2020 General MLB off-season

Mo Horn

7 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

There is not a football fan alive who wouldn't be fine with the Patriots model. It's actually aggy to take the fake moral highground loser stance which Ranger fans seem to be slipping into. 

That isn't saying that the NFL or MLB shouldn't try to stop it. But the fan perspective is about winning. 

And I will tell you this too. I'd rather our football program be where Bama or LSU's is than where ours is.  I also don't think we are sparkling clean anyway, so why not?  Winning washes away a lot of things.  

There you have it. Pathetic 

9 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

And I will tell you this too. I'd rather our football program be where Bama or LSU's is than where ours is.  I also don't think we are sparkling clean anyway, so why not?  Winning washes away a lot of things.  

What about what Baylor was doing a few years ago? Or Florida in their late 2000s heyday by having Hernandez on the team? Did winning make that all ok?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What about what Baylor was doing a few years ago? Or Florida in their late 2000s heyday by having Hernandez on the team? Did winning make that all ok?

Only Florida won anything, and I don't recall their fans complaining. 

You'd actually be hard pressed to find a clean CFB champion in the game's history though.  Much like you'd be hard pressed to find an MLB team that didn't ever steal signs during a given season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Even in a slap fight between idiots, there has to be a winner and a loser. 

Congrats. With this post, you lose. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Only Florida won anything, and I don't recall their fans complaining. 

You'd actually be hard pressed to find a clean CFB champion in the game's history though.  Much like you'd be hard pressed to find an MLB team that didn't ever steal signs during a given season.

Not everybody is the perfect person in the world. Everyone does—kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me.

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

You are a fan of an organization that is well acquainted with doing just that. 

I'm still waiting to hear how many MLB players/coaches/front office personnel you have talked to since the Astros got punished.  You keep mentioning how the rest of the league is pissed at Fiers because of all of this.  Man up and show your sources.

Back in the 50s and early 60s there was a middlin' pitcher for the Giants named Al Worthington. An Alabama native, Worthington was a religious man, and his faith was deepened when he was born-again at Billy Graham revival meeting in 1958.

By 1959, he was fed up with all the cheating Bill Rigney's Giants were doing in their attempt to keep the Dodgers at bay. He told Rigney that if they would just all put their faith in Jesus Christ, then they would have no need of stealing signs and such. What's more, he said, if Rigney would not stop stealing signs, he would refuse to pitch.

Rigney claims that he did stop stealing signs. And the Giants pissed away a two-game lead over the Dodgers in the last week of the season. They were even no-hit as part of a three-game Dodger sweep.

The Giants traded Worthington to the Red Sox the next year. He barely lasted a week in Boston before they shipped him off to the White Sox, who then had, as their general manager, Hank Greenberg, who would admit in his posthumously-released autobiography,  that the 1940 Detroit Tigers had stolen signs on the way to their World Series win, and that his White Sox also stole signs en route to their 1959 World Series win. 

Worthington's manager there was Al Lopez, a star for the 1948 Cleveland Indians, a team that pretty much publicly stole signs all the way down the stretch and right through the World Series, taunting all the crybabies in their wake. Two years later, Red Sox manager Steve O'Brien was still whining about it. The Indians sent him a gift bag with a pair of toy binoculars.

This arrangement would not do for Worthington at all. Greenberg and Lopez tried to reason with him, but their Goody Two Shoes pitcher wouldn't hear a word of it. He wound up quitting the team in the middle of the year.

And then was persona non grata for three years. No major league team would take him. "We tried to sell him," Greenberg said, "but everyone thought he was some kind of cuckoo."

Eventually Worthington did make it back to bigs and ended his career with the Twins, as a pretty good relief pitcher with a fair number of saves.

"But the greatest save I ever got was myself," he said.

Barf.

Anyway, later he wound up coaching baseball at Liberty University. The stadium there used to be named after him, but isn't anymore. 

And he never won the World Series.

The End.

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

I'm still waiting to hear how many MLB players/coaches/front office personnel you have talked to since the Astros got punished.  You keep mentioning how the rest of the league is pissed at Fiers because of all of this.  Man up and show your sources.

There aren't too many major league baseball players coming out in support of ol' Mike Fiers.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

There aren't too many major league baseball players coming out in support of ol' Mike Fiers.

So you haven't talked to anyone?  I have and they're not happy.  They also say that everyone else is also pissed at the Astros.

Edited by txhorns

6 hours ago, David Dennison said:

JD Martinez, Mike Clevinger, Trevor Bauer, Alex Wood

And here's the list of major league baseball players coming out in support of ol' Alex Bregman:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, txhorns said:

So you haven't talked to anyone?  I have and they're not happy.  They also say that everyone else is also pissed at the Astros.

Lol. Here's a tip. When you are trying to call someone a liar, you shouldn't transparently lie yourself. 

Here is the thing about people who talk to "they." "They" never actually exist.  You could have sold your lie better by naming the name of some random roster filler from an area other than Texas.

Edited by FondrenRoad

Well looky here, Pedro agrees with Dennison.

"If he was to do it when he was playing for the Houston Astros I would say Mike Fiers has guts. But to go and do it after you leave the Houston Astros because they don't have you anymore, that doesn't show me anything," the Hall of Fame pitcher recently told Rob Bradford, Lou Merloni, and Mike Mutnansky of WEEI. "You’re just a bad teammate."

"If you tell me that Mike Fiers is coming to my team and you already threw your team under the bus, the team that you used to play for ... Now everybody knows you are going to have a whistle-blower in any other situation too," the three-time Cy Young winner continued. "Whatever happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse and Fiers broke the rules."

Getting closer. 

Commissioner Rob Manfred said Major League Baseball plans to use a computerized camera system to call balls and strikes during spring training games this year, expanding the sport's implementation of "robot umpires."

Manfred announced MLB's plans Wednesday during an interview with Fox Business Network, saying that the "camera-based system" will be "more accurate than a human being standing there."

"We believe over the long haul it's going to be more accurate," Manfred said. "It will reduce controversy in the game and be good for the game."

Manfred also said baseball would start using the camera system for balls and strikes in "some of our minor league(s) this year."

MLB began experimenting with a computerized strike zone last year in the independent Atlantic League. Plate umpires, crouched in their normal position behind the catcher, wore earpieces connected to a phone that relayed ball or strike calls from a camera system.

Baseball also used the system in the Arizona Fall League this past year.

Manfred cautioned Wednesday that referring to the system as "robots may be an overstatement," and emphasized that "from the fans' perspective, it looks exactly like it looks today."

"We think it's more accurate than a human being standing there," Manfred said. "The current strike zone design is actually three-dimensional, and a camera is better at calling a three-dimensional strike zone than the human eye."

On 1/22/2020 at 9:20 AM, Beau Vine said:

Derek Jeter is busy destroying the Marlins and that assclown wants him to show MLB "the way?"

He’s building a competitor, yeah they’re having a rough few years but you’d be an idiot to think they won’t be a force in a few seasons.

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

He’s building a competitor, yeah they’re having a rough few years but you’d be an idiot to think they won’t be a force in a few seasons.

Why do you say that?  Because JETER?

I like some of their younger pieces and I think I might bet them over their win total but to say that he has been making savvy move after savvy move would be daft at best.

2 hours ago, huge said:

Why do you say that?  Because JETER?

I like some of their younger pieces and I think I might bet them over their win total but to say that he has been making savvy move after savvy move would be daft at best.

He unloaded Stanton, who will in all likelihood never play more than 30 games in a season the rest of his career. That kind of foresight shows that Jeter has a knack for seeing future areas of concern & addressing them promptly. He’s also surrounded himself with really bright baseball minds. All the elements are there for a winner to be built.

Fwiw I’m picking the marlins as my NL wildcard dark horse this year. They’re gonna surprise a ton of folks. 

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He unloaded Stanton, who will in all likelihood never play more than 30 games in a season the rest of his career. That kind of foresight shows that Jeter has a knack for seeing future areas of concern & addressing them promptly.

Calling that foresight is.....ummmm.......specious at best.

As far as the rest of the post, fine.  The Marlins are going to be a good bad team I think.  If that makes sense.

33 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He unloaded Stanton, who will in all likelihood never play more than 30 games in a season the rest of his career. That kind of foresight shows that Jeter has a knack for seeing future areas of concern & addressing them promptly.

He unloaded everyone with a moderately big salary, including the guy who immediately went on to win MVP on a $7M salary.  That's some great foresight. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

He unloaded everyone with a moderately big salary, including the guy who immediately went on to win MVP on a $7M salary.  That's some great foresight. 

Yeah the top prospect he got in the Yelich deal was supposed to be Brinson, who hit .173/.236/.221 and struck out 30% of his PAs in Miami last year at age 25. That's not looking great. He's not a lost cause, but he'll need to improve dramatically in a hurry. 

2 hours ago, ss13 said:

No, you’re right, Brinson fucking sucks. 

Verdad,  He's about to be 26, and he can't hit his fucking weight and he strikes out more than JerseyMan10.  He is what he is, and that is a vortex of suck.  Yet another guy who got wildly overrated because of his athleticism, but simply can't play baseball.