Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

I like black pepper on just about anything not labeled as a dessert. Most sane people would call it too much pepper. Restaurant shakers usually don’t have holes big enough to let the pepper flow freely, so I have to take the top off like I'm a Neanderthal.

Same goes for crushed red pepper shakers. And yes, I know what all about pepper mills. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I like black pepper on just about anything not labeled as a dessert. Most sane people would call it too much pepper. Restaurant shakers usually don’t have holes big enough to let the pepper flow freely, so I have to take the top off like I'm a Neanderthal.

I too love black pepper and apply it generously. What always amazes me about those classic pepper shakers in restaurants, where you can't get any pepper to come out because the holes are so small, is that when you unscrew the top, pepper falls all over the place like it's been filled with way more pepper than it can hold. How do they do that? And why?

Ketchup bottles I get. Keep those filled. But leave a little air in the pepper shaker so you can, you know, actually shake it out. Pack it in too tightly and it renders the delivery vehicle inoperative. 

I love that many/most restaurants have switched to pepper mills. Nothing beats fresh ground black pepper.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I too love black pepper and apply it generously. What always amazes me about those classic pepper shakers in restaurants, where you can't get any pepper to come out because the holes are so small, is that when you unscrew the top, pepper falls all over the place like it's been filled with way more pepper than it can hold. How do they do that? And why?

Ketchup bottles I get. Keep those filled. But leave a little air in the pepper shaker so you can, you know, actually shake it out. Pack it in too tightly and it renders the delivery vehicle inoperative. 

I love that many/most restaurants have switched to pepper mills. Nothing beats fresh ground black pepper.

I was going to add that part, too. It happened to me this morning. I’ve learned to open them over what I want seasoned instead of over my lap. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

It must be bring your dog to home depot day

That drives me fucking crazy. I can't take my 4-year old there anymore on the weekends because every other shithead in town thinks nobody on Earth has ever seen a Labrador before so this is our chance to be educated.  

18 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Their main motivation is to fill the shakers as infrequently as possible, and it shows.

Same goes for crushed red pepper shakers. And yes, I know what all about pepper mills. 
I do this. And for some reason especially on Cesar and wedge salads.

grinders for salt and pepper in any restaurant at the table.  While I am not remotely a germophobe, grabbing and twisting something with both hands that is virtually guaranteed to be filthy while eating in a public place just makes me want to go wash my hands again afterwords.  At least with traditional shakers, you can use a couple fingers from your left hand and it's done.  With the grinders, you're basically giving the devices a big ole two handed hug and rubbing them vigorously.  No fucking thank you.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

grinders for salt and pepper in any restaurant at the table.  While I am not remotely a germophobe, grabbing and twisting something with both hands that is virtually guaranteed to be filthy while eating in a public place just makes me want to go wash my hands again afterwords.  At least with traditional shakers, you can use a couple fingers from your left hand and it's done.  With the grinders, you're basically giving the devices a big ole two handed hug and rubbing them vigorously.  No fucking thank you.

How do you feel about doorknobs in public places?

Just now, nnm said:

How do you feel about doorknobs in public places?

The doorknob I have to turn to run my plate/ fork?

Like I said, I'm no germophobe, but the salt/pepper grinders just gross me out. the fact that it is involved with the eating process is a gamechanger.  Out in public, I really don't GAF about door handles and whatnot.  I'm also pretty conscientious about not touching my eyes/ mouth without having washed my hands.

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

That is why we carry Wet Ones wherever we go. Especially after using the gas pump handle to fill the car.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:33 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

If you're gonna put unsecured trash in the back of your pickup and drive down my road, I'm gonna start throwing roofing nails out in the middle of it from time to time. Because fuck you and your styrofoam trash all over my lawn. Jesus.

You're going to throw roofing nails on your own road? That'll show em!