, SECX3 knuckleheads with aggy stickers, teenagers, methheads, texters, social media influencers, and some of you knuckleheads. The prudent driver knows that at least some of those people will not slow down to match the conditions, and will continue to barrel along at 90 mph, even though they can’t see but about 10 feet in front of them. Therefore, the prudent driver will turn on their hazards temporarily so that the visibility of their vehicle will be increased, thereby lowering the chances of being rear-ended by the knuckleheads. 
Hazard lights are also useful in heavy traffic if one comes upon a sudden slowdown, etc., and knows that the knucklehead drivers behind him are following too closely, and unlikely to slow down in time to avoid the hazard. 
Yes, Texas law dictates that one should not drive with the hazard lights on.  Good luck getting a trooper/sheriff/constable to cite a driver for using the hazards in one of the above-described circumstances. Not going to happen. 

Guest Lobo
7 hours ago, elfenix said:

what you spelled out would be "200, 37" 

I put the comma in there in typed format to indicate that while speaking, there would be a pause.  Then again sometimes people can't hear my pauses because they're in parentheses.  

Trivial, I know. 

3 hours ago, Kilgorehorn said:

It is illegal to drive with your hazards on.

Not in Ohio. 

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Maybe you've never driven in a  really hard rain. I've seen it rain so hard that I had to pull off to the side of the road and come to a complete stop. Even with the wipers on high you couldn't see shit. You might be dumb enough to keep driving under those conditions. I'm not. 

3 hours ago, nnm said:

In a heavy downpour, prudent drivers slow down to have their speed match the visibility, knowing that they need to be going slow enough that they have enough time to avoid any hazard that might pop up in front of them. That might mean that a driver slows down considerably below the posted limit (read: limit, not minimum speed) on a 75 mph freeway. Particularly at night. 
The prudent driver also knows that there are imprudent drivers sharing the road with him. Karens, SECX3 knuckleheads with aggy stickers, teenagers, methheads, texters, social media influencers, and some of you knuckleheads. The prudent driver knows that at least some of those people will not slow down to match the conditions, and will continue to barrel along at 90 mph, even though they can’t see but about 10 feet in front of them. Therefore, the prudent driver will turn on their hazards temporarily so that the visibility of their vehicle will be increased, thereby lowering the chances of being rear-ended by the knuckleheads. 
Hazard lights are also useful in heavy traffic if one comes upon a sudden slowdown, etc., and knows that the knucklehead drivers behind him are following too closely, and unlikely to slow down in time to avoid the hazard. 
Yes, Texas law dictates that one should not drive with the hazard lights on.  Good luck getting a trooper/sheriff/constable to cite a driver for using the hazards in one of the above-described circumstances. Not going to happen. 

And how do you signal a lane change or an intention to turn while driving with your hazards on, professor? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

Parkour.

More specifically, the prominent push of parkour in media, like, hey, you know what would be cool, if we had a James Bond / Jason Bourne sequence where the hero is chasing some hipster dude parkouring all across an industrial park.

It would be totally on-point

13 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No no no. Absolutely not. If the rain is forcing you to drive a bit slower than the speed limit then just slow down. If you can't see the road then pull over and turn your hazards on. You don't need to turn them on while driving because the drivers behind you already know the weather is bad. It's disorienting for everyone behind you and even worse when you try to exit or change lanes since the hazards override the turn signal.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
18 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not in Ohio. 

Maybe you've never driven in a  really hard rain. I've seen it rain so hard that I had to pull off to the side of the road and come to a complete stop. Even with the wipers on high you couldn't see shit. You might be dumb enough to keep driving under those conditions. I'm not. 

I've seen rain so hard, it had its own rain.  /DrVanNostrand, Meatorologist

On 7/7/2020 at 10:34 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Not in Ohio. 

If there's one thing more dangerous than driving in rain, fog, or other low visibility situations, it's pulling over and stopping in said conditions. 

Now if you're a grandpa and you'll pulling into a parking lot and waiting it out, that's one thing. But stopping on the side of the road is no bueno.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

97.45% of all people in Texas are “thinking about moving to Colorado soon”. We get it. You’re so unique for having that idea. Stop talking about it and fucking leave already, I’m sure it’ll solve all your problems. 

The other 2.55% are sending LinkedIn feelers to Seattle, just checking on the job market there.

• Like 1