Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

On 3/4/2021 at 10:18 PM, clapclapclap said:

If elected president, I will, by executive order, correct the sloppy and often incorrect naming of our nation's rivers.  Every river shall take the name of their largest contributor by volume, tracing all the way back to the source. 

So no more nonsense like the Ohio starting at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela in Pittsburgh (Three Two Rivers Stadium) and ending at Cairo, IL, despite it delivering more water there than the Mississippi.  The Ohio will flow from northern PA, through southwestern NY, and all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.  I take no official position on if the state of Mississippi must rename itself, though I'd encourage it. 

The Tennessee River shall run through Asheville.  A name change was already due, 'French Broad River' is offensive these days.

Our children will be wiser and better for it, and more efficient in not having to waste time wading through Wikipedia searching for aquatic truths.

Under your maniacal scheme, our southern border will become the Rio Concho.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:56 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

The son was at Lackland, and said he'd never seen worse driving in his life. Tailgating,  15-25 over MPH speeding regularly, and sudden lane changes, terrible no on ramp lanes made for even worse habits, and road rage incidents.

you can thank aggy for that one. TXDOT is basically an aggy engineer work program.

On 3/3/2021 at 10:11 AM, castolon said:

Yes this is my fault for getting on nextdoor, but how many god damn suspicious people can there be in fucking Telfair. It's Sugar Land. God damn. 

Next door has convinced me that most people should not have pets. Lost dogs, lost cats, whose dog is this? It’s way too much for some people to handle animals correctly 

• Hook 'Em 1

"You know what they say about our state (insert state), wait 15 minutes and the weather will change."

Yea, Texas and California and New York and Wisconsin and Florida sometimes drop 20 degrees in 2 hours and all the sudden it snows. Or it is sunny and starts raining.

Thats called weather on the planet called earth. It has nothing to do with political boundaries. Fok those 28 iq people who think they have extreme weather in their state.
Fucking this. Weather changes. All the time. It's not just a Texas thing as when it happens, all I see is "only in Texas"
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
On 2/27/2021 at 9:10 PM, markstanco said:
"You know what they say about our state (insert state), wait 15 minutes and the weather will change."

Yea, Texas and California and New York and Wisconsin and Florida sometimes drop 20 degrees in 2 hours and all the sudden it snows. Or it is sunny and starts raining.

Thats called weather on the planet called earth. It has nothing to do with political boundaries. Fok those 28 iq people who think they have extreme weather in their state.

Fucking this. Weather changes. All the time. It's not just a Texas thing as when it happens, all I see is "only in Texas"

This makes me rage as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
On 2/27/2021 at 7:10 PM, markstanco said:

But not in southern California. Weather changes so slowly here. Sunshine today, sunshine tomorrow, some Santa Ana winds, may be some clouds on Wednesday, and a sprinkling of rain on Friday. I wish we had seasons, and some rain between the months of April through November.

3 minutes ago, Superhero said:

But not in southern California. Weather changes so slowly here. Sunshine today, sunshine tomorrow, some Santa Ana winds, may be some clouds on Wednesday, and a sprinkling of rain on Friday. I wish we had seasons, and some rain between the months of April through November.

What about mudslide season and fire scorched earth seasons?

2 places I've seen major weather pattern changes you could measure in 10-15 minute increments:

Jackson Hole in late April.  Cloudy, windy cold, to sunny and a warm 50 or so in a 10 minute span, then it clouded back up, and rained, and then it got windy again, temp dropped, and it started snowing/sleeting all within about a half hour period.

Ireland on the southwestern coast:  sunny, warm, cloudy, rainy, windy, sunny, warm, cloudy, windy, rainy... all in about 15 minute cycles.

On 3/4/2021 at 10:18 PM, clapclapclap said:

If elected president, I will, by executive order, correct the sloppy and often incorrect naming of our nation's rivers.  Every river shall take the name of their largest contributor by volume, tracing all the way back to the source. 

So no more nonsense like the Ohio starting at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela in Pittsburgh (Three Two Rivers Stadium) and ending at Cairo, IL, despite it delivering more water there than the Mississippi.  The Ohio will flow from northern PA, through southwestern NY, and all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.  I take no official position on if the state of Mississippi must rename itself, though I'd encourage it. 

The Tennessee River shall run through Asheville.  A name change was already due, 'French Broad River' is offensive these days.

Our children will be wiser and better for it, and more efficient in not having to waste time wading through Wikipedia searching for aquatic truths.

Can you add:  A name can only be used with 1 river?  A Colorado River in Arizona and Texas is confusing to those that don't understand the Continental Divide.  By your executive order, the river that runs through Austin would be called the Texas River or, better yet, Rio de Tejas.

No one in my household can grasp a simple procedure with the Apple TV remote. Pick what you want to watch, press play, put it back in the little sliding drawer under the coffee table.  It will always be there when you need it, even if you need to pause your show!  It will be there for anyone who wants it later! When you are done watching tv—- yep, back in the drawer. It never needs to be anywhere else. 

It does not need to go to the kitchen, it does not need to go to anyone’s room, you don’t need to put it next to you on the couch where it can fall in between sofa cushions and then I have to look for it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Web programs that are SLOW AS SHIT. I have to use this program for schedules, milestones, work loads, etc. Every time I make one small update, it spins for a few seconds. We've complained to them for a few years and they keep promising it'll get better. I think the program in itself is decent, but I hate using it.

My first post in this thread and I have not read the thread in its entirety so apologies if already covered but:

I collect WW2 memorabilia so I am always going to flea markets, antique shops, and militaria/gun shows.  When I ask how much that they will take for something they give me a number.  I usually counter unless I know that we are too far apart on the deal.  When I do give a counter they go into full-mode selling speech describing what I am looking at and how "rare" it is and its inherent value.

18 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

My first post in this thread and I have not read the thread in its entirety so apologies if already covered but:

I collect WW2 memorabilia so I am always going to flea markets, antique shops, and militaria/gun shows.  When I ask how much that they will take for something they give me a number.  I usually counter unless I know that we are too far apart on the deal.  When I do give a counter they go into full-mode selling speech describing what I am looking at and how "rare" it is and its inherent value.

Haggling.... how does it work ?  That, and those collectors usually have a more personal attachment to their collection than just some guy peddling vacuum cleaners.  I've seen the same thing with the civl war collectors.

24 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’ve probably already mentioned this, but I think it’s worth say again:

If you are an American and you are obsessed with the British royal family, you should walk into traffic. Loser.

Why ?  I mean I don't get it either, but everybody has their thing snek man.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

I'm selling IKEA shelving on FB Marketplace. I listed for $30, and some guy is offering me $27...

Sorry bud, I'm not making change for your $10.

Edited by Superhero
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’ve probably already mentioned this, but I think it’s worth say again:

If you are an American and you are obsessed with the British royal family, you should walk into traffic. Loser.

Not a fan of the Royals but I was in London a few years ago and I was able to observe "Trooping the Colo(u)r" Birthday Parade for the Queen.  It was pretty neat to see the Welsh Guards, Grenadier Guards, Scots Guards and the Coldstream Guards, along with the Royal Family and other dignitaries in all of their regalia parade down the avenue leading from Buckingham Palace.

Yet another weather related / I live here post.

Talking to a customer today in alaska, he was asking about the snow storm. Always being a one upper, he claims that is a daily occurrence. Whatever.

Anyhow I tell him I would love to live up there but the winters would be brutal and possibly depressing. His response?

"When you come up here you either stay or leave"

Seems like a response that dirtbike would say now that I think about it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2021 at 10:50 PM, markstanco said:
On 2/2/2021 at 1:34 PM, Lobo said:
Same way I feel about people think that Tampa Bay is a city.  It’s not.  It’s a body of water. 

I tell you one thing that really drives me nuts, is people who think that Jethro Tull is just a person in a band.

I had someone years ago ask me which one was "Lynyrd"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This.

And also, fuck apple for making such a shitty remote. I want buttons, not slide bars of doom.

Yesterday my wife somehow turned on Polish voiceover (because she broke the cardinal rule-- press play, put the remote back where it belongs) while either sitting on or fiddling with the remote. She couldn't figure out how to turn it off. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

When you have to wake up earlier than usual and so your pre-shower shit isn't ready yet. 

Especially so if you are up early to start a road trip. Now you have to stop somewhere to shit or just go until you get to your destination and use the bathroom that you purchased. I'm not gonna shit in some roadside dump that the masses use. Fuck that shit.

• Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I had someone years ago ask me which one was "Lynyrd"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooder_Graw

eta: not at the link but I asked these guys ^ once in jest "which one is Cooder?" and they told me the band name derived from such a question when they were going by Coup de Grace.

Edited by GringoSalado
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Especially so if you are up early to start a road trip. Now you have to stop somewhere to shit or just go until you get to your destination and use the bathroom that you purchased. I'm not gonna shit in some roadside dump that the masses use. Fuck that shit.

You find a half decent hotel along the trip and use the lobby bathroom, especially if it's still mid-morning since they would have already cleaned it thoroughly.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

This happened to me yesterday, but it also seems to happen 1-2x a year:

I guess due to weather change or atmospheric pressure or something I should obviously know but don't, when it goes from 0 degrees to 80 degrees in the span of 3 days or visa versa, some of the air pressure in my tires get lower. 

Happens in the truck, the Tahoe, whatever vehicle I've ever had.

Anyways the last few years I will get alerted via the TPS or whatever on my dashboard with a readout of the 4 tires. e.g. Front Driver side is at 40 psi, left is at 31 and is in red and needs air, etc.

I go to pump the tire and it's invariably the wrong one. I guess when you get your tires rotated the TPS isn't smart enough to recalibrate and you can't really eyeball a small delta in PSI between tires, so I'm stuck at QT trying to air up all the tires and see which one is the one that needed it because the Firestone wait is a million years, and I get black/grease all over my slacks and my Patagonia, and....well, now I'm worked up. I need some time.

When. People. Type. A. Statement. Like. This. In. An. Attempt. To. Emphasize. Importance.

What are you, a columnist for Teen Vogue? In a conversation, would you make that statement in some bizarre Captain Kirk-style pattern of speech?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1