Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Getting a piece of cauliflower stuck in my eye.

Dunno how it happened. Roasted cauliflower was on the menu, and while cutting it, a small speck made it past my glasses and got lodged into my eye. I've tried to wash it out with eye drops, but it's stuck under my eyelid. Hopefully it come out by itself... I've spent too much in hospitals the past few years - seizures, heart palpitations / crazy high BP, broken toe. Not going in for vegetable in my eye unless it starts rotting.

On 1/18/2021 at 3:07 PM, nnm said:

Closely associated with the idiot bicyclists that sometimes ride AGAINST traffic.

Walk against traffic, ride with traffic. This is not difficult. 

Could not be more wrong.

If I was a cyclist I would never ride with the traffic. All it takes is one phone texting moron to drift over onto the shoulder or into the bike lane to kill me.

I want to see what is coming.

I see these cyclist on Ronald Reagan Blvd north all of the time where the speed limit is 65 or 70 MPH and they have no idea what is coming up behind them. If they are riding against the traffic at least they have a chance to make a move.

19 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Could not be more wrong.

If I was a cyclist I would never ride with the traffic. All it takes is one phone texting moron to drift over onto the shoulder or into the bike lane to kill me.

I see these cyclist on Ronald Reagan Blvd north all of the time where the speed limit is 65 or 70 MPH and they have no idea what is coming up behind them. If they are riding against the traffic at least they have a chance to make a move.

You have never heard of mirrors?

• Like 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I thought I was going crazy.  I mean, I am.  But not because of Joe.  We've had that issue lately with their bacon.  We did BLT's last weekend and it was just a shitshow.  We've noticed several products that have had a change in taste/consistency/etc.  We're chalking it up to supply chain issues maybe.  Everything is still good from there, it's just...different.  

This bacon is magical and worth every damn penny. If anyone doesn’t like it, they are wrong and don’t deserve bacon. Will never go back to thin stuff if I have a choice.

Made bacon and egg breakfast tacos with this three times a week when I was back stateside recently.

c6c2c9342a8d22ac11526ded67a5b33a.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I rarely see any cyclist with mirrors on his bike.

That's because urban cyclists are entitled selfish pricks who expect everyone else to bear the responsibility for their personal safety. If they are concerned enough to break the law by driving their vehicle against tragic they should be concerned enough to install a ten dollar mirror.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I rarely see any cyclist with mirrors on his bike.

I have a mirror that clips to my helmet, and another that clips to my sunglasses. It’s not difficult. 

It’s also state law to ride with, and not against, traffic. 

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/transportation-code/transp-sect-551-103.html

Could not be more wrong.

So... and I can't believe I'm engaging you on this... do you actually think a cyclist would have time to take evasive action to avoid a car coming at them at 65-70 mph?
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Could not be more wrong.

If you're even on a road sharing it with 2 ton (or more), high speed vehicles you're a freaking idiot begging for a Darwin award.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Paco said:

So... and I can't believe I'm engaging you on this... do you actually think a cyclist would have time to take evasive action to avoid a car coming at them at 65-70 mph?

Probablt not but, they would have a much better chance seeing what is coming instead of a car coming from behind at 65 to 75 MPH they have no clue about.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This bacon is magical and worth every damn penny. If anyone doesn’t like it, they are wrong and don’t deserve bacon. Will never go back to thin stuff if I have a choice.

Made bacon and egg breakfast tacos with this three times a week when I was back stateside recently.

c6c2c9342a8d22ac11526ded67a5b33a.jpg

I’m sure I’d like that bacon. I’ve never had any bacon I didn’t like. And I love black pepper. I often add more to my food than many would probably care for. But I save my bacon grease and I wouldn’t want to save grease from peppered bacon, or bacon with a heavy addition of sugar like I’ve found at Trader Joe’s.

This is my bacon (and bacon grease) of choice:

5c130bad3d4daf04b26578a4_productdataa000

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 2:09 AM, Superhero said:

May not be trivial...

Bacon that's sliced SOOOO thin that it takes forever to separate the slices. By them time you separate them, the first slice is already burnt.

I don't mind thick sliced bacon, but the kids like their bacon kinda crispy. Trader Joe's used to have the perfect thickness, but they're getting thinner as well. 

Don't cook it in a pan, cook it in the oven. If you must be a weirdo and prefer thin sliced bacon, why not just separating them all before pan frying?

On 1/21/2021 at 8:20 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

Could not be more wrong.

spacer.png

I haven't been driving much so I haven't been keeping close track of gas prices, but today I stopped at a Valero to fill up and their 93 octane grade was $3.05/gallon. (My car actually does need premium.) Their 87 octane was $1.95.  So the premium was $1.10 more a gallon than regular. That's insane. I needed gas so I put a few gallons in, but I didn't fill up like I planned.

I've noticed this disturbing trend over time, of the premium grades everywhere being priced higher (relative to regular) but I've never seen a difference anywhere near a dollar a gallon. When I was a young man, it was a consistent rule of thumb that there would be a $0.10 difference between each grade--so if 87 was $1.29, 89 would be $1.39 and 93 would be $1.49. Why is there such a monster price difference between grades now?

Edited by Paper_jam

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Wat? 

Ignorance is bliss. 

8 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

I haven't been driving much so I haven't been keeping close track of gas prices, but today I stopped at a Valero to fill up and their 93 octane grade was $3.05/gallon. (My car actually does need premium.) Their 87 octane was $1.95.  So the premium was $1.10 more a gallon than regular. That's insane. I needed gas so I put a few gallons in, but I didn't fill up like I planned.

I've noticed this disturbing trend over time, of the premium grades everywhere being priced higher (relative to regular) but I've never seen a difference anywhere near a dollar a gallon. When I was a young man, it was a consistent rule of thumb that there would be a $0.10 difference between each grade--so if 87 was $1.29, 89 would be $1.39 and 93 would be $1.49. Why is there such a monster price difference between grades now?

This $1 premium (haha) is pretty much always the case in the Chicago area, and was also the case when I lived in Los Angeles a few years ago. 

While I'm at it I'd also like to bitch about how, especially in Texas, lots of back roads and secondary roads are "finished" with a shitty, rough chipseal surface that might as well be fucking gravel. The constant roaring noise and vibration on these roads is miserable on a long drive. If a road is worth paving, it's worth putting down some smooth asphalt or concrete.

16 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

While I'm at it I'd also like to bitch about how, especially in Texas, lots of back roads and secondary roads are "finished" with a shitty, rough chipseal surface that might as well be fucking gravel. The constant roaring noise and vibration on these roads is miserable on a long drive. If a road is worth paving, it's worth putting down some smooth asphalt or concrete.

This!  Chipseal must be pretty cheap, and it’s everywhere-loud and rough.  Some TxDot aggy needs a baseball bat upside the head........

1 hour ago, Horn Draoi said:

This!  Chipseal must be pretty cheap, and it’s everywhere-loud and rough.  Some TxDot aggy needs a baseball bat upside the head........

It is.  It's also fast and easy. All you need is a tack truck, a spreader and 1/4" rock. I worked for a paving contractor for several years. Chipseal is a life extension measure to save the surface and base coats. Think of it like retreading a tire.

Edited by RPM

On 1/22/2021 at 8:34 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m sure I’d like that bacon. I’ve never had any bacon I didn’t like. And I love black pepper. I often add more to my food than many would probably care for. But I save my bacon grease and I wouldn’t want to save grease from peppered bacon, or bacon with a heavy addition of sugar like I’ve found at Trader Joe’s.

This is my bacon (and bacon grease) of choice:

5c130bad3d4daf04b26578a4_productdataa000

We get that at Costco

That’s what we do - on a foil-covered cookie sheet pan at 375 for about 20 minutes (turning it once). Then drain on paper towels.  Blows thin sliced away.

Thick slices, about 18-20 mins at 425, no turning. But here’s the key - start with a cold oven. That brings the bacon up to heat more slowly and more efficiently renders the fat. I just did a batch for brunch, it was perfect.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, RPM said:

It is.  It's also fast and easy. All you need is a tack truck, a spreader and 1/4" rock. I worked for a paving contractor for several years. Chipseal is a life extension measure to save the surface and base coats. Think of it like retreading a tire.

It is still a shitty surface to deal with.

Our Brushy Creek MUD streets were coated with that stuff about 10 years ago. Took several years for the loose rock to get packed in (even after several sessions of sweeper machines over the next few months).

My brother who lives in an “upscale” neighborhood near Georgetown made fun of the cheap chipseal, but a couple of years later his streets got the same treatment. Got a bit of schadenfreude out of that.

Edited by Armybrat

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Thick slices, about 18-20 mins at 425, no turning. But here’s the key - start with a cold oven. That brings the bacon up to heat more slowly and more efficiently renders the fat. I just did a batch for brunch, it was perfect.

Will pass that on to her.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

my man. this is how I do it. I sometime put it in a ceramic baking dish lined with foil b/c it's easier to clean up than the cookie sheet depending on how much your cooking.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Cooling rack or no? 

• Hook 'Em 1

A lot of factors go into the price increase, but I agree it has gotten out of hand. It also pisses me off that many stations don't show the price of premium on their sign so you don't know until you commit and are already at the pump.

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

Cooling rack or no? 

When I do my bourban bacon I use a cooling rack on the pan during the baking.

Jalapenos.  WTF?  The ones in bulk at my HEB look more like Poblanos.   It would take a case of cream cheese and a side of bacon to wrap 'em.   Kinda a PITA to dig out the smaller ones but I'll continue to dig 'em out.  

17 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Himalayan Pink Salt.  Why must salting my food be a two handed operation?

My FIL is full of crazy dietary bullshit, that I could go on and on about, but my personal favorite is his contention that "regular" salt like Morton's actually doesn't provide any dietary benefit.  According to him the salt in that salt isn't really salt because it's "processed".  So I guess most of the population isn't getting enough salt in their diet because they are eating fake salt.

• Fuck You 1