Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Microsoft is the devil and Bill Gates is the Anti-Christ.  He won't be satisfied until every person in the world needs his explicit permission to use their own computer.  Fuck him right in his windows goat ass.

So your pirated shit suddenly doesn’t work, huh?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Microsoft is the devil and Bill Gates is the Anti-Christ.  He won't be satisfied until every person in the world needs his explicit permission to use their own computer.  Fuck him right in his windows goat ass.

Yep., what Windows wants to do always takes priority over what I want to do. Started making the switch to Linux about a year and a half ago, and changed over completely about 9-10 months ago.

I would pay extra for the ability to just stick with XP for the rest of my life. None of the useless bullshit that has been added to any of the Office Suite programs is an actual improvement, at least as far as I'm concerned. Just change for the sake of forcing change and collecting incremental tolls from users. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I hate content management systems that make you "confirm" every stupid little detail especially shit that can easily be undone. 

Like I have to confirm that I want to "publish" a document, even though if I mess up I can easily unpublish it with a simple click.  Except then I have to confirm my unpublish.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I would pay extra for the ability to just stick with XP for the rest of my life. None of the useless bullshit that has been added to any of the Office Suite programs is an actual improvement, at least as far as I'm concerned. Just change for the sake of forcing change and collecting incremental tolls from users. 

I still run Windows 7. It's great. Don't have to deal with the intrusive bullshit of Windows 10. XP was great, too. Windows 10 blows.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
On 8/30/2020 at 9:24 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

I still run Windows 7. It's great. Don't have to deal with the intrusive bullshit of Windows 10. XP was great, too. Windows 10 blows.

3.1 or nothing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/30/2020 at 9:24 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

It's not really a question of UI improvements, more of a question of better security and whether or not Microsoft is shipping necessary patches. You can stick with XP if you want but its kind of like driving a car that got recalled for faulty brakes. 

So they should fix the fucking security issues and leave the Office Suite alone. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I'm not clamoring for whatever security flaws XP and other systems have, but rather criticizing the many "improvements" and unnecessary changes that seem to be unavoidably associated with new operating systems. Like integrating LinkedIn with Word and Outlook - that is not a security improvement. Nor is it anything that needed to be done. It's stupid bloat and I hate it almost as much as I hate having to relearn how to do shit because Microsoft needs to make changes in order to render their previous products obsolete. 

There are a thousand other usability- and continuity-related inconveniences that Microsoft has forced on longtime users that I don't care to list.

17 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Maybe I wasn't clear enough,

No, I understand you fine. I'm making the point that there are things under the hood that you need to consider if you are sticking with an old version of Windows. Developers changing UI for the sake of changing it drives me crazy, too. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep using Windows xp. Whether or not they leave other changes alone they are going to make security improvements.

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

So they should fix the fucking security issues and leave the Office Suite alone. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I'm not clamoring for whatever security flaws XP and other systems have, but rather criticizing the many "improvements" and unnecessary changes that seem to be unavoidably associated with new operating systems. Like integrating LinkedIn with Word and Outlook - that is not a security improvement. Nor is it anything that needed to be done. It's stupid bloat and I hate it almost as much as I hate having to relearn how to do shit because Microsoft needs to make changes in order to render their previous products obsolete. 

There are a thousand other usability- and continuity-related inconveniences that Microsoft has forced on longtime users that I don't care to list.

sounds like upgrading office was your problem, not upgrading windows

On 8/29/2020 at 11:06 PM, NorthLoop said:

Drivers who don't understand the rules of a pedestrian crosswalk. Austin drivers generally get it but here in NB they'll sit there and wait for the blinking light to stop before they go. Meanwhile the pedestrian is already 2 blocks away. 

Probably the same people who stop for a school bus on the opposite side of a divided boulevard.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/1/2018 at 5:06 PM, TexasHooch said:

Restaurants that have "boneless wings" on the menu. When I order chicken wings, I hate having to clarify that I want the damn bones in them. Feel free to keep your sauced up nuggets on the menu, but please don't call them wings.

Man after my own heart.  TEAM SAUCY NUGS!!!!11

It makes me surly, and I don't know that it's all that trivial.  But when powerful people have photographers snap pictures of people visiting the cemeteries of their children.  

Something about it...I dunno.  Rubs me the wrong way.  It's becoming an accepted practice as of late.  Makes me surly.  

This confuses me.  Are the powerful people having people take pictures of people visiting the graves of the powerful people's children or people visiting the graves of the other people's children?  Is this really a thing?  What do they do with the pictures?  I feel like i'm not very informed as I had no idea this was a thing.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Podcast hosts who yell and/or laugh too hard at shit that isn't very funny. 

I have tried, but I just don't get podcasts. I can tolerate a couple, if the episodes usually run about 20 minutes and it's edited well.

But when someone sends me one to listen to, and the run time is like an hour 20, and the first five minutes are mindless banter about what they had for lunch, I am punching out.

Podcast hosts should have a marker you can jump to where they actually start to get to the fucking point. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TornACL said:

I have tried, but I just don't get podcasts. I can tolerate a couple, if the episodes usually run about 20 minutes and it's edited well.

But when someone sends me one to listen to, and the run time is like an hour 20, and the first five minutes are mindless banter about what they had for lunch, I am punching out.

Podcast hosts should have a marker you can jump to where they actually start to get to the fucking point. 

1.5x play speed.  Don't leave home without it.

That said, there is an incredibly high noise to signal ratio in the podcast world.  Even the ultra popular brand name channel produce some absolute fluff.

NPRs money related podcast sounds like Finance for Fifth Graders.  The popular general interest "Stuff You Should Know" podcast is basically just 2 goobers (with some mild speech impediment) having a conversation over a Wikipedia article.

The production quality (writing/script) of this stuff is horrible. And they should hear how horrible they are.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know when I am dealing with fast food employees, they are used to getting abused by customers and/or aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. 

But asking for a simple item ends up being wrong every single time.

I figure I have a variation of a chicken nugget/tender about 1 time every 10 days or so.  Actual place varies month to month.. WB, McD's Church's, Wendy's , CkikFila, etc

I am asked what sauce I want  (most let you have 2) and each time I ask for 1 ea honey and BBQ.  Straight bee-made honey.  Not honey mustard. 

I ask for honey and BBQ sauce and 90+ % of the time, I get honey mustard and BBQ.

If its at the drive through with the visible order screen I make sure it says honey.  Even then,  I can see they add the honey mustard sauce, and I clarify again- that I just want a honey packet and a bbq packet.  And that concept totally and completely locks their brain... even when I clarify regular honey (and the visible screen SAYS honey), a huge percentage of the time I still end up getting honey mustard when they hand me the bag. 

Its not a special order, everyone of these places has honey packets- most to put on biscuits, But regardless, its not a super special item I am asking for.  instead of 2 BBQ packs, give me 1 honey, and 1 BBQ. 

nope

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Like 1