Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

I don't live in the midwest, but I almost always go inside the station to pay for gas because my area is a frequently attacked area with skimmers, and I normally get gas when I also "have to buy a 6pack".   I just take the extra 90 seconds to pay.  Haven't had my shit robbed by a skimmer ever.  Have also had my fill of sixers.  Win win.   

Texas gas stations are like Midwestern ones in my experience, especially in small towns (not sure if you’re in a small town or not).

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Texas gas stations are like Midwestern ones in my experience, especially in small towns (not sure if you’re in a small town or not).

Pretty much.   I mean, I live in Waco.   So not super small town but not big.    I actually have a few folks that work at the gas station near my office that I frequent that are really nice folks.  The extra 90 seconds to keep my ass from getting a $4500 bill from Wally World in Killeen is an acceptable trade for me.   

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 11:09 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I'd argue that's not trivial.  People who don't signal cause a lot of damn accidents.

Also those who use them but way too damn early. A couple of days ago, I was leaving a parking lot to get onto a freeway frontage road but was waiting on a car to pass by. They turned on their signal and slowed substantially as if they were going to turn right into the drive I was exiting. I almost proceeded to hop on the frontage road but then hesitated at the last moment (thankfully) as they continued to pass right on by.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Your recent posts sound like they belong in the wives thread, except, you’d be the wife.   Jesus man.  Get ahold of yourself 

Fuck you. Check the title of the thread, Nancy.

Correct that. I should’ve said Karen.

Edited by WhatTheBuck

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Correct.

And it is literally THE LAW that the left lane is for passing only. So, get the fuck over if you’re not passing.

I’ve always viewed class C misdemeanor type stuff as suggestions, but I am in agreement here.  I will continue to ignore the ones I disagree with as a minor act of rebellion, and my bank account will get dinged every so often as a result, and I’m fine with that.  Breaking the rules every now and then feels good.

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

In Germany, they teach his as part of your drivers ed. They also teach you to drive in the rain and snow, and first aid, but I digress.

We should make the licensing process a lot harder here in the states. Too many dumbasses on the road. Including the lady in the Prius who slowed down to 5 MPH at a left turn because... she's a woman.

Not just Germany. It's common driving on freeways over there that if you're coming up on a slow car in the fast lane that you want to pass to flicker your headlights at them to bring attention to the fact that you're coming up on them (can't hear the horn at high speed). It's not seen as rude in the slightest - much safer than tailgating a slow as Llogg.

I've done that a few times here on I-35, and you'd think I'd pulled the rudest maneuver ever borrowing that practice based on their reactions.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

On 5/4/2022 at 8:12 PM, bolverk said:

Also those who use them but way too damn early. A couple of days ago, I was leaving a parking lot to get onto a freeway frontage road but was waiting on a car to pass by. They turned on their signal and slowed substantially as if they were going to turn right into the drive I was exiting. I almost proceeded to hop on the frontage road but then hesitated at the last moment (thankfully) as they continued to pass right on by.

Never trust a right turn signal until they commit.  I've nearly been hit twice in situations like the one you described.  No more.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 8:34 PM, bolverk said:

Not just Germany. It's common driving on freeways over there that if you're coming up on a slow car in the fast lane that you want to pass to flicker your headlights at them to bring attention to the fact that you're coming up on them (can't hear the horn at high speed). It's not seen as rude in the slightest - much safer than tailgating a slow as Llogg.

I've done that a few times here on I-35, and you'd think I'd pulled the rudest maneuver ever borrowing that practice based on their reactions.

Reminds me of when we had someone from India visiting our office in Houston.  She actually rented a car for her stay.  If you have ever seen or heard people driving in India, it is part of their driving culture to use their horns just to let other drivers know that they are close by, among other things... people in autos, motorcycles and cars all do this.

As you can guess, her first few days driving in Houston were met with an assortment of finger waving and death stares and other less than welcome greetings.

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Stopped by Whataburger for a jalapeno biscuit w/ egg and bacon, after dropping my pup off at the groomers.  I found out they no longer make/sell jalapeno biscuits.  Fuck Chicago. 

the fuck you say? son of a bitch, way to ruin my Friday 

On 5/4/2022 at 8:12 PM, bolverk said:

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday. 

11 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Reminds me of when we had someone from India visiting our office in Houston.  She actually rented a car for her stay.  If you have ever seen or heard people driving in India, it is part of their driving culture to use their horns just to let other drivers know that they are close by, among other things... people in autos, motorcycles and cars all do this.

As you can guess, her first few days driving in Houston were met with an assortment of finger waving and death stares and other less than welcome greetings.

I have been to India numerous times. I refuse to drive over there as basic driving rules/understanding do not apply. 

I had a driver over there once that made me rather surly. I told him that if we were in a wreck that I was coming out of the car swinging and that the first person that I was going to hit was him. He got the message after a couple of firm swats on the shoulder and leg when he started doing stupid driving.

Canadians are REALLY nice. And it makes me surly. I don’t want to have conversations with a stranger every time i go anywhere.  Like I’m just waiting in line at a coffee shop or ordering food, leave me alone 

image.gif.9f25bfc7aafe258360963c4ceb889d6e.gif

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Canadians are REALLY nice. And it makes me surly. I don’t want to have conversations with a stranger every time i go anywhere.  Like I’m just waiting in line at a coffee shop or ordering food, leave me alone 

image.gif.9f25bfc7aafe258360963c4ceb889d6e.gif

Sorry, sorry. Sorry, sorry. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I wonder if this is how the trivial douchenozzle actually views himself. A tiny little self-congratulatory animated gif. From some pro wrestling goofball, no less.

Seems fitting. 

My God, stop being a whiny little bitch

• Like 2

Has anybody bitched about another concert venue named Moody yet?  Trivial, but this conversation could be a thing...

"To get to your hotel, take 183 to Ed Bluestein to Research Blvd."

"Are those right exits?"

"No exits, you just keep driving."

"Cool where's the venue?"

"Great little midsized joint called the Moody Theater.  Not the Moody Center, so get the right one.  It's also called ACL Live."

"Oh, Austin City Limits, I've heard of that."

"No, it's not that, that's outdoors on the other side of Town Lake.  I mean Lady Bird Lake.  Well, it is that if you're talking about the TV show."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

My next door neighbor runs the weed eater around his house and privacy fence BEFORE he mows.  Also beats the shit out of the fence doing it.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I mow first and get all I can with the mower, then finish up with the trimmer, taking care not to fuck the fence up with the string.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Not trivial, but received a 47% increase in my appraisal this year. 31% over the amount that I paid for it in an arms-length FSBO transaction in March, 2021. Sitting in the appraisal office now to talk to the flunky appraiser about it. 

56 minutes ago, nnm said:

Not trivial, but received a 47% increase in my appraisal this year. 31% over the amount that I paid for it in an arms-length FSBO transaction in March, 2021. Sitting in the appraisal office now to talk to the flunky appraiser about it. 

Not trivial at all...flat out enraging. 

2 hours ago, nnm said:

12 minutes ago, ABSR said:

56% YTY increase.  Not trivial.

Holy shit. Living in CA sucks in many ways, but Prop 13 says they can't increase your appraisal more than 1% every year. It leads to people hanging onto their home causing a housing shortage. I can't imagine the collective holy shits when everyone gets their appraisal.

2 hours ago, nnm said:

Update. Of course the flunky county appraiser Chad (really, his name is Chad) couldn’t make an adjustment based on documentation of an arm’s length sale of the property one year ago. I have to file a protest and take it to a hearing. 
The absolute best evidence of market value is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller. That is 31% below their appraisal. 
And the house was unliveable. Had to redo septic and multiple other systems before I could live there, to the tune of $100k. 

On 5/11/2022 at 9:42 PM, VolenteHawk said:

Has anybody bitched about another concert venue named Moody yet?  Trivial, but this conversation could be a thing...

"To get to your hotel, take 183 to Ed Bluestein to Research Blvd."

"Are those right exits?"

"No exits, you just keep driving."

"Cool where's the venue?"

"Great little midsized joint called the Moody Theater.  Not the Moody Center, so get the right one.  It's also called ACL Live."

"Oh, Austin City Limits, I've heard of that."

"No, it's not that, that's outdoors on the other side of Town Lake.  I mean Lady Bird Lake.  Well, it is that if you're talking about the TV show."

You left out the Moody Amphitheater. 

4 hours ago, nnm said:

Update. Of course the flunky county appraiser Chad (really, his name is Chad) couldn’t make an adjustment based on documentation of an arm’s length sale of the property one year ago. I have to file a protest and take it to a hearing. 
The absolute best evidence of market value is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller. That is 31% below their appraisal. 
And the house was unliveable. Had to redo septic and multiple other systems before I could live there, to the tune of $100k. 

So your argument is the house is worth what you paid for it a year ago and after you put $100k in it to make it habitable? You might want to rethink your approach when you go to the hearing. I don't think that line of reasoning is going to convince anyone.

1 hour ago, royiv said:

So your argument is the house is worth what you paid for it a year ago and after you put $100k in it to make it habitable? You might want to rethink your approach when you go to the hearing. I don't think that line of reasoning is going to convince anyone.

He’s got me, unfortunately I am not on the appraisal board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

My next door neighbor runs the weed eater around his house and privacy fence BEFORE he mows.  Also beats the shit out of the fence doing it.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I mow first and get all I can with the mower, then finish up with the trimmer, taking care not to fuck the fence up with the string.

I trim first, because i like the margin it gives the mower next to the fence, rock beds, and in corners. That way I'm also not beating up the mower wheels on the edges of the rock bed in the front yard. 

Agreed, Fuck beating the hell outta my fence with the trimmer.

Edited by slorch

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

I trim first, because i like the margin it gives the mower next to the fence, rock beds, and in corners. That way I'm also not beating up the mower wheels on the edges of the rock bed in the front yard. 

But the thing is, he doesn’t have any flower beds or landscaping, it’s just straight grass all around.  No trees in the back yard either.  Just a big square hunk of yard.  When we get the fence replaced I’m paying the extra to have a 6” rot board at the bottom. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 5/14/2022 at 7:25 AM, slorch said:

Same here, and also because trimmer cuttings can tend to be longer, mowing after trimming cuts them up very fine, or if you bag your clippings picks them up for a cleaner neater look.

• Hook 'Em 2

Kanas City Airport (MCI). What an absolute shithole that place has been for so many years. I have no hope when they open the new terminal next year that it will fix anything the way MCI is currently being run.  This past weekend flyout for graduations, nearest "Men's" room had no urinals... only 3 stalls... 2 working... line of 6 dudes (couple grunters on the clock)... so walked 7 gates to next nearest restroom (each servicing around 6-7 gates)... had one urinal and one stall. The urinal was "out of order" and looked like it had been for a long time and wasn't going to get fixed anytime soon.  The only working stall was way less sanitary than a concert festival port-a-potty. I barely could stand it long enough to wizz.  The wife needed to use the women's but opted to wait to use the plane restroom due to line and lack of cleaning.

Luckily there is almost no food or drink in the place so at least the "intake" was minimized.

7 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Kanas City Airport (MCI). What an absolute shithole that place has been for so many years. I have no hope when they open the new terminal next year that it will fix anything the way MCI is currently being run.  This past weekend flyout for graduations, nearest "Men's" room had no urinals... only 3 stalls... 2 working... line of 6 dudes (couple grunters on the clock)... so walked 7 gates to next nearest restroom (each servicing around 6-7 gates)... had one urinal and one stall. The urinal was "out of order" and looked like it had been for a long time and wasn't going to get fixed anytime soon.  The only working stall was way less sanitary than a concert festival port-a-potty. I barely could stand it long enough to wizz.  The wife needed to use the women's but opted to wait to use the plane restroom due to line and lack of cleaning.

Luckily there is almost no food or drink in the place so at least the "intake" was minimized.

I've seen portapotties in the American concourse at Newark before. 

Actually classed up the place. 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

https://youtu.be/Iw6tT93IEc4

• Hook 'Em 1