Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

13 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Obviously traffic makes me surly ... why are Texas highway intersections constantly designed so that the entrance onto the highway is 100 feet in front of the exit from the highway so entering and exiting traffic have to cross - especially dangerous when entering traffic should be accelerating and exiting traffic should be decelerating. 

Here in Pennsylvania, on and exit ramps are very often shared and very often a mere 50’. 

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Know how I know you don't drive a truck...

Proud to say I don’t. Also, I saw an update and it was a handball team, not a volleyball team. And I’m still in favor of female athletes wearing bikini bottoms instead of long shorts.

Also, I still know that many of you back-in advocates are fucking it up. Think of me every time you pull forward and reset yourself backing in to your spot. What you should do is look for two empty opposing spots where you can head through one and park in the other so you’ll be in position to pull out head first when you’re ready to leave. (Obviously that doesn’t apply if you’re driving a sixteen wheeler and backing it up to the loading dock at a warehouse so if that’s what you’re talking about then we’re speaking separate languages.)

But yeah, I drive a car. A sedan. I can see where I am and where I’m going. There are white lights on the back of my car that light up when I’m in reverse so people know that I’m backing up. (No beeping.) I start up slowly at first to make sure no one is in my way and then...VROOOM! I’m off. In the parking lots of grocery stores, shopping centers, and office buildings, backing in just doesn’t make sense. 

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

For the 5th day in a row I came home to find one of these in my yard in the exact same spot.  I’m considering taking the day off tomorrow to sit by my window with a 9mm. Fuck you you piece of shit cunt bag motherfucking douchebag.

FA576BA7-4F09-4AC1-8FDD-C600612A4E83.jpeg

Fuck that. I’d be willing to testify that you were with me the whole time and couldn’t have shot that asshole.

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Proud to say I don’t. Also, I saw an update and it was a handball team, not a volleyball team. And I’m still in favor of female athletes wearing bikini bottoms instead of long shorts.

Also, I still know that many of you back-in advocates are fucking it up. Think of me every time you pull forward and reset yourself backing in to your spot. What you should do is look for two empty opposing spots where you can head through one and park in the other so you’ll be in position to pull out head first when you’re ready to leave. (Obviously that doesn’t apply if you’re driving a sixteen wheeler and backing it up to the loading dock at a warehouse so if that’s what you’re talking about then we’re speaking separate languages.)

But yeah, I drive a car. A sedan. I can see where I am and where I’m going. There are white lights on the back of my car that light up when I’m in reverse so people know that I’m backing up. (No beeping.) I start up slowly at first to make sure no one is in my way and then...VROOOM! I’m off. In the parking lots of grocery stores, shopping centers, and office buildings, backing in just doesn’t make sense. 

You’re wrong. Objectively, simply wrong. Google “first move forward parking.”  All of the safety groups conclude its by far the safest way to park.

Linked below are a couple, and take your pick on any of the others you can find with a simple search. 
I don’t expect to change your mind. Objective facts, studies should, but probably won’t, affect your subjective conclusion. 

https://www.usafireprotectioninc.com/blog/2018/09/why-reverse-parking-or-forward-first-parking-is-safer/

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/12/10/youre-doing-it-wrong-aaa-says-majority-of-drivers-park-incorrectly-in-parking-lots/

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

This and people that come to a stop at a Yield sign.  There is one near my house with an unobstructive view and folks stop at it about 80% of the time.

The notion of "yielding" is that there is the possibility of someone coming from the intersection direction... so OCCASIONALLY someone DOES have to actually stop.

21 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

And the motherfuckers who stop at a blinking yellow light. You're going to kill someone. Stop.

The notion of the blinking yellow light is that there is the possibility of someone coming from the intersection direction... so OCCASIONALLY someone DOES have to actually stop.

2 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

The notion of the blinking yellow light is that there is the possibility of someone coming from the intersection direction... so OCCASIONALLY someone DOES have to actually stop.

Sure, proceed with caution. But if you are on a 4 lane road with a 4 way intersection, anyone who stops at a yellow light and "invites" others to come into the intersection is asking for someone to get plowed.

5 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

The notion of "yielding" is that there is the possibility of someone coming from the intersection direction... so OCCASIONALLY someone DOES have to actually stop.

The point of my brief description is that most people still stop at that Yield sign even when there is no one else present.

My contractor is at a standstill because the cabinet maker is behind, and the tile store doesn't have the tile I picked out 1.5 months ago in stock.

It's been 12 days working days since the renovation started, but they've only actually shown up 9 of the days.

I need my got damn kitchen back. Don't care if the cabinet doors aren't complete. I just want my sink and cooktop so I can stop getting take-out every single freakin' day.

4 hours ago, Superhero said:

My contractor is at a standstill because the cabinet maker is behind, and the tile store doesn't have the tile I picked out 1.5 months ago in stock.

It's been 12 days working days since the renovation started, but they've only actually shown up 9 of the days.

I need my got damn kitchen back. Don't care if the cabinet doors aren't complete. I just want my sink and cooktop so I can stop getting take-out every single freakin' day.

Do you even critical path sir ???

On 7/28/2021 at 11:49 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, all that...and you probably still can't back out without using the backup camera...

Still one of the most idiotic add-ons ever to a vehicle.  Lots a side scrapes and busted side mirrors out there on these newer vehicles because the back-up cams make the drivers incredibly overconfident/ unobservant.

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

My kitchen was torn out on April 19. I met with the contractor yesterday. The cabinets might be put in on Monday. August 2. We might, possibly, maybe, could, be in the house for the beginning of September. 

13 hours ago, nnm said:

My kitchen was torn out on April 19. I met with the contractor yesterday. The cabinets might be put in on Monday. August 2. We might, possibly, maybe, could, be in the house for the beginning of September. 

Is this a consequence of Covid fucking the supply chain or is this just general contracting shit in general?  No way I’m redoing anything if this is normal. I’ll just sell the house. 

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

I've never done a major home reno, but I'm pretty sure Covid is making it worse than usual. Deadshank would know more about how things are going.

It can be done.  New appliances are tough to acquire.  Trim lumber for millwork and cabinetry is not a problem. 

nnm’s builder or subs may be having other problems 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is this a consequence of Covid fucking the supply chain or is this just general contracting shit in general?  No way I’m redoing anything if this is normal. I’ll just sell the house. 

Supply chain and overheated market in ETX. Subs are booked six ways from Sunday. Contractor is an awesome guy, but he’s herding cats that have their pick of jobs. A relatively small job isn’t high on their lists. A sub would rather work on a continuous job like a subdivision development. 
For us it’s not small—we sold our Katy house and moved to the lake house in ETX. But to make it a main residence, it needed a new kitchen, new floors throughout, and new master bath. And a bunch of new windows and doors. It’s a mess. 

• Rage+1 1

Everyone here says they are masters of back-in parking.

Yet every person who I see backing into a space takes 47 moves and 20 minutes to complete the task, gumming up the entire lane of the parking lot the whole time, so we get to sit there and wait while they spend 20 minutes to save 10 seconds when it comes time to leave.

If people were competent at back-in parking, it wouldn’t be an issue.

I’ve seen at most a handful of competent back-in parkers m entire life. I’ve seen hundreds of clowns who fuck over the rest of us.

Park. When you leave, back out of the space carefully and quickly. Shift into forward gear, and go. It’s super easy. I do it all the time, and have never fucked over people for 20 minutes while I back in.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, nnm said:

Supply chain and overheated market in ETX. Subs are booked six ways from Sunday. Contractor is an awesome guy, but he’s herding cats that have their pick of jobs. A relatively small job isn’t high on their lists. A sub would rather work on a continuous job like a subdivision development. 
For us it’s not small—we sold our Katy house and moved to the lake house in ETX. But to make it a main residence, it needed a new kitchen, new floors throughout, and new master bath. And a bunch of new windows and doors. It’s a mess. 

That fucking blows man. That’s not a small job. I have been wanting to redo my backyard, but haven’t even been able to get anyone to come out and give an estimate. Are we all supposed to get second jobs as DIY contractors?  I’m at a point in my life where I can afford to pay people for that shit and now no one wants the job. God dammit. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If people were competent at back-in parking, it wouldn’t be an issue.

Ultimately, this.

There's the additional benefit that backing in gives you more maneuverability getting out, so you are less likely to get parked in. Here in Thailand backing in is the standard. This is at a huge convention center during a big trade show. I can guarantee there are <10 cars NOT backed in in this entire parking structure. The only time I pull in forward is if I know I'll be loading something big into the trunk and want it facing out.

parking.jpg.70b9f956ec129e45d1c9e5bb66f69cf2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

There's the additional benefit that backing in gives you more maneuverability getting out,

Counterbalanced by the fact that you have more maneuverability heading in. Heading into a small space is easier than backing out into a large space. L

Wait, I didn’t say that right. Heading into a small space is easier than backing into it and the ease of heading out into a large space doesn’t justify the hassle of backing into the small space. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

On 7/28/2021 at 11:17 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Here in Pennsylvania, on and exit ramps are very often shared and very often a mere 50’. 

There's a connector from US1 to I-295 I take every morning that has NO acceleration/merge lane.  Just dumps you into the right lane of traffic on your new route.  There's a reason for it: a railroad overpass that limits the width of the road, but most people don't realize it.

On 7/30/2021 at 7:21 AM, nnm said:

I scoff at this.  When we bought our house one February we ripped out the entire kitchen.  Mainly because of my wife's inability to make decisions (another thread, I know) we didn't have a substantially complete kitchen until the week before Thanksgiving.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Counterbalanced by the fact that you have more maneuverability heading in. Heading into a small space is easier than backing out into a large space. L

Wait, I didn’t say that right. Heading into a small space is easier than backing into it and the ease of heading out into a large space doesn’t justify the hassle of backing into the small space. 

This is fucking stupid. Backing in is better. It's easier to fit into a small space by backing in. This is dictated by geometry and physics. If your argument is "but bad drivers ..." then just stop. Bad drivers gonna bad drive as evidenced by the bad parking picture thread. Almost all of those posts feature a vehicle parked head in.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, deadshank said:

It can be done.  New appliances are tough to acquire.  Trim lumber for millwork and cabinetry is not a problem. 

nnm’s builder or subs may be having other problems 

Access to quality labor.  Also, many customers expect that the contractor is actually out there swinging a hammer every day & don't understand that the labor can operate unsupervised on many parts of the job.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Access to quality labor.  Also, many customers expect that the contractor is actually out there swinging a hammer every day & don't understand that the labor can operate unsupervised on many parts of the job.

Labor is THE issue right now. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Well, the unsupervised labor on my bathroom remodel last year robbed me and did pure shit job so ...

Edited by Llogg
literally robbed me, mostly my kid's cash and electronics

On 7/28/2021 at 11:49 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

What you should do is look for two empty opposing spots where you can head through one and park in the other so you’ll be in position to pull out head first when you’re ready to leave.

a friend of mine did the pull-thru maneuver in the jester garage back when we in school.  UT parking wrote him a ticket for backing in.

Edited by elfenix

Ok, this just drives me nuts.  I go down the rabbit hole of fake and true people who react to music they never heard before.  And yes most of it is bullshit.  But nobody recognizes the incredible stuff from the video of Rush playing Xanadu on Exit stage Left.  If you have not seen it, go fuck yourself and eat some sausage.  Alex Lifeson switching between 12 and 6 string guitars is really fucking amazing.  These people are like, Double neck guitars ,that's neat.  Some smart guys get the key, and the theme signature changes, but no one gets the actual difficulty level of performing this song live.  And on top of that pulling it off in 1981!!!