Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

When a restaurant that offers carry out and/or delivery doesn't have a paper menu to take with you. 

I like to try new places, but if a new restaurant doesn't have a paper menu I can add to my collection, that food better be fucking remarkable if you ever want me to return after my initial visit. 

"Oh, it's on our website." Fuck you - you have a shitty interface from some unknown delivery app that's impossible to navigate on a phone, and I sure as shit am not going to gather the family around the desktop to figure out a lunch order. 

Make it easy for me to give you my money, or else I won't. 

Maybe I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I really get the feeling that many restaurants have no idea what a deal breaker this can be. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

When a restaurant that offers carry out and/or delivery doesn't have a paper menu to take with you. 

I like to try new places, but if a new restaurant doesn't have a paper menu I can add to my collection, that food better be fucking remarkable if you ever want me to return after my initial visit. 

"Oh, it's on our website." Fuck you - you have a shitty interface from some unknown delivery app that's impossible to navigate on a phone, and I sure as shit am not going to gather the family around the desktop to figure out a lunch order. 

Maybe I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I really get the feeling that many restaurants have no idea what a deal breaker this can be. 

The digitization of everything is irritating. Literally last night I was trying to find a picture of a menu and just kept getting linked to the website's menu that's listed across 5 different pages on their site - which has a copyright date of 2016. 

On 7/22/2021 at 11:53 PM, elfenix said:

check bios or the manufacturer's settings app, you might be able to flip that so function key is needed to do the alternate functions and make the standard F keys the default.

Yeah I was about to say... you should be able to flip that. On some computers there's literally a toggle on the keyboard. If not, I bet there's a setting for it without having to go into bios. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

We have a menu drawer that is struggling to take the length since COVID hit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

That’s a good one. If I see a new restaurant, I’ll stop in just to pick up a take out menu for future reference. I have a whole list of favorite restaurants for which I have two menus each. One set is in a drawer in my kitchen. The other set is in my car in case I decide to order carry out while I’m away from home. I’ve gotten the “Check our website” response before but I’ve forgotten who said it and never dined there. It’s a competitive industry and I have a lot of options. Do yourself a favor and make it easy for me. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

We have a menu drawer that is struggling to take the length since COVID hit.

I still have some menus from favorite restaurants that went out of business long ago that I keep just for nostalgia. Sometimes I’ll look at them and, thinking back, it makes me sad. But I can’t bring myself to throw them away.

Harold’s Cajun Glory ruled. At a previous location it was called Gloria Kitchen and they used to have a crawfish boil out in the parking lot every spring. Then Harold passed and his wife Gloria and their son ran it for awhile and then just decided to close up shop. I used to eat there practically once a week. Man, I miss that place. 

47 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

When you see Olympic Beach volleyball on the guide. And it's men's beach volleyball.....

I don’t think this was related to the Olympics. I just saw a headline and a photo but didn’t click through. It was at the BBC website. But it mentioned some women’s beach volleyball team that got fined for not wearing bikini bottoms. I think that’s awesome. 

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t think this was related to the Olympics. I just saw a headline and a photo but didn’t click through. It was at the BBC website. But it mentioned some women’s beach volleyball team that got fined for not wearing bikini bottoms. I think that’s awesome. 

Wait so they were playing bottomless?

57 minutes ago, nnm said:

This has been covered. Any of us who have had advanced driver training, particularly in the energy industry, know it’s by far the safest way to park, particularly in crowded places like a school, grocery store, or strip mall. You visually “clear” the parking space as you drive across it, knowing it’s safe to back into. Then your first move is forward on exit, knowing you’ve visually cleared the forward space as you walked up to it. 

It doesn’t delay parking lot traffic any more than Karen making a 6-point turn backing her Excursion out when she’s leaving. Why does it irritate you when people are parking, but not when it’s the same delay when they’re leaving?

When I was a kid, my cousin backed over her toddler as she backed out of the garage. Completely preventable by backing in. I park so my first move is forward whenever possible. 

Anecdotal evidence isn’t a valid argument. She could have just as easily backed over her unsupervised toddler backing into her garage. (Just how wide was her driveway, anyway?)

I’m guessing that about 80% of the advocates for backing into a parking space aren’t as good at it as they think they are. The parking space you’re backing into is a lot smaller than the parking lot you’d be backing into if you just pulled into the parking spot head first. So in most cases it’s not more efficient at all. And again, most of you aren’t as good at backing in as you think you are. I did see a guy back his work truck into a spot perfectly not too long ago and I took the time to compliment him on it and told him most people can’t do that.

One time I’ll always back into a spot is if I’m parking in a parking garage for some event like a concert or football game where everybody is going to be leaving at the same time. It’s a lot easier to head out into a long line of traffic than to back into it. You just need one person to stop next to you to give you room to pull out. If you’re backing out then you need someone two car lengths back to see you and stop to give you room. And yeah, I can back into a spot just fine and I don’t need a camera. I know my car and know how to use my mirrors. It’s just not as efficient nor the time saver that some people think it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, ztejas said:

The digitization of everything is irritating. Literally last night I was trying to find a picture of a menu and just kept getting linked to the website's menu that's listed across 5 different pages on their site - which has a copyright date of 2016. 

I was in Wyoming a few weeks ago and had dinner at a restaurant fashioned out of an old pharmacy. It was really neat. They sat us down and came back 5 minutes later to ask us what we wanted. No one gave us a menu. They said the menu was on the table in the form of a QR code! Never seen that in Dallas but apparently that's a thing in Wyoming. 

3 hours ago, nnm said:

This has been covered. Any of us who have had advanced driver training, particularly in the energy industry, know it’s by far the safest way to park, particularly in crowded places like a school, grocery store, or strip mall. You visually “clear” the parking space as you drive across it, knowing it’s safe to back into. Then your first move is forward on exit, knowing you’ve visually cleared the forward space as you walked up to it. 

It doesn’t delay parking lot traffic any more than Karen making a 6-point turn backing her Excursion out when she’s leaving. Why does it irritate you when people are parking, but not when it’s the same delay when they’re leaving?

When I was a kid, my cousin backed over her toddler as she backed out of the garage. Completely preventable by backing in. I park so my first move is forward whenever possible. 

Backing in is the way to park. Not only for the safety aspect of it but also because it is easier to maneuver when the steered wheels are in the back. The only issue I have is when I am driving in a parking lot and am being tailgated. When I see a spot to park, I turn my blinker on and drive just past the spot. Many times the person behind me cannot grasp what I am trying to do and stays on my butt. Once I start to back up they figure it out (usually).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

When you unwrap a Swiss roll and all the chocolate sticks to the plastic 

You gotta see your urologist about that man.  She sounds nice though.  ;)

Backing in is the way to park. Not only for the safety aspect of it but also because it is easier to maneuver when the steered wheels are in the back. The only issue I have is when I am driving in a parking lot and am being tailgated. When I see a spot to park, I turn my blinker on and drive just past the spot. Many times the person behind me cannot grasp what I am trying to do and stays on my butt. Once I start to back up they figure it out (usually).

#Team Back In

It's the easiest way to egress especially if you are in a hurry. The only time I nose in is if it's a quick stop at 7-11 or ordering at Sonic.

Edited by RPM
Quoted wrong post
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I was in Wyoming a few weeks ago and had dinner at a restaurant fashioned out of an old pharmacy. It was really neat. They sat us down and came back 5 minutes later to ask us what we wanted. No one gave us a menu. They said the menu was on the table in the form of a QR code! Never seen that in Dallas but apparently that's a thing in Wyoming. 

“I’ll have the codeine.”

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The parking space you’re backing into is a lot smaller than the parking lot you’d be backing into if you just pulled into the parking spot head first. So in most cases it’s not more efficient at all.

This. Backing out into empty space is way easier than backing into a tight parking space. 

Also - which was conveniently glossed over - is that everyone has backup cams now. So if you do something like back into another car or kill a toddler you're probably drunk or a moron. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

This. Backing out into empty space is way easier than backing into a tight parking space. 

Also - which was conveniently glossed over - is that everyone has backup cams now. So if you do something like back into another car or kill a toddler you're probably drunk or a moron. 

Apparently I'm the poors, driving a 2004 Ram (pre camera days).

Also, when backing in you have your side mirrors to guide you to an even spacing, whether viewing the car on the passenger side or looking @ the parking stripes.  Can't get that with forward parking - the visuals are usually off a bit on the pull in part when looking to the passenger side.

This is 100% settled caselaw for Shag² / Surly / etc.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Fuck all people who back into parking spots.  Especially you small penis people with jacked up trucks and a two foot hitch with the fresh paint still on it.

& A hearty "Fuck you in return", goodsir.  I have practical & logical reasons for driving a lifted (not "jacked up") truck & there is no paint on my hitch.  Team reverse parking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Not trivial, but definitely makes me surly.  Guy that tries to make a left turn, unprotected across 4 lanes of traffic, screwing over the dozens of other cars going the right way.  Make a right and bust a u-turn fella.  

You misspelled “woman” and “lady.”

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Not trivial, but definitely makes me surly.  Guy that tries to make a left turn, unprotected across 4 lanes of traffic, screwing over the dozens of other cars going the right way.  Make a right and bust a u-turn fella.  

Also - people that make a turn into the middle turn lane before merging. Drives me up the wall - and you'd be shocked at how many people do it (actually, you probably wouldn't). 

I can't think of a more dangerous maneuver that I see pulled off regularly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Also - people that make a turn into the middle turn lane before merging. Drives me up the wall - and you'd be shocked at how many people do it (actually, you probably wouldn't). 

And how about those that can't stay in their damn lane when they turn?  Here in California, there are roads with three turn lanes.  Scary as fuck sometimes.

6 minutes ago, nnm said:

You misspelled “woman” and “lady.”

Men are just as bad here.

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Fucking this. When did the center lane turn into an onramp? Shit's illegal.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:56 PM, ztejas said:

People that back into parking spots.

Why? What are you doing? I know you have a backup cam - you're driving a 2017 hatchback.

My industry basically forces everyone to do this no matter what company you work for.  I went to a service company's office for a meeting and purposely parked in the lot across the street from their building just so I didn't have to reverse-park.  It was my mark of defiance for the week.

ratm.jpg.8bcc0efa251b39e7e86c0f9329d26aae.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Saw someone yesterday literally stop in the middle of I-10 so they could cut across two lanes of traffic and make their exit. A semi damn near plowed them into Bolivia. They had their turn signal on though so all good.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

I get this is controversial and people on NextDoor are always yelling at each other and posting images from the traffic code ... but I don't get why people turning left across a divided intersection suddenly go British and pull into the left lane of the median. If an oncoming car is turning left then you're basically blocking each other's views of oncoming traffic. Add the complexity of what if someone is attempting to go straight in the perpendicular direction ... where the fuck is that car supposed to go? As I said, I get the traffic laws seem to diverge based on the width of the median, but who the fuck can get out and measure in traffic (much less carries a measuring tape to do so). There probably is a reason but it seems illogical vs. pulling across into the right lane of the median so you have a clear view of oncoming traffic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Obviously traffic makes me surly ... why are Texas highway intersections constantly designed so that the entrance onto the highway is 100 feet in front of the exit from the highway so entering and exiting traffic have to cross - especially dangerous when entering traffic should be accelerating and exiting traffic should be decelerating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I get this is controversial and people on NextDoor are always yelling at each other and posting images from the traffic code ... but I don't get why people turning left across a divided intersection suddenly go British and pull into the left lane of the median. If an oncoming car is turning left then you're basically blocking each other's views of oncoming traffic. Add the complexity of what if someone is attempting to go straight in the perpendicular direction ... where the fuck is that car supposed to go? As I said, I get the traffic laws seem to diverge based on the width of the median, but who the fuck can get out and measure in traffic (much less carries a measuring tape to do so). There probably is a reason but it seems illogical vs. pulling across into the right lane of the median so you have a clear view of oncoming traffic.

when the median is wider than a car length and yet people only pull halfway into it leaving their rear half still stuck in the lane while they've got 12' in front of them to work with

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Yep, fucking drive past the oncoming car so they, and you can see the oncoming traffic.  Driving school should be where this basic skill is learned. I don't think they teach anything other than the absolute basic skills now, none of the courtesy stuff.

The first, second, and third driving school rule should be: stay in the right hand lane as much as you can, and only use the left if your passing slower moving vehicles.

And ..... gott damn you have a turn signal, use it... common courtesy is fast becoming a thing of the past.

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep, fucking drive past the oncoming car so they, and you can see the oncoming traffic.  Driving school should be where this basic skill is learned. I don't think they teach anything other than the absolute basic skills now, none of the courtesy stuff.

The first, second, and third driving school rule should be: stay in the right hand lane as much as you can, and only use the left if your passing slower moving vehicles.

And ..... gott damn you have a turn signal, use it... common courtesy is fast becoming a thing of the past.

You don’t even have to go to driving school to get a license in Texas anymore. 
And I think turn signals are not actually installed in BMWs, and they are taken out as part of the package when an F250 is lifted and equipped with oversized tires. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/22/2021 at 8:51 AM, Mach 1 said:

Negative Ghost Rider.  I'm 190 lbs of twisted steel.  That Oreo will be burned off with two seconds of karate moves in my home dojo.

I'm a kick ass guy IRL, just ask my super cool friends.

What's the money line on you vs a pit bull?  Not Jason Kidd's twin brother Pitbull... 

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2021 at 4:35 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

NowThis??  

On 7/25/2021 at 7:11 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Anecdotal evidence isn’t a valid argument. She could have just as easily backed over her unsupervised toddler backing into her garage. (Just how wide was her driveway, anyway?)

I’m guessing that about 80% of the advocates for backing into a parking space aren’t as good at it as they think they are. The parking space you’re backing into is a lot smaller than the parking lot you’d be backing into if you just pulled into the parking spot head first. So in most cases it’s not more efficient at all. And again, most of you aren’t as good at backing in as you think you are. I did see a guy back his work truck into a spot perfectly not too long ago and I took the time to compliment him on it and told him most people can’t do that.

One time I’ll always back into a spot is if I’m parking in a parking garage for some event like a concert or football game where everybody is going to be leaving at the same time. It’s a lot easier to head out into a long line of traffic than to back into it. You just need one person to stop next to you to give you room to pull out. If you’re backing out then you need someone two car lengths back to see you and stop to give you room. And yeah, I can back into a spot just fine and I don’t need a camera. I know my car and know how to use my mirrors. It’s just not as efficient nor the time saver that some people think it is. 

Know how I know you don't drive a truck...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

GDit, thank you.  

We lose power quite often in my neck of the woods and traffic lights go out but yet people don't seem to know that you're to treat these outages like a stop sign and just barrel through the intersection like they have a green light.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, Underdog said:

GDit, thank you.  

We lose power quite often in my neck of the woods and traffic lights go out but yet people don't seem to know that you're to treat these outages like a stop sign and just barrel through the intersection like they have a green light.  

And the motherfuckers who stop at a blinking yellow light. You're going to kill someone. Stop.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

And the motherfuckers who stop at a blinking yellow light. You're going to kill someone. Stop.

This and people that come to a stop at a Yield sign.  There is one near my house with an unobstructive view and folks stop at it about 80% of the time.

• Hook 'Em 1