Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

When I was in school I had a part time job telemarketing for the local cable company. (Warner Cable, formerly Qube, before the merger with Time, now Spectrum.) We could smoke cigarettes in the office. I could call you up and you could hear me light up and exhale a big puff of smoke without seriously affecting the rhythm of my patter. And I was the leader on the sales board.

Then they instituted a policy where the smokers had to use smokeless ashtrays. We were all working in little cubicles. Then they changed it to where we could only smoke in the break room. Then they made us all go outside to smoke. Then they banned smoking on the premises altogether. And that was before California was the first state to pass a law banning smoking in public places, which I was there to witness.

It went into effect on 12:00 AM on Jan 1. I was out there for some NYE concert and we went to a sports bar the next day to watch whatever bowl game the Buckeyes were playing in. I asked a waitress how things had gone down the night before. I figured they probably just blew it off until the next day. But she said, “Nope.” At midnight they went around and collected all the ashtrays and from that moment on all the smokers had to go outside to light up.

I also remember riding on buses and airplanes that had “smoking sections” as if everyone on board wasn’t getting exposed to the cigarette smoke. And that was as a child who never smoked before. 

We had a smoking area at my high school for students. Unfortunately it was where the buses dropped students off. As a freshman I rode the bus to school and had to walk the gauntlet of smokers to get into the school. Nothing like a lot of smoke inhalation early in the morning!

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I also remember riding on buses and airplanes that had “smoking sections” as if everyone on board wasn’t getting exposed to the cigarette smoke. And that was as a child who never smoked before. 

First airplane flight I ever took was a DFW-NRT nonstop riding in the back with a bunch of Japanese folks who smoked like chimneys.  Only to be surpassed by a flight from Beijing to Harbin flight a few years later where I might have been the only non smoker on the flight.  Plane musta looked like Spicoli's van when they cracked the doors.

4 hours ago, davidg said:

First airplane flight I ever took was a DFW-NRT nonstop riding in the back with a bunch of Japanese folks who smoked like chimneys.  Only to be surpassed by a flight from Beijing to Harbin flight a few years later where I might have been the only non smoker on the flight.  Plane musta looked like Spicoli's van when they cracked the doors.

just jumped right into the deep end with that

• Haha 1

I’ve been pretty understanding of ahh the Corona restrictions, but seriously got pissed of when me and my son went to get some new shorts.  All the dressing rooms are closed.  I’m not sure what the reasoning behind that is.  They all told me to buy whatever and return if it doesn’t fit.  
so their solution to stop the spread of a virus is to make their customers make two trips to the store instead of one?  I’m not sure what they think were going to do in the dressing room?  Touch the cloths?  Touch the door?  Lick the mirrors?  
I know they aren’t cleaning the bathrooms after each person uses it, so I’m not sure what trying in cloths does that is dirtier.  
I honestly though about buying the shorts, going straight to the shitter stall to try them on, then returning them.

• Like 1

I’ve been pretty understanding of ahh the Corona restrictions, but seriously got pissed of when me and my son went to get some new shorts.  All the dressing rooms are closed.  I’m not sure what the reasoning behind that is.  They all told me to buy whatever and return if it doesn’t fit.  
so their solution to stop the spread of a virus is to make their customers make two trips to the store instead of one?  I’m not sure what they think were going to do in the dressing room?  Touch the cloths?  Touch the door?  Lick the mirrors?  
I know they aren’t cleaning the bathrooms after each person uses it, so I’m not sure what trying in cloths does that is dirtier.  
I honestly though about buying the shorts, going straight to the shitter stall to try them on, then returning them.
This happened to me last year when I went to go buy a jacket. Wouldn't let me try anything on even just out on the floor in front of a mirror.

7 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Side note - the 7-11 near me still won't let you get a refill of coffee. Have to purchase their coffee in their cup. 

11 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Fuck the Silly Covid Rules. For example: Walmart has three exits and entrances. They shut down two of them. So instead of everyone equal spaced in 3 different locations, every jams into 1. NICE WORK ASSHOLES

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I don’t know what it is but I nearly half the shorts (like running or exercise shorts) I try on feel weird.  The legs are too short and ride up, and the front is too puffy  I end up with a giant pants tent when I sit and looks like I have a fupa when I stand.  

wear them backwards.  you're welcome.

my TTTMMS:

-motherfuckers who do all their shopping on Amazon

6 hours ago, Okie State said:
6 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

This happened to me last year when I went to go buy a jacket. Wouldn't let me try anything on even just out on the floor in front of a mirror.

Y’all are still buying off the rack?!?

Looking through a "vintage sportswear" site and they had a CCCP hockey jersey.

Unless you immigrated from the former Soviet Union or had some tie to the team; who the fuck could wear THAT fucking sweater?  

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Looking through a "vintage sportswear" site and they had a CCCP hockey jersey.

Unless you immigrated from the former Soviet Union or had some tie to the team; who the fuck could wear THAT fucking sweater?  

Without getting too CR, younger folks have no recollection of the horrific nature of totalitarian communism. It’s cool again.  

10 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Taking a shit in a port a potty. 

Sometimes you have no choice. But it does suck. 

3 hours ago, nnm said:

Without getting too CR, younger folks have no recollection of the horrific nature of totalitarian communism. It’s cool again.  

Is that along the lines of “those who fail to acknowledge/learn from history are doomed to repeat it” kinda thing?

34 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Add 25 degree temps in a snow storm........

I see your 25 degrees and snow. 

I raise you 102 degrees with 95% relative humidity on a treeless asphalt parking lot just off the Gulf Freeway in Houston the day after Mexican Independence Day. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I raise you 102 degrees with 95% relative humidity on a treeless asphalt parking lot just off the Gulf Freeway in Houston the day after Mexican Independence Day. 

I give I give....... my ass sticking to a toilet seat doesn't seem sop bad now.

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

70 last Monday, Tuesday was 35 with 3” of snow. Thankfully ground temps didn’t let it hang around long.

This Monday, 1 week later, 84. Tuesday? 86. Wed down to 70, then mid to upper 70’s through next weekend.

Last Wed was almost 60, and been mid 60’s pushing 70 since. Tomorrow is allegedly going to be 72.

That shit sucks ass. Pick a fucking season already. It has the feel of going from heat on, then straight to ac on. No real time to have the windows open for a few weeks at least to air it all out and let the pollen in. 🙄

Fast food people wanting $15 an hour.

Got damn how hard is this job? Kiddo wanted a dry grilled chicken sandwich from sonic, thats it. We get home and it is a double cheese burger with japs. Go back, politely tell them the order is wrong. They fix it.

Get the next one out and before we leave we check it. Another hamburger. Third time was a charm though. But yea, they deserve $31k a year.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Fast food people wanting $15 an hour.

Got damn how hard is this job? Kiddo wanted a dry grilled chicken sandwich from sonic, thats it. We get home and it is a double cheese burger with japs. Go back, politely tell them the order is wrong. They fix it.

Get the next one out and before we leave we check it. Another hamburger. Third time was a charm though. But yea, they deserve $31k a year.

Also not meant to be a career cooking fries. Move up and better yourself. Not to mention nobody wants to pay $15 for a shit cheeseburger. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1