2020 General MLB off-season

Mo Horn

SAN DIEGO — Major League Baseball’s investigation into the Astros likely will not be completed until after the new year, sources with knowledge of the investigation told The Athletic. The league’s department of investigations has more than 70,000 emails to examine as it tries to understand the scope of the Astros’ electronic sign-stealing efforts.

Commissioner Rob Manfred has publicly committed to a thorough investigation, placing the onus on his office to ensure that its findings can stand the test of time. A report shown to be incomplete would be a wart on the league’s credibility.

The Athletic reported in November that the 2017 Astros stole signs electronically with the aid of a center-field camera fixed on the catcher’s signs. More difficult for the league than vetting the depths of the 2017 scheme is its determination of what happened in 2018 and 2019, if anything. MLB has leads it is pursuing relating to the 2018 Astros, sources said. The violations suggested by those leads were not nearly at the same level of those that took place in ’17, and any wrongdoing, if it occurred, may have been more sporadic in nature.

The investigation, which began Nov. 12, has already raised passions across the sport, dominating the chatter at the Winter Meetings this week in San Diego. In November, owners and team presidents did not hold back at the league’s owners meetings, sources said.

Other teams want the Astros to receive severe punishments.

“This is his Landis moment,” one executive in the sport said recently of Manfred, referring to commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis’ handling of the 1919 White Sox cheating scandal.

19 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

His landis moment, gtfo. He had no spine when the red sox and yankees were caught. Cant hammer 1 franchise when others have been caught.

I like how Astros fans try and act like what the Astros were doing is the exact same as what other teams have been caught doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I like how Astros fans try and act like what the Astros were doing is the exact same as what other teams have been caught doing.

I like how some Astros fans ignore that when Manfred announced the Boston penalty, he stated "Moreover, all 30 Clubs have been notified that future violations of this type will be subject to more serious sanctions, including the possible loss of draft picks," and yet the Astros were doing their thing in the Fahrquar game (which is a smoking gun if I've ever seen one) literally 7 days after that announcement.  

• Like 1

So you enjoy sitting through multiple pitching changes in the same inning?

It’s a part of baseball whether I enjoy it or not. I would rather my team be able to go with the best matchup.

Now if a pitcher comes in during a high leverage situation and doesn’t have it, he has to pitch to that 3rd batter after walking the first 2 because rulez.

If you take bigger issue with too many pitching changes over that then well, I have nothing for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

That is a lot cheaper than I expected.  Great deal for the DBacks.  He will help out their young pitchers, too.  

5 years for MadBum is the reason.  He may have 2-3 left in him.  That's probably why he didn't break the $100 mil mark