Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

49 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

"frankly" and "quite frankly" are verbal tics that either mean nothing to the listener, or imply that you've been less than '"quite frank" up to that time

This is like when someone says "To be honest", or "honestly".   I always want to ask if they have been less than honest before, and also to let me know when the honesty clause expires in what they are telling me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

"frankly" and "quite frankly" are verbal tics that either mean nothing to the listener, or imply that you've been less than '"quite frank" up to that time

Frankly implies I'm going to tell you something, bluntly and brutally, and you might not like it, but......

My phone broke today (speaker no longer works) and had to buy a new one. Damn near $900, just 2 weeks after I had to spend the same to get my wife a new phone. I know technology is a ton better than it used to be, but what happened to the free phone with contract days?

Edited by JSB

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

I make the decision to help clean up my inbox and unsubscribe from some stupid marketing mailing list I've somehow ended up on. First thing after hitting the button, I get an email notification from that same company. 

We're sorry to see that you unsubscribed? Was this a mistake? blahblahblah

Mother fucker, the reason I unsubscribed is that I don't ever want to get an email from you ever again. 

for me, /thread

14 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The most over rated general ever, but he was right about the Chinese, and Norks.

Interesting question, really, because that implies that there is a consensus that he was pretty good, but I'm not sure that's the case. Same sort of reason why Horatio Gates or George McClellan can't really be called "the most over rated ever" -- they may have been highly hyped at one time, but pretty much every historian who knows what the hell they are talking about knows that Gates was gawd-awful, and that Benedict Arnold saved his bacon. Likewise, "Old Mac" was probably one of the best pencil pushers to come out of the Civil War, but in the field? It's hard to find many who were worse than him, on either side.

You could make an argument for the Roman general Scipio, since his victories were mostly of the sort that pretty much anybody could have won were they in his position, yet he has a generally favorable reputation among historians. Marc Antony, too, has a sterling reputation, but the majority of the time, if he was on the victorious side, it was owing to the superior strategic vision of his mentor, Julius Caesar. On his own, he was a bit of a flop.

An argument could also be made for Napoleon, given his lack of long term thinking. Hard to argue with his tactical success, though.

In World War II, Mark Clark has a golden reputation, even though I always thought it sounded like he more or less bumbled into success in Italy. If he'd been facing anyone other than the Italians, it might have been a bit less of a rosy outcome.

Then of course there's Charles De Gaulle, who was much more effective as a politician than he ever had been as a military officer.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Interesting question, really, because that implies that there is a consensus that he was pretty good, but I'm not sure that's the case. Same sort of reason why Horatio Gates or George McClellan can't really be called "the most over rated ever" -- they may have been highly hyped at one time, but pretty much every historian who knows what the hell they are talking about knows that Gates was gawd-awful, and that Benedict Arnold saved his bacon. Likewise, "Old Mac" was probably one of the best pencil pushers to come out of the Civil War, but in the field? It's hard to find many who were worse than him, on either side.

You could make an argument for the Roman general Scipio, since his victories were mostly of the sort that pretty much anybody could have won were they in his position, yet he has a generally favorable reputation among historians. Marc Antony, too, has a sterling reputation, but the majority of the time, if he was on the victorious side, it was owing to the superior strategic vision of his mentor, Julius Caesar. On his own, he was a bit of a flop.

An argument could also be made for Napoleon, given his lack of long term thinking. Hard to argue with his tactical success, though.

In World War II, Mark Clark has a golden reputation, even though I always thought it sounded like he more or less bumbled into success in Italy. If he'd been facing anyone other than the Italians, it might have been a bit less of a rosy outcome.

Then of course there's Charles De Gaulle, who was much more effective as a politician than he ever had been as a military officer.

All pretty good examples.  

Mac Arthur was extremely popular with the average citizen, and was given the MOH because of that (per The Admirals).   That's why I refer to his status as over rated.  His peers didn't think he was great of course.

MacClellan was popular with the citizenry even after he was removed from the army of the Potomac. Many thought Mac would/could come back and win the war, and even become president ala the next Napoleon.

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

My across the street neighbor started mowing his yard at 7:10 this morning.  On a Saturday.  Then at 7:45 he commenced with weed-eating/edging.   Talk about burning you up a bit.   

Just trying to get it done before it starts pouring down rain. 

45 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

My across the street neighbor started mowing his yard at 7:10 this morning.  On a Saturday.  Then at 7:45 he commenced with weed-eating/edging.   Talk about burning you up a bit.

He's giving you permission to shoot off fireworks until midnight. Take him up on it. 

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Shiiiiiiit. That’s like 3 hours from now.  The general rule for the weekends is no earlier than 9.  Even if it was 8:15/20 I’d let it slide, but 7:15 is early as shit to mow the yard on a weekend

Does it bother you because you are still sleeping? Or just because you want some quiet to start off your weekend?  Because the grown ups are all up by 7 AM. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Does it bother you because you are still sleeping? Or just because you want some quiet to start off your weekend?  Because the grown ups are all up by 7 AM. 

I was fully awake by then, but just enjoy some quiet relaxation to start off a weekend.  I wake up everyday at the same time 

Call 911 and report a hostage situation at his house. The SWAT team will take care of your problem.

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Buy $5-10 worth of Matchbox cars (earth tones and camouflage paint jobs preferred) and toss them here and there in the dudes yard. 

Next time he mows at 7am will be a little more exciting for him. And you. 

samkinnisonbacktoschool.jpeg

56 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
6 hours ago, Trey3216 said:
I was fully awake by then, but just enjoy some quiet relaxation to start off a weekend.  I wake up everyday at the same time 

Maybe your husband can get you a spa day if you need to relax.

As in...I hadn’t even brewed my coffee and gotten to enjoy a cup yet.  

• Like 1