Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

1 hour ago, Moby Ric said:

Ok, this just drives me nuts.  I go down the rabbit hole of fake and true people who react to music they never heard before.  And yes most of it is bullshit.  But nobody recognizes the incredible stuff from the video of Rush playing Xanadu on Exit stage Left.  If you have not seen it, go fuck yourself and eat some sausage.  Alex Lifeson switching between 12 and 6 string guitars is really fucking amazing.  These people are like, Double neck guitars ,that's neat.  Some smart guys get the key, and the theme signature changes, but no one gets the actual difficulty level of performing this song live.  And on top of that pulling it off in 1981!!! 

Performing a song exactly the same way every time, just like on the album, and performing the same concert with the same songs in the same order every night, with only rare exceptions, is not as impressive as going out and improvising and playing a different show every night. Alex, Geddy, and Neil rehearsed that show rigorously before they went out on tour. Alex switched those same guitars the same way a hundred times. It’s not the musical feat you think it is.

No offense to Rush or Alex. They have their place and their charm. They were my first concert and I’ve seen them a handful of times. My brother is a huge fan and he could go see the exact same show three times in a row. I don’t get that. I could go see the Dead three times in a row without ever hearing the same song twice. I could see them five times in a row and when I heard a song played a second time it didn’t sound exactly the same as the first time. Sure, you got some musical flubs and missed lyrics here and there but you forgave those for the sake of the bigger picture and the adventure. You heard music that was never performed before and would never be performed again. Every show was a unique experience.

Plus Dead shows had a lot of hot hippie chicks. A Rush show was a sausage fest.

You want to go down a rabbit hole? You want to see a guitarist who plays a lot of guitars? Go to YouTube and search for “KVHW.” Fans of Steve Kimock (the K in KVHW) don’t just keep setlists, they keep track of which guitar he’s playing at all times. I can hear the differences and I recognize certain sounds but I’ve never made an effort to match the sound to the guitar. The really hardcore fans can do that. 

14 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Performing a song exactly the same way every time, just like on the album, and performing the same concert with the same songs in the same order every night, with only rare exceptions, is not as impressive as going out and improvising and playing a different show every night. Alex, Geddy, and Neil rehearsed that show rigorously before they went out on tour. Alex switched those same guitars the same way a hundred times. It’s not the musical feat you think it is.

No offense to Rush or Alex. They have their place and their charm. They were my first concert and I’ve seen them a handful of times. My brother is a huge fan and he could go see the exact same show three times in a row. I don’t get that. I could go see the Dead three times in a row without ever hearing the same song twice. I could see them five times in a row and when I heard a song played a second time it didn’t sound exactly the same as the first time. Sure, you got some musical flubs and missed lyrics here and there but you forgave those for the sake of the bigger picture and the adventure. You heard music that was never performed before and would never be performed again. Every show was a unique experience.

Plus Dead shows had a lot of hot hippie chicks. A Rush show was a sausage fest.

You want to go down a rabbit hole? You want to see a guitarist who plays a lot of guitars? Go to YouTube and search for “KVHW.” Fans of Steve Kimock (the K in KVHW) don’t just keep setlists, they keep track of which guitar he’s playing at all times. I can hear the differences and I recognize certain sounds but I’ve never made an effort to match the sound to the guitar. The really hardcore fans can do that. 

Ok. This is the things that annoy me thread. Another thing that annoys me is the Dead, they are a hippie wash out band that sucks.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Moby Ric said:

Ok. This is the things that annoy me thread. Another thing that annoys me is the Dead, they are a hippie wash out band that sucks.

I get why some people don’t like the Dead. They’re not for everyone. And I don’t give a fuck about anyone who doesn’t get them. But musicians will still be playing Garcia/Hunter tunes decades from now. And the surviving members of the band are still performing. What are Geddy and Alex up to these days?

The notion of a Rush fan criticizing the Dead and calling them “washed up” is kind of comical. Did Rush ever play a stadium show let alone a stadium tour? Maybe you never dropped acid and went to a Dead show. I did and it changed my perspective on music. Most of my favorite music has passed the acid test  I never had any urge to test Rush in a psychedelic state, and that includes their drug-centric song A Passage to Bangkok from their 2112 album  

‘OMG, Alex Lifeson just switched from a 6-string to a 12-string guitar! He’s a musical GENIUS!’ LOL. Whatever you say, Spanky. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Are Chiggers considered "trivial"?

May be an image of text that says 'WHY CHIGGERS ARE WORSE THAN GREAT WHITE SHARKS GREAT WHITES CHIGGERS WATCH OUT FOR THE FIN. (ACTUAL SIZE) WATCH OUT FOR THE- NEVERMIND, THEY'RE FUCKING INVISIBLE. BITES OFF APPENDAGES, LIKE AN HONEST, GODDAMN FISH. SNEAKS UP YOUR SHORTS, LIKE AN ITCHY PERVERT NINJA. HUNTS YOU WITHIN THE DEPTHS OF THE EASILY AVOIDABLE OCEANS. WAITING IN THE GRASS TO CHOMP YOUR ASS. APEx PREDATOR HAS A VITAL ROLE WITHIN THE ECOSYSTEM. THANKS FOR THE USELESS. CROTCH-BITING, CROTCH- HELL-DEMON, NATURE. FowILanguageComics.co ©Brian Gordon'

In high school/ college, i worked for a sorghum/ corn/ grass seed company.  When you get to the bottom of the large round grain bins/ dryers, the floors in the cheaper ones are flat and you have to get inside with a scoop and move the sorghum to the middle where the auger pit is.  Did this one time and that bin was infested with chiggers.  Wife stopped counting at 1000 spots all over my body.  It was sheer misery.  My boss was about as old school, tough as nails as you could get, and he felt terrible. We still laugh about it now, but damn that sucked at the moment.

Edited by slorch

I should mention that my brother gave me a DVD of a Rush show in Rio that had a big crowd. But it was no Watkins Glen ‘73. It wasn’t a particularly good show, either. They even acknowledged that on the DVD but they’d spent the money to produce the video so it was what it was. I took it to a used record store and traded it in for something better. I can’t even remember what. My brother has a habit of giving you gifts that he thinks you should like rather than understanding the things you like and giving you a gift you might actually appreciate.

Does anyone make a plastic storage container that can be used to reheat food in the microwave without it getting damaged? From the cheap Zip-Loc brand to the more expensive Rubbermaid, and any other product I’ve tried, there are these little bubbles that form in the clear plastic container if you put it in the microwave. Are there toxic chemicals being released into my food at the same time?

I don’t know about Tupperware. I don’t know if it’s even still a thing but I’m definitely not getting invited to nor ever attending a Tupperware party so that’s off the table. But I should be able to reheat my food in any plastic container without damaging it. Instead I have to put it in a bowl or a plate and cover it with plastic wrap which, lo and behold, survives the heat of the microwave just fine.

It’s bizarre. We can put a man on the moon but we can’t make a plastic container that can survive a few minutes in the microwave without it getting damaged. 

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I get why some people don’t like the Dead. They’re not for everyone. And I don’t give a fuck about anyone who doesn’t get them. But musicians will still be playing Garcia/Hunter tunes decades from now. And the surviving members of the band are still performing. What are Geddy and Alex up to these days?

The notion of a Rush fan criticizing the Dead and calling them “washed up” is kind of comical. Did Rush ever play a stadium show let alone a stadium tour? Maybe you never dropped acid and went to a Dead show. I did and it changed my perspective on music. Most of my favorite music has passed the acid test  I never had any urge to test Rush in a psychedelic state, and that includes their drug-centric song A Passage to Bangkok from their 2112 album  

‘OMG, Alex Lifeson just switched from a 6-string to a 12-string guitar! He’s a musical GENIUS!’ LOL. Whatever you say, Spanky. 

Maybe if you have to do drugs to make the music good the music isn't good.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Does anyone make a plastic storage container that can be used to reheat food in the microwave without it getting damaged? From the cheap Zip-Loc brand to the more expensive Rubbermaid, and any other product I’ve tried, there are these little bubbles that form in the clear plastic container if you put it in the microwave. Are there toxic chemicals being released into my food at the same time?

I don’t know about Tupperware. I don’t know if it’s even still a thing but I’m definitely not getting invited to nor ever attending a Tupperware party so that’s off the table. But I should be able to reheat my food in any plastic container without damaging it. Instead I have to put it in a bowl or a plate and cover it with plastic wrap which, lo and behold, survives the heat of the microwave just fine.

It’s bizarre. We can put a man on the moon but we can’t make a plastic container that can survive a few minutes in the microwave without it getting damaged. 

You embrace the drug culture, but worry about tupperware?

Mkay....

Edit: Moby beat me to it.

Edited by slorch

How unbelievably soft our Olympic athletes are. And I don’t even really mean Simone, she proved herself in 2016. All these athletes in sports no one otherwise gives a shit about (notably that American swimmer) lashing out publicly at people being critical when they don’t win gold. I’m sorry I thought it was supposed to be a competition. I could go to some shitty high school game and see more heart out there. Fuck the olympics /rant

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

agreed.  We are basically safety nazis at my work and I've never seen that concept in any training or protocols.  Nothing on our tattle-tale reports is like that directive.

Backing creates a bigger percentage of collisions with relation to percentage of travel done in Drive and Reverse, especially fixed objects; but that bullshit mentioned above seems dangerous AF.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

What about backing out of your driveway, or your parking spot at the office, or any other scenarios where you put the car in reverse first?

I back into my driveway, into my garage, into my parking spot at work. I don’t see the problem. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2021 at 4:56 PM, bluto said:

Backing in issue… some folks driving company cars with trackers get the record dinged if their first movement is reverse instead of drive after starting the car.

What if you are parallel parked and the person behind you is right on your bumper and the spot in front of you opened up?  You gotta hang around until the guy behind you leaves?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, slorch said:

I would no longer have a beer fridge, overhead door frame, or utility room if the wife backed into the garage.

My wife backed into the garage door as she was LEAVING the house. I asked her how the hell that happened. Apparently she was late and wanted to drive my daughter to her school which is a 5 minute walk from our house.

No she’s not hot enough to do something like that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My wife backed into the garage door as she was LEAVING the house. I asked her how the hell that happened. Apparently she was late and wanted to drive my daughter to her school which is a 5 minute walk from our house.
No she’s not hot enough to do something like that. 

WTF is going on? Just the past week, I too have entered this merry band of brothers. My wife side swiped my car, with all three safety systems (visual and audio with 360 camera) giving proper notifications. Apparently, MB doesn’t include bubble wrap nor air bags for bumpers in their safety features. FML!

Me: How does something like this even happen.
Her: TONE!!!!!

And I’m the asshole?

How long it takes people at Costco to fill up their gas tank. I stopped going there because of these people:

• Always pulls up to the wrong side and needs the attendant to explain the long hose and usually help
  • Never thinks to get the Costco card out while waiting for 30 minutes so +3 to find card
  • +15" to figure out whether it is scan or tap card
  • +15" to debate low or high octane fuel ... "what's this diesel thing?"
  • Starts to fill the tank and returns to the driver's seat; +2 to get out after the pump clicks off
  • Top, top, top off - +15"
  • +30" trying to figure out how to get the long hose around the car without chocking and returning it to the holder
  • +15" debating whether or not to get a receipt
  • Then the worst ... the finale ... the denouement ...  the magic ritual must be done for 5 minutes between getting back in the care and leaving - is this some sore of cosmic communication window? What are people doing?

2 hours ago, luke duke said:

Going to Costco for gas is like shopping at Walmart. It isn’t worth the hassle to save a few cents.

Reminds me of seeing someone on the news back in ‘08 when gas was sky high…drove from Gatesville to Waco to save $.12/gallon in their Camry.   

18 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Maybe kids should stop being assholes.

Elementary kids should stop being assholes. Got it. And junior high girls should not be mean to each other. And peace in the Middle East is just within our reach. All we are saying is give peace a chance. All you need is love. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, nnm said:

Elementary kids should stop being assholes. Got it. And junior high girls should not be mean to each other. And peace in the Middle East is just within our reach. All we are saying is give peace a chance. All you need is love. 

I believe what you're trying to say is.... I'd like to buy the world a coke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Every other radio ad is for boner pills or some other ED treatment. 

And yes, I'm too cheap to pay for SiriusXM or any other music service. 

I have a CD player and a large collection of awesome CD’s. I couldn’t carry them all and there’s no road trip long enough that I would need to do so. But I can carry more than I need and enough to cover any mood that strikes me.

There are good things about satellite radio but it’s just like AM when you lose the signal driving through the mountains or tunnels or under bridges.

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:
2 hours ago, Sandman said:
Every other radio ad is for boner pills or some other ED treatment. 
And yes, I'm too cheap to pay for SiriusXM or any other music service. 

And the other ads are for IRS settlement firms

So a lot of old dudes who can't get it up spent too much money on their toys trying to impress chicks and are in trouble with the IRS.