Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Gas grill that won't light, won't light, won't light, FIREBALL!

Singed the hair right off my arm. 

Propane tank went empty on me few months back while I was cooking.  Swapped the tank out opened the valve on the tank... lifted the lid and for some reason hit the ignitor.... FWOOOOM.  Had left the valves open from when the tank ran out previously.   Lost a little bit of facial hair.  

• Like 2

On 4/24/2021 at 6:57 AM, Brothahorn said:

Taking a shit in a port a potty. 

It's all about perspective...

Obviously, if I prefer my own fortress of solitude and TBH...  I still cringe about taking a crap in a bowling alley around 20 years ago(shudder).  But given your choices of crapping in 5 gallon bucket, or a toilet seat chair over a hole in the ground for all mother nature to see, or a porta-potty... that porta-potty is gonna be like taking a dump at the Ritz.  

Just saying.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2021 at 2:58 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

I ended up buying some on Amazon.  And eventually returned them because returning things to Amazon is way easier.  These dumb fucks basically taking away the only reason to buy cloths in the store.  
i have to get some shoes here in a month or so.  Do they at least let you try on shoes?

Order three pairs in three different sizes, return the two that don't fit.

Covid + amazon taking over the world =  no reason to leave the house.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

you never know if a tomato or strawberry is going to be sweet, or just watery and flavorless.  buying that shit is like a lottery drawing

I cant honestly say I've ever had a really good strawberry. We have a tomato around here that is or used to be amazing for tomato sammiches. Hanover tomatoes, but I haven't had a good one of those in a long time. I think the soil may be depleted from over farming the variety.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I cant honestly say I've ever had a really good strawberry. We have a tomato around there that is or used to be amazing for tomato sammiches. Hanover tomatoes, but I haven't had a good one of those in a long time. I think the soil may be depleted from over farming the variety.

its about 1/5 batches that i find strawberries with nice aroma and a dense sweet punch.  i buy them at the grocery stores, so never keep track of varietals or farms or anything like that - just whatevers available.  and definitely the color and size does NOT inform the taste.

50 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I cant honestly say I've ever had a really good strawberry.

This place in SC (near Charlotte NC) had the BEST strawberries I've ever had. Little farm that grew them in hothouses in winter and only yielded so many buckets a day. Many days if you didn't call and reserve ahead you didn't get any. The colder the winter, the better the strawberries were, and the season only lasted a month or two. I even carried a bucket of them on a plane across the country to share with family. No idea what variety they were, and they were often ugly and misshapen. But holy hell they were good.

https://www.bushnvinefarm.com/

https://g.page/bushnvinefarm?share

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

you never know if a tomato or strawberry is going to be sweet, or just watery and flavorless.  buying that shit is like a lottery drawing

that's why I grow my own. Tomatoes are pretty easy, but the strawberries aren't much of a return for the effort, but the relatively short, small harvest is out of site.

37 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

that's why I grow my own. Tomatoes are pretty easy, but the strawberries aren't much of a return for the effort, but the relatively short, small harvest is out of site.

This is how you do it right here.

I keep two 4x4 spots with strawberries going, with a third spot that I rotate with. 

Strawberries are an interesting grow. Plant them in spring, and pinch the blossoms that first year so they can focus on building out runners. Next year, bam!

I plant the third spot the year before one of the other two will be ready to come out. That leaves me 2 plots for picking every year. Half gets turned into jam, the other half gets shortcaked.

Tomatoes right off the vine is the only way to do it. Maybe if there is a good farmers market, but even then not all are good. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I've worked from home for most of the last 19 years.  I'd fucking hate to have to go to an office on a daily basis.  I am ready to get in front of customers and prospects again, though. 

In 2019 I spent 100 days on the road (domestically and internationally) mostly in front of customers and prospects.  I really miss that aspect of my job.  I have not been on a plane since March 5, 2020.  All of my customer interface has been through Teams.  I did make one driving trip to visit a mine just outside of Mesa, AZ late last summer.

I have been working from home since March 2020.  I have no intentions on going back to the office on a permanent basis.  One of the major reasons is that we are building a new office complex that will predominately feature cubicles and doing away with offices.  I have had a office with a door for 30 years!  Few are happy about the new building. 

15 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Fuck cubicles, and the people who think they are an acceptable idea.

But, but, but, they "promote" communication and collaboration!!!!!! (as everyone wears headphones for privacy and/or locks themselves into the "buzzword" meeting spaces alone).

There are going to be a lot of empty spaces in the new building since moving forward many people will opt to work from home.

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I've worked from home for most of the last 19 years.  I'd fucking hate to have to go to an office on a daily basis.  I am ready to get in front of customers and prospects again, though. 

Narrator: customers and prospects aren't though, they've enjoyed your absence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

But, but, but, they "promote" communication and collaboration!!!!!! (as everyone wears headphones for privacy and/or locks themselves into the "buzzword" meeting spaces alone).

There are going to be a lot of empty spaces in the new building since moving forward many people will opt to work from home.

I wonder how many companies will realize the cost savings and productivity increase,  and encourage more people to work from home now that they know it works?

Still better than working in an open office space.

I can do you one better. At one company I worked at, for a little while one dickhead manager thought it would be great if the projects teams sat at the trading tables. So open, no walls and next to each other like sitting at an elementary lunch table. What a dickhead.

11 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I wonder how many companies will realize the cost savings and productivity increase,  and encourage more people to work from home now that they know it works?

Going forward, yes. However, most businesses have already purchased their space or are in long-term leases. 

I read a report last night that 75% of managers were expecting their employees to return to the office in the next 60 days.

In their eyes, if they can't see you, they can't manage you. It will take a generational change to alter this dynamic.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I can do you one better. At one company I worked at, for a little while one dickhead manager thought it would be great if the projects teams sat at the trading tables. So open, no walls and next to each other like sitting at an elementary lunch table. What a dickhead.

I can neither confirm nor deny if that was attempted once at my place of employment. Did. Not. Last. A. Month. 

16 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Going forward, yes. However, most businesses have already purchased their space or are in long-term leases. 

I read a report last night that 75% of managers were expecting their employees to return to the office in the next 60 days.

In their eyes, if they can't see you, they can't manage you. It will take a generational change to alter this dynamic.

Oh some can’t get out of it for sure. There are places out there that can, and may do just that. Some at least downsize their footprint most likely. 

1 minute ago, thunderlounge said:

Oh some can’t get out of it for sure. There are places out there that can, and may do just that. Some at least downsize their footprint most likely. 

It's going to take some creative real estate management to build "multi use" office space for companies that have most of their employees work from home. The Corner Office will be dead in 50 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Narrator: customers and prospects aren't though, they've enjoyed your absence.

Absolutely this. I hate cold call visits or you stopping by to see how we are. I'm not your fucking friend. I buy shit from you and I will let you know when I need more shit. And you wear too much cologne, fucker.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I was too cheap to pony up for a wireless xbox controller for my PC, went to Gamestop and bought a decent controller with a six foot cord. It works fine but the fucking cord has to twist itself up in 4 spots for some reason, making the effective length of the cord about a foot long. So I have to uncoil the thing every time I use it, then watch it flip back.