Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

While I'm at it.  WTF is up with the idea of labeling plywood 23/32, 15/32 and wthever weird ass fractional size they come up with.  Can't we just agree that 3/4 or 1/2 is close enough?  I mean shit my tape measure don't measure that little and if it did I couldn't see it anyway.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 4:16 PM, 52-80 said:

Parkour.

More specifically, the prominent push of parkour in media, like, hey, you know what would be cool, if we had a James Bond / Jason Bourne sequence where the hero is chasing some hipster dude parkouring all across an industrial park.

It would be totally on-point

man i wish i could go back to 2005.  good times.

14 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Please un-pin this while presenting on skype.

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

You know who does a great "Edging"  ???

your mother was presenting to me while i was edging to build up a load to blast on her face

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

While I'm at it.  WTF is up with the idea of labeling plywood 23/32, 15/32 and wthever weird ass fractional size they come up with.  Can't we just agree that 3/4 or 1/2 is close enough?  I mean shit my tape measure don't measure that little and if it did I couldn't see it anyway.

During the manufacture of plywood the product is sanded at some point (more for finish grade; less for utility grade.  CDX plywood, for example,  has a C side and a D side.  The C side is smoother having been sanded more). The sanding process removes a portion of the plywood’s exterior laminate piece.  The thickness you see labeled on / with the product is the nominal (approximate within tolerance) thickness of the product.  

5/8” plywood is the nominal thickness but the actual thickness would more than likely be 9/16” and falling within tolerance.  

So, yes, they have agreed “close enough.”

you asked. 

Edited by deadshank

10 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

What are the dimensions of  a 2 x 4, 2 x 8, 2 x 12 ?  The first question I ask any kid applying for an internship with me.  

If you don't know that you can't work for me.  You can't even create a set of accurate construction documents if you don't know that basic dimension.

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

What are the dimensions of  a 2 x 4, 2 x 8, 2 x 12 ?  The first question I ask any kid applying for an internship with me.  

If you don't know that you can't work for me.  You can't even create a set of accurate construction documents if you don't know that basic dimension.

79EEF344-CAB4-43E8-986E-ADA62948D8B4.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

isn't an internship about learning?

I never worked construction, but damn... High IQ, work ethic that won't stop, well, you don't know actuals off the top of your college head. fuck you.  Lolz.

Edited by slorch

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

isn't an internship about learning?

I never worked construction, but damn... High IQ, work ethic that won't stop, well, you don't know actuals off the top of your college head. fuck you.  Lolz.

It's a question I ask. I don't expect most, if any to know it, and if I hire them it's part of their first week of learning basic construction dimensions.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's a question I ask. I don't expect most, if any to know it, and if I hire them it's part of their first week of learning basic construction dimensions.

That’s fair.  I totally support your point if someone tried to bullshit their way through the question and put their ignorance on full display.  Those are great questions that don’t offend anyone...lol. 

10 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

No.

1 hour ago, nnm said:

Shooter, wouldn’t that be flip-flop and sock? 😉

Yeah, fli flops and socks are possible, but very difficult and not worth the trouble.

The new foot shell that came with my new prosthesis came in a split toe design. That being a gap between the big toe and the next toe to enable the wearing of a flip flop.  The problem is that without a real functional foot to grip and flex etc. the flip flop simply falls off.  Of course I guess a person could use duct tape

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yeah, fli flops and socks are possible, but very difficult and not worth the trouble.

The new foot shell that came with my new prosthesis came in a split toe design. That being a gap between the big toe and the next toe to enable the wearing of a flip flop.  The problem is that without a real functional foot to grip and flex etc. the flip flop simply falls off.  Of course I guess a person could use duct tape

maxresdefault.jpg

8 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Double sided carpet tape

• Like 1

I suppose I’ll have to ask my user.  I feel like I’m stuck in Tron.  Which would be okay if I was in there with 1980’s Lacey Underall in that tight bodysuit.  Her user and her ass had one thing in common, neither one of them ever quit!

On 7/8/2020 at 9:45 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Dammit this right here.  I remember years ago when they first started doing that crap.  Walked into a Lowes or whatever it was thinking WTH?  I just want a 3/4" sheet of plywood.   "Gee sorry sir".

The fact that 2020 started out somewhat decently.  Yes, it was a little melancholy with the crash of Kobe's helicopter, but then Nowthis happened and it really seemed like Surly had really started to make that turn towards greatness that was Shaggy.  I mean think about just how stupid fucking things happened that kept us all coming back.  Roman, Preacher Boy, the chase for the Boston Bombers, that water nymph thing, the APD recidivists tournaments, the Miss APD tournaments...I could go on.  Surly has yet to find that galvanizing moment where you feel that everything is going to be ok and someone somewhere is  doing something stupid that we can all laugh at.  That makes me Surly as fuck sometimes...then again I've been drinking for a while now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hate said:

The fact that 2020 started out somewhat decently.  Yes, it was a little melancholy with the crash of Kobe's helicopter, but then Nowthis happened and it really seemed like Surly had really started to make that turn towards greatness that was Shaggy.  I mean think about just how stupid fucking things happened that kept us all coming back.  Roman, Preacher Boy, the chase for the Boston Bombers, that water nymph thing, the APD recidivists tournaments, the Miss APD tournaments...I could go on.  Surly has yet to find that galvanizing moment where you feel that everything is going to be ok and someone somewhere is  doing something stupid that we can all laugh at.  That makes me Surly as fuck sometimes...then again I've been drinking for a while now.

Wow. I just realized that Kobe's crash happened this year. Felt like a long time ago. Is that story even top 5? No disrespect meant by asking, it just feels like this year has been nonstop with stuff nobody was expecting.

On July 8, 2020 at 1:57 PM, TornACL said:

If there's one thing more dangerous than driving in rain, fog, or other low visibility situations, it's pulling over and stopping in said conditions. 

Now if you're a grandpa and you'll pulling into a parking lot and waiting it out, that's one thing. But stopping on the side of the road is no bueno.

Keep driving when you can't see past your windshield? That's what you would do?

Brilliant. Darwin might have a rain storm in store for you. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Keep driving when you can't see past your windshield? That's what you would do?

Brilliant. Darwin might have a rain storm in store for you. 

I'd suggest you get your eyes checked, RainX, and better windshield wipers. Or all three.

I think you're being dramatic, but if visibility were that terrible, why would you stop on the shoulder and potentially put yourself square in the path of someone as blind as you?

4 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Well, you’re not doing a very good job with your kids so someone has go to do it. 

LOlz.

It wasn't towards me.   Plus mine are 27 and 21 years old.  I don't have to say a word to anyone.  It's all out in plain sight.  Usually people just want to know why they aren't assholes and I give their mom the credit for that.

Trust me, the advice giving was goofy as hell, and they didn't have the awareness to realize how ignorant they sounded.  I'm just thinking to myself, "What fucking tweet did they read that in yesterday?"

Edited by slorch