Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Four public oil companies in Austin.  Tens of thousands of Austinites with deep ties to the industry.  Let’s add four non-stops to ABIA.   Okay!

should we add Midland-Odessa?  Nope, Des Moines, Asheville (which is actually cool, i love it there), Knoxville, and Grand Rapids.  

What the fuck?   I saw the announcement for four new non stops and though my life was going to get infinitely easier.  It will be when my job in Knoxville pans out.  

I think there are only three NYSE listed energy companies in Austin.  Only the two smaller ones are active in the Permian.  

If you want direct flights to Midland-Odessa, move to Houston.

Edited by nnm

Publicly traded can also mean NASDAQ.  Nevermind the OTC(BB).  Even if there were no oil companies here, no oil attorneys, no oil investors, no oil funds, no oil executives living here for quality of life over the Permian, even if all that was true.....we have non-stop flights to all other population centers in Texas from Austin, why not that one?  

Why fucking Knoxville?  Why Grand Rapids?  I can't even think of a prank reason we'd need flights between there and Austin.  

I am on elevator alone.  Elevator door opens, guy gets on.  As doors are closing, he sees his buddy, so he half steps out and the doors re-open.  He then proceeds to have a little conversation, half-in, half-out of the elevator, fighting the doors three times in a row.

I am on elevator alone.  Elevator door opens, guy gets on.  As doors are closing, he sees his buddy, so he half steps out and the doors re-open.  He then proceeds to have a little conversation, half-in, half-out of the elevator, fighting the doors three times in a row.

Assholes abound. Did he at least say sorry for the hold up?

24 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

That's when you push him out and hit the close door button

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

And you just stood there?

3 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

And you didn't say anything?

3 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

That's why God gave you the ability to stand on one foot...and kick his ass out with the other.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 6:49 PM, Tom said:

Wrong.  I am progressive and forward thinking. 

See I have a Zune that holds most of my songs I ripped from my Now That's What I Call Music collection.  I also scored a sweet high-end auxiliary cassette adapter.  So I just pop that baby into my cassette player and I am good to go.  I am my own radio.  I am the future. 

I like to run. The iPos shuffle is awesome. I hate carrying my cell phone when running. I took my fucked up iPod to the Apple store and they told me they stopped making that shit years ago. 

Seriously, what idiot wants to carry a phone when they're running?

• Like 3

My 20 year old Kenmore dishwasher finally quit working right. Replaced the heating element and it worked for a couple weeks then took another shit. Decided to invest in a new, more efficient unit. Found a GE that I liked at Lowe's and ordered for delivery. This was right after New Year, so I cut them a little slack on logistics. A week goes by and I get a call that goes to vm because I don't answer random numbers. It says the unit has to be shipped from another store and will be ready in a few days.

Yesterday arrives, but without my dishwasher. WTF? Online status say processing. I call Lowe's CS line and after a 5 minute hold am told the unit is waiting for my pickup at the store. I told her it was a deliver, ahem, FREE delivery and I still wanted delivery. She put me on hold again for a couple minutes, said the earliest she could schedule me was a week from tomorrow. I got pissed and cancelled the order. Went back online, looked around and still couldn't find a better deal than this dishwasher, so I said fuck it and reordered the same damn one. Less than 30 minutes later I'm on the phone with the local delivery guys and it will be here at 10 am tomorrow.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

I like to run. The iPos shuffle is awesome. I hate carrying my cell phone when running. I took my fucked up iPod to the Apple store and they told me they stopped making that shit years ago. 

a0f600cc22dd24ab8140869d75d267b7

18 hours ago, RPM said:

My 20 year old Kenmore dishwasher finally quit working right. Replaced the heating element and it worked for a couple weeks then took another shit. Decided to invest in a new, more efficient unit. Found a GE that I liked at Lowe's and ordered for delivery. This was right after New Year, so I cut them a little slack on logistics. A week goes by and I get a call that goes to vm because I don't answer random numbers. It says the unit has to be shipped from another store and will be ready in a few days.

Yesterday arrives, but without my dishwasher. WTF? Online status say processing. I call Lowe's CS line and after a 5 minute hold am told the unit is waiting for my pickup at the store. I told her it was a deliver, ahem, FREE delivery and I still wanted delivery. She put me on hold again for a couple minutes, said the earliest she could schedule me was a week from tomorrow. I got pissed and cancelled the order. Went back online, looked around and still couldn't find a better deal than this dishwasher, so I said fuck it and reordered the same damn one. Less than 30 minutes later I'm on the phone with the local delivery guys and it will be here at 10 am tomorrow.

Had the exact same problem with a fridge last year. Solved it the same way, too. At least they’re consistent in their fuckery. 

• Like 1

I think I have one in a drawer that I'll mail you for free if I can figure out how to erase all the shitty music from 15 years ago.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
On 1/15/2020 at 10:58 PM, Thetexashammer said:

I think I have one in a drawer that I'll mail you for free if I can figure out how to erase all the shitty music from 15 years ago.

Found my old shuffle while purging shit over the holiday break. Would love to figure out a way to make it work but It’s probably not worth the effort.

i do agree with the sentiment of it being a nice alternative to having to carry around a phone while running. 

Addendum to my dishwasher tale. Washer comes in, but I don't have time to install it until tonight. Unbox it, pull the old one out and the damn cutoff valve starts leaking. No prob, I'll swap them fast. I knew I had to use the old power cord, no big deal. Get that swapped and go to hook up the water. Huge problem. The new one has garden hose threads and requires a 90° elbow adapter to 3/8 hose thread. (which conveniently is not included or even fucking mentioned until you unbox the installation instructions. Nowhere that might remotely have that oddball fitting in stock is open at midnight so I had to turn the valve back on (it 99% stopped dripping) and shove the old washer back in the hole. Now I have 2 dishwashers and neither one works, But on the bright side, I have plumbing to do tomorrow replacing that fucking leaky valve. fml

^thats ok, when I finally came to the modern era and got a fridge with an automatic ice maker, unopened the little valve and sunuva bjtch leaked.   Ok, turned it off went and got a replacement, had to shut off the main valve at the street, replaced the fridge valve, hooked it all up, opened the main valve and that pos started leaking.  Had to have a plumber come in early June to replace the main valve for $600. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

^thats ok, when I finally came to the modern era and got a fridge with an automatic ice maker, unopened the little valve and sunuva bjtch leaked.   Ok, turned it off went and got a replacement, had to shut off the main valve at the street, replaced the fridge valve, hooked it all up, opened the main valve and that pos started leaking.  Had to have a plumber come in early June to replace the main valve for $600. 

That sounds like my luck 

drinking cups for kids.

i have 1 ZAK lid. 2 ZAK bottles, one with Minnie mouse, and one with Peppa Pig. of course the lid doesn't fit on the Disney one at all, but fits nicely with the Peppa one. So we have a tote in the cabinet packed high with any combo of lids, cups, straws, whatever but finding the right fit is next to impossible. 

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

People that make no effort to show respect at a wedding or funeral by dressing like they are doing yard work.

I'l certainly echo that when it comes to funerals.  I think the entire practice is absolutely bat-shit insane.  And the tradition of showing up dressed in black business attire, or similar is just a pain in the ass.  As is bringing flowers that will die faster than the corpse.  But I've heard dozens of family mourners over the years comment on how much they appreciated so many folks turning out for their dear old uncle/mother/brother/etc.  And how nice it was to see folks they haven't seen in years looking their best and just "being there" for them.  If busting your ass and spending a few bucks to make it to a funeral to just be one of 20 or 100 dressed-up mourners to offer some brief solace to the family of the departed, then do it.  It's those little moments of comfort in the days, weeks, and months following an expected death that offer a tad of respite in an otherwise bewildering time.  And yeah, it just doesn't say "I'm here for you " when you show up after your shift at Arby's in work attire. But you brought extra curly fries for the pall bearers and I know you meant well.  

Having said that, who gives a shit what you wear to a wedding?  I'm not even in the wedding but i gotta go spend $200 on some shirt/tie combo that you told me wife just "goes" with the color palate of the day even though I'm not standing up.  The church harbored pedophiles, the bride is a human train-wreck, the groom is drugged out of his mind, the parents are fucking clueless, the whole ceremony is a maxed out credit card mistake, the reception is gonna just be some turkey on styrofoam plates and my bar tab, and I'm in for a $600 airfare because you d decided to get married as far away from an airport as possible.  You're divorced before the decade is done so I'm gonna go business casual and you'll be lucky to have that.  I'm sorry I don't have a suit that matches the bales of hay at your buffet of regret and lies.  

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

Having said that, who gives a shit what you wear to a wedding?  I'm not even in the wedding but i gotta go spend $200 on some shirt/tie combo that you told me wife just "goes" with the color palate of the day even though I'm not standing up.  The church harbored pedophiles, the bride is a human train-wreck, the groom is drugged out of his mind, the parents are fucking clueless, the whole ceremony is a maxed out credit card mistake, the reception is gonna just be some turkey on styrofoam plates and my bar tab, and I'm in for a $600 airfare because you d decided to get married as far away from an airport as possible.  You're divorced before the decade is done so I'm gonna go business casual and you'll be lucky to have that.  I'm sorry I don't have a suit that matches the bales of hay at your buffet of regret and lies.  

Just had a fancy, schmancy wedding for my son in November.  They both have zero debt from school and great jobs, so they spared no expense on themselves, the dinners, etc. Humble brag, whatever, it was their deal, not ours. By several magnitudes, it was the fanciest wedding I had ever attended.

Nobody said shit about what anyone else was wearing.  Nobody showed up scuzzed out, but I heard zero comments about Uncle Joe's tie not matching or Aunt Mary's dress looking like shit.  Then again,  both families are normal fucking people, besides me; who showed up basically in their Sunday best, ready to celebrate their wedding. Fuck the people who are in it for their reasons/ social bullshit/ comparing dicks( figuratively speaking/) and wallets.  Couldn't agree more with your sentiment towards people who are 'faking it' or just trying to impress someone.

I do not and have never and never will care what another person wears in any situation unless they are wearing something that belongs to me or are wearing something unsanitary. The hierarchy of clothes is such bullshit. Denim below khakis below slacks below whatever is so fucking arbitrary. Wear what you want. If I'm not wearing it why would I give two shits?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

Just had a fancy, schmancy wedding for my son in November.  They both have zero debt from school and great jobs, so they spared no expense on themselves, the dinners, etc. Humble brag, whatever, it was their deal, not ours. By several magnitudes, it was the fanciest wedding I had ever attended.

Nobody said shit about what anyone else was wearing.  Nobody showed up scuzzed out, but I heard zero comments about Uncle Joe's tie not matching or Aunt Mary's dress looking like shit.  Then again,  both families are normal fucking people, besides me; who showed up basically in their Sunday best, ready to celebrate their wedding. Fuck the people who are in it for their reasons/ social bullshit/ comparing dicks( figuratively speaking/) and wallets.  Couldn't agree more with your sentiment towards people who are 'faking it' or just trying to impress someone.

What were they, farmers?

• Like 1

I do not and have never and never will care what another person wears in any situation unless they are wearing something that belongs to me or are wearing something unsanitary. The hierarchy of clothes is such bullshit. Denim below khakis below slacks below whatever is so fucking arbitrary. Wear what you want. If I'm not wearing it why would I give two shits?
Even cargo shorts?
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RPM said:

What were they, farmers?

1) LOLz, but you must not know many farmers, with regard to debt. 

2) One's degree is from West Point, with time being currently served  for his "free" education.  She lived at home with her parents the past 2 years after graduating and paid off all of her student loans.  The wedding became something of a celebration of the hard work/ sacrifice they had both put in.  They pulled it off very nicely where it was elegant/ fancy without insisting upon itself to impress anyone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Llogg said:

I have a big problem with how professionals dress to work, when it doesn't align with professional.  I use that term loosely, b/c I'm talking about a school setting.  Teachers dress so incredibly sloppy, and it sets a terrible example for kids.

• Like 4

I wore slacks, an Oxford button down shirt, and a tie during my school career.
In retirement 95% of the time its drawstring shorts, polo shirt (untucked), white socks (feet don’t like color dyes), and loafer-style sketchers. If it is cold, then sweat pants.

My only suit dates from 1986 and has not been worn in this century.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

In retirement 95% of the time its drawstring shorts, polo shirt (untucked), white socks (feet don’t like color dyes), and loafer-style sketchers. If it is cold, then sweat pants.

Good sir, you are my sartorial hero, and represent everything to which I aspire. 

I hate wearing a suit and tie, to the extent that one of the main reasons that I want to be cremated when I die is so that I won't have to rot for eternity in a suit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

That's just how I had you pictured in my mind

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ernest_t_bass said:

I have a big problem with how professionals dress to work, when it doesn't align with professional.  I use that term loosely, b/c I'm talking about a school setting.  Teachers dress so incredibly sloppy, and it sets a terrible example for kids.

How? It sets the example that appearances and dressing fancy are superficial meaningless bullshit.

26 minutes ago, Llogg said:

How? It sets the example that appearances and dressing fancy are superficial meaningless bullshit.

I think he may have meant, or at least I'd like to think he may have meant (the internet isn't real) that it just sends the message that "I teacher got up with enough time to spare this morning to put on some business casual clothes and put myself together because my time with you is important to me and I hope it's important to you.  This little gesture is one of many little gestures I make before I even walk into the classroom to show that I respect and care for each of you and about happens in this room during our time together and beyond."  

I don't give a fuck what people dress like but they do need to indicate in some small way that they appreciate our time together because my time is quite valuable.  There are plenty of ways to do it beside clothing, but clothing is just an easy (and relatively constant) way to demonstrate that you prepared for our time/meeting/class.  If you put some effort into it, it will show, and it will tell the schoolchildren or whomever that this person was thinking about us while getting ready this morning and it shows.  They were preparing to be great in front of me so they must have been mentally preparing as well.  That means a lot to some people.  I don't give a shit what you look like, but you better have put some forethought into our discussion today or you're on my shitlist.  If you don't like wearing a jacket or sportcoat, fine...but figure out some other way to show you were thinking about this event before you left the house.    

But my days of giving a fuck what people want you to wear their weddings are long over.  Ties are for the 3 f's---funerals, fundraisers, and fucking fetishes 

Edited by Lobo