Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Passive aggressive people...

We went to LEGOLand yesterday with another family yesterday. We see a photo op moment and get in line. There's another group who is kinda standing off to the side, not really in line.

We take our family photos, and ask the people next group of people if they can take a photo of our two families together. The man just walked by saying "No, not going to take you photo because you guys cut in line.". My wife, who's usually very nice, said almost apologetically "Oh, I didn't know you were line." The little bitch's wife said "Well, we were, and you guys just cut in front of us."

At which point, I turned around to face them and said, rather loudly. "Wow, kinda passive aggressive huh?." The wife was huffing and puffing, but didn't say anything.

Personally, when people cut in front of me, I call them out right away and tell them to get behind me. I don't wait for them to finish what they're doing, and THEN get mad at them for being being unaware, oblivious, rude, etc. It's what an adult should do instead of acting like passive-aggressive bitch men.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here’s a twofer.

Throwing away a favored mug because it’s become stained. I think the Earl Grey tea stained it worse than the coffee did. My favorite mug is black so it won’t show stains but now I’m afraid to use it. Maybe I’ll only use it when I can show it off for company and keep cheap ones around for everyday consumption that I won’t mind discarding.

Shaking the orange juice carton before pouring only to discover that the lid wasn’t tightly sealed so some juice splatters on the counter and floor. Worse yet it was my error so I can’t blame it on anyone else. 

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Here’s a twofer.

Throwing away a favored mug because it’s become stained. I think the Earl Grey tea stained it worse than the coffee did. My favorite mug is black so it won’t show stains but now I’m afraid to use it. Maybe I’ll only use it when I can show it off for company and keep cheap ones around for everyday consumption that I won’t mind discarding.

Maybe I'm underestimating the degree of staining, but isn't that kind of part for the course for tea and coffee mugs? Seems like an overreaction to toss a mug you care about. 

And a denture cleaner tablet can do wonders. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Maybe I'm underestimating the degree of staining, but isn't that kind of part for the course for tea and coffee mugs? Seems like an overreaction to toss a mug you care about. 

I’ll have to give the denture cleaning tablet a try. I’ve never seen this level of staining before. I figure it must be the tea. But the mug is almost 20 years old and I’m not THAT attached to it. It’s got a small chip on the handle and some irregularities around the rim. I just like the artwork on it. But it’s starting to look pretty gross on the inside and even though I know it’s harmless it’s still a little unappetizing. I wash it after every use. It would just be nice if that prevented staining. 

Buck likes his mug like his men...  black.  

Checking out at the grocery store earlier today and someone leaves a bag of shredded cheese on water/soda cooler by register.  JFC, is it really that hard to just hand it to the cashier and say you changed your mind?  No doubt a leave the cart in parking space type asshole. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Buck likes his mug like his men...  black.

You say that as if you think the suggestion that I like men is supposed to matter somehow. Do you consider it a putdown to suggest that someone is gay?

My favorite mug just happens to be black. It’s pretty cool. It has a gold and silver stealie on the front and on the back it says:

36,086 Songs
2,317 Concerts
298 Cities
11 Members
1 Band

GRATEFUL DEAD

It would be just as cool if it were white. In that case it could just use the traditional red and blue in the logo.

7 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Little bit of citric acid and warm water. Let it sit for 30min and come back and wipe it out. Repeat if it's a tough stain.

Powdered citric acid is cheap on Amazon. Also sold as washing machine cleaner and water kettle descaler.

If your shower heads are getting crusty or flow shitty, take them off and soak them in a bucket of water with 2 heaping tablespoons of citric acid, periodically agitate (shake the head, esp if you see it bubbling). If the bubbling stops and the head is still crusty, change the water to a fresh batch of water/acid. Repeat until the bubbling stops and head is clean.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You say that as if you think the suggestion that I like men is supposed to matter somehow. Do you consider it a putdown to suggest that someone is gay?

My favorite mug just happens to be black. It’s pretty cool. It has a gold and silver stealie on the front and on the back it says:

36,086 Songs
2,317 Concerts
298 Cities
11 Members
1 Band

GRATEFUL DEAD

It would be just as cool if it were white. In that case it could just use the traditional red and blue in the logo.

Good Lord. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Little bit of citric acid and warm water. Let it sit for 30min and come back and wipe it out. Repeat if it's a tough stain.

Powdered citric acid is cheap on Amazon. Also sold as washing machine cleaner and water kettle descaler.

If your shower heads are getting crusty or flow shitty, take them off and soak them in a bucket of water with 2 heaping tablespoons of citric acid, periodically agitate (shake the head, esp if you see it bubbling). If the bubbling stops and the head is still crusty, change the water to a fresh batch of water/acid. Repeat until the bubbling stops and head is clean.

There’s also citric acid in powdered Kool-Aid lemonade. I once read a tip that you can use it to clean your toilet bowl. 

16 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Cut/paste from Hints from Heloise?

On 11/27/2021 at 4:51 PM, 52-80 said:

parents who give their kids intentionally-alternate spelling of names.  shame on you, parents of dwyane wade and treveyon henderson

At work, parents will call to check on their kids account. You wouldn't believe the amount of times they'll say something like Aaron, and I'll spend 5 minutes going back and forth with parents. Finally find it and it's spelled Aaryonne. Fuck you dude.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Airport today.  I’m checking my bag in every screen says “tagged bags only.”

two people in front of me see it say “they’re gonna take ours anyway.”   American attendant tells them to fuck off, sort of, they say a few choice words and get in the front of the other line.  

trivial?  Idk.  But entitled fucks that think the rules don’t apply to them are awful

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Airport today.  I’m checking my bag in every screen says “tagged bags only.”

two people in front of me see it say “they’re gonna take ours anyway.”   American attendant tells them to fuck off, sort of, they say a few choice words and get in the front of the other line.  

trivial?  Idk.  But entitled fucks that think the rules don’t apply to them are awful everywhere.

fify

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

parents who give their kids intentionally-alternate spelling of names.  shame on you, parents of dwyane wade and treveyon henderson

My buddy did this to his oldest, he really regretted later on. He knew he was setting her up for a life of "No, it's actually spelled....". 

• Like 1

Someone had a post a year or two ago making fun of all the alternate spelling names that will be in a white elementary school in 2030 or so. That perfectly illustrated the point. I dug around but couldn’t find it. 

Name the damn kid what you're gonna call him. One of my college friends named their kid something like Michael Bradley Smith and they call him Bradley. Then fucking name him Bradley Smith.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Name the damn kid what you're gonna call him. One of my college friends named their kid something like Michael Bradley Smith and they call him Bradley. Then fucking name him Bradley Smith.

Agree. And my dad is one of those people. 

15% of the U.S. adult population "goes" by something other than their first name.  Just in the UT ecosystem---Colt McCoy, Red McCombs, and Ricky Williams come to mind. 

I use my middle name quite frequently.  And yes, it rhymes with a part of the female anatomy.  

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

15% of the U.S. adult population "goes" by something other than their first name.  Just in the UT ecosystem---Colt McCoy, Red McCombs, and Ricky Williams come to mind. 

I use my middle name quite frequently.  And yes, it rhymes with a part of the female anatomy.  

How's it going, Jallopian Moobs? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/28/2021 at 7:53 PM, Sam Lin said:

On 11/29/2021 at 11:32 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

There’s also citric acid in powdered Kool-Aid lemonade. I once read a tip that you can use it to clean your toilet bowl. 

Back when I was Chief Engineer on a Frigate, we were on a solo counter-drug deployment in the Eastern Pacific.  We started having real problems with our evaporators and were only making about 20% of rated capacity for fresh water.  We opened up the evaps and saw that we had significant scaling on the heat exchanger tubes. 

To really make things dicey, our supply of citric acid that we would normally use to descale the tubes had gotten wet somehow and was ruined.   Since we were on our own, it would have taken weeks to get more citric acid.  We put our heads together and came up with a plan to use the bug juice (Navy version of Kool-Aid) mix from the galley as a substitute.  

So during our next port visit, we mixed up a huge batch of concentrated bug juice in a 55 gallon drum.   We put the tube assembly into that mix and inserted a low pressure air tube to agitate the mix.   In less than 24 hrs, the tubes looked like brand new pennies and we were back to full water-making capacity.  

So yeah, there’s quite a bit of acid in those drink mixes.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

I feel like if you’re going to give your kid an unconventional first name that you have an obligation to give them a normal middle name so they have options as they grow up.  Maybe Destiny will fulfill her destiny and end up on the pole, but if she becomes a lawyer, give her Jennifer or Ashley as a middle name so they can pivot if necessary.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Totally irrelevant now, but how was your citric acid ruined by getting wet? Should still have been completely usable, except for being crystallized into one solid block. Hammer off the chunks you need and dissolve them, and proceed with descaling.

It was bilge water, so no telling which of a thousand potential contaminants were also included.  Since we were dealing with potable water generation, we played it as safe as we could.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Both of my younger kids lived with my ex and me as foster kids for almost 2 years before we adopted them.  Naturally we called them both by their birth first names.  When we adopted them we reversed their first and middle names on their new birth certificates, but we continued to call them by their birth first names which are now their middle names.  When they started school everyone called them by their adopted first names which are their birth middle names while we still called them by their birth first names.  They go back and forth without any problems.  Their Grandmother (my mom) heard one of their friends call them by their adopted first name and said "who the hell is that".  I have gotten used to switching how I refer to them depending on who I'm talking to.

On a separate note, fuck people who use "went" for the past perfect tense.  It is the simple past tense and you sound like a dumb fuck.  For example, the aggy said "I was smart enough to have went to tu if I wanted to".  Not only is that grammatically incorrect, it's factually incorrect.  So all you dumbasses who use "went" for the past perfect tense sound like hillbilly sheep fuckers.

• Like 3