Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've probably posted this before, but it happened again this AM.

People who redeem, buy, and/or play lottery tickets at gas station checkouts during commuting hours should be drug out in the street and shot.  With prejudice if they're paying via check.

JFC.  I am getting office supplies at the office depot the other day.  Older couple in front of me is buying 2 reams of paper for $14.  They are paying by check, and take about 5 minutes to check out.  By the time I got to the register there were 10 people in line behind me waiting.  Check writers are the worst.  Why do they always act surprised when the cashier needs to see their license?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Thankfully, in Texas, I don’t think you can buy lottery tickets with a check.  I’ve never tried.  I believe it’s cash or debit card only.

In larger cities in Iowa most gas stations won't even take a check, but I live in a town of 3900 people with lots of olds who still write checks for everything.  It's going to take everyone over 75 to die off before local stores quit accepting them.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:12 PM, Fudbelty said:

Sorry didn’t mean it as you specifically. Good on you for doing that. We always try to bring extra cash for bigger groups no matter the bill or tipper. Larger groups are just a PITA

Yep.  I also bring extra cash if I know we're going to be there for several hours.  "Table rental" is part of my tip calculation as well.    

57 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

The person checking you out at the register at the store that comments on what you are buying.  The other day I bought some wrapping paper and birthday candles for a birthday and the dude says "who's birthday?  I say "my wife".  His response..."Last minute?"  I just responded "no."  WTF? Shut the fuck up and just ring my stuff up.

And no it was not last minute.

The grocery store:  “Ooo, looks like someone is having a party!”

Every damn time. 

To be fair, every day is a party at my place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

JFC.  I am getting office supplies at the office depot the other day.  Older couple in front of me is buying 2 reams of paper for $14.  They are paying by check, and take about 5 minutes to check out.  By the time I got to the register there were 10 people in line behind me waiting.  Check writers are the worst.  Why do they always act surprised when the cashier needs to see their license?

It's just the total lack of consideration for everyone else in the world that gets me.  It's really the same bitch I have with the left lane slowpokes.  I don't think everyone needs to be in a hurry, but just be aware that people around might be, for millions of reasons, and just be considerate to that and quit impeding their life.  You're literally robbing someone else of the most precious resource we have (time) because you're too fucking inconsiderate to just wait and cash your ticket when the store is quiet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The only time I am not pulling over from the left lane for someone going faster than me is if there are 8 to 10 cars in front of me in the left lane not moving over either and not going as fast as that person.

Yeah, that's clearly a different situation.  In this case, the person being the asshole is way up front and there's nothing you can do to alleviate the scenario.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Who made you the traffic police?  Be polite and move over

Why is the assumption that the speeder is the person in the right? Everyone is making this assumption and offering no reason for it to be so. My entire point is if you want to break the law you don't have a right to make it expect others too facilitate that crime. It's not impolite and it's not impeding traffic.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Why is the assumption that the speeder is the person in the right? Everyone is making this assumption and offering no reason for it to be so. My entire point is if you want to break the law you don't have a right to make it expect others too facilitate that crime. It's not impolite and it's not impeding traffic.

#14160.  You mentioned going 76.  Isn't that breaking the law?

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

#14160.  You mentioned going 76.  Isn't that breaking the law?

I'm not arguing that anyone need to facilitate me doing so, just used that number to illustrate the point. If I'm passing, ie going faster than the car to the right no matter how much the difference is, I'm within the bounds of the rules regarding use of the left lane. Also I believe the original scenario was a toll road with speed limit 80.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Moby Ric said:

The person checking you out at the register at the store that comments on what you are buying.  The other day I bought some wrapping paper and birthday candles for a birthday and the dude says "who's birthday?  I say "my wife".  His response..."Last minute?"  I just responded "no."  WTF? Shut the fuck up and just ring my stuff up.

Once I was at customer service at Kroger and some woman came in to complain that the Mylar helium balloon that she’d bought for her child’s birthday party, I think it was in the shape of the number 3, was leaking and going limp. I agreed with her that it was a sorry looking 3 (or whatever).

Another time I was waiting in line at customer service at Giant Eagle to return a jar of bogus honey. It was labeled as orange honey but there was something funky about it. It had a metallic taste. I don’t think it was real. Anyway, while I was waiting I saw some lady go through the self checkout lane with some cinnamon chip muffins. I had only discovered that they were selling cinnamon chip muffins a couple months before. They’re awesome. We used to have a grocery called Big Bear, one of the first chain grocery stores, who made cinnamon chip muffins but they went out of business years ago and I hadn’t had them since. So I complimented the woman on her good taste for buying the cinnamon chip muffins.

You know what sucks? Giant Eagle has recently made a change to their cinnamon chip muffins where they now put fewer cinnamon chips in the muffins and dust the tops of the muffins with cinnamon sugar. That’s unacceptable. I won’t buy them anymore and I’m just one guy and have no way of making them go back to making them the right way (or “correctly” for the anal retentive members of the board).

And, as long as I’m on a rant...a few weeks ago I went to Penzey’s to stock up on whole peppercorns. I bought a couple varieties. Spices at Penzey’s aren’t cheap. The cashier told me that I earned a bonus gift. And it was...cinnamon sugar! I got a free little jar of cinnamon sugar. Wtf? I can make cinnamon sugar. I don’t need cinnamon sugar. I haven’t used cinnamon sugar since I was a child and put it on buttered toast. (Or when my mom taught me how I could make a sandwich by adding it to leftover cake frosting, made from Crisco and powdered sugar and food coloring, spread between slices of white bread, which I’m sure had nothing to do with my weight problem,) I mean, seriously. Just give me one whole stick of cinnamon. That I could use. Give me one whole clove. Give me nutmeg. I have no use for cinnamon sugar. All you really gave me was the jar it came in. I can find a use for that. Want to do me a favor? CHARGE LESS FOR YOUR SPICES!!!

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The only time I am not pulling over from the left lane for someone going faster than me is if there are 8 to 10 cars in front of me in the left lane not moving over either and not going as fast as that person.

much of the time the right lane is clear so i do what i'm supposed to, move over and continue at my regular speed. 

15 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

When someone is coming up behind me and going faster while I’m mildly passing another vehicle on the right, I speed up to complete my pass and return to my previously scheduled speed in the right lane, because holding up someone else is a dick move.

This is the way...I will throw on my blinker(mainly passing semis) to let them know I see them(oncoming driver) and I will get over as soon as possible.  It keeps the majority of folks at bay.  

I do stay in the right lane whenever it is feasible.  Hell, I was driving from Waco on Sunday and it was the clearest of 3 lanes for southbound traffic.

For the record, I am a self-avowed asshole.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

This is the way...I will throw on my blinker(mainly passing semis) to let them know I see them(oncoming driver) and I will get over as soon as possible.  It keeps the majority of folks at bay.  

I do stay in the right lane whenever it is feasible.  Hell, I was driving from Waco on Sunday and it was the clearest of 3 lanes for southbound traffic.

Noticed that too.  Often times the right lane is clearer for travel.  

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

They didn’t put a shoulder on the highway so people have a place to pull over when experiencing mechanical problems or getting a ticket.  They put it there to serve as an additional passing lane when the original passing lane is being misused by other drivers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

They didn’t put a shoulder on the highway so people have a place to pull over when experiencing mechanical problems or getting a ticket.  They put it there to serve as an additional passing lane when the original passing lane is being misused by other drivers.

Shark Tank Writing GIF

45 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I prefer the right lane as well and only use the left to pass.

Vast majority of my interstate travel only consists of 2 lanes in each direction too, even though I-80 (especially between Des Moines and Iowa City which is a stretch I have almost no reason to drive ever again based on where I live) really needs a third, probably all the way from Chicago to Denver (last part is I-76 of course).

49 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

So this was actually legal in Saskatchewan back in the day.

It was probably 1989-1990, somewhere in there, that my folks were driving my brother and I up there to meet my great-grandparents before they passed (they lived in Regina, where my grandpa was raised) and we were driving along and some guy came flying up behind my old man (who has a notorious lead foot but was afraid of getting pulled over in another country) and passed him on the shoulder.  He about crashed because he was so caught off guard.

When we got to Regina my great uncle explained that it was completely legal and quite common, as there were very few (if any) 4 lane highways in the province at that time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Once I was at customer service at Kroger and some woman came in to complain that the Mylar helium balloon that she’d bought for her child’s birthday party, I think it was in the shape of the number 3, was leaking and going limp. I agreed with her that it was a sorry looking 3 (or whatever).

Another time I was waiting in line at customer service at Giant Eagle to return a jar of bogus honey. It was labeled as orange honey but there was something funky about it. It had a metallic taste. I don’t think it was real. Anyway, while I was waiting I saw some lady go through the self checkout lane with some cinnamon chip muffins. I had only discovered that they were selling cinnamon chip muffins a couple months before. They’re awesome. We used to have a grocery called Big Bear, one of the first chain grocery stores, who made cinnamon chip muffins but they went out of business years ago and I hadn’t had them since. So I complimented the woman on her good taste for buying the cinnamon chip muffins.

You know what sucks? Giant Eagle has recently made a change to their cinnamon chip muffins where they now put fewer cinnamon chips in the muffins and dust the tops of the muffins with cinnamon sugar. That’s unacceptable. I won’t buy them anymore and I’m just one guy and have no way of making them go back to making them the right way (or “correctly” for the anal retentive members of the board).

And, as long as I’m on a rant...a few weeks ago I went to Penzey’s to stock up on whole peppercorns. I bought a couple varieties. Spices at Penzey’s aren’t cheap. The cashier told me that I earned a bonus gift. And it was...cinnamon sugar! I got a free little jar of cinnamon sugar. Wtf? I can make cinnamon sugar. I don’t need cinnamon sugar. I haven’t used cinnamon sugar since I was a child and put it on buttered toast. (Or when my mom taught me how I could make a sandwich by adding it to leftover cake frosting, made from Crisco and powdered sugar and food coloring, spread between slices of white bread, which I’m sure had nothing to do with my weight problem,) I mean, seriously. Just give me one whole stick of cinnamon. That I could use. Give me one whole clove. Give me nutmeg. I have no use for cinnamon sugar. All you really gave me was the jar it came in. I can find a use for that. Want to do me a favor? CHARGE LESS FOR YOUR SPICES!!!

username almost checks out for this rant  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've probably posted this before, but it happened again this AM.

People who redeem, buy, and/or play lottery tickets at gas station checkouts during commuting hours should be drug out in the street and shot.  With prejudice if they're paying via check.

I haven’t gone indoors to pay at a gas station in at least a decade. If there’s no pay at the pump, I’m going to a different station. 
I do go into gas stations occasionally. But that’s just for the bathrooms. 

Not trivial, worth repeating...
Fucking dumb ass lady with her husband in the passenger seat doing 77 (80mph Speed Limit) in the left lane on the toll road.  Situation made worse by the fact that there were assholes in the middle lane doing the same speed.  No one aware enough to understand that they were all impeding my progress.  
If you can't drive the speed limit on the toll road, stay the fuck off of it.  

Never trivial.

Add people who slow way down when they see a cop. Especially on the highway. Hey jackass you can still do the speed limit, even if the cop isn't.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, nnm said:

I haven’t gone indoors to pay at a gas station in at least a decade. If there’s no pay at the pump, I’m going to a different station. 
I do go into gas stations occasionally. But that’s just for the bathrooms. 

Seriously?  Do you just pack your own food and beverage for long drives?

Granted, I live in the Midwest and gas stations frequently serve as restaurants, grocery stores, liquor stores, etc so there's a frequent necessity in going into them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

And that person at the front of that queue is either the speed-governed semi or a guy who thinks it’s his right to go up to the speed limit and no more, in the passing lane. 
The result is a massively unsafe jam behind the offender. It turns into a swarming hive, with people zooming up on the right, and the left closing ranks to avoid people cutting the line. All of whom are way too close to each other for ~80 mph. One wrong move or mechanical problem with any of those vehicles and it’s a horrendous multi-vehicle crash. 
All caused by someone who doesn’t understand or respect basic rules of human behavior. Texas has codified it. If you’re not passing, get out of the way. That statute doesn’t mention the speed limit. If you’re not passing, get out of the way. It’s not just a good idea, it’s the law. 

Yeah @Llogg quit breaking the law.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Granted, I live in the Midwest and gas stations frequently serve as restaurants, grocery stores, liquor stores, etc so there's a frequent necessity in going into them.

I make a trip into Buc-ees about 2-3 times a year and get some basic munchies that I keep in a bag in my truck. Some sunflower seeds, different flavored cashews, wasabi peas, etc.  I don’t need to stop at the random gas station for snacks. And if I do, I for sure am not paying for gas inside. 

6 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

This will take me from pleasant to total asshole in a hurry. I mean obviously there are situations where it's fine - like my local corner store dudes just making small talk or being friendly (but I'm not sure they ever comment on what I'm buying). The one you described is a perfect example. 

Fucking reading glasses.  Where the fuck do they all sneak off to?  I just got back from walking the dogs and I swear my favorite pair was in my shirt pocket when I left the house.  I have a certain kind that I like that I have to order from amazon and seems like I'm ordering a couple of pairs every month.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

ucking reading glasses.  Where the fuck do they all sneak off to?  I just got back from walking the dogs and I swear my favorite pair was in my shirt pocket when I left the house.  I have a certain kind that I like that I have to order from amazon and seems like I'm ordering a couple of pairs every month.

It's hell getting old aint it?

23 hours ago, slorch said:

If you’re not passing anyone, get the fuck over to the right. I don’t give a fuck what the speed limit is

In Germany, they teach his as part of your drivers ed. They also teach you to drive in the rain and snow, and first aid, but I digress.

We should make the licensing process a lot harder here in the states. Too many dumbasses on the road. Including the lady in the Prius who slowed down to 5 MPH at a left turn because... she's a woman.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't live in the midwest, but I almost always go inside the station to pay for gas because my area is a frequently attacked area with skimmers, and I normally get gas when I also "have to buy a 6pack".   I just take the extra 90 seconds to pay.  Haven't had my shit robbed by a skimmer ever.  Have also had my fill of sixers.  Win win.   

29 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Fucking reading glasses.  Where the fuck do they all sneak off to?  I just got back from walking the dogs and I swear my favorite pair was in my shirt pocket when I left the house.  I have a certain kind that I like that I have to order from amazon and seems like I'm ordering a couple of pairs every month.

It's the bending over and taking it from "The Man" that makes you keep losing them...  Thanks Obama  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Never trivial.

Add people who slow way down when they see a cop. Especially on the highway. Hey jackass you can still do the speed limit, even if the cop isn't.

Hate those ass holes who refuse to pass a cop who's driving 15mph under the speed limit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Since you typed that message on a device, I’m going to assume you lost them on your face. Have you looked in a mirror for your reading glasses?  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You actually tried to return open food?  To the store?

Of course. And they refunded my money. They sold me shit honey. They don’t get to get away with that.

I once returned some Earl Grey tea because I didn’t like it. I asked them if I could return it just because I didn’t like it and they said, “Sure.” They took it, gave me my money back, and I bought a box of Bigelow instead. And the Bigelow tea costs more. The woman at customer service agreed with me that Bigelow is better.

22 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

When someone is coming up behind me and going faster while I’m mildly passing another vehicle on the right, I speed up to complete my pass and return to my previously scheduled speed in the right lane, because holding up someone else is a dick move.

Bullshit. The first speeding ticket I ever got was because I did that. As a freshman in college I was driving some friends south on I-71 to King’s Island. I was passing a semi and some asshole came flying up behind me so I sped up to try to get out of his way just to be nice. I got pulled over.

I’ve been a speed demon. I also know better than to think I can impose my rush on other drivers. And the minor delay in my drive time when I encounter other drivers who are driving the speed limit, or only slightly over it, is negligible.

Nobody has any more right to the road than I do. I never drive below the speed limit. These days I seldom drive more than 4 mph over the speed limit unless everyone else is going faster than that and I fear I might be a hazard. Then I’ll speed up. There’s safety in numbers and I’ve got blockers out in front of me. But if I’m passing a semi at 69 and you’re trying to go 80, fuck you. You’re just going to have to wait for a little bit, stanco.

Bullshit. The first speeding ticket I ever got was because I did that. As a freshman in college I was driving some friends south on I-71 to King’s Island. I was passing a semi and some asshole came flying up behind me so I sped up to try to get out of his way just to be nice. I got pulled over.
I’ve been a speed demon. I also know better than to think I can impose my rush on other drivers. And the minor delay in my drive time when I encounter other drivers who are driving the speed limit, or only slightly over it, is negligible.
Nobody has any more right to the road than I do. I never drive below the speed limit. These days I seldom drive more than 4 mph over the speed limit unless everyone else is going faster than that and I fear I might be a hazard. Then I’ll speed up. There’s safety in numbers and I’ve got blockers out in front of me. But if I’m passing a semi at 69 and you’re trying to go 80, fuck you. You’re just going to have to wait for a little bit, stanco.

I’ve never been pulled over doing this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I might have told this story before. But it’s a good story. One day, around 5 pm or so, I was driving south on US-33 in Upper Arlington where it’s a 4-lane road and the speed limit is 40 mph. I was in the left lane driving the speed limit and passing traffic on the right. Ahead I saw a cop sitting off the side of the road with his radar gun. In my rearview mirror I saw some dickhead coming flying up behind me.

What did I do? I could’ve just stayed in my lane and kept passing people at a legal limit. He would’ve been forced to slow down. But I pulled over into the right lane and let him fly by. Then I watched the cop take off and pull him over and I just laughed and laughed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

username almost checks out for this rant  

Seriously, how is this some sort of customer reward? Notice that the seal hasn’t even been broken yet. It’s almost an insult. They’ve never given me a bonus gift in the past and I’ve never expected one. This makes me think that they came up with something and it won’t sell so they’re just giving it away. Guess what - it’s not selling because no one wants it. And I’d be shocked if they were selling it for less than $5 a jar. Eventually I’m probably going to crack that seal so I can empty the contents into the trash and hope there’s a little shaker covering on top so I can repurpose it for ground peppers or some other spice.

2D0B23D6-6D4C-4A89-BFD7-FA8305515509.thumb.jpeg.4df5fd16e2b4519ec10dd5d37c111d16.jpeg

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's just the total lack of consideration for everyone else in the world that gets me.  It's really the same bitch I have with the left lane slowpokes.  I don't think everyone needs to be in a hurry, but just be aware that people around might be, for millions of reasons, and just be considerate to that and quit impeding their life.

To be fair, 90% of the morons on the highway never look in their rear view mirror…

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

you were really getting cited for all the other times you've fucked other drivers.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Seriously, how is this some sort of customer reward? Notice that the seal hasn’t even been broken yet. It’s almost an insult. They’ve never given me a bonus gift in the past and I’ve never expected one. This makes me think that they came up with something and it won’t sell so they’re just giving it away. Guess what - it’s not selling because no one wants it. And I’d be shocked if they were selling it for less than $5 a jar. Eventually I’m probably going to crack that seal so I can empty the contents into the trash and hope there’s a little shaker covering on top so I can repurpose it for ground peppers or some other spice.

2D0B23D6-6D4C-4A89-BFD7-FA8305515509.thumb.jpeg.4df5fd16e2b4519ec10dd5d37c111d16.jpeg

Your recent posts sound like they belong in the wives thread, except, you’d be the wife.   Jesus man.  Get ahold of yourself 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1