Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

10 hours ago, HouTex said:

Commercials with a door bell. WTF? My dog goes crazy during just about every commercial break.

Commercials in general.  Over 50% seem to feature someone screaming and acting like an idiot.  

I have worn the paint off of the mute button on my remote control.  

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep.  In one of the last couple of election cycles, there was a candidate who had a doorbell ringing throughout the :30 spot.  My dog took it as go-time. 

Talk about an unforced error with a substantial section of the voting population. I have to assume (and hope) that the candidate lost. 

Work for a pretty large company and someone sent an email to what I can only imagine is the entire fucking company distribution list. Instead of everyone reading it and just moving on with their day I’m up to 200+ “Replay All” emails saying they didn’t need to be on the list.

What’s worse? There’s another 100 “please don’t hit reply all”.

Innanet is hard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

1 hour ago, Fudbelty said:

Work for a pretty large company and someone sent an email to what I can only imagine is the entire fucking company distribution list. Instead of everyone reading it and just moving on with their day I’m up to 200+ “Replay All” emails saying they didn’t need to be on the list.

Innanet is hard.

When I first started working for CompuServe, I meant to send an email to my dept. but accidentally addressed it to “All” which would make it company-wide. Fortunately they had a function where you could go to a command line interface and issue a command to delete the message so that anyone who hadn’t read it already would never see it. I never received a single reply.

That was such a cool place to work. 

8 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Innanet is hard.

level 10 trolling opportunity

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

When I first started working for CompuServe, I meant to send an email to my dept. but accidentally addressed it to “All” which would make it company-wide. Fortunately they had a function where you could go to a command line interface and issue a command to delete the message so that anyone who hadn’t read it already would never see it. I never received a single reply.

That was such a cool place to work. 

I spent many a late night playing Megawar on CompuServe on my Apple II+.

Not trivial, but need to vent.  Almost 2000 acres burned up because some absolute selfish prick throws a cig butt out the window with 40-50mph winds and very dry conditions. Median catches fire and then with winds like that, it's rolling across the prairie grass like kindling.

I drove by it on the south bound side as the first trucks arrived.  They closed north bound traffic because of the grass in the median burning.

https://www.myhighplains.com/news/local-news/grass-fire-south-of-dumas-closes-us-287/

Not sure this is the best thread, as it's not exactly trivial, and not applicable to me personally, but I know several people currently on the job hunt (including my wife), and it seems like every single professional accounting/finance/fp&a job that gets posted wants somebody with 3-7 years of experience, no more or less, unless it's an executive-level position that requires 15-20 years in a similar role. Basically, they want someone they're not going to have to train, but not anyone too experienced b/c they'll cost too much. Oh, and they also want CPA and/or MBA, prior Big 4 experience, and several years in their specific industry.

I guess it's a good market out there for the 26-31 crowd, but I know a lot of folks 35-45 that keep striking out repeatedly despite having stellar credentials. When they even get interviews it's like "wow, this is really impressive, why do you wan't to do this job again?" Clearly "because I need to work and make money and I can definitely handle this job" is not an acceptable answer. 

Also, I've seen numerous positions that get re-posted multiple times over the course of 6+ months and each time it has upwards of 100+ applicants. You're telling me they haven't found one single hire-worthy individual that whole time?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

DJ’s. Those no talent ass clowns and the crowds that go to see them make me surly. Learn to ply an instrument. Write a song.

While I partially agree regarding the second half of your comment (live performances/concerts), I totally disagree with "no talent."

Innanet is hard.

Our email finally leveled out yesterday afternoon.

Final numbers
Original email was to over 100k email addresses

500+ reply all emails also went out

That’s a lot of emails.
  • Rage+1 1

I help coach my son’s soccer team. I have no qualifications other than I have a loud voice and don’t put up with any shit.

My friend’s kid is unfortunately on the same team. He fucks around and I put up with it because I don’t care. BUT, he likes to kick other peoples’ balls away and make them chase after it.

He did that to the coach who’s team was playing next to us.

I fucking lost and yelled at him, calling him a brat, and told him he better go look the other coach in the eye and apologize.

His mom texted my friend, who then texted me to be more gentle on their kid.

Our families are pretty close, but every time I see him, I just want to hold his head underwater until the bubbles stop. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I help coach my son’s soccer team. I have no qualifications other than I have a loud voice and don’t put up with any shit.

My friend’s kid is unfortunately on the same team. He fucks around and I put up with it because I don’t care. BUT, he likes to kick other peoples’ balls away and make them chase after it.

I fucking lost and yelled at him, calling him a brat, and told him he better go look the other coach in the eye and apologize.

Our families are pretty close, but every time I see him, I just want to hold his head underwater until the bubbles stop. 

You could tell your friend to teach his kid some fucking manners. Or get his fat fucking ass down there to help you coach. Or just fuck off, in general. 

• Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, Superhero said:

You had me until the last clause. Wow. 

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

That would be mom and dad you wanna hold down until the bubbles stop.  The kid is a reflection of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ya know what’s worse ? Dentists handing out toothbrushes and toothpaste 

Yep.  Prominent DDS in town where I grew up did this BS.   

So when I went in to his office to get fitted for braces, the night before  I had extra garlic and onions on my linguine.  

Fixed him right up. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ya know what’s worse ? Dentists handing out toothbrushes and toothpaste 

It's the responsibility of the older kids in the neighborhood to make sure that toothbrushes get jabbed into the lawn, and toothpaste gets squeezed onto the driveway at the end of the night. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2