Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

fuck whoever decided that GU24 bulb sockets should be a thing

Fluorescent bulbs for anything other than industrial/commercial applications. Those idiotic twisted bulbs that Congress mandated for a few years until LCD became standard are horrific. They’re dim, burn out far faster than incandescent, and are loaded with mercury. I hate them and the person that invented them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

I member when you didn't pump your own gas, that was the attendants job. 

“Fill ‘er up; regular.” Heard my dad say that a thousand times. Then while the gas was pumping they’d wash the windows and check the oil and the tire pressure. Shell used to have a promotion where you could get this collector’s book and every time you filled up they’d give you stickers of pro football players that you could paste into the book. They were like trading cards but, obviously, weren’t made for trading. I recall having stickers of players like Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Roman Gabriel, and Joe Namath. 

32 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

“Fill ‘er up; regular.” Heard my dad say that a thousand times. Then while the gas was pumping they’d wash the windows and check the oil and the tire pressure. Shell used to have a promotion where you could get this collector’s book and every time you filled up they’d give you stickers of pro football players that you could paste into the book. They were like trading cards but, obviously, weren’t made for trading. I recall having stickers of players like Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Roman Gabriel, and Joe Namath. 

And that sweet leaded gas—filling our lungs and dimming our brains while we sailed down the highway in the back of the truck, perched on the side of the bed. Good times. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, nnm said:

And that sweet leaded gas—filling our lungs and dimming our brains while we sailed down the highway in the back of the truck, perched on the side of the bed. Good times. 

Never wore sear belts. When they came out with cars that would ding if the belts weren’t buckled, some people would just buckle them and sit on them. (Of course there were no shoulder straps back then.) My dad would take his new car to a guy who disabled the sensor. And I’d lie down behind the back seats, under the rear window, and take a nap. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Never wore sear belts. When they came out with cars that would ding if the belts weren’t buckled, some people would just buckle them and sit on them. (Of course there were no shoulder straps back then.) My dad would take his new car to a guy who disabled the sensor. And I’d lie down behind the back seats, under the rear window, and take a nap. 

My first truck did not have seat belts. 1968 Ford F-150. Straight 6 240 cubic inches.

Growing up my parents had a platform that hooked over the back of the front seats to provide one flat continuous surface in the back of the car to play around on while traveling.

Same guy could also roll back 40,000 miles for $50.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don't remember if it was Gulf or Sinclair, but one of them gave away dishes and glasses with a fill up. Mom had a full set. Used to get bath towels in laundry detergent, too.

I really hate anything that pops up on my screen when I'm trying to watch a show.  YouTube, of course, is notorious for this, though, I've recently taken the advice of someone on here and found an ad-blocker when I'm on my Chromebook.

I was watch a lot of the Discovery Channel.  They're constantly putting popup ads for other shows on the bottom 3rd of the screen.  Drives me crazy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, nnm said:

Fluorescent bulbs for anything other than industrial/commercial applications. Those idiotic twisted bulbs that Congress mandated for a few years until LCD became standard are horrific. They’re dim, burn out far faster than incandescent, and are loaded with mercury. I hate them and the person that invented them. 

those came in good old edison screws, so i have no idea why GU24 is needed.  i assume GU24 is part of the reason the public hates CFLs.

Edited by elfenix

On 3/15/2021 at 9:30 AM, Trey3216 said:

Adjusting a 5 month old's sleeping/eating habits to daylight savings time.  Fucking unbearable.  6 attempts to put her down last night went up in flames, only for me to end up holding her and passing out on the couch until 3, then having to bring her to our bed for the rest of the night.  Helluva way to start a week.  

That plus good old fashioned sleep regression will make you almost go insane. We were you last year at this time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markstanco said:
20 hours ago, davidg said:
Dad wasn't about to let the gas station monkey check out any thing on his vehicles.

It's weird in oregon where full service is all that is available. Just sit back and relax.

375x250.jpg

• Like 1

The oil crunch in the early/mid 70's changed things here in Texas. Independent owners went out of business, federal regulations (EPA) further forced mom and pop joints out of business. East coast I think was sufficiently in the grip of unions that they weathered that storm differently than we did here. Driving habits and mass trans also impacted how things run, I'm sure. 

On 3/15/2021 at 8:27 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

You can buys these and still bypass the "ding"

$_2.jpeg

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Yeah, I remember visiting friends in NY city in the mid 80's and it was illegal, or so I was told, for a person to pump their own gas. Unions, yo. 

Pumping gas is one thing but checking around under another man's hood is altogether different.

Our 888 number is one digit different than the number for Rooms To Go customer service. Teresa Rivera is tired of my shit and wants to talk with a Spanish speaker so she can properly tell me us about the shitty sofa she purchased. I have given her the correct number to call 4 times now but she has rage induced hearing loss.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Our 888 number is one digit different than the number for Rooms To Go customer service. Teresa Rivera is tired of my shit and wants to talk with a Spanish speaker so she can properly tell me us about the shitty sofa she purchased. I have given her the correct number to call 4 times now but she has rage induced hearing loss.

You could have so much fun with this...

3 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Our number is one off from the Mexican Consulate in Houston. It's a shit show when none of the bilingual receptionists are on staff. 

3 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Starts looking up RTG customer service number to miss-dial and give STM a ration of shit.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

‘Why don’t you just tell me which sofa you want?’

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Starts looking up RTG customer service number to miss-dial and give STM a ration of shit.

KayLeah, the office manager, gets most of these. I only cover phones while she's at lunch. I guarantee you that she is more pleasant than I am. She would have had Teresa wanting to buy the matching end tables.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
spelling and shit

Just now, Shoxthemonkey said:

KayLeah, the office manager, gets most of these. I only cover phones while she's at lunch. I guarantee you that she is more pleasant than I am. She would have had Teresa wanting to buy the matching end tables.

Pics of KayLeah so we know who we are talking to?    /obligatorilysurlyresponse

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

B0KqYXVCMAAXOys.jpg

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

25b902d3-6509-498d-8442-72c829523476_tex

We just went to VOIP on Verizon one talk (they suck) and my previous number was owned by a lady named tamika, and she apparently didn't pay bills and loved to party with numerous guys. The texts and voice-mails are less than 6 months ago but still the occasional.

Someone quite junior wants to explore contracting with us and asked for an informational type interview with me. Sure, I can do a Zoom.

Oh no, she’s so sorry, something urgent, can we reschedule.  Shit happens, it’s COVID, ok.  Oh no, the time she proposed and accepted...there is something she needs to be at.  Can we reschedule the reschedule? 

Nope.  Granted, she’s quite cute and I have no doubt men of all ages will do this routine if they’re the ones asking her on a date.  Good chance to learn that in the professional world, people who are trying to get money don’t flake out on people who have money to give. 

• Like 1

Apple's optimized charging has decided that your device will fully charge by 02:00 AM (checked clock, it was 6:00 PM at the time).  Mother fucker, if I wanted my shit charged at 2:00 in the AM I would plug it in when I went to bed.  I plugged it in now because I want my shit fucking charged.
.4ff0e977db758a2898c20d9d1e67e069.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 11:15 PM, markstanco said:
On 3/17/2021 at 9:19 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

We just went to VOIP on Verizon one talk (they suck) and my previous number was owned by a lady named tamika, and she apparently didn't pay bills and loved to party with numerous guys. The texts and voice-mails are less than 6 months ago but still the occasional.

These voice mails need to be posted verbatim in a separate thread.