Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

12 hours ago, TornACL said:

I'd suggest you get your eyes checked, RainX, and better windshield wipers. Or all three.

I think you're being dramatic, but if visibility were that terrible, why would you stop on the shoulder and potentially put yourself square in the path of someone as blind as you?

Because if you can't see then you can't drive. Duh. RainX? I don't think you comprehend the deluge I'm describing. Yeah, it sucks, but when you have zero visibility you have to stop the car. It's not a matter of choice (unless you're an idiot and choose to drive blind). It's scary but at least you know that anyone else on the road is experiencing the same thing and they're probably stopped too. At the very least they're driving slowly so hopefully they see your flashing lights in time to avoid rear-ending you. 

You think I'm being dramatic? I think you're being obtuse. Why would I make this up? Jesus. 

This isn't trivial but still. 

Why the fuck are semis EVER allowed in the left lane of a two lane highway?  I don't care if Jethro in the other semi in front of you is going 43 mph in a 65.  Fuck you trucker man for trying to pass him.  Especially on an incline. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Why the fuck are semis EVER allowed in the left lane of a two lane highway?  I don't care if Jethro in the other semi in front of you is going 43 mph in a 65.  Fuck you trucker man for trying to pass him.  Especially on an incline. 

TTC proposed separate truck and car lanes.  rip

On 7/18/2020 at 8:06 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Because if you can't see then you can't drive. Duh. RainX? I don't think you comprehend the deluge I'm describing. Yeah, it sucks, but when you have zero visibility you have to stop the car. It's not a matter of choice (unless you're an idiot and choose to drive blind). It's scary but at least you know that anyone else on the road is experiencing the same thing and they're probably stopped too. At the very least they're driving slowly so hopefully they see your flashing lights in time to avoid rear-ending you. 

You think I'm being dramatic? I think you're being obtuse. Why would I make this up? Jesus. 

One of the most dangerous places to stop on any road, day or night, rain or shine, is the shoulder. If you have to stop get completely off of the fucking road. 

54 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

One of the most dangerous places to stop on any road, day or night, rain or shine, is the shoulder. If you have to stop get completely off of the fucking road. 

One time we drove to a border town in Mexico around noon and then started driving back around 3am the same "day". We were drunk (not the driver) and tired and pulled over on a shoulder somewhere halfway between Mexico and Austin. Every time a car sped by the highway next to us, it slightly rocked the Jeep Grand Cherokee left and right, over and over, it was the most peaceful sleep I'd had since my newborn swing.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

And turn off your headlights (and lay off the brakes) so that your taillights aren't illuminated which could otherwise confuse drivers into rear-ending the parked car. 

18 hours ago, elfenix said:

the texas exes alumni verification IS NOW DUE! spam i keep getting.  you have my email address and home address, fuck off.

That thing is some garbage deal the previous Executive Director tried to cut and we're still haunted by it. 

But if y'all can, please join HookedIn.  It connects us as alumni with students who need guidance and we spent a lot of time sculpting it to be effective.  

That thing is some garbage deal the previous Executive Director tried to cut and we're still haunted by it. 

But if y'all can, please join HookedIn.  It connects us as alumni with students who need guidance and we spent a lot of time sculpting it to be effective.  

Had no idea that HookedIn existed.

Just joined via my LinkedIn account took less than 5min on a boring ass risk assessment conf call.

1000x better than a triple platinum diamond package directory no one is going to buy. (Could I interest you in the gold package which comes with the leather bound directory a tote bag and stationary pad?)

Thanks for joining, spread the word.  It's going to be a very interesting platform going forward for UT (a joint effort between 5 or 6 of the main college on campus plus the Texas Exes).  We've been working really hard on this for 2 years.  I can't take credit though because Rex Kramer said I'm not from Texas, not from the right family, and didn't go to UT for 4 years.  

But I'll share more about the platform on another thread.  This is gonna be a gamechanger for us.  

43 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Your shitty memory isn’t the Mandela Effect and it certainly isn’t proof we’ve entered a simulation or a parallel universe.

Was it Looney “Tunes” or “Toons”? I can’t remember ZOMG! so it must be a different timeline!

More like Mandala Affect, amirite? 

More like Mandala Affect, amirite? 

It got brought up in an informal working conf call and diverted convo for 5-10mins.

Lady in bad Gump voice says “sorry I ruined your black panther party”
Type A engineer can’t let it go and corrects her, “actually it’s ‘I had a FIGHT in the MIDDLE of’...”
Not it’s not.
I remember ruined
I remember ruined
*I join in*- no it is fight guys
*Someone googles and corrects* It is fight. ZOMG Mandela effect!!!
What’s Mandela effect?
*Down that wormhole we go*
*Circle back to Forrest* Totally remember “ruined” y’all. That’s so trippy.
*Other engineer and I trying to hold back the tide.* what’s more likely? This misremembered quote from 25 damn years ago is much more interjected in casual conversation as “ruined” than “fight in the middle” so people use it incorrectly and misappropriate that memory in Gump’s voice in their heads. OR we entered a simulation since the early 90s and the idiots forgot to wipe the internet of facts?
Okay, but you can’t convince me it wasn’t The Berenstein bears!
It wasn’t! The damn creators name is Berenstain. We pronounced it “Berenstein” at my house too, but that doesn’t make it right.

//trivial annoyance

I’m sure 3-4 people on that call are currently explaining to their spouses how the fickleness of the human mind is proof that we’re all time travelers or something

2 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

It got brought up in an informal working conf call and diverted convo for 5-10mins.

Lady in bad Gump voice says “sorry I ruined your black panther party”
Type A engineer can’t let it go and corrects her, “actually it’s ‘I had a FIGHT in the MIDDLE of’...”
Not it’s not.
I remember ruined
I remember ruined
*I join in*- no it is fight guys
*Someone googles and corrects* It is fight. ZOMG Mandela effect!!!
What’s Mandela effect?
*Down that wormhole we go*
*Circle back to Forrest* Totally remember “ruined” y’all. That’s so trippy.
*Other engineer and I trying to hold back the tide.* what’s more likely? This misremembered quote from 25 damn years ago is much more interjected in casual conversation as “ruined” than “fight in the middle” so people use it incorrectly and misappropriate that memory in Gump’s voice in their heads. OR we entered a simulation since the early 90s and the idiots forgot to wipe the internet of facts?
Okay, but you can’t convince me it wasn’t The Berenstein bears!
It wasn’t! The damn creators name is Berenstain. We pronounced it “Berenstein” at my house too, but that doesn’t make it right.

//trivial annoyance

I’m sure 3-4 people on that call are currently explaining to their spouses how the fickleness of the human mind is proof that we’re all time travelers or something

PossibleDevotedDamselfly-size_restricted

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2020 at 9:30 PM, ztejas said:

The green piece of paper thin plastic cut to look like grass that comes with to-go sushi. Not to go all Jerry Seinfeld but what is that? 

I have always assumed that it's to keep certain things from touching each other, such as to prevent all individual rice rolls from congealing together into a single glob, or just to keep certain clashing flavors from comingling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/19/2020 at 5:12 PM, Macanudo said:

Because they pay like 30x more road use taxes?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 12:12 AM, Macanudo said:

They're not, in sensible jurisdictions

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Didn't see anyone proposing taking them off the road, just staying in the right lane... Particularly while going up an incline. This bullshit of pulling out just before an incline happens all the time on I40. I have to slow from 75ish (70 MPH) to 50-60 and now have a jackass in a jacked up truck 3 inches from my rear bumper while we go around the RV uphill.

Sorry to impede your tee-time while doing the work of the country...

What major inclines are on I-40 in Texas? The Georgia Street overpass in Amarillo?

18 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

So please don't value America’s  business over my personal convenience.

FIFY.    Sorry to be in the way.   You probably should avoid automobile travel due to your insecurities.

Edited by slorch

14 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You're from Texas right?

Do you believe in being polite? Holding a door for someone? General, you know, Texas things like that and maybe impeding folks travelling at a higher rate of speed to do so in the left lane? 

Or is that concept something they doesn't occur in West Texas similar to all the Californians and Yakees in Austin? 

If it's new to you, it's something that's done sometimes. I know it might seem odd, but there it is.

#Slorched

Lolz.  So you have nothing. Commercial truck drivers don’t belong on the road according to you or only on the sidewalk, lest they slow you  down a little bit. Never mind the fact that they are on the road all day every day. You just need to haul ass to get to your appointment, and they should be aware of your needs.

i’m all about clearing the left-hand lane if you’re not passing anybody. That applies to trucks as well.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

if you’re not passing anybody. That applies to trucks as well.

problem is when you get two trucks that are electronically governed to within .1 mph of each other and that pass takes 10 minutes. 

if you can't or won't go at least 5 mph (10 would be even better) faster than those in the right lane stay the fuck outta the left.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

problem is when you get two trucks that are electronically governed to within .1 mph of each other and that pass takes 10 minutes. 

if you can't or won't go at least 5 mph (10 would be even better) faster than those in the right lane stay the fuck outta the left.

just arm everyone with missiles.

I drove back from Denver on Saturday and truck traffic was very light on I-25.  4 wheel civilians were hogging the left lane like a motherfucker at 5mph or more under the speed limit.

I just get sick of everyone bitching about people making a living and busting their hump being the problem or making someone lift from the accelerator for a mile or two,  There's a shit ton of other people who have no fucking business operating a motor vehicle who are allowed to drive.

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

just arm everyone with missiles.

I drove back from Denver on Saturday and truck traffic was very light on I-25.  4 wheel civilians were hogging the left lane like a motherfucker at 5mph or more under the speed limit.

I just get sick of everyone bitching about people making a living and busting their hump being the problem or making someone lift from the accelerator for a mile or two,  There's a shit ton of other people who have no fucking business operating a motor vehicle who are allowed to drive.

and they all need to get the fuck out of the left lane too.

though i do get some pleasure when i move back into the right lane like i'm supposed to and pass all the morons camping in the left lane. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

something irks me about the phrase 'picking up pennies in front of a steamroller'.

i could live my life without having to ever hear or read that again

That’s the first time I’ve ever seen or heard that phrase. So thanks for that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

On 7/27/2020 at 6:07 PM, BurntEyes said:

You obviously completely ignored a big portion of my contention which was the over jacked, never seen off road, salt life, Browning and Monster energy stickered, 60 light having bubba truck driven by the Nashville living moron that will be tailgating at sub 6 feet while I wait for that truck to get around Elmer and his 1980s truck with a trailer that is 90% over his tongue weight.

So there I am, bubba behind, 18 wheeler in front and Elmer next to me with his wheels about to come off....

On a motorcycle.

drive better.  Especially on a death machine.  One of the 5 fundamentals of defensive driving is to leave yourself an out.  Back out of the throttle and get to safety.

Sorry for your plight, but you chose it too.

Edited by slorch

55 minutes ago, slorch said:

drive better.  Especially on a death machine.  One of the 5 fundamentals of defensive driving is to leave yourself an out.  Back out of the throttle and get to safety.

Sorry for your plight, but you chose it too.

Yep if you're on a bike you better be playing defensive driver with your head on a swivel. Nobody else is gonna look out for you, especially when they can't see you. I loved my bike, but wouldn't ride one today, mostly because of cell phones.

There are 2 kinds of bikes, those that have gone down, and those that will go down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

That's the entire fucking point clearly lost on both you and slorch.

Normally I can move faster than the follow of traffic to avoid having the truck ride my ass, but fuck tard trucker in the left lane going up hill removes that option.

But the one doing something that is a part of his soul. Enjoying his life, not effecting or hurting anyone. Enjoying a passion of life, is the one at fault. 

It's a shitty take on both your parts and you can both eat a bag of dicks.

This is what the fuck is wrong with this God damn country. 

You got issues brah get helpYou got issues bro get help

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

That's the entire fucking point clearly lost on both you and slorch.

Normally I can move faster than the follow of traffic to avoid having the truck ride my ass, but fuck tard trucker in the left lane going up hill removes that option.

But the one doing something that is a part of his soul. Enjoying his life, not effecting or hurting anyone. Enjoying a passion of life, is the one at fault. 

It's a shitty take on both your parts and you can both eat a bag of dicks.

This is what the fuck is wrong with this God damn country. 

This take is bad and you should feel bad.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Sending people (specifically smarty pants women) a turnkey bid to do work.  They accept after asking a myriad of questions which I answer to their satisfaction and then they sign on the dotted line.  We complete the work and invoice them per the contract.  Contract says "payment due upon completion" but payment is not made upon completion nor within a reasonable amount of time afterward.  Several weeks go by and a few phone calls are made with no answer by or return call from the customer.

Finally the customer answers the phone and is asked if there is a problem with making payment.

(now the fun stuff starts)

Customer (usually a  smarty pants woman):  Uh, yes,  I got your invoice.

Me: Is there a problem with the work?

Customer:  No. It looks great.  We couldn't be happier!

Me:  OK.  When can we excpet payment?

Customer:  Well.........I was looking at your invoice and I wanted to know why it is for so much money?  It seems too expensive.

Me:  The invoice is for the amount stated in and agreed to per contract and evidenced by your signature accepting the scope of work and the price.

Customer:  Well.....it still seems too expensive to me.

Me:  Then why did you accept and sign the contract then let us complete the work to your satisfaction and then complain about the price?

Customer: It just seems too expensive.  Can you "break it down for me?"  

Me:  "Break it down?"  What does that mean?

Customer:  You know...how much did the material cost, how much was the labor and how much did you make?

Me:  No. Pay me.

Customer:  I need to know how much you're making becuase this just seems too expensive.

Me:  <facepalm>

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Customer:  You know...how much did the material cost, how much was the labor and how much did you make?

Fuck every thing about that. I FUCKING HATE when customers do that.

I've worked hard to work with my vendors to supply materials that are good quality & negotiated prices based on volume, etc. It's none of your business what I pay.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Fuck every thing about that. I FUCKING HATE when customers do that.

I've worked hard to work with my vendors to supply materials that are good quality & negotiated prices based on volume, etc. It's none of your business what I pay.

Yep.  a bid is a bid, as long as quality of materials is part of the consideration for the customer.

If they're just being a pain in the ass like Deadshank's scenario, then fuck that.

Edited by slorch